Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So the two fight, along with the other Avengers. I assume someone is going to get killed off to make the stakes higher. Rhodey is the most obvious choice since that's super personal for Tony.

A couple of leaks have said that brainwashed Bucky is revealed to have been the one who murdered Stark's parents as Winter Soldier alluded to, which also enrages Stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

I presume because that is basically all he has before his head explodes.

According to the leaks, when Enchantress reveals that she's the villain, Slipknot sides with her and promptly gets cranial bombed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Burkion posted:

By the end, at that moment where he's fist fighting Tony and is all torn up and broken down, he repeats his line from the first movie before he ever even got powers. What he told the bullies. He could do this all day.

Stark is a bully in the eyes of Rogers and is treated as such by the narrative.

And Cap may well be picking a completely unnecessary fight. Chris Evans has said before that his read on the character is that Rogers is quick to pick a fight where words would do a better job, and quick to take self-sacrificing options when a problem can be thought around. Steve has no life or mentality outside being Captain America. All he knows how to do is fight.

I want to see him wrong. I want to see Cap wrestle with making a genuine fuckup. Because he hasn't made one yet. He's been misguided and trusted the wrong people, but never genuinely wrong. I want to see what happens to Captain America when he realizes he's made a genuine mistake that's gotten people hurt if not killed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is what actually sets off the Civil War

Nah, Civil War is just a love triangle between a cute but naive guy who just wants to do well, his childhood best friend who fell into bad habits but is trying to be better, and a charming but flighty New York socialite.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One thing I have to give Man of Steel, while rewatching it yesterday, is that Supes' final battle with Zod is my favorite action sequence in any modern superhero movie. The sound design and especially the music does a lot to sell it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LGD posted:

Imo, it would be way more interesting to see something like an in-depth examination of what a highly moral version of the Purple Man would be like- in that case your powers seems like a legitimate curse, because reflexively exuding a zone of mind control in which everyone tries to please you and does everything that you ask would mean that you'd likely need to take extreme measures to avoid unduly influencing anyone, and you'd never be sure how genuine any of your interactions were (Jessica Jones obviously touched on this a little, but Killgrave was a monster and his self-pitying justifications were not meant to be taken at face value)

Honestly? The only things that jump to mind are hermitage or joining a monastery with a vow of silence.

Or, I suppose, just writing/typing everything you want to say.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the subject of a new and exciting pointless slapfight, press reviews of BvS are starting to roll in, and they're not positive.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are supposed to be like New Jersey and NYC; where one is just across the river. Although it makes Man of Steel's geography really weird retroactively.

Or the example Snyder used, San Francisco and Oakland.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just got back from it. Fun movie, but not a very good one and I kept annoying my sister by giggling at moments that were clearly supposed to be tense and dramatic. Batman, Wonder Woman, and Lex were all great, Superman was boring and Lois was a shallow damsel in distress. Also tries way too hard to set up a big epic DC universe with Darkseid as the big bad.

Not that I think there's a lot that can be done with Doomsday, but he's just a CGI monster. Bit of a waste.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phylodox posted:

Wait, someone flamethrowers Ma Kent?!? What the ever loving hell?!? I'm starting to feel like I should see this movie just to witness firsthand how insane it is.

Like...is this Zach Snyder's complete emotional breakdown in film form or something?

No. Lex Luthor has a goon set to do so, but Batman happens.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Batfleck goes through a pretty clear evolution in the movie. At the start, he doesn't believe anyone can be genuinely good and stay that way. He's old, weary, and cynical - he outright asks Alfred how many good guys are left in Gotham after twenty years of being Batman and how many stayed that way. Superman rekindles Bruce's faith in mankind, and Wonder Woman's.

It looks like in the movie Justice League, Wonder Woman and Batman will be the leaders while Superman is the emotional heart of the team.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhyno posted:

WHO WAS THE WOMAN IN BRUCE'S BED OH MY GOD THAT'S A PLOT HOLE.

Is the kind of discussion I am seeing on Facebook right now.

I was legit curious about that, actually. :v: Maybe a similarly older, grizzled Talia al'Ghul?

Not that any of the four women in this movie ever speak to another about anything but Superman, and of the four two are damsels in distress and a third is killed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skwirl posted:

The dead one doesn't actually ever say anything does she?

She does. It's the senator. Lois and Martha Kent, then Wonder Woman.

Also, Marvel put together a video about the lead-up to Civil War.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lomzus posted:

and the greatest

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For what it's worth regarding the rogue(s) for the solo Batfleck movie, according to the leaks and comments most of the Squad was put in prison by Batman and that Batfleck will show up in one or two flashbacks. So Batfleck has gone up against and defeated Harley Quinn (and punched out Joker's teeth), Croc, Boomerang, Deadshot, Slipknot, and Diablo. Katana and Enchantress are there by other means.

I'd like to see a non-Jim Carrey version of the Riddler, maybe. Or a non-Schwarzeneggar version of Mister Freeze.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bring back old gbs posted:

Daaaaang maybe the Joker = Robin rumor/speculation is true.

Eh, according to the supposed leaks. Batman had a hand in the Squad's formation and Katana works for him as his spy on the team.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pirate Jet posted:

It's not a question of whether they'll ditch Chris Evans, it's a question of whether he'll ditch them. Doesn't his contract end after phase 3?

As does RDJ's. They're in through Infinity War, after that all bets are off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if IW Part 1 downplays a lot of the original Avengers so they can dramatically return in part 2 for various reasons.

This matches what the Marvel guys have said, that the different IW parts will focus on different Avenger teams to keep the spotlight spread out rather than trying to jam absolutely everyone into a satisfying role in one movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harlock posted:

Except that goddamn Batman Forever made a ton of money

Batman Forever was a fun, silly, entertaining movie featuring incredibly over the top villains and visuals. I think it's an ideal Batman-for-kids film.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhyno posted:

The villains have clearly been around a long time, they didn't all just pop up in that 2 year period.

Also, a lot of the Squad don't have flashy metahuman powers. Croc, Diablo, and Enchantress, sure, but Slipknot, Boomerang, Harley, Katana, and the Joker aren't supernatural or obviously inhuman. Even Croc could be rationalized as just a dude with a really rare and horrible skin condition.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I enjoyed the Doctor Strange trailer, and it seems nicely in line with the Civil War supercut where the president talks about incidents - disasters - involving superhuman forces that have been growing in number and scale. First aliens attack New York, then aliens attack London, then flying battleships go down over Washington, then half of Sokovia is lifted into the sky and explodes. Now New York is going to turn into a real-life M. C. Escher drawing.

I wonder if there will be an RDJ cameo where Iron Man sees what's happening from Avengers Tower and just sits back in a chair with a huge bottle of bourbon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TetsuoTW posted:

I suspect that "real-life" might be a stretch.

I'm well aware it's a movie and the effects are CGI, thanks. I was talking about in-setting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Electromax posted:

At the end Nick Fury will show up in Strange's house and explain that all the magic was just nanobots developed by Shield but they're being hacked by Hydra so all the magic is about to Go Evil unless Doc does something about it.

There's been a lot of speculation that Strange will be dealing with the Soul gem. Sounds plausible enough.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harlock posted:

That's the point

Cap is subverting the idea of what's best for America because he is disillusioned with what America stands for despite being its icon

According to some of the reviews, Cap is disillusioned and distrustful of authority in this movie, and he hates the idea Stark keeps bringing up of ending or preventing the fight so everyone can go home. Cap has nothing in his life except the fight, and no home to go to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I said come in! posted:

Is this why he appears to be so protective of Bucky? Best friends and all that but Bucky committed some pretty serious war crimes.

From what I've gathered, yes. Cap sacrificed everything he was and might have been when he became Captain America, with one exception: Bucky. Bucky is the one and only lifeline Cap still has to the person he used to be.

This was also apparently supposed to be Cap's main thrust in Age of Ultron: his greatest fear, as demonstrated by Scarlet Witch, is winning and having nothing to fight for. Cap dreads being a supersoldier in a world that doesn't need a supersoldier. Even Chris Evans brought it up in an interview, that he plays Cap as a person who doesn't put on a costume or gear to become a superhero, Captain America is his primary identity day in and day out, and this in Evans' mind is a large source of Cap's friction with people like Stark, Banner, and Romanov - people who punch their time cards when they put on the suits, then clock out at the end of the day and go back to being normal, everyday people.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I said come in! posted:

From the trailers, I really like the way in which Steve views Bucky, with compassion and understanding. There's this complex relationship between the two that for the audience feels uncomfortable because you know what Bucky did as a brainwashed soldier, but have to appreciate the loyalty Steve has to his best friend even though he almost died because of it.

Still, you have to reckon with the fact that Bucky has killed a shitload of people, and one point raised in the movie according to reviews is the fact that Bucky was brainwashed by Hydra for a long time. At best, he's massively, massively traumatized, and the UN - who created the Sokovia Accords - feel that Bucky should at best be in a very, very secure mental hospital for a long time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josh Lyman posted:

You don't think "What he has always been is just a person who keeps on fighting, against anything and anyone" is a character flaw?

Also a man who doesn't know how to stop fighting because his only identity is as a soldier. That's a hell of a character flaw, especially for a man who's supposed to represent the best ideals of America.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He is literally told "You''re a soldier without a war" and then strongly implies that he would rather keep fighting for what he believes in rather than ending a war. He also tells Nick Fury that he doesn't trust people who believe in world peace.

Cap definitely has a case of forever war syndrome.

Also, look at his Scarlet Witch vision: his greatest fear is victory, the war ending.

Bucky is, at best, a cyborg super-soldier with the world's worst case of PTSD. Who the gently caress would say yes, let's trust him with a gun and freedom to do whatever he wants because his best friend says he won't shoot anyone?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shageletic posted:

Since writers tend to be left as hell, this is a hard proposition. Nick Fury, in his MAX books, definitely. Other heroes? Its kind of sad that I can't think of any. Goes to show that there should be more focus on creating identities that match how people are like in real life (not just one thing). Superman, in that weird rear end storyline Grounded. Mr. A? Man, someone needs to post some Mr. A panels.

Tony Stark reads to me like a standard libertarian Republican.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Tony Stark, Iron Man 2: "No you can't have my suit! And don't tell me what to do!"
Tony Stark, Iron Man 3: "Talking poo poo to the Mandarin is not a bad idea at all! Don't tell me what to do!"
Tony Stark, AoU: "No, I AM gonna make a robot helper. Twice! Don't tell me what to do!"
Tony Stark, Civil War: "Being told what to do by the U.N.? Sounds good."

According to the reviews, Tony is finally carrying over his character development and going "You know what? I hosed up big time, and I am sick and tired of watching people die because of people like me thinking they know better than everyone else. Ultron was the last straw."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah like, Iron Man's been in exactly one good movie so I'm not super enthused to stan for him, but it seems completely reasonable for someone like him to arrive at a lesson like this way too late and overcorrect for it as a result

I think that may be the fundamental divide between Tony and Steve. Steve is in it to fight bad guys. Tony is in it to fix problems. These are not the same thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think it's simpler: Tony is very aware of how flawed he is and when he fucks up. He is intensely driven to fix the problems he's caused due to his grave sense of personal responsibility. Whether he actually manages to fix anything rather than simply replace old problems with new ones is up to the viewer to decide - do note that he's ultimately right to be suspicious of SHIELD.

Tony displays a self-awareness and ability for self-reflection that Cap entirely lacks. Cap is utterly and completely certain in himself, he does not ever question himself or doubt that he is doing the right thing. He may at times trust the wrong people, but Cap never pauses to consider whether or not he's right, or admit culpability for the negative consequences of his actions.

Cap has moral and ethical purity. Tony has personal responsibility and, in his own twisted way vis a vis Cap, humility.

Tony is never afraid to admit it when he's hosed up, and he's always first in line to fix the problems he's caused. Cap has never admitted he's caused any problems.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TetsuoTW posted:

On the other hand I'm not entirely convinced Tilda Swinton is even human, I'm not sure what that does to whitewashing concerns.

I'm fine with the Ancient One as an androgynous, otherworldly figure.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wheeee posted:

I still want to know where he keeps getting his arrows from though, given that in every scene through the entire climactic sequence his quiver is stuffed full, from beginning straight through to the end where the extreme toll of the battle is shown by his arms being dirty with a couple scuff marks. Is there a little Iron Man supply robot flying around stocking him up?

In Stark Tower beforehand he's explicitly shown grabbing several collapsible bundles of arrows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

site posted:

Captain marvel is on the list for 2018 or something. The solo movie is what they're casting for.

According to the Marvel execs, she's also supposed to be the single most powerful hero in the Marvel movie-verse and lives on the cosmic side of things.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Burkion posted:

Like what war did the Punisher serve in? Vietraq

Eh, the Daredevil series explicitly put Frank Castle in his thirties and a veteran of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Marky Marx posted:

Is it just me or is it that comic book movies fail the hardest/are least popular with hardcore fans when they take popular characters and don't do them justice?

Deadpool in Wolverine Origins
Dr Doom in any Fantastic Four movie (maybe with the exception of that one that got his look right but hosed everything else up)
Batman and Superman in Batman V Superman
(I can literally make this list forever)

Batman is not the problem in Batman V Superman. He's fine and dandy, if suffering somewhat from Not MY Batman!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ungulateman posted:

I like how we were discussing tony stark wanting to gently caress aunt may like, a week ago, and we've managed to come full circle to old-man-superhero loving young-man-superhero's mom

At least in Tony Stark's case it's Tony Stark and thus completely in character for him to sleep with any reasonably attractive woman who says yes. And Tony Stark is quite a step up from, say, Doc Ock if you have a thing for mad scientists. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Everything else though is completely up in the air now that I think about it. Wonder Woman already has a pretty huge variety of very different origin stories. Sometimes she's made out of clay, sometimes she's the child of Hippolyta (the name of Wonder Woman's mother) and Ares, the god of War. For a while, Diana was the second Wonder Woman, with her mom Hippolyta being the original back in World War 2 times.

The thing is we're dealing with Zack Snyder. Who know's what the gently caress he'll do? It could very well be none of these.

DC suits have said that movie-verse WW is the daughter of Zeus and a genuine demigoddess per the New 52 origin.

• Locked thread