Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Dr. Strange care levels up from a 4 to 11.

Also, slowly taking back any doubts I had about Cumberbatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Doctor Strange seriously reminds me a lot of The Shadow from that trailer, except with 20 more years of cinematic technology and a bigger budget.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Watched the trailer, still don't have any idea what the movie is going to be about

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That Doctor Strange trailer looks like Inception if you watched it through a kaleidoscope.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Huh, have been fully expecting doc strange to suck but that actually looks pretty good. The "teach me" moment sells it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I never go into Suicide Squad and I don't understand the logic of its premise. The SS is this government black ops program composed of supervillains who do black ops missions for the government in exchange for having their records expunged. How can the government do that? What if Deadshot, an assassin with multiple convictions, is caught trying murder someone after being released from the Suicide Squad? Won't that lead to awkward questions? Won't people ask "hey, how come this convicted murderer is walking free with no record?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
They will say that this isn't Deadshot, it's obviously his cousin Deadshoot.

Because the government is good at covering its tracks.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
It's obviously one of those things the story doesn't want you to think about, such as "well how does Batman deal with traffic when he drives around in a very conspicuous vehicle?"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kurzon posted:

It's obviously one of those things the story doesn't want you to think about, such as "well how does Batman deal with traffic when he drives around in a very conspicuous vehicle?"

Wayne Industries pushed for a contract managing the traffic lights

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
crosspost with some up to the minute batman news :ssh:

Rime posted:

How bad has Batman gotten? I remember the bridge bombing, and there was a firefight outside my hotel up in Tatvan, but Batman was super chill compared to Van or Doughbeyazit when I went through.

Batman is pretty huge though, unlikely something could go down there without it leaking out.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Kurzon posted:

I never go into Suicide Squad and I don't understand the logic of its premise. The SS is this government black ops program composed of supervillains who do black ops missions for the government in exchange for having their records expunged. How can the government do that? What if Deadshot, an assassin with multiple convictions, is caught trying murder someone after being released from the Suicide Squad? Won't that lead to awkward questions? Won't people ask "hey, how come this convicted murderer is walking free with no record?"

I think the trick here is that Waller never actually expunges their record, but keeps on saying "once we feel you've served your duty to society we'll put you back in it".

It's kind of silly to assume that a government employee who goes "we can use criminals to do our dirty work and plant bombs in their neck to keep them in line" is going to keep a promise she makes to convince said criminals to do said job. A bit of a carrot and a stick thing, except the carrot is imaginary.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I enjoyed the Doctor Strange trailer, and it seems nicely in line with the Civil War supercut where the president talks about incidents - disasters - involving superhuman forces that have been growing in number and scale. First aliens attack New York, then aliens attack London, then flying battleships go down over Washington, then half of Sokovia is lifted into the sky and explodes. Now New York is going to turn into a real-life M. C. Escher drawing.

I wonder if there will be an RDJ cameo where Iron Man sees what's happening from Avengers Tower and just sits back in a chair with a huge bottle of bourbon.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Now New York is going to turn into a real-life M. C. Escher drawing.
I suspect that "real-life" might be a stretch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm well aware it's a movie and the effects are CGI, thanks. I was talking about in-setting.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

TetsuoTW posted:

Who's to say which universe is "real" life? That's an awfully mono-Universal point of view, friend!

Other than Tilda Swinton, obviously.

gregday
May 23, 2003

The Dave posted:

They probably only have a very small amount of footage worth showing publicly this early.

We are looking at this movie through a keyhole.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MonsieurChoc posted:

FInally, the sequel to The Shadow I've been waiting for all these years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcZ4Pw2t_8

I'm not even kidding.

It looks like Batman Begins + Inception, not a bad direction. Also I'm cracking up at Chiwetel Ejiofor looking like Tiger Woods.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

gregday posted:

We are looking at this movie through a keyhole.

Is the a Marvel Villain called Peeping Tom?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Peeping_Tom_%28Earth-616%29

His design is... it's something.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I just had to ask, didn't I?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish Dr. Strange was rated R.

quote:

Spider-Man: Homecoming arrives July 7th, 2017. After announcing the title, Sony played a short teaser clip showing Robert Downey Jr’s Tony Stark visiting Peter and his Aunt May in his Queens apartment.

It’s so hard for me to believe that she’s someone’s aunt,” said Tony about May – a reference to the fact that Homecoming’s Aunt May, Marisa Tomei, is couple decades younger than Rosemary Harris was in the first Spider-Man film.

:yikes:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fateo McMurray posted:

Watched the trailer, still don't have any idea what the movie is going to be about

This is exactly what a good trailer should do. Show you some cool poo poo that makes no sense.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Harlock posted:

I wish Dr. Strange was rated R.

Why that, of all properties?

It's probably wishful thinking but I hope this is the vanishingly rare superhero movie that's about wonder and wisdom, not violence.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah Tony that's crazy that a 51 year old woman could be an Aunt.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's probably wishful thinking but I hope this is the vanishingly rare superhero movie that's about wonder and wisdom, not violence.
Just dealing with stuff of the Occult, demons, things like that. I think it gives you a wider berth for the imagery - not so much violence.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Also its pretty realistic for anyone in Strange's situation to say "WHAT THE gently caress" at least a few dozen times

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TetsuoTW posted:

Ideally the after credits stinger is Benedict Cumberbatch wakes up in 70s garb and the entire MCU was a dream being had by his character in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At least they're seemingly going into full on magic. Supposedly one of the Creative Committee notes for THOR was that they have to have some real world scientific explanation for how Thor was able to cross over etc.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Cameo posted:

I think the trick here is that Waller never actually expunges their record, but keeps on saying "once we feel you've served your duty to society we'll put you back in it".

It's kind of silly to assume that a government employee who goes "we can use criminals to do our dirty work and plant bombs in their neck to keep them in line" is going to keep a promise she makes to convince said criminals to do said job. A bit of a carrot and a stick thing, except the carrot is imaginary.

I know there's a bit of "Muh Waller" to it but I'm a little sad they won't be likely to base her off of DCAU Waller.

As different as I hear she is from the comics.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

At least they're seemingly going into full on magic. Supposedly one of the Creative Committee notes for THOR was that they have to have some real world scientific explanation for how Thor was able to cross over etc.

At the end Nick Fury will show up in Strange's house and explain that all the magic was just nanobots developed by Shield but they're being hacked by Hydra so all the magic is about to Go Evil unless Doc does something about it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

That poo poo was so stupid, particularly when it resulted in the second one being a mediocre space opera in Thor's clothing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

Yeah Tony that's crazy that a 51 year old woman could be an Aunt.

The joke is she still looks amazing and could probably pass for 35. Not the kind of woman people typically think of when they imagine Aunt May.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The joke is that Aunt May is fuckable.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In the R-rated director's cut, Tony can just come right out and say that. We're in the post-deadpool era now, everything has changed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Electromax posted:

At the end Nick Fury will show up in Strange's house and explain that all the magic was just nanobots developed by Shield but they're being hacked by Hydra so all the magic is about to Go Evil unless Doc does something about it.

There's been a lot of speculation that Strange will be dealing with the Soul gem. Sounds plausible enough.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Peter, that's your AUNT? She's got a tight rear end!!!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like Peter is getting an Uncle Tony!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That poo poo was so stupid, particularly when it resulted in the second one being a mediocre space opera in Thor's clothing.

A space opera Thor is more Kirby though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tony Stark would definitely sleep with Marisa Tomei.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Peter, that's your AUNT? She's got a tight rear end!!!

Let's be honest, a subplot in one of the Avengers movies about Tony Stark trying to gently caress Aunt May to Peter's chagrin would be pretty great.

The MSJ posted:

A space opera Thor is more Kirby though.

Not really? Like if it were a New Gods movie sure, but his Thor wasn't really like that, at least not at the outset.

Part of my disappointment was that I thought the one thing Thor 1 nailed was transposing Kirby's Asgard to film. Some of my favorite production design in recent memory. Then Thor 2 pissed all that away in favor of looking like budget Star Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Josh Lyman posted:

Tony Stark would definitely sleep with Marisa Tomei.

All honest Americans would. Spiderman needs a two parent household.

• Locked thread