Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

quote:

One person told me that the last act plays out as an emotional horror movie because the film gives both Tony and Steve solid reasoning, and because it truly makes you feel the depths of this schism.

I hope that person is getting paid, because otherwise, yeeeeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Venom is after Spider-man tore off his symbiote.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Spawn and Venom team up film.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Rhyno posted:

And the rest is Spider-man's origin.

Oh god, I forgot he was going to be in it.
I hope we see like, some SHIELD surveillance footage of Uncle Ben biting it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Spider-man suit looks about as good as Green Lantern's did.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

PLEASE tell me it's the same thing as in the comic.

What was it in the comics?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Oh my god.

quote:

At the beginning of the "Civil War" storyline, the New Warriors attempt to apprehend a group of supervillains in Stamford, Connecticut for their television reality show. Nitro, one of the criminals, creates an explosive blast that kills 612 civilians, including 60 children, as well as the New Warriors with the exception of Robbie Baldwin.

After awakening from a coma, Baldwin is arrested by S.H.I.E.L.D. and placed in federal prison. Furthermore, his own mother disowns him.

Overcome by guilt and driven insane by his treatment, Baldwin orders a new suit of armor that features 612 internal spikes (the number of Nitro's victims from Stamford) to trigger his powers. Baldwin then rechristens himself "Penance" and is assigned to the Thunderbolts.

Is the Thunderbolts one of Image Comic teams from the 90s?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
He looks like this:

Shiny and flat, full of helium.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jenny Angel posted:

There's an entire stable of Cracked.com writers chomping at the bit to tell you that Bane sounds ridiculous and DKR is full of goofy setups at literally every possible opportunity, seemingly without ever having ever considered that Bane and his motion picture pals might be in on the joke

Hell earlier this week in this thread or the BvS one someone was going on about how Nolan made a huge mistake letting Bale use a silly Bat-voice.
It's bizarre.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The MSJ posted:

The first clip from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2. I think they really nailed the personalities of the characters here, as well as the ridiculous toys the franchise often gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3iXS581ddU

They had the characters down pat in the first film, it's just a shame about the rest.
Really letting them shine here though. :allears;

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Am I insane or the truck's horn sounds similar to the 80's cartoon song?

It's "Turtles in a half shell", yeah.

computer parts posted:

I'm really glad they didn't show the nunchucks in the original trailer.

Odd, I could've sworn they were.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snowman_McK posted:

This happens once.

The claim that he never has a "Hero" moment is far more outrageous.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

McCloud posted:

And that was the first, and only time,Superman killed anyone.

You mean, other than all those suckers he punched into the next county in the Golden Age, also Brianiac, Darkseid, Doomsday, and so on, and so on.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

I've probably seen Alien over a hundred times at this point.

And yet I'd imagine anything you'd have to say about it would look like Baron Bifford's essay.

Rhyno posted:

I once watched Robocop every day for 47 days straight.

Should've been Ronin. :v:

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of Superman not being nice, this happened on Supergirl.

:allears:
And while I don't think she did this episode, Lexi Alexander has been directing Supergirl.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

TetsuoTW posted:

Did I miss her or was Jubilee not in that trailer at all?

poo poo, if they've given her the Rogue treatment, I'm gonna be pissed.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

Killing Zod is a good scene, but I wish there was another scene that really tested the "kill/don't kill" argument earlier. Just to give it more of a pay off at the end.

You mean, aside from all the scenes of him holding back so he doesn't murder assholes and bullies with a single punch?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's just highlighting how silly Batman's stance is. It's perfectly fine to paralyze a guy from the waist down or put him in traction for a year, but hey, at least he isn't dead!

That was one of my favorite parts of Dark Knight, where the mob dude is like "Falling from this height wouldn't kill me." "I'M COUNTING ON IT" and pushes him off and it brutally shatters his legs, like, holy poo poo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

broken clock opsec posted:

Is that Lego Batman the Movie or Lego Movie Batman the Movie?

Either way, it's unmitigated trash.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

TetsuoTW posted:

RIP your ability to feel things

Sorry you've replaced feelings with crass consumerism.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Codependent Poster posted:

I like people saying this. So care to tell me which parts were his and which weren't?

He left before shooting even start right? So yeah, I imagine you can't really tell, it's not like Trank's Fantastic Four, where it's really easy to tell which scenes were reshoots because the studio didn't like what he made.
For what it's worth, Trank's FF is 2/3rds of a great sci-fi film, the ending is just garbage because feels like it came off the cutting room floor of the earlier FF films.

8one6 posted:

I did the "All the movies!!!" marathon for AoU.
Never again.

So did the goon that originated the "Night unbearable tension"
Though the never quoted, but more damning part of the post was "I can't wait for the next movies!"

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The thing is Wright has a very distinct visual storytelling that wouldn't come through in just his writing, or at least not the same.

broken clock opsec posted:

Some of those bits were also IIRC already done as test sequences before he left the project.

Yeah, the running up the barrel of a gun was in that teaser/proof of concept thing shown when the movie was first announced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-pFrplmexo

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snowman_McK posted:

It tackles the heaviest theme and so has the hardest job balancing humour and pathos. It's bloody brilliant.

Yeah, definitely. It's my favourite film of his as well.

Rhyno posted:

My only real problem is it doesn't really stick the ending the way the other two do.

I dunno, I feel it does far more than Shaun's ending. I need to rewatch Hot Fuzz, it's been awhile.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The MSJ posted:

New Empire limited edition X-Men cover.

Luc Besson introducing his Valerian and Laureline

Aw man, how many times is Cerebro gonna get trashed?
Also Prometheus sequel lookin' good.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I too hate when pulp comics from the 70s steal from videogames, the one true art form.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So Superman ignored Batman for all this time? The Joker? I believe Alfred mentions offhand that him and Bruce have been fighting crime for 20 years

Clark Kent tries to tackle the issue in the paper, but gets shut down. "No one wants to see Clark Kent take on the goddamn Batman" Superman ignores it until Bats goes totally loving bonkers blowing up and shooting the harbor with no regard.

Terrible Horse posted:

He's only been Superman for 2 years. He was bumming around Alaska or whatever.

We don't know the timeline but it seems like Joker and Batman's heyday (and Robin's death) might have been taking place when Clark was 15 or so.

Yeah, also this, it seems implied that Batman was retired until Superman v Zod.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Bizarre you that you think killing while cracking wise is somehow lighthearted.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Murder is bad.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Making murder fun is the definition of dark humour, just because you chuckle doesn't make it light hearted. Also Arnie is the villain in Predator.

Not to say that, Iron Man is dark comedy, it's just a power fantasy that has super loving bleak implications that movie doesn't touch, I find that far more disturbing than it taking everything out of Superman to kill Zod.

Like that scene where he wastes ten guys with precision and leaves the last guy to get torn apart of innocent people. No amount of smug can't make that fun.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Daveski posted:

Just got back from BvS, thought it was quite good. Definitely not perfect, but I liked it much more than I was expecting to (for the record, I'm lukewarm towards Man of Steel). I suspect SMG is right in thinking that the extended cut will end up being an improvement.

Question - during Batman's dream sequence, who is the dude that shows up to yell warnings at him? I got the impression he was a time-traveller (or at least it was a message from the future) who arrived too early, but I had a hard time making out what he was saying. Is it someone that comic book fans would recognize?

We see him later in the film It's the Flash, notice the lightning around him poking his head out of time/using his power to dropkick the guy holding up the corner store. He says some ambiguous things, about Batman being right about "him" and Lois being a key, but the finishes up with "Am I too early?" So yeah, time traveling Flash.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

bring back old gbs posted:

In MOS Zod pops out of his prison and instead of moving on and living his life, since his planet and laws are dead, he continues to follow and enforce those laws. Like travels to another planet and enforces kryptonian law because it was his only purpose of existing. That guy would not pull the sneaky poo poo Lex pulled to get the ship to obey him. The ship would has told Zod it was against the law and Zod would have accepted it in an instant zero questions asked.

If only they would have explained this to us better!

Jor-El: We've had a child, Zod. A boy child. Krypton's first natural birth in centuries, and he will be free, free to forge his own destiny.
General Zod: Heresy! Destroy it!

General Zod: Your father equipped himself with great honor Kal.
Superman: You killed my father?
General Zod: I did. And not a day goes by that it does not haunt me. But if I had to do it again I would. I have a duty to my people, and I will not allow anyone to prevent me from carrying it out!

General Zod: Look at this. We could have built a new Krypton in this squalor, but you chose the humans over us. I exist only to protect Krypton. That is the sole purpose for which I was born. And every action I take, no matter how violent or how cruel, is for the greater good of my people. And now... I have no people. My soul, that is what you have taken from me!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My least favorite part of BvS is that they take a completely true and insightful perspective on the world and use it to help characterize Lex Luthor as an evil madman. The problem of evil has no solution apart from giving up one of the aspects of God, and power is never innocent. This would all be well and good if they continued MoS's portrayal of Superman as someone who's essentially human despite his alien heritage, to let the film essentially say "you're right; I'm not God, but I try to be good" and have Lex be wrong because he misunderstood Superman -- but it doesn't follow through on that, despite hinting at it early on. Instead Snyder doubles down on the Christ imagery and teases him literally rising from the dead at the end. "God is good, and he's a farm boy from Kansas."

I'm also not a fan of the implication that both Lex's madness and his ideology sprang from his childhood abuse.

I disagree with your reading of Man of Steel, it's explicitly about how he is a god among men. The shot of him standing over the dog as a kid, the importance of his father giving his life for the dog, and so on.

bring back old gbs posted:

I read a few posts here saying he is crazy because he gets infected/affected by Darkseid but I don't know where they're pulling that from.

The end of the film he's taunting Batman about how the bell has been rung, and it's bringing attention. The camera even goes to Luthor's father's room and shows the upside down painting of the demon descending from above. Darkseid.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

I don't like feeling bad. Especially after a superhero movie, which I'm seeing so I don't feel bad.

There is no happy without feeling sad. But any depression on something you agree is optimistic is on you.

HorseRenoir posted:

I thought the African woman was testifying about the negative side effects that came after the militia was taken out, not the battle itself. This would fit in with Pa Kent's anecdote about the horses.

That's exactly what it was.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Phylodox posted:

I mean...if absolutely nothing else, Thor 2 has Idris Elba murdering a spaceship singlehanded, and that's not nothing.

He does it with no hands in Prometheus. :smuggo:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Cap is downright amazed by Bucky's sweet knife tricks.

And yeah, definition isn't going make that a good shot.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Mierenneuker posted:

Also we'll never get a better album. It had a collaboration between Slayer and Atari Teenage Riot for crying out loud.

You're not wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuzQLpJWt4A
:rock:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh drat, was looking forward to Batman scaring heroes into joining him.

I mean, we might still get that in Justice League.
At least there's always this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s4knWZ6yVs

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvS351QKFV4

KHAAAAN!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Well the first rule is I'm not allowed to talk about it...

Jenny Angel posted:

My dad's seen Notting Hill at least 20 times, probably many many more. One time he had it on and I asked him what the name of Hugh Grant's character was. He shrugged and said, "Who gives a drat?"

He's right. Dad views on films, are the best views.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The robot fight was garbage.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Steve2911 posted:

"Magical guy from another world/time ends up in modern day USA and is confused by things" is pretty much the worst trope.

Nah, people that use "trope" are the worst. Thor on Earth was fun and good.
Asgard and blowing up Gort were garbage.

Cage posted:

Look at this doofus that doesn't like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

This dude gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

greatn posted:

The shield stuff is the worst part of Thor, and that takes place on earth. Him being a general idiot on earth is fine though.

Hawkeye grabbing his bow instead of a gun in a "badass moment" is forever the funniest thing.

• Locked thread