Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Rurea posted:

Same thing but with bow and arrows

A bow flew through his window while he was trying to figure out how to fight crime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

The Dark Knight rules and is what people want form DC. It is fun and funny and also dark and serious.

The part with the woman tied up made me depressed.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Why was the Joker so bad? I thought this was a fun movie. :(

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Dark Knight is actually a way funnier movie than most people give it credit for. I laugh very hard, every time at Bruce Wayne cancelling an entire week of shows of the Russian Ballet and taking them all on a yacht, because it's the most Bruce Wayne thing imaginable, and he's not even doing it for the obvious benefit (spending a bunch of time on a boat with a bunch of russian ballerinas). I think Maggie Gyllenhaal's reaction is the cherry on top of that whole bit.

Oh I was just giving Celtic poo poo for moping about BvS.
I think they're both fun movies.

And yeah, Bruce being acting like a spoiled child never gets old in the Nolan films.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The whole opening sequence of The Dark Knight is one of the best, like up there with Drive.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
My favourite part of Rises is that Aidan Gillen became a meme.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
It kinda bums me out thinking of all the TMNT toys I had as a kid and either trashed or lost over the years.
I still have Napoleon Bonafrog (weird name since he looks like a horny toad) and Tattoo (sumo wrestler with stick on tattoos!)
I also have a breakdancing Raph, but sadly lost the manhole cover he spins on.

Skwirl posted:

That hat pissed me off so much, because he looked loving awesome with it in the drawing on the box.

Hah, I like that he has angel like wings to fly.

The weirdest TMNT toys I had made you pull strips of plastic through their shells and you'd get a garbled "Cowabunga!" or something.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Yeah I had the Michelangelo that could turn back into a normal turtle.
Also had a Donatello that when you squeezed his legs together samurai armor would burst out of his shell.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBM854BTGL0

Star Wars is alright. It's the nerds that are awful.

Vintersorg posted:

Kill all nerds.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh no, loving.

The better reading of that sentence is Batman watched them loving.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Scyantific posted:

Apparently the first Doctor Strange trailer (not a teaser, a full trailer) is going live tomorrow, starting on Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Already leaked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmI3vAIhbE

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Chivalry ain't dead. He sets the pretty lady down on the table as if they're about to have tipsy second date sex, it's bad enough they're all dressed like it's a Step Up movie set in American Outfitters.

Haha, goddamn.

Rousey's whole gimmick is that she's a redneck. She should not be fighting anyone in club attire unless she's also not wearing shoes.

I would be down for this.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Alright, I was being somewhat flip but I am seriously distracted. Why is everyone in that scene dressed that way?

The whole fight started because they got Bucky's latte wrong.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Renoistic posted:

Topical crosspost from the GiTS thread.

I blame the Wachowskis for this poo poo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Well if the white nerds and done with jokes about how racism doesn't exist, I thought this was pretty good:

https://twitter.com/jontsuei/status/720803388355530753

Jon Tsuei posted:

I've been seeing a lot of defenses for the ScarJo casting that seem to lack a nuanced understanding of a Ghost In The Shell as a story.
The manga came out in 1989, the first film 1995. An era when Japan was considered the world leader in technology.
Everything hot in that era came out of Japan. Cars, video games, walkmans, all of that. Japan was setting a standard.
This is a country that went from poised to conquer to the Pacific to forcibly disarmed. They poured their resources into their economy.
And as a country that was unable to defend themselves, but was a world leader in tech, it created a relationship to tech that is unique.
Ghost In The Shell plays off all of these themes. It is inherently a Japanese story, not a universal one.
This casting is not only the erasure of Asian faces but a removal of the story from its core themes.
You can "Westernize" the story if you want, but at that point it is no longer Ghost In The Shell because the story is simply not Western.
Understand that media from Asia holds a dear place in the hearts of many Asians in the west, simply because western media doesn't show us.
Ghost In The Shell, while just one film, is a pillar in Asian media. It's not simply a scifi thriller. Not to me, not to many others.

https://twitter.com/jontsuei/status/720807324659482624

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Batham posted:

Sorry, but I disagree. Akira is far more distinctly Asian than Ghost in the Shell ever was. In the modern technological world, what makes Ghost in the Shell what it is, is universal.

Are we judging stories on how Asian they are now? Western Akira and Ghost in the Shell both sound like clusterfucks to me. I don't know if technology suddenly makes the themes universal, it's a very 90s anime story.

If they wanted a Western version they could've pulled Neuromancer out of development hell.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah. The most recent Fantastic 4 managed to have a mid-movie reboot to a totally different film, admittedly with the same cast.

Same cast, in terrible wigs. :pseudo:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Really? That's the first good thing I've heard about that movie.

I really enjoyed 30 Days of Night when it was in theaters, I think it might have just been that seeing horror films with other people thing, a lot of the people I went with were really grossed out by the gore and such.
Watching it years later on DVD though, I was really disappointed with it, it's just kinda ugly and forgettable.

Still dig the spooky foreigner vampires at least.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Oh my god. :allears:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Seems now the Rangers are the Putties....

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

PopZeus posted:

"Because Michelle works at a factory for minimum wage, she takes out bank loans to feed her Ninja Turtle obsession!"

She's a true American hero. :911:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Bunch of new Suicide Squad posters

Love we're finally getting goofy rear end poo poo comic book movies.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I enjoy the old cartoons as much as the next guy, but I think they tried too hard into emulate that tone to make this movie memorable.

Well the problem with emulating the 1987 cartoon is the that it was unmitigated garbage.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

If anything MGS2 is better now than it was then. Way ahead of its time.

I keep really wanting to revisit it, but gently caress the bomb disposal section.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

K. Waste posted:

She's so loving pretty drools -

Okay, but, seriously, I hope she gets a more substantial role than the one she got in Dope.

I've heard mixed reactions on Dope, is it worth checking out?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Grendels Dad posted:

I want y'all to work Spider-Man's shoes into this discussion.

Red Chuck Taylor's with white laces, only instead of the star logo, Spidey's head.
The soles have his chest spider logo.

Ah now the men have breast plates as well, finally some equality.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Neo Rasa posted:

This can't be because the Dark Knight begins in July 2007 and ends in February 2008 (the dates are in the movie) plus one year of time passes between Begins and Dark Knight (said outright in Dark Knight) during which we can assume Batman's been Batmanning.

Yeah, also there's an unsaid amount of time passing from Batman saving the city from the Scarecrow gas to the meeting with Gordon on the rooftop. He didn't install that Bat signal and get promoted overnight.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Toady posted:

Fans call Batman a hero because he stops short of killing his victims. Even worse, fans justify Batman's existence by citing the Gotham police force as corrupt, but Batman is part of that system, turning in criminals with cuts and bruises knowing that the police will look the other way. Good Batman stories acknowledge that his existence is wrong and his thinking is flawed.

Batman is blinded by his obsession in the movies, nerds just see it as a flaw with the film as he never monologues about it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMiwKhm3uI

Did, did Archie and Jughead loving murdered a dude?

I keep seeing people freakin' out about this, but, isn't this where the comics have been for quite awhile?
At the very least it's always been a goofy rear end soap opera.

That Josie and the Pussycats though. :swoon:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Reasons BvS is bad:
1. There is no wind in Bruce's batcave dream...

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Still angry that Luke wasn't rockin' a manbun at the end of Force Awakens.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Throwdown posted:

Man, The Flash looks bad, everything looks misshapen and the wrong size, his torso, his legs, his neck, his shoulders...

He's just skinny.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Clearly Flash should be wearing a track suit, and then die, because the only reason he was put in to stick it to X-men. It won't be laughingly bad or anything!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I think there's a difference between JL being hopeful and optimistic after a dark second act film and JL being a quippy insincere jokeathon that never takes itself seriously in attempt to ape the competition.

I'm pretty scared of it becoming the latter as well.

I doubt Snyder will disappoint, it's not like studio's are going to give a poo poo about Rotten Tomatoes as long as they're still seeing green. Both BvS and Suicide Squad were successes despite nerd outrage.
All of this "DC is scrambling, totally afraid, trying to be Marvel" poo poo is just from Marvel fanboys/Not my Batmans.

Patrick Spens posted:

Hey, The Spirit was great.

Yeah, by far one of the most honest comic book movies.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
No, the dream happens while he's decrypting Lex's data to find out who the White Portuguese is, because he knows they're bringing kryptonite into town.
Bruce does "wake up" after the Flash leaves, but papers are blowing around.
The whole movie is a melding of reality and Batman's dreams really, the decryption dream does have all sorts of hints at Darkseid, but it's possible the Flash drug that back through time with him.
It's also just the world as hell as Batman is powerless to stop it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

McCloud posted:

Mind, he didn't fly over, he took the ferry, like a normal joe

Yeah, it was Clark Kent that didn't like Batman, Supes didn't step in until all the harbor destruction.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Haha yes, a lack of immorality makes me stronger, because....

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The MSJ posted:

Watch a little girl flip out and bloodily kill people in the new Logan trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DekuSxJgpbY

Had no idea this was already coming out, looks dang good.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Rough Lobster posted:

This looks just as bad as I'd expected from the first trailer. The jokes are flat and cringe worthy. Rita still looks awful. Yelling IT'S MORPHIN TIME will only strike a five year old as cool and I'm guessing they won't get many of them in the theater.

Also, Goldar? Wasn't Goldar like a totally minor lackey? Either way featureless gold blob isn't fun either.

Is this movie trying to wrangle in kids or teens? Everything about the designs and stuff says "10 year olds" while the angsty dialogue says "stop by when you get out of Hot Topic, 16 year olds".

Freakazoid_ posted:

I cry every time fox does an x-menPower Ranger film that isn't a carbon copy of the 90's x-men cartoon show and games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The dude in this thread (or maybe it was the BvS thread) that was making up Objectivist themes in Snyder's films because of Synder wanting to adapt Atlas Shrugged was pretty funny.

• Locked thread