Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red posted:

Was The Rock rumored for a Shazam movie and a Black Adam spinoff?

He's confirmed as Black Adam in Shazam, I don't know about spinoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

Is Captain Marvel REALLY not coming out until 2019?

I swear if they fast track it after Wonder Woman brings in a billion dollars...

I mean, 3 years isn't that bad of a timeframe. 2019 is going to be utterly ridiculous though if all of those stay in:

Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019
Shazam - April 5, 2019
Avengers: Infinity War - Part 2 - May 3, 2019
Justice League Part Two - June 14, 2019
Inhumans - July 12, 2019

e: I bet if Suicide Squad goes well you'll see a sequel in August of this year too.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 1, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The film is laced with dream sequences for both Batman and Superman that hint at dangers to come – including the possible appearance of DC’s galactic ultra-villain Darkseid. The Flash (played by Miller) appears in one such nightmare of Bruce Wayne’s, delivering a cryptic message to the Dark Knight.

Huh, I guess that's one way to do the cameos.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skwirl posted:

Obviously making Lucifer a police procedural was a misstep, but I'm also puzzled at making him super British, and I don't mean the actor portraying him having a British accent, he clarifies with someone who said "pants" that he meant trousers. He's supposed to have been in LA for 5 years when the show starts, I know several UK expats and they are never confused when I say "pants."

Maybe God is just British.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Kodiak posted:

Consequences are fine, plenty of people die in The Avengers.

What was the line in Daredevil? "Hundreds"?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Kodiak posted:

That seems like a lot of people to me.

Relative to Manhattan, it's pretty small (and would be a small area). Though I guess that's just commending the Avengers on containing the damage.

And really, in fairness Ultron was much more on the nose about the "no civilians were harmed during the making of this awesome fight" stuff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

amusinginquiry posted:

Should have just given Mark Pellegrino his own show.

They did, it didn't turn out too well.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a scene in a bank or something where some Chitauri were threatening a bunch of people and Cap leaps in and takes a shot to the gut to protect them, or something like that.
Also there were scenes where the Avengers were directing the cops to evacuate everyone from the immediate area which is why the streets were empty later in the scene.

They also did some justification like "keep the bad guys within this radius" even though that was functionally impossible with only two flying dudes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

soapgish posted:

That would just make everyone look stupid as the audience is going to take Batman's word?

They could do the Batman Beyond twist.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That's a strange reading because everyone else is specifically focused around seeing disasters and preventing people from dying. Everything from the Hulkbuster fight to the evacuation of the Russian town, even the random bots at the beginning.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Timby posted:

Civil War has been clocked in at 146 minutes, making it the longest MCU film to date. :stare:

90 minutes of it is the elaborate backstory for the government stooge that hands Cap the registration law.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think in an era where super powers really are murdering people without any second thoughts (spoiler: this is every era ever) it is pretty important to see why a guy would specifically avoid trying to kill anyone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Watchmen film ending completely ignores the point that Ozymandias' whole deal is following in Alexander the Great's footsteps. The squid is the sword that strikes through the Gordian Knot that is Earth's politics. The solution has to be outrageous, unorthodox and to a degree unbelievable - if you're reading Watchmen for the first time, it comes completely out of nowhere, but that's the way it has to be to work. Using Doc Manhattan, who is wholly engrained in Earth's politics and even the reason they're in the state they're in, as a solution is like trying to solve the Gordian Knot by tugging juuust the right thread, and it's the one that's looped through all the other ones and itself the most. It's a flagrant misunderstanding of one of the book's central themes, one of its major characters, and the point of the historical legend.

That kind of only works once though, and Ghostbusters already did it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That New York scene is new, right? I don't remember that many people at one time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BreakAtmo posted:

'Ignoring'? Pretty sure that fuckup is precisely why he's now holding the pro-oversight position. Learning from your mistakes and all.

Which would be a fair point if Vision didn't exist.

If anything the roles should be reversed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Weren't they specifically saving all civilians and only blowing up conveniently previously evacuated buildings in the other movies anyway? Was their level of material devastation to skyscrapers and fine cars available at your nearest dealership unacceptable?
Or will they be like, "Nah, it turns out a lot of people totally died. Isn't that GRIMDARK :unsmigghh: "

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also it looks like Ultron is the final prevailing event that gets the Act rolling rather than some idiots on a reality show loving things up royally.

Supposedly the guy from Winter Soldier is in here and loving stuff up at the beginning. Crossbones I think?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Codependent Poster posted:

There's a pretty good chance Civil War ends with Cap dying, and Bucky or Falcon taking up the mantle.

Cap can return for Infinity War easily enough with the infinity stones.

Maybe Bucky, but I kinda doubt it now. That was probably the plan until Evans decided to stay on.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

For some strange reason they aren't using the Rottentomatoes average score.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boob Marley posted:

Only freshness matters?

No? Or else the IMDB column wouldn't be there.

Thor 2 has the exact same average rating as Man of Steel. In conjunction with freshness, this would seem to indicate that more people liked it, but they didn't like it as much.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 10, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boob Marley posted:

By the same token, I don't have all the Marvel flicks made by Sony and Fox. Does this make sense to you?

Not really, you should include those too.

Fox's movies are a cinematic universe unto themselves though, at least as of Days of Future Past.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slugworth posted:

Why show anything? They should market it as a romcom featuring Katherine Heigl. Imagine how much people would lose their poo poo when the movie their girlfriend dragged them to turned out to be Civil War.

Worked for Deadpool!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Man of Steel was very polarizing but it's interesting to see if people will actually come back to see BvS since the latter is directly addressing some complaints of MoS.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm still not exactly sure what your issues with the movie are, from a quality standpoint. Is it just that the Tomatometer is too low?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Corek posted:

I was once told it's because the Marvel movies are feminine and the DC movies are aggressively masculine. Don't agree.

I mean, I could maybe see that argument in 2013 when the only DC movies were :nolan: and Man of Steel but these days we have a Wonder Woman movie being shot while Black Widow is always the Bridesmaid and the other woman centered Marvel film is still TBA.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Does "Brooding" even mean anything anymore?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

justdan posted:

Yeah, I hate when Superheroes in Superhero Movies actually, you know, save people!

I want some *realism* and real "unsanitized" violence in my film about an alien demigod in blue spandex and red cape fighting other aliens!

It's actually refreshing compared to "quipping in the face of danger", especially when they try to act all dramatic and serious not long after.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boob Marley posted:

Yes, that would just be so bold. Having a black and/or female lead is ipso facto artistic and creative.

Compared to the MCU, this is actually true.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boob Marley posted:

Where the hell is my Wonder Woman Movie?

It's shooting right now and it's coming out next year.

Where's my Black Widow movie?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

... that said, is there some reason people keep going "MoS was the first and only DCU film" and ignore Green Lantern. Does the fact it failed suddenly mean it doesn't count as an attempt?

The fact that it's not part of the DCU. They're doing another Green Lantern film in like 2020 but Ryan Reynolds will not be part of it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but like... they intended it to be, it just failed and so they're pretending it didn't happen. When people are bringing up the Nolan trilogy it feels weird for everyone to forget that DC had another film it was just something everyone is pretending didn't happen.

It's also because no one saw it, and there's very little indication that any subsequent films are going to be anything like it. (Zach Snyder is basically determining the whole tone of this universe)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phylodox posted:

Marvel does have Jessica Jones and Agent Carter, though. Also Agents of SHIELD, which has a lot of strong female characters. Yeah, they're not blockbuster movies, but they're out there.

And DC has Super Girl.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I'm six years late on this but I finally watched Watchmen and I loved it. Probably my favorite comic book movie. Thematically dense, interesting characters, great setting and tone. Extremely my poo poo. What's the general consensus on it?

People really wanted to see the giant squid on screen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electromax posted:

I pre-nominate Gal Godot for Glamour's Woman of the Year 2017.

I never saw Watchmen but when my friend wanted to watch it at his house it was like 4 hours long and it had a lengthy cartoon part in the middle. We vetoed it - that has to be an extended cut I assume? I thought it was just a normal-length movie before that and I didn't know it switched styles like that.

Yeah in the comic there's this story in the middle about this pirate ship comic. They animated it as like a bonus feature and the "ultimate edition" includes it in the film itself. The original cut itself is still 162 minutes though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Buzzfeed articles are becoming self aware.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mr. stefan posted:

Buddy Crossovers are a sorely underrepresented cornerstone of the superhero genre outside of comics

We'll see how Thor 3 does it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boob Marley posted:

I'm back. Did the collective DC Cinematic Universe become better than Iron Man 2 since I was gone?

Yeah, ever since 2013.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I sure trust resources like blastr.com and comicbookresources.com

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

Bane does sound goofy and that's why he's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mON8atk0_t4

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The MSJ posted:

The first clip from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2. I think they really nailed the personalities of the characters here, as well as the ridiculous toys the franchise often gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3iXS581ddU

I'm really glad they didn't show the nunchucks in the original trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jenny Angel posted:

One of these movies is explicitly positioning this war as a misguided conflict ginned up by a new-school corporate executive, though

And in the end they and a feminist international icon team up against the corporate executive and his Frankenstein monster.

• Locked thread