Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh my god he's riding the giant wheel thing and now it's on fire.

Edit: And now we get Christoph Lambert as a crazy priest!

Ghostrider 2 is pretty great. I just love the guy trying his decaying powers on a Twinkie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If they have a scene in Civil War where they cut away to the side with Cage and Wesley Snipes in a cafe going "gently caress that noise" I'll buy 10 tickets

None of the people getting hurt are innocent, Cage shouldn't give a drat.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Sylvester Stalone has allegedly been cast in GotG2 which pretty much confirms that it's a stealth Tango & Cash sequel.

I hope Thanos evolves through some cosmical bullshit or whatever and henceforth he is Sylvester Stalone in some purple and golden spandex.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Is the white spider no longer a part of Venom's look? I know he has been a hulking mass of black semi-liquid poo poo for a long time, but he still basically looked like a dude in a dark costume with a big white spider on his chest. And there aren't many spider-related superheroes out there.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

They'll just pull what they did with the last Hulk movie ie take the sequel spec script they have lying around and make it part of a "different universe." So, you'll still end up with artifacts like Hulk starts in South America like at the end of the previous Hulk. And if they want to tie it back into the "larger universe," they can have Robert Downey Jr. show up at the end or after the credits.

Is this still about Venom? How is that supposed to work? Would they hire a dude who just kind of looked like Topher Grace?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Burkion posted:

So are they just not allowed to talk about Civil War in actual movie terms?

Like, do they have to only compare it to other things?

I just hope they go all in with those comparisons. Like, just straight-up claim that the next Avengers movie is Fargo. This thread is gonna burn.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

Just like all those parked cars in the next movie. :ohdear:

Swerve, only bicycles will be burned in the next movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

:allears:

I'm sad we didn't get stories from the set about how Slipknot's actor really got into the role. Like, he tied a bunch of knots.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I am really interested in seeing Slipknot on screen. The trailer has given us nothing other then he punches out some lady with zero context shown.

I'm sure he's going to be fun for the five minutes he will be able to hang in there.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Boob Marley posted:

I do not disagree with anything you have said here.

Smart from a financial stand-point, yes.
But awful from a creative, artistic stand-point. And therein lies spectacle of ruination that I'm fapping to right now.

You're just trying to goad somebody into saying that MoS is good because it is financially successful, aren't you?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Boob Marley posted:

Don't think I need to do any goading on that one...

That's not quite what people are saying, but nice try. They are saying that it's kind of dumb to pretend DC is making a big mistake by making MoS the starting point of their cinematic universe. They (and I) also say that MoS is pretty great, but that has nothing to do with how it did at the box office or how it relates to upcomming DC movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

Does "Brooding" even mean anything anymore?

I think it's a sex thing now, not sure though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Its a bold faced condemnation of the sanitized violence of modern blockbusters and has quite successfully made everyone super conscious of it, considering the latest avengers film. Granted Whedon felt that repeating EVERYONES OKAY DONT WORRY was the best course of action for this, but that can hardly be blamed on MoS.

thats one

Also, it was very violent and I liked that. I don't give a poo poo if that's Superman-y, it was interesting and entertaining.

Nedit: Also, dick ships.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

justdan posted:

Yeah, I hate when Superheroes in Superhero Movies actually, you know, save people!

I want some *realism* and real "unsanitized" violence in my film about an alien demigod in blue spandex and red cape fighting other aliens!

Every once in a while that's pretty cool, yeah. It's not like they are going to stop making Marvel movies just because Man of Steel did that thing, so where is the problem?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Boob Marley posted:

Again, you're drat right it is. And it's a successful franchise because it delivers on a slew of little things that people love and enjoy. It's not a successful franchise because it runs roughshod over what people know and love about the characters, it's successful because it gives fans of the source material a pay off without excluding general audiences. MoS did neither. You can call Marvel Studios a big evil money machine all day long, but the means of their success, the way in which they accumulate such wealth and success, has had everything to do with the quality of their content. Starbucks is everyone's favorite big-bag company to hate on because they've permeated the earth with their stores. Well, they got that way for a reason - their coffee is good.

Wait, so it's you who claims that movies that make a lot of money are automatically good!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

how about just not thinking about shipping, though? Like, at all.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Too late, lover.

You and me, OTP.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

That sky looks like it came straight from the Flash Gordon movie

It's way too colorful, but I was still thinking of the scene from Hellraiser 2 when they open the Lament Configuration. I'd watch Avengers vs. Cenobites, that'd be fun!

Boob Marley posted:

Money earned is not a good measure of quality, therefore box office numbers are not on the chart.
Funny though, money is a good measure of popularity, the very aspect upon which I have been accused of judging movies. Can't have it both ways.

Yeah, real good critical buzz...

Rumor of the Day: Why Dawn of Justice is making Warner Bros. 'nervous'
Well, apparently, test screenings for the flick aren't going quite as well as the studio hoped, and some insiders are convinced that's going to breed changes in the Warner Bros. superhero slate. Here's Drew McWeeny from HitFix talking about the issue:

"Warner is a little bit worried. This movie is starting to scare them. It's scaring them because they're showing it to people now, people are actually laying eyes on the film now, and the response has not been what I think they wanted. If I were going to lay a bet on how it may happen, Suicide Squad, they1'll go all-in on. They'll push all their chips in on that and I think Suicide Squad's going to be a hit for them. I think Wonder Woman will be finished the way they're working on it right now and they'll release it. I would be surprised if Justice League starts shooting when they say it's going to, and I would be equally surprised if Zack Snyder directed it."

http://www.blastr.com/2016-2-16/rumor-day-why-dawn-justice-making-warner-bros-nervous

REPORT: "BATMAN V SUPERMAN" RESPONSE COULD LEAD TO MAJOR SHIFTS IN DC FILMS PLANS
The internal response to high-profile DC Comics-based feature "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" isn't what Warner Bros. had been hoping for thus far.

According to a video report published Thursday from HitFix film reporter Drew McWeeny. This reaction has led McWeeny to the conclusion that if "Batman v Superman" isn't a major hit, it'll mean dramatic shifts in the DC Films master plan.

"This movie is starting to scare [Warner Bros.]," McWeeny said, citing unnamed sources. "Response has not been exactly what I think they wanted."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-batman-v-superman-response-could-lead-to-major-shifts-in-dc-films-plans

Anyways, I had a lot to think about during my 6 hour vacation and I reading back through all the posts I think I've finally gotten the gist of it with these two revelations:

1.) The MCU sucks and is bullshit because its fun and any idiot can enjoy it.
2.) Man of Steel is top level cinema because it just looks so cinematic, you know, like a movie, and it stimulates your intellect by forcing you to think of increasingly convoluted reasons for why you like because Dark Knight is the poo poo, gently caress you Marvel, you don't know about blowing up cities like we do, DC gets it!

Go away.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Boob Marley posted:

All this talk about McWeeny's stuff being debunked as fake and gay rumors and yet not a single source.

I love knowing that while BvS is in theaters so many of you will be white-knuckling it through every line of cliche, contrived dialogue, and every moment of awkwardly forced tension doing mental gymnastics to convince yourself that it is great.

Movies are fake, get over it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

I am 140% in favor of them looking at the first new TMNT movie and saying "but how can we make this dumber and more fun" and cranking the knob all the way to "very dumb"

It's a fine tradition created way back when by Secret of Ooze.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tomahawk posted:

I 100% support this thread becoming the official Guyver discussion thread

I think I still have the ten or so VHS tapes of the Anime series in my cellar. All I can think of though is what a gigantic rip-off that was, the episodes were like 30 minutes long and cost as much as a regular movie. I could have owned ten+ copies of Fist of the North Star!

The episode where the five super-monsters fight Guyver and then Dark Guyver shows up owns, though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Martman posted:

Can someone make a chart of frequent CineD posters ranking them by their ratio of probations/bans to posts? Then we can finally find out who is right about movies.

I can't even see what my one probation was about, but since I was mad about something I'm going to assume it's from a Star Wars thread.

Man of Steel is one of those movies that get better the more CineD discussion I read about it, both the good interesting kind and the hilariously goony kind. And I liked the movie a lot to begin with, so it's basically my favorite movie now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vicissitude posted:

Well, Stane brought real New York pizza back to LA with him in Iron Man 1 so apparently Tony will eat it, but perhaps it was just the novelty he enjoyed rather than a preference.

That'd be an incredibly Stark thing to do. And he didn't even let Stane have any, the dickhead.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Kurzon posted:

I so want Warner Bros and DC to just drop the drat messiah overtones that has plagued Superman since the Christopher Reeve movie. I prefer the Marvel movies because the characters all feel more real.

I like both the way they are precisely because they are different and wouldn't want them to be similar. Marvel is crunching out fifty movies a year that are similar to each other, let DC have their Jesus-Man movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm still waiting for a buddy's idea to see the light of day, Alien vs. Predator vs. Asterix.

The year is 50 B.C.Gaul is entirely infested with xenomorphs. Well, not entirely... One small village of indomitable Gauls still holds out against the invaders. In fact, their indomitability has attracted the attention of the galaxy's most dangerous hunter. Life certainly is not easy for the Roman legionaries who are caught in this epic struggle between Aliens, Predators, and Asterix.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Re rewatching movies chat, I don't often buy new movies, or go to the theater, or have Netflix, because I'm dirt poor. Thus, I just watch the movies I have. Over and over and over again. Luckily, they are mostly good movies. Like Dredd.

The MSJ posted:

X-Men Apocalypse just dropped a new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBVIHgQbYk

First impression: owns. But if I'm not mistaken, Magneto's and Xavier's exchange from the beginning of the trailer is from the end of the first X-Men movie, how does that work they were old then and are young now!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Kurzon posted:

How can Aquaman breathe underwater when water does not contain enough oxygen to support mammalian physiology?

He sucks so hard that oxygen from the surface comes to him in little bubbles.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Look I'll say this again: Aquaman is going to star Jason Momoa and be directed by James loving Wan. Snyder has a huge nerd boner and called into a local radio show while he was filming BvS to defend Aquaman's honor. Aquaman is going to be loving great.

I know, and I'm hopeful for the movie. And that's precisely why I'm going to take any chance I can get to make jokes on Aquaman's expense, because soon that well will have run dry.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The MSJ posted:

9 Empire covers for the movie.

It looks like they forgot to photoshop in Sophie Turner's jetpack.

edit: Quicksilver noticed, too!

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 18, 2016

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bob Quixote posted:

Well yeah, and in that context it works - context is everything. Same thing with people getting annoyed with the Zod neck snap in Man of Steel: it would be really unnerving and out of place to see Fleischer cartoon Superman or Superman the Animated Series Superman breaking necks, but within the tone established by the film it made perfect sense and flowed with the rest of the action. It's not something done purely for the purpose of being shocking or edgy.

Conversely, seeing some of the Silver Age solutions suggested above by one article or another applied in the context of Man of Steel would be horrifying. Imagine an ant-sized Michael Shannon locked in a jar, screaming and hammering against the glass, forever.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The best superhero movie with telepaths is What Women Want.

Fixed. Though it has just the one telepath.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hey man, Jason Momoa was in that lovely, awful, terrible Conan remake.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

We're not judging the sequels, we're judging Age of Ultron, the movie where, using the exact same process that created Ultron, Tony Stark creates Vision, a character whose sole purpose is to destroy Ultron, which he does.

In the same movie it's also made abundantly clear that the public now hates the Avengers, so much so that they have to take cover at Hawkeye's little house in the prairie. Creating Vision does not undo that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Public approval was a non-factor outside of Stark's celebrity status.

Then why was that bit about public approval in the movie?

Also, how is Stark's celebrity status irrelevant? The man lives and dies by how many friends he has on Facebook.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's one of the things that makes perfect sense - the man out of time struggling to realize what's off about the present day versus a flippant capitalist who treats his so called friends like employees.

I was trying to connect this post to BvS for a moment. The next few months should provide some entertainingly confusing discussions.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Since we're talking about the Avengers, I've been wanting to ask this. As someone who just watches the movies and doesn't read comics, shouldn't Stark and Rogers should be on the opposite sides in Civil War? The libertarian industrialist Tony "You want my property well you can't have it" Stark is all pro government regulation while the ultimate orders following soldier is heavily in favor of unchecked vigilantism? I know they tried to set up some of that in Winter Soldier with SHIELD, but it still really feels off to me.

At least for Cap you can say that he has always been against preemptive strikes, rule through fear and so forth. Whatever legislation starts the Civil War seems to be more of the same stuff Hydra tried to pull off, but this time it's totally not Hydra!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In fact, if you include "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" deaths (which would at least count as negligent homicide or perhaps voluntary manslaughter) then the only Batman film where he doesn't cause any deaths is Batman and Robin. That includes Batman 1966.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVIG7YvdjM

I'm pretty sure Bane bites it in B&R, and possibly some random goons. That might be on Robin though, he's a loose cannon!

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 23, 2016

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Terrible Horse posted:

Cap's first "mission" was disobeying orders and parachuting into enemy territory to rescue his buddies. He's always been a guy who does the right thing first, and a soldier second.

Meanwhile, Tony's had several movies since his "I've privatized world peace" speech, in which he's shown to be terrified of metahumans and the enemies that come with them (Iron Man 3) and realizing that his efforts to protect the world himself go horribly awry (Age of Ultron). I think in Civil War he's humbled and accepts that he and the others need oversight, and he's just going way overboard with it because he's scared. When he's in the suit he's an Avenger, but when he's not hes just another normal human scared shitless of the Hulk.

In Avengers 1 there's a scene where they all squabble due to the scepter. Cap says to Stark "Big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?" Naturally, Stark replies with a quib and Cap's remark isn't dwelled upon in the scene at all, but I would like to think that Cap hit a nerve there. It's too close to what BvS apparently aims at, but I would like a Civil War where part of Stark's motivation is that he is massively insecure about his red sports car armor allowing him to compete with literal gods.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Because the script is a loving mess.

So the consequences for the world nearly ending is that Tony Stark has fewer Facebook friends. I'm so glad there was a two and a half hour, 300 million dollar movie with bucketloads of expensive fight scenes about this.

So you are just handwaving away the reading that would give those parts meaning with arguments that would get you laughed out of other threads?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Speaking of WWI comic book movies, anyone like Luc Besson's Adèle Blanc-Sec movie? I had some troubles with it, because he took a pretty dark comic series (it includes WWI at some point, in all it's butchery), and turned it a funny adventure (sort-of trying for a French Indiana Jones, I guess). And that's a legitimate idea and not necessarily a bad movie, but the disconnect was pretty strong throughout for me.

And now Luc Besson next's project is another adaptation of a comic series I love, Valérian Space-TIme Agent, and I'm both pretty hype (it is closer in style to the Fifthe Element, so it might be great) but a bit worried a the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhmCHnNcWs

Watching Lucy and Malavita has rejuvenated my love for Besson, so thank you for bringing this to my attention. I haven't checked if the Tomb Raider discussion in the Greenlighted thread is still going on, but this would kinda fit :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Cameo posted:

Given that World War I isn't the "fun" war that can really be boiled down to "good guys and bad guys" the way World War II has been glamorized, it wouldn't be out of place for the movie to end on a dour note. Although I believe it's been reported that Wonder Woman will have bookend scenes in the modern day that will put her specifically in place for Justice League. So her movie is "Diana remembering what drove her out of Man's World for a century", with the end likely signalling what made her come back.

It'll be interesting if the vengeful way the war's end played out politically is what makes her go "oh gently caress off" and vanish back to Themyscira for a hundred years.

Thanks for letting WW II happen, Wonder Woman!

• Locked thread