Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a Lego Batman movie coming out next year.

Valiant comics have a 5 picture deal with Sony.

quote:

Bloodshot, targeted for a 2017 release, will be directed by the John Wick team of David Leitch and Chad Stahelski, working from a screenplay by Jeff Wadlow (Kick-rear end 2) and Eric Heisserer (The Thing remake, the upcoming Story of Your Life). Matthew Vaughn and Jason Kothari will act as executive producers.

For Harbinger, Heisserer will provide the script solo, while potential directors are being kept under wraps for now. All five movies will be produced by Valiant's Dinesh Shamdasani, along with Original Film's Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe (The Fast and Furious franchise, 21 Jump Street). Andrea Giannetti will oversee for Sony.
Archer & Armstrong and Shadowman are also in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

berserker posted:

FYI we basically got that in this season of The Flash and it's awesome

Here it is in case anyone missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBV39GrdRdQ

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MonsieurChoc posted:

Cage showing up in Avengers as the Rider is the only random cameo that would get me excited.
If they have a scene in Civil War where they cut away to the side with Cage and Wesley Snipes in a cafe going "gently caress that noise" I'll buy 10 tickets

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Great Burrito posted:

So apparently the Venom spinoff is back on again? Maybe Sony wants some of that sweet Deadpool cash.
http://www.thewrap.com/spider-man-spinoff-venom-gets-new-life-at-sony-with-edge-of-tomorrow-writer/

quote:

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing the movie, which is expected to launch a new franchise that exists separately from and unrelated to the upcoming Spider-Man movies starring Tom Holland. Plot details, however, are being kept under wraps.

What the crunk?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Proposition Joe posted:

I don't see how you can have Venom without Spider-Man, aren't they a bit... symbiotic?

There's precedence, we had a Catwoman movie without Batman and a Steel movie without Superman.

And they worked out perfectly fine! :unsmigghh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maybe every time someone tries to mention Spider-Man at any point in the movie he cuts them off and tells them to never mention that name in his presence. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They could start with the symbiote finding a new host. Eddie Brock 'died' in Spider-Man 3 anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

achillesforever6 posted:

The Sandman works so much better as a TV series than a movie anyway.

I'd hate to see them try and pull off all the necessary effects to adapt the various storylines on a TV budget.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

People are so quick to forget that MoS was not grimdark.

Superman was thematically tied to the Sun in that film and it was filled with light but people just remember the 'muted' tones of the film and assume it was grim and dark.

BvS on the other hand is looking pretty grim: practically every scene they've shown so far is at night and we've got Batman growling "Do you bleed?" and Superman doing the whole "The Bat is dead! Stay down!" rant. Also Batman's nightmare/vision about the apocalyptic future with fascist Superman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darko posted:

I don't think Avengers shows a single person being killed during the entire Chitauri battle. It's not even hinted to - when the aliens are on screen, they're aiming their weapons at cars, and when people are on screen, they're mostly being herded around by cops or rescued by Avengers. When the big city destruction building scenes happen, the streets are suspiciously empty. That makes it easier to focus on the "cool" things happening, as there's no counter-weight against it.

There was a scene in a bank or something where some Chitauri were threatening a bunch of people and Cap leaps in and takes a shot to the gut to protect them, or something like that.
Also there were scenes where the Avengers were directing the cops to evacuate everyone from the immediate area which is why the streets were empty later in the scene.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Moriatti posted:

Whatever the case, I think the "anti-batman" origin is the closest to the true one.

The Joker's parents walked unscathed through an alley and he was subsequently unscared by a bat flying through the window???

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electromax posted:

The JJ outdated newspaper stuff is sort of just a microcosm of the outdatedness of a lot of superhero tenets. Like after the Boston Marathon bombing, there were thousands of photos and videos from the event quickly circulated and shared (with some false positives to boot) but Joker will still be able to set elaborate traps, lace hospitals with bombs, purchase whatever dastardly materials and leak creepy videos to the press without any large-scale organized manhunt materializing, or the use of facial recognition/vocal recognition technology to identify his patterns.

Also in this modern era of paparazzi/celebrity gossip websites/obsessed fans/Anonymous/conspiracy theorists it'd be ever more increasingly difficult for any superhero to guard their secret identity, especially if their alter ego is as well known as Bruce Wayne and they don't wear a mask that completely covers their face.
There'd be websites dedicated to recording all their known appearances in an effort to find patterns in their movements and figure out where their secret base was hidden. Characters like Spider-Man who often start their patrols by leaping out their apartment window in full costume would be exposed in a day or two.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 8, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

There'd be an exhaustive reddit thread dedicated to figuring out who Spider-Man is that ultimately concludes that he's a plainclothes cop who also happened to be at the scene of a crime, while freep is busy arguing that Superman couldn't be Clark Kent because their aryan wonder-boy would never work for the Jew media.

I guess there'd also be a bunch of schizos claiming they were Spider-Man and trying to get on talk shows, it'd all be a constant shitstorm

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Edit: nope, not gonna argue over MoS again, I'm letting it go

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

Maybe. And, note, there's a huge difference between not usually being recognized and never being recognized.

Michael Jackson used to pay Hollywood special effects wizard Michael Westmore to create elaborate disguises for him but then again MJ was pretty damned crazy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

I'm having a really hard time sympathizing with Captain America based off the trailers. Like as near as I can tell his argument amounts to "Well, this could go badly, so better not make any laws ever!" Hopefully the actual film plays it up better.

It looks like the Pro-Registration side's position will be "Sign on with us or get locked up in an underwater superprison" and I can see Cap having issues with that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That's a real good way to lose your fingers, Hank.

Harlock posted:

I thought the crux of the argument was that registration basically means you're a tool of the government/a weapon at their disposal. Cap already did that and hated it. Whether they communicated it well or not is fair game.

And not just a tool of the government, you'd be a tool of the government under the direct control of Thunderbolt Ross.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 10, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeimosRising posted:

Costume nothing, how about the delivery on Spidey's line? I hope that's not really in there, he sounds so bored. Like, he should flop down on the couch and sigh right after or something.

He's a 14 year old boy who just picked a fight with Captain America, he's lucky he managed to get the line out without his voice breaking. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Black Widow and Hawkeye have been best buds since forever. :colbert:

But then again no one really cares if they fight each other so :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MinibarMatchman posted:

70's spiderman costume with moving eyewhites is loving great.

:woop:

Edit: I knew I'd seen a squinty Spiderman before ....

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 10, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really hope, and the trailers are making me feel like they are, that this fixes the major problem in the comic and makes both sides like viable options. Like Tony has a very valid point of "Yeah, so we should probably be regulated by a higher governing body and be held responsible to the major disasters like Ultron" and Steve's point of "Yeah but remember how we were all onboard with SHIELD and they turned out to be evil?".

The comic had a huge issue in making Tony look like Mega-Hitler and Steve look like a plucky underdog.

Yeah they definitely worked on making Tony's stance more sympathetic and less Hitlery-ish

quote:

“Obviously it will be easier for the audience to get behind Cap because it’s his movie, it’s his point of view, and he has the most screen time,” said Joe Russo. “However, Tony has the emotional motivation in the film. The most human motivation. … Hopefully, by the time you walk out of the film, [you’re] having a fight with your buddy or your boyfriend or girlfriend about who was right in the film.”

McFeely echoed those sentiments: “We want [half of the] people walking out of this movie going, ‘Tony’s right.’ And half the other people going, ‘Steve’s right.’ That would be a dream if we got a 49-51 split.”

quote:

The writers admitted Stark is blatantly wrong in the comic books — i.e., that whole interdimensional prison he builds to contain fellow superheroes not aligned with him. “Part of the challenge in not making Tony clearly wrong, as he seems to me in the comic book … is to give him his own personal reason,” Markus said. “So that he’s coming from a place where you understand why he would make this decision.”
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-godfather-of-superhero-movies-on-the-set-170634774.html

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also I doubt the Punisher randomly shows up to kill a couple of villains.

MCU Punisher will be showing up in the new Netflix Daredevil series out real soon so yeah, it's highly unlikely he'll be in Civil War.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There'll no doubt be a new Spider-Man costume design in every new Spider-Man standalone and at least the first Infinity War but also every other MCU film he gets a role bigger than a stinger cameo. Possibly even more than one re--design in some of those.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Soul Glo posted:

Kind of assuming this Spidey's Uncle Ben died in the New York incident from the first Avenger's.

I hope they 100% avoid retelling Spider-Man's origin in Civil War, or at least dwelling on it anywhere in the first act. Ideally there'd be a scene early in the film where someone goes "Now there's guys in costume popping up everywhere, the situation is out of control!" with a bunch of screens showing security footage of Spidey and a few other characters and Stark goes "I'll look into it" and then they just don't mention him at all until Stark's reveal in the airport showdown. Introduce him in the big action scene and he can have a scene with Cap at some later point which fleshes out his character.

Rhyno posted:

Has Holland been confirmed for any other MCU films yet?

As far as I know they've only announced that he's contracted for Civil War and a Spider-Man trilogy and that part of the deal is that he won't appear in any MCU TV shows but I'd be amazed if Marvel Studios didn't secure him for Infinity War as well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HIJK posted:

Wait a goddamn minute we're getting another Spider-Man trilogy?

Why this.

Spider-Man is already a four billion dollar franchise. Hollywood is going to continue shoving Spider-Man trilogies into your face holes forever and ever.

Edit: Sony may have put the Venom and Sinister Six spinoffs into turnaround but they never gave up on them completely and recently announced that Venom was back on and they're hoping to turn it into a franchise.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 10, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OldTennisCourt posted:

So there's a 95% chance Goblin's the villain in the first MCU Spidey film right?

Feige has said he wants the first one to be set in high school and have a real John Hughes vibe.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/06/28/kevin-feige-next-spider-man-will-have-new-villains-john-hughes-vibe

It'll also feature new villains

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Boob Marley posted:

You are right.
And the mysterious idiot who made that abomination of a table got the memo. Whoever he was...

Comparing the MCU to the DCU at this point is one heck of a false equivalence since you're comparing one film to twelve films. There's absolutely no way of telling how the next eleven DCU films will compare to the MCU output so it's pretty pointless to try and make some sort of judgement call at this point.

In any case it took Marvel Studios several years to really find their feet. Iron Man may be their highest rated film on the graph but the four films immediately following that were four of their bottom five rated films. If you average out the ratings for their first five films it comes out at 6.95 which isn't significantly greater than Man of Steel's 6.7.

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually really hate the "Supes did 9/11" sentiment as well as the Thunderbolt Ross scene at the beginning of this new trailer implying that super people are responsible for disasters they get involved with. It strikes me as going up to a firefighter and saying "gee you seem to be at the scene of a lot of burning buildings".
Firefighters are all registered and regulated by the government. :v:
Also quite a few firefighters have turned out to be pyromaniacs, often getting caught out because they 'mysteriously' beat everyone else to the scene.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jutsuka posted:

The Avengers
Overall losses $18.8 billion, 74 casualties.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Overall losses $2.8 billion, 23 casualties.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Overall losses $474 billion, 177 casualties.

It's hilarious that the Avengers are involved in all this destruction and death and are threatened with constant military supervision or underwater Gitmo and Superman is involved in a whooole lot more destruction and death and he only has to attend a senate hearing. Although I really loving hate having to go to meetings too so I guess when you take that into account it's not all that much better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wonder who that is in the vat.

It's not Bucky (he's standing behind Iron Man) but it's the same facility that Bucky was in earlier in the trailer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

Yeah, as said above- and it's still ridiculous that out of all of the studios that have had Marvel properties, Elektra is the only attempt.

DC has tried in the past. They've been trying. And we're going to get Wonder Woman years before any female led Marvel film.

There's been several female led superhero movies: 1984 Supergirl, 2004 Catwoman, 2005 Elektra. Part of the current problem is that those three films really loving sucked and bombed really hard and gave female superheroes a reputation as box office poison. (There's a bizarre dichotomy in Hollywood film production where they're desperate to acquire and develop absolutely every IP they can get their hands on but they're also incredibly risk adverse.)

Don't forget that Catwoman was actually a really sincere attempt at making a female led superhero blockbuster. It had a $100 million budget (at the time that was the the 5th biggest budget of any superhero movie) and starred Halle Berry and Sharon Stone, two of the biggest female movie stars of the time . Hollywood just went "Well, we tried but audiences just don't want to see female superheroes!" and moved on.

The 1984 Supergirl movie, on the other hand, was produced back in the era of Superman 3 & 4, Howard the Duck and Swamp Thing and 5 years before Batman 1989 started the next superhero wave. It only had a budget of $35m (less than Howard The Duck's $38m budget) and starred first timer Helen Slater.

Elektra .... well you all know how hard that sucked.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think it's a little disingenuous to say that Sharon Stone was one of the biggest movie stars around 2004.

Yeah I'll pay that, for some reason I thought it Basic Instinct was just before it and not 12 years earlier.

Edit: in fact Catwoman was released just 2 years before Basic Instinct 2 which was pretty much the death knell on Stone's career

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 11, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

We saw plenty of indie, newer and lesser-known characters getting comic book movies, but not any of the really popular long-running ones. No Daredevil, no X-Men, no Spidey, no Iron Man, no Hulk, no GL, no Superman, Wonder Woman or Catwoman, etc. All this despite the 90s being filled with several of those having some rumored in-development work being done at the time.

I've been meaning to do some research on the comicbook movies that were developed but never actually went into production, just to get an idea of what could have been.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Boob Marley posted:

Took out the freshness column since that triggers people.

Interesting. So when we compare all the recent Marvel and DC movies we see that the MCU is all middle of the road (from good to not so good but never really good or really bad, comparatively) but when we look at every superhero from the last 38 years the MCU is "average to good"

Seems about right.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

I had an old comic book movie/media magazine from the late 80s/early 90s I recently threw away just due to quality, but it had a thing at the end about several productions allegedly in development at that time.

The old trade mags are great for stuff like that, I found a blog a while back where some guy trawls through the old movie trade magazines for announcements on movies that never ended up getting made.

Guy A. Person posted:

This is like the most bizarre current CD meme to me, and it doesn't just happen with superheros, I've seen it happen recently in the Ghostbusters and especially the Star Wars* thread. The idea that people don't just have bad taste or are dumb but actually know that they are objectively wrong and are just scrambling desperately to not lose face.

*honestly I think it originated with the prequel discussion since there are people who just cannot believe that anyone can like any aspect of the prequels, even on a moderate "credit where credit's due" level

It's a lovely strawman/ad hominem attack dialed up to 11. "I am so certain that I am so obviously correct in this matter that I cannot believe any honest, open minded person could possibly hold the opposing viewpoint, therefore anyone who disagrees with me must be lying." I guess in the modern era it was popularized by :foxnews: but it's leaking out into other media.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

I wonder if Tony Stark prefers Chicago or NYC style.

This is what actually sets off the Civil War

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If she hit the peanut hard enough to propel it at a velocity to smash a thick glass bottle, the force would have shattered the peanut.

Immersion ruined.

That reminds me of one of the old superhero RPG games which had a super ability specifically about maintaining the structural integrity of items in extreme situations so the hero could perform feats like lifting a ship without it falling apart around him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to discuss this but I recently saw American Hero and man, what a wasted premise. If you didn't like Hancock because the plot didn't really go anywhere, you will hate this movie. A lot of the scenes are individually well shot, but there isn't really a plot and nothing really happens. The worst thing is they have a bunch of little clues that make you think hey, something might happen at some point? But nothing ever does.

Yeah it really felt more like a character piece about a guy trying to get his life back together so he can see his kid again but he just so happens to have super powers which are another distraction/temptation he has to deal with in his life. 'Wasted potential' is one of the obvious themes running through the film but I wasn't really sure it was addressed at all by the end of the film.

The filmmaker might have been trying to make Melvin might have been a metaphor for the USA itself - he has a gigantic amount of power combined with booksmarts and good intentions but he's constantly distracted by frivolous partying, drugs and booze and old timey religion. When he does man up and try to affect change he goes for the nuclear option rather than the longterm smart option, which itself causes problems for himself and his friends. He just can't understand why his life isn't as great as he always imagined it and when he tries to bootstrap himself into a better person that doesn't work either.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"You don't have to kill him, you could just exile him to a blasted hellscape / keep him in solitary confinement forever" is already pooh-poohing a pretty complicated and ugly choice, but the bolded part is the stupidest thing in the entire article.

"The villain dies after falling into his own trap" thing, at least if it's portrayed in the usual way, signifies two things; that evil is self-defeating, and that evil people deserve to die. The first idea is awful because it promotes inactivity and trusting that the world will naturally work itself out in a just way. The second idea is awful because nobody deserves to die, that's why killing is wrong. Without "nobody deserves to die," a no-kill rule is inconsistent and hypocritical -- it's just saying "our hands should remain clean."

The cliched way to write a scene where the hero kills the villain in an acceptable manner is to have the hero utterly defeat the villain and make a small speech about how his reign of terror is ended and then turn around and start to walk off, then the villain draws a hidden weapon and goes to kill the hero so the hero suddenly spins around and shoots the villain dead in self defence. I've seen it happen dozens of times and it's the laziest Just World fallacy bullshit.

Guy A. Person posted:

in MoS he had no choice but to kill Zod and it was a snap decision
:v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I said come in! posted:

I feel like it's perfectly okay to change some of this stuff about these super heroes. Batman in this new movie clearly kills people without mercy. Watch the latest trailer, he is body slamming bad guys through floors and slamming them head first into hard objects, no way anyone in that room he took out survived those brutal attacks.

Batman 1989 straight up killed a whole bunch of the Joker's goons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPudZd3oI4
They also raceflipped Harvey Dent and hardly anyone gave a poo poo, they were too busy writing petitions trying to get Tim Burton taken off the project for having cast Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne. :v:
(Burton's justification was "Well he looks like the kind of person who'd need to dress up as a bat in order to intimidate criminals.")

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 20, 2016

• Locked thread