Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I learned the other night you can say "Academy Award winner The Wolfman (2010)"

Unless that's directed at the unrated cut and the award was "Getting hosed In The rear end By The Studio The Hardest"

Never did something deserve a victory less than this

in movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The original series was very, very, very resistant to character development, but it would indulge in it from time to time.

Cyborg keying into racism was one of those times.

The time he became a barbarian was another, sort of

By and large though no one changed ever

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love that he wears a leather jacket

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
She kind of looks like Elizabeth from Bioshock

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope that's not an actual SpiderVerse story

it'd be *REAL* lovely if Miles' first story is the one where there's a poo poo ton of Spider-Men running around. Kind of invalidates his role as Peter's successor

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I watched Spider-Man Homecoming

I have a few problems with it. First I'll say, it's easily better than Amazing Spider-Man 2, even if ASM2 has the single best Spider-Suit of them all. It might be better than Amazing Spider-Man but I honestly am not the one to ask about that, I've only seen ASM once. I MIGHT like it better than Spider-Man 3, honestly not sure.

So this isn't the WORST SPIDEY MOVIE EVER or any garbage like that. What it does do is something baffling. Does Uncle Ben exist in this universe? Because the way Peter acts for 90% of the film is like a Peter Parker that never lost Ben.

Like, he acts like the cocky, immature asshat who never learned that his actions have consequences that he always is before Ben gets shot. He just constantly fucks up and never takes anything seriously enough and is just a child- right up until he's trapped under the rubble. At that point he grows the gently caress up and starts acting like Peter Parker, a young one yeah but Peter Parker all the same.

Every situation Peter either causes or makes worse in the movie until the end. If this was intentional, it's interesting, but you're still left with a lovely person as the main character until he figures his poo poo out at the end. Regardless it's nice to see him develop and change, only...

Next we'll go to the best thing about this movie. The villains. The Vulture is fantastic, Keaton blows it away, and in ANY OTHER MOVIE he'd be the hero of the film. Shocker is fun though sadly under realized.

Keaton is just really goddamn good, and would have fit in perfect in the Raimi movies. His initial suit isn't great but his final improved wingsuit is fantastic.

A lot of the school poo poo is just awful teen drama nonsense that's just white noise, but they have some good scenes there.

The real problem of this segment is Liz Allen herself. She's just, not a character. Why does she like Peter? What does she think about things? What does she want from life?

In the movie she's just The Love Interest (but the temporary ones so don't worry)

She's The Point Of Drama between Peter and Keaton. The worst thing is, she didn't have to be. If time could have been spent on her she could have added a whole other layer to the entire movie, some extra depth. She could have been the love interest version of Harry Ozborn.

Here's how badly her character is treated- she never ONCE gets a scene alone with her dad. Not once. In the entire movie. They're barely on screen with one another as it is, and share like, three lines of dialogue. Because as far as this movie is concerned, she doesn't matter. But she should. SHE'S the emotional center of the loving film where all the characters revolve and their conflict with one another makes them both lose her. They just didn't want to do anything with her. Or maybe they couldn't. Maybe they didn't have time

Because instead of letting this be a real movie that stands on its own, we get Marvel poo poo intruding on it EVERY GODDAMN TIME. So we start the movie with Tony Stark loving over the little guy and driving them to crime with his illegal and shifty business practices.

We then spend the entire rest of the movie with Tony subbing in as Peter's dad and then are supposed to be so happy that he's getting married.

WHY ISN'T HE THE VILLAIN AGAIN?

Tony has learned absolutely nothing, and the movie should have ended with Peter calling him out on all of his ugly, stupid, corn-encrusted bullshit.

Instead Peter is still super nice with him and just goes on his merry way. You'd think he'd be bitter at Tony for making this whole ugly mess go down, or for not taking responsibility for what he has done, or ANYTHING. No. Nope. Nothing like that.

And then we get to the real problem with the Marvel poo poo.

Ever since Joss Whedon left, there has been this psychopathic urge to ruin every potentially serious or sincere scene with some kind of joke. This happens in Doctor STrange a loving lot, Thor, Guardians-

Civil War is about the only movie it doesn't happen in to my memory

And like okay. Thor 3 is mostly a comedy, sure fine.

Guardians is meant to be weird and insincere sure. Fine.

The story of Spider-Man Homecoming is not insincere, nor is it a comedy. Funny things can and DO happen, but they should be from the characters. Some of the stuff with Peter's friends is hilarious, Keaton gets a few good jokes here and there, but they're earned. They're a natural event of the narrative.

Whenever Marvel poo poo is happening, no matter what without fail, TO THE END WITH TONY AND PEPPER, some whacky tone shattering thing happens like a wet fart blaring over the sound track.

Happy tries to have a heart to heart with Peter- Toilet Gag!

Peter tries to be serious with Tony- YOU NAME IT

Peter's suit is the loving worst thing in the world. Karen is just the goddamn most awful and incoherent thing. One moment she's super savy and smart, the next she's super literal and does not get hu-mon thinking and emotions. I am so happy she's just gone from the movie after the two third mark.

The problem is that nothing is learned!

Peter learns NOTHING from this movie.

He accepts Tony's suit all over again instead of making his own. And we KNOW in Infinity War, he's going to accept the Iron Man Jr suit Tony made for him.

It's infuriating because there's a really good movie in here that I want to like, but all of this poo poo keeps happening that takes me right out of it.

I am dead tired of the Marvel Formula, and if this is how they want to treat Spider-Man, I'd rather Sony keep a tight hold on him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

The weird thing about his suit in Homecoming is just how bad some of the digital stuntwork is. There are digital doubles in the Raimi movies from 10 - 15 years ago that look less ropey than some of Spidey's flippydoo stuff in Homecoming, especially compositing-wise.

I think part of it might really be the fact that the suit in Homecoming *ALWAYS* looks fake, because the actual real life suit gets completely covered in CG gloss. There is almost never a moment where the suit looks like it should work, so we give it even less of a benefit of the doubt than we normally would.

The practical suit isn't even that bad looking but they completely smother it with CG smoothening from head to toe.

Also the action direction in the movie was kind of rear end.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

I hated in Spider-Man homecoming that the 15 year old kid acted like a kid. It really annoyed me. Doesn't he know he's Spider-MAN??? Sheesh!!

Celtic, have I ever been insulting or hyperbolic towards you?

Have I ever been anything but honest and straight forward?

I do not presume you cannot read, so I'm going to gently remind you- that was not my complaint. You can re-read it again if you'd like and actually use your reading comprehension to figure out the riddle of the puzzle you have some how construed

Or

I'll explain it here and just make it extra, super duper, completely transparent

It is not the issue that he is acting like a kid, that is fine. He's young. The issue is that he's acting like an entitled, over excited, incompetent moron who has no idea of personal responsibility for his actions.

This is not a flaw in and of itself. This is how Peter always acts when he first gets his powers. He becomes a very selfish person, indulges in the worst aspects of his nature.

With this Peter it even makes sense that he'd think about being a super hero instead of benefiting himself DIRECTLY.

He has a very shallow idea of what being super hero means but that's fine. The problem is that he acts like this for the entire movie until the last third.

The moment Peter, in every continuity, loses Uncle Ben is the moment he learns his actions have consequences and he respects his power. He takes responsibility for what he does and who he chooses to be. Notably this Peter isn't that much younger than any other one in the previous movies.

It's just instead of a moment of loss that brings him to this realization and starts making him act like Spider-Man, it's his own life being put in danger and then him remembering Daddy Stark giving him a big emotional speech.

They literally substitute Uncle Ben for Tony Stark and that is the most infuriating thing in the world on a subjective level, and they only have this change kick in, again, at the end of the movie.

Anything else you're confused about Celtic?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Things don't make sense when you stop reading them half way through. Funny that

CelticPredator posted:

Why can't I just be salty at a weird comment, yo

Get on my level son

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Burkion is clearly saying that Uncle Ben's death would fundamentally change Peter Parker and keep him from acting like a "typical" kid. I don't necessarily agree but that's what he's saying.

Specifically the guilt of it, assuming it played out like it normally does.

But here we don't even know if Ben was a thing so who knows

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I didn't have a problem with it as The Lesson is that Spider-Man's powers shouldn't be used for personal gain, but instead to make a positive impact in the community.

I got a lot of Spider-Man comics showing Peter Parker being a complete rear end, a petty jerk, a real cad, flakey, moronic, etc...never felt like he was behaving out of character. He's flawed, that's why I like him.

Oh no, I've gone into that before too. My favorite Peter is the angry, bitter one that we've never gotten in film yet.

I don't have a problem with Peter acting like this, my issue was how LONG he was acting like it. (Also why he stopped acting like it, because gently caress Stark)

I also think that Vulture and Peter should have met much earlier in the movie, but that would require Liz Allen to be an actual character and we can't have that

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

So basically, "Not my Spider-Man"? As that's been pointed among the MoS and BvS discussions, that is no longer a valid argument.

Davros, as a fellow Who thread person, come the gently caress on man.

That hot take of yours is so misplaced that I didn't even see it at first.

See here's the thing, what you took out of context was my preference of Spider-Man, that being the angry bitter one from the 60s and 70s. Mostly the 60s but he showed up a few times after.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Not My Anything because I did not hold this as a detriment against the movie- otherwise I would have to hold it against ALL the movies, which I don't.

That's just my preferred version of the character, who has never been in a movie.

Now if I had made my entire argument based on the fact that this is not the Peter Parker I like, Re Angry Peter, then you would have a point. I did not, so you do not.

If you're going to try and strangle what I say into something related to whatever the gently caress you want to bitch about, make sure it's actually relevant.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I could do for some pissed off Parker myself

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

The rest of that aside it's been a while since I saw it but doesn't he save them from getting crispy? Like, that's what ultimately forces the suicide by cop.

I think we even SEE them after the fact.

Not like, directly and cheering and poo poo that you'd get in a Marvel movie but I think we see them scamper off

But yes, they're alive. He takes a life to save theirs

Screaming at nothing in particular

loving Christ

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nasgate posted:

2. What are the best versions to watch of MoS and BvS?

Despite what the internet would tell you, there is only one version of Man of Steel.

For BvS, wait a little bit and K Waste can hook you up with the best version

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The nerd hate makes a lot more sense when you find out they‘ve hallucinated entire scenes.

What, you don't remember Lois and Clark making out on the corpses of thousands of Kryptonian babies?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Farg posted:

No DCU movie ranks above interesting failure at the absolute most, objectively

How so?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yaws posted:

I was quoting FoldableHuman. Who sucks at reading films.

I figured there was a gag there, last I checked you came around on Man of Steel

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It does indeed.

I really do hope that history remembers it better once all of this is said and done. BvS has some bone deep problems born from the studio but MoS is just such a good movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gatts posted:

Another thing is Reeve's Superman was confident, self assured and more complete a person. His entire demeanor had a confident "I got this handled and am in complete control of the situation." vibe which relaxed people. His Superman was in a world soon after the space age and around the Silver Age Superman.

Cavill's Superman is in a different world with modern convention thinking where he's going to be raised up and brought down based on the whims of how the mob feels or projects themselves onto him like a lot of modern celebrities or Christ figure. Snyder's Superman is a true Clark Kent interpretation, a good man doing his best to deal and bring the world forward with him on his shoulders but he fails to live up to what people want. So he's imperfect because of that. He can fail, he's not in control of the situation, he's inexperienced and he's facing challenges like Zod and participating in the complete destruction and extinction of his world and species. Superman 2 didn't exactly deal with that complexity as it was a bit more black and white. Hence "Not my Superman!" because he isn't the ideal in someone's head that they can rest everything on. That's also what his Father feared, when would he be ready to go out into the world and be mature enough to deal with it. Instead he toughs it through doing his best but his best is not good enough for some.

What's funny is, Reeve's Superman is not that dissimilar to Synder's take right up until he went into the Fortress of Solitude for like, a year and came out THE SUPERMAN

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Apocalypse didn't do well but you do realize X-Men is still one of the most recognizable franchises in the world right?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Top Gun posted:

You think Hugh Jackman is getting the Harrison Ford treatment?

What showing up in one last movie as a depressed old man version of his most iconic role and then dying?

I think they already did that

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also who gives a poo poo what Man of Steel is canon to

It's a good stand alone movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean let's be super honest here

They just haven't brought back J Jonah Jameson back. Like, they had the perfect actor for the role, they know they did, they know they cannot top it there is no surpassing what was there

So they aren't even trying to. The character is gone. He is retired. They did it perfect in one shot and they are never doing it again.

It was the most beautiful casting in any movie in the history of the world and they got it 100% right and now no one dares to try again.

Top Gun posted:

There is no timeline where Man of Steel is considered a good film

Considering that I do consider it a good film, clearly there is one

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well

We just had some excellent news from Alabama

Of course something had to fall to pieces, why not let it be Hollywood

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Donner's whole Superman is about Clark finding what it means to be Superman. He is certainly no "THE SUPERMAN" when he flies away from the Fotress. He's still very much Clark Kent in a suit.

Reeves' Superman doesn't reveal himself to the world until someone personal to him (Lois) is in trouble, only after his actions are seen by the world does he take to fighting bad guys, and the only bad guys he fights are common thieves. Which of course leads him to the moment of hubris when the first time he encounters someone who's intellectually his superior (Lex), it nearly leads to his death. It's interesting that his salvation comes only because of someone else's selfish motives (Miss Tessmacher's desire to save her mother), who wouldn't have been in danger in the first place is Superman hadn't revealed himself to the world.

Then there's the whole baptism metaphor with Superman putting someone else's desires (promising to save Miss Techmacher's mother) over his own wants. He even pleads to be allowed to save Lois first. Reeves' Superman is one who is very much flawed. People just overlook it because they expect a "flawed" character to be full of angst all the time.

Sometime when people talk about Superman The Movie, I wonder if they even watched it.

The main thing that I was referring to, which I decided not to go into because it would be a whole thing

After Superman leaves the fortress, we rarely see him as a person again. He's there, HE IS there, but it's muddled because he wears two different masks.

He wears the mask of Clark Kent Buffoon and he wears the mask of Superman, demi god savior of all

We only get to see the REAL Clark in very brief moments there after, the real person behind both facades.

He especially shows up when Lois dies and he's just unable to cope with that. Refuses to allow that to happen.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

10 Beers posted:

Net Neutrality vote today as well. Take your pick.

loving Christ

Fine

Take your morally bankrupt monopoly if that nightmare doesn't happen

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo they are SO ready to drop this down to a PG-13 if they are given a chance

I figure the only reason they aren't is because it's SO far in on production, it'd cost more money to tone it down

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh God this is great

I hope Deadpool 2 is just the biggest fiasco for them now

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein you loving savage.

Ahem, you will find that the true progenitor is Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, you philistine

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean if they're smart, they'd do House of M with Scarlet Witch for the fourth Avengers movie

Only instead of her erasing Mutants, she makes them a thing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Marvel's TV division literally cannot make references anymore to the movies. All the stuff from earlier shows (like all the Winter Soldier fallout in Agents of SHIELD, or "the big green guy" reference that's in, I think, Luke Cage) were written long before Kevin Feige's putsch.

That is the funniest thing to me

Able to buy loving Fox itself

Still can't get rid of Ike.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dove needs a lot more bright white

But bright white is super loving hard to actually do on a practical suit, so I guess I can't blame them

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think you know well who's got it down

Super hero movies need to use spandex more

They won't because it doesn't look great on the big screen but goddamn is it a nice material for stunt work

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No gently caress it did, it's a mainline Star Wars movie in the Disney era.

The moment one of these doesn't make 500 million on its opening two weekends is the day Disney goes into panic mode and takes the series behind a shed

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Huh the guy who wrote BVS and Justice League is writing Star Wars Episode 9

Which guy? There were several

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

As Mexican born, raised and living in Mexico. I have to say I find all the praise Coco is receiving to be overblown. Is not really an accurate depiction of the mexican society (unless people thinks we're still living like we did back in the 30s), it takes so many liberties with the lore of Day of Dead to be an accurate depiction and the story itself is nothing truly revolutionary nor something that can't be told without the mexican backdrop.

People are also quick to forget the whole debacle of Disney having the gall to try and trademark the loving Holiday as theirs, the lack of actual mexicans within the staff beyond the cast for the dub (and that is something that we do for nearly every movie now so isn't a huge plus either). In general it just seems that people just got swept by the very effective ad campaign Disney bombarded us for weeks leading to the film's release than actual achievements from the film.

It's almost like Disney is all about the image they project and nothing about whatever substance they may or may not have.

I loving loath Disney as a company. I really do. Rarely do they make a Bad Movie like Sony, but they often do something worse. They make a Nothing Movie.

They make a movie that pays lip service to the idea of progression or whatever, if they even go that far, but instead it's just a safe bland edges filed off piece of fluff with nothing much to say or do.

Hunchback of Notre Dame is likely the last movie they actually tried with and you can see, QUITE vividly, how scared they were and how much they tried to pull back on it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It is a movie that is pathologically afraid of itself. It's kind of fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I

For some reason I read that as Gnarls Barkley and then replaced THAT with Cee Lo Green

So I was thinking "What, because Glee covered gently caress You?"

• Locked thread