Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And now is Affleck's turn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLmSUSqjC-k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
How about some positive BvS rumours for a change?

quote:

Up to now, the exact nature and extent of Gadot’s Amazonian warrior’s role in Snyder’s new movie has been largely relegated to a subservient, supplementary nature to the film’s presumed titular showdown. However, a rumor from a talking heads panel broadcast on the Collider YouTube channel suggests that Gadot will hit the ground running, when he makes her big screen debut as Wonder Woman in Batman V Superman.

In the footage featured above starting at the 23:13 minute mark, show hosts Jon Schnepp and John Campea are joined by special guests Chris Gore and Robert Meyer Burnett to talk about several interrelated topics associated with the latest superhero movie news, including the role of Gadot as Wonder Woman in Batman V Superman. According to multiple rounds of eyewitness testimony provided by the esteemed panel, a number of unnamed viewers have seen Snyder’s new movie have consistently stated that Gadot “steals the movie” and her role is more substantial than trailers and TV spots for the film might lead you to believe.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Pretty extensive article about the way the DCEU is being built

Some stuff stood out to me

quote:

The DC movie braintrust says they still had to be careful. They had to wait, they had to plan. They had to do some Batman-level strategizing.

“You have to get each individual movie right, and that’s been our focus. We pushed the release date of Batman v Superman to March. It was supposed to be out last year,” says Silverman. “The gift of time that [we gave it] allowed it to live up to its full potential, and for anybody else thinking of doing it, that’s the thing to do. Every movie has to be treated as if it’s the only movie — while you’re falling in love with how they’re all going to connect.”

How did BvS make use of that extra year? If they were going to introduce other “metahumans” for the future Justice League film, they’d need to cast them: Gadot as Wonder Woman, Ray Fisher as Cyborg, Ezra Miller as the Flash, Jason Momoa as Aquaman. But to cast these roles, they also wanted input from the directors of those individual spin-offs (Patty Jenkins for Wonder Woman, Seth Grahame-Smith for Flash, James Wan for Aquaman), which meant they’d need stories to recruit those filmmakers. Even Affleck is considering co-writing and directing a future stand-alone Batman film.

Not every piece had to be in position to start, but they had to begin setting up those other movies to make sure BvS could properly introduce as many of new characters from the DC universe as it could while still telling a story that stood on its own.

“[Green Lantern] is an incredible character. He’s actually multiple incredible characters,” Silverman says. “There’s real opportunity there. We didn’t do a great job on that first Green Lantern movie. This is a character who deserves to be treated in the same way that Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman are being treated now, which is with great reverence. I guess I can say to the Green Lantern fans: if they can be patient with us, I think they’ll be really happy.”

But how patient? Rovens says we may not see Hal Jordan, John Stewart, or any incarnation of Green Lantern until Justice League – Part Two. Maybe. “Every beat of the movie is not yet worked out. So there’s the possibility that he may or may not be in Justice League 2,” the producer says. “For now, we felt that we were introducing enough characters that the best possible place we could put Green Lantern is some introduction in Justice League 2, or barring that, a movie after.” (:cry:)

If BvS sounds crowded, it actually got smaller as time went on. The PG-13 movie’s 2 hour 31 minute runtime will expand further with an R-rated “Ultimate Edition” on home video, featuring even more brutal fight scenes as well as additional hints at future films. There’ll also be some new characters, including a secret one played by Jena Malone, who was cut from the theatrical release.

The shared universe took so long to coordinate not just because of business machinations, but because the DC movie braintrust had to make sure that each character felt distinct and strong. Nobody wants their favorite comic book hero to become somebody else’s sidekick. And Warner Bros. executives learned from 2011’s Green Lantern that getting it wrong can set their movie plans back for many years.

Geoff Johns, chief creative officer at DC Entertainment and an executive producer of BvS, says the challenge is not just making the heroes fit together, but ensuring that they stand apart.

“The hardest piece, and probably the most rewarding, was Wonder Woman,” Snyder says. “You have to establish her but don’t give it away; don’t cash it all in. She’s enough in the movie where you definitely feel her presence. And she makes a huge impact on the film. But there are giant mysteries still surrounding her at the end of the movie.”

Wonder Woman’s role also marks not just the expansion of the DC movie universe, but a recognition that the audience for these movies is growing, too. It can’t just be a boys’ club anymore. “I can’t get over the fact that she’s going to be 75 years old and this is the first time she’s gracing the silver screen,” says Deborah Snyder, who’s also producing the Wonder Woman stand-alone film. “I think all these things — truth and love and wanting peace and all the things that she represents – is something that we all look up to and would want. In order for women to believe that they can do this, they have to see it.”

Snyder and co-writer Chris Terrio (who won an Oscar for Argo) cleverly jiu-jitsu a common complaint about Man of Steel to explain why Batman hates Superman so much: he blames him for the death and the destruction the hero unleashed on Metropolis in his battle with General Zod.

“The idea that there are more, that’s hopeful and also terrifying to him,” says Affleck. “Because then they could make humans even more powerless – or they could serve on our side.” This is a Batman who has been at it for nearly two decades, and he’s both tired and a little hopeless.

The trailer features a Robin uniform, covered with Joker graffiti, which implies the Boy Wonder has been killed in a previous story. He’s starting to wonder if he ever really saved anyone – or just made things worse. “He’s projecting his own sense of failure, his own sense of disillusionment, his own cynicism onto Superman,” Affleck says.

But the Robin suit is another example of groundwork BvS is laying for other movies. “We’ll be exploring that,” says Johns, who has consulted on the full slate. “No one says specifically the name of which Robin that is.”

The film is laced with dream sequences for both Batman and Superman that hint at dangers to come – including the possible appearance of DC’s galactic ultra-villain Darkseid. The Flash (played by Miller) appears in one such nightmare of Bruce Wayne’s, delivering a cryptic message to the Dark Knight.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some details on BvS R-Cut via EW

quote:

One of the things cut from the theatrical release: A mystery character played by Jena Malone. Fans have been speculating about who she plays for months – and they’ll have to wait a few more before they find out.

“I think we should keep it private, but it’s nothing that’s been talked about,” Snyder says. “She’s definitely not Robin or Batgirl. I’m happy to say that.”

Some of what’s being added to the “Ultimate Edition” counts as a spoiler, so we won’t reveal all of the extra material. Suffice to say, some minor characters in the theatrical cut are given expanded storylines. And a few other actors will join Malone in being rescued from the cutting room floor.

“There’s a couple, like, Ahman Green, the running back from the Green Bay Packers, he’s in it. And C.T. Fletcher is like this bodybuilder muscle-guru from Compton, this awesome guy. He’s amazing, and he’s in it,” Snyder says. “And then there’s just a lot of these Easter Eggs in the Director’s Cut that I think are gonna be fun for everyone.”

Some of the additions are aimed at teasing future movies, like 2017’s Justice League film, which Snyder begins shooting in April. “There’s one giant one that I won’t tell you about yet that speaks to what’s gonna go on in the greater Justice League universe,” he says.

The only other question is: what exactly is in the new material that earned the R-rating?

Back in September, the ratings board gave the shorter version of Batman v Superman a PG-13 for “intense sequences of violence and action throughout, and some sensuality.” The R-rating came with the even more vague designation: “for sequences of violence.”

BvS producer Charles Roven, who also worked on Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight trilogy, says the “Ultimate Edition” won’t be gratuitous. “There’s not a lot of blood in our movies,” he says. “The ratings board also judges their PG-13 and R ratings by what they consider to be a level of intensity and how much that intensity goes throughout the entire movie. There are some pretty intense scenes in Batman v Superman, and if they went on longer and had that same level of intensity, that might cause the ratings board to shift their rating.”

Although Fox’s adaptation of the trash-talking, hyper-violent Marvel character Deadpool has producers and studio executives wondering whether R-rated superheroes could become a new trend, that’s unlikely to happen in the DC universe – apart from perhaps home video releases.

Sources at Warner Bros. tell EW on background that the studio still seeks the widest possible audience during the theatrical run, and that R – which stands for “Restricted” – does just what it describes.

If you want to make sure high school kids can get into your big, expensive action movie (without having to buy a ticket to a rival’s movie and then sneak in) then don’t put up a roadblock like that.

The R-rated success of Deadpool could be the exception rather than the start of a trend. And although the R-rated extended cut of BvS was in the works long before Deadpool’s release, the box office for that Ryan Reynolds movie reassured Warner Bros. executives that the more intense home video option was a worthwhile experiment.

Roven, who’s also producing this August’s Suicide Squad, another film in the DC movie universe, confirms that that movie – about a team of villains recruited to do the right thing on a deadly mission – won’t go for the R-rating in theaters. “I think right now we’re going for the PG-13. I don’t know that that’s going to materially change,” he said. “We can give that movie the edge that it needs and still maintain a PG-13.”

Affleck, who is considering both directing and starring in a stand-alone Batman film in the DC movie universe, says he’s glad the genre has become so widely embraced that it can sustain different types of superhero films. As long as there are options, he says he’s for it.

“These movies have definitely evolved from being comic books for children aimed at kids. Now they’re the most mainstream movies made, the most successful, the most widely viewed movies these days,” he says. “Clearly there’s a big enough audience. I think it’s cool. Why not have an R-rated version that you release for download or on DVD later? I think that’s smart.”

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Joseph Gordon Levitt has dropped from the Sandman project

https://www.facebook.com/JoeGordonLevitt/posts/1216006645089664

quote:

RE: SANDMAN
So, as you might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, a while back, David Goyer and I made a producing deal with Warner Brothers to develop a movie adaptation of Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN. Neil himself came on as an executive producer, we hired the excellent screenwriter, Jack Thorne, and we started in on the ambitious task of adapting one of the most beloved and boundary-pushing titles in the world of comics. I was pleased with the progress we were making, even though we still had quite a ways to go.
Recently, as you also might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, the sorta "ownership" (for lack of a better term) of the Sandman material changed hands when Warner Brothers shifted the entire catalogue of Vertigo comics (an imprint of DC) to their subsidiary, New Line. And a few months ago, I came to realize that the folks at New Line and I just don't see eye to eye on what makes Sandman special, and what a film adaptation could/should be. So unfortunately, I decided to remove myself from the project. I wish nothing but the best for the team moving forward.
I'd like to thank all the great people I've had the opportunity to work with on this one. I've had a blast with and learned a ton from David and Jack. Niija Kuykendall, Greg Silverman, and everyone at Warner Brothers have been fantastic, as have Geoff Johns and everyone at DC. And it's been a particular privilege as well as a rocking good time getting to know Mr. Gaiman, whose generous insights and masterful work have certainly convinced me that the Lord of Dreams and the Prince of Stories are one and the same Endless pattern.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj1mYq03Pfc

I love this campaign.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

As the source is comicbook.com it's very possible that this is 100% bullshit but if it's not it's some amazing trolling on DC/WB's part.

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/07/j-k-simmons-cast-as-commissioner-gordon-in-justice-league/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-adds-jk-simmons-873227

Is real

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

https://www.facebook.com/benaffleck/videos/1024285027645924/
:drat:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jeff Nichols explains why he passed on Aquaman

quote:

Nichols admits that he was in talks to direct Aquaman, but joked, “If you were a director working on the Warner Bros. lot over the past few years, someone is going to ask you about a DC character at some point.” While working primarily on indie movies like Mud and Take Shelter over the past few years, Nichols had been eager to work at the studio level, primarily with Warner Bros., a studio he felt was particularly artist friendly. He was equally as eager to work on a larger budget, but despite some “fun conversations,” never felt fully comfortable working within the confines of the DC Cinematic Universe.

But, you now [sighs] the trick with ‘Midnight Special’ is even though it was made at the studio, they gave me a lot of control over the process. And I don’t just mean control over final cut, but it felt like we were making one of my movies. I had my team. I had my family there. My crew. We made the movie we all wanted to make. With the DC universe, so many parts of it had been activated and so many decisions had already been made that it felt more and more — and Warner Bros. agreed — that it was me trying to jump on a moving train. That’s not so much what I’m good at. I’m more of a ground up kinda guy.

Aquaman had already been cast at this point (Jason Momoa), his costume designed and there had been at least one script in development, so it’s not surprising Nichols was at least weary of joining a project so far along. But, there is certainly no shortage of characters in the DC universe that are getting their own movie, would he want to return and develop one of those characters?

Not really. Because, it’s all a connected universe. And it should be. And I was an advocate of that. The decisions that Zack (Snyder) is going to make in Batman vs. Superman, those all connect to things that are going to happen in Justice League and all that. And I was a huge comic book nerd, so I know all these characters and they all need to be beautifully webbed together. I was just far enough on the outside that I could develop things in a vacuum all day long but it wasn’t going to line up with everything they had planned.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/707667264758124544

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I have no idea where this came from but I love the Cavill bit

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/708085828984016896

:haw:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Am I insane or the truck's horn sounds similar to the 80's cartoon song?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Amber Heard is officially cast as Mera

https://twitter.com/etnow/status/710635684571299840

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Zack Snyder says he never considered bringing Grant Gustin as the cinematic Flash

quote:

“I just don’t think it was a good fit,” says Snyder of bringing in Gustin’s verison of The Flash to “The Justice League,” which starts filming next month. “I’m very strict with this universe and I just don’t see a version where...that (tone is) not our world.”

“Even if Grant Gustin is my favorite guy in the world and he’s very good, we made a commitment to the multi-verse (idea), so it’s just not a thing that’s possible.”

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kush posted:

They really sold the scene where this picture appears in BvS; the music rising up and Affleck's shocked face when he sees the picture. It really felt like something out of this world had come true and it's hard to process even for men who have seen some poo poo in their day.

Speaking of, it warms my heart to see Momoa so loving PUMPED for Justice League

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDRrC1GPHIY/

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Deadline is reporting that BvS is gearing to become the best opening in WB's story

quote:

After a spell of big-budget disasters last year from Jupiter Ascending to Pan, cash is finally raining on the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank, CA as Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is set to post the biggest pre-summer opening day ($82M, beating Furious 7‘s $67.4M) and weekend ($170M, outstripping The Hunger Games’ $152.5M). Heck, BvS is poised to be Warner Bros. best opening of all-time, beating Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 ($169.2M), and even The Dark Knight Rises ($160.9M) and The Dark Knight ($158.4M). In 4,242 theaters, BvS is the widest pre-May release and new record-holder for top March and Easter debuts. Reported yesterday: Flash grosses show BvS winning over China with $21.2M. Add that to the two-day $44M tally and the pic’s foreign cume is north of $65M.

That has to be good news, right?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

‘Batman V Superman’ Kicks ‘Avengers’ For Best Superhero Global Debut & Beats ‘Hunger Games’ For Pre-Summer Opening U.S. Title — Sunday B.O.

Warner Bros. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice didn’t beat The Avengers in the states ($207.4M), but worldwide they punched out the Marvel hero team with a $424M debut. That beats Avengers’ $392.5M opening, and is the fourth highest bow of all-time globally, even outpegging Universal’s Furious 7‘s $397.7M.

The Burbank, CA-based studio needed this opening like a guy in the desert thirsting for water, particularly after a 2015 fraught with big budget disasters like Pan, Jupiter Ascending, In the Heart of the Sea, and Man From U.N.C.L.E. Obviously, BvS is another big win for franchised properties on the big screen. That’s what stands out here as the winning formula next to last year’s previous pricey ambitions greenlit by Warner Bros.

As one rival studio executive exclaimed today after looking at BvS’ success, “I don’t think anyone read the reviews!” Advance ticket sales firms are reporting that BvS is already generating 30% more repeat business than they normally see. Late night shows are even bigger than Warner Bros. calculated. Originally, they thought BvS made $49M yesterday, but when they woke up this morning, its second day take moved to $50.8M.

BvS’ stateside $170M haul marks a studio best for Warner Bros., taking out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2‘s $169.1M. Hopefully that figure holds into tomorrow as rivals have BvS with an estimated $168.5M FSS. BvS also easily owns the following records: best pre-summer and March opening beating The Hunger Games’ $152.5M, as well as best Easter opening kicking aside Furious 7 $147.2M. BvS has also beaten up The Dark Knight Rises ($160.9M) and The Dark Knight’s ($158.4M) first frames to become the best debut for a DC Comics big screen adaptation. Everyone is expecting BvS to follow the path of most films in the top 10 with a -30% to -35% decline this Easter Sunday. Only faith-based pics like Miracles of Heaven and Risen are seeing -10% dip from Saturday.

There’s slew of other records BvS broke: best opening for Ben Affleck (beats Pearl Harbor‘s $75.2M), Henry Cavill and director Zack Snyder (Man of Steel‘s $116.6M). To date, BvS is also the best FSS for the year, beating Deadpool‘s $132.4M. The projection is that the B CinemaScore –of which there were 22% under 18-year olds who loved it with an A- and 40% under 25ers at 40% who gave it a B+– will translate into a 2.25 multiple, which would put BvS’ final tally at $383M stateside.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/batman-v-superman-opening-weekend-box-office-records-1201726300/

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 27, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Deakul posted:

Not surprising.

Also, any good news about BvS breaking box office records will likely only reassure WB/DC that there's absolutely nothing wrong with their outings and they'll keep making the same mistakes.
So, no, no :dance:ing here.

I'm fine with that, I greatly enjoyed the movie :shrug:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy Crap, Ezra Miller got swole for the Flash

:eyepop:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

How many of those movies had a family holiday on Sunday?

How did other blockbusters with openings on family holidays fare on previous years?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Now this is an article I trust

quote:

How ‘Batman V Superman’ Will Turn A Profit Despite Critical Kryptonite

Warner Bros.’ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice might come up $3.7M million short of breaking even in its global theatrical run. However, the first title in DC features 2.0., which was blasted by critics with a 29% Rotten score and given a B CinemaScore from audiences, likely will turn a minimum profit of $207.9M once all revenue streams are accounted. Warner Bros provided no comment about BvS projections. Financial analysts today assembled a bare-minimum projection for the Zack Snyder movie, which is projected to turn in a domestic B.O. of $375M (2.25 times its $166M FSS) and a global take of $925M.

“It will not make a profit in the way that Zootopia (global B.O. $698M, cost $150M) or Deadpool (global B.O. $746M, cost $58M) have,” said our source. We’ve heard that any B.O. figure north of $800M was considered a good start for DC movies 2.0. Some sources think there’s a possibility that BvS could hit $1B globally, and that’s because nothing is standing in the pic’s way. Disney’s live-action/CGI version of The Jungle Book debuts April 8 in Australia, Argentina, Russia and Southeast Asia (15% of foreign) before touching down April 15 stateside. Seventy percent of international will bow day-and-date with U.S. Universal’s The Huntsman: Winter’s War starts its journey abroad in 24 territories on April 6 and lands in U.S./Canada and everywhere else April 22.

Currently, exhibitors are projecting a 65% decline for BvS this weekend, or $74.7M (we heard some exhibitors weren’t overly thrilled, but if it’s making money, that’s not going to stop them from showing it). In regards to its tracking,The Jungle Book conceivably could open to $62M in No. 1 stateside, fueled by female and older male quadrants. Last year, after F7 opened over Easter weekend, it held the top spot for four frames until Avengers: Age of Ultron launched the summer.

In the rundown below, foreign rentals are figured at 40%, while U.S./Canadian money comes back to Burbank at an average 55% of domestic B.O. We’ve also heard that worldwide P&A rose from $150M to $165M at the last minute “because Warner Bros had to make sure this picture opened,” said another source. Pricey P&A is never a bad thing: It means that the studio gave a drat and invested in the movie. Had it not spent, and BvS didn’t open, then that would be bad.

Global home entertainment revenues (that includes SVOD) for BvS are estimated at $260M, which would be less than the $311M made by Age of Ultron. Worldwide TV revenue at $135M would also be estimated to be under Ultron‘s $143M total TV take. Participations and residual payouts to the BvS cast are estimated at $92.4M, which is $10M less than Ultron. The chart is below. Note, this is before any merchandising is taken into consideration. Three years ago, The Licensing Letter weighed global retails sales for Batman and Superman at $771M combined.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ercboxoffice/status/714819275123351552

This has to be good news.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

Wonder Woman > Justice League > Flash > Aquaman > Shazaam > Justice League > Cyborg > Green Lantern

GL being kind of an afterthought is the only thing I don't like of the way WB is handling DC's Cinematic Universe

I like GL :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/03/31/suicide-squad-reshoots-bode-well-for-the-dc-movieverse

quote:

A couple of weeks ago I spoke with an excellent source who told me something surprising: the trailer for Suicide Squad, the one with the Queen song, did not represent the film as it then existed. "Every joke in the movie is in that trailer," this source told me. The enormous positive response to the trailer led to Warner Bros requesting reshoots that would alter the tone of the film, bringing in some more of the lightness to which audiences responded.

I have since spoken to more sources and I understand that the reshoots are happening right now, as recently as this week, and that they're big - tens of millions of dollars big. And they're adding more humor and lightness into the film.

This, to me, is great news. Hearing that WB is aware that they need to inject some fun into these movies - and that's what I'm hearing is happening here, not that they're inserting jokes left and right but that they're beefing up fun character moments and interactions - can only mean good things for the future of the DC Movieverse after the deadly serious, zero fun Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Somewhat dissapointing if true, about changing the movie's tone I mean.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Looking through Deadline reports on BvS's Box Office, I think is clear that while clearly failing to live up to the expectatives is far from being the absolute bomb some places are making it seem.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interesting read

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265

quote:

Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in. Now, with DC movies dated through 2020, the outcome has led to a flurry of rumors that the studio will make adjustments — maybe add a new producer? — rather than allow BvS director Zack Snyder to proceed with the two-part Justice League. But sources with firsthand knowledge of the situation say the studio has no such plans. One says the filmmakers naturally will evaluate what went wrong with BvS, but when it comes to Justice League, "we're not going to take a movie that's supposed to be one thing and turn it into a copycat of something else."

Many top industry executives believe the troubles with BvS are the latest sign of the instability created when Time Warner chairman and CEO Jeff Bewkes ousted Alan Horn as president in 2011. That set the stage for the infamous executive bake-off and the exit of Jeff Robinov, then head of the successful film group.

Ultimately, Bewkes promoted Tsujihara to the top Warners job and created a committee to run the film studio that includes president Greg Silverman and marketing and distribution chief Sue Kroll. It's fair to say things haven't gone so well since. (Warners' loss was Disney's gain, with Horn presiding over that studio as it has become dominant.)

In an era of turmoil and transformation, even competitors aren't eager to see a legacy studio like Warner Bros. struggle. Warners long has been known for its commitment to filmmaker- and star-driven projects, but sources see signs of a change in culture, though the studio denies there is one. Several executives and agents say Warners seems to be greenlighting fewer homegrown movies as it focuses on silos that echo those that generate so many hits for Disney (Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar and Disney Animation). In Warners' case, the silos are DC Comics, Lego and a planned franchise spun off from the Harry Potter series. Tsujihara has touted that trio as the linchpin of his film strategy, and now, much like Disney, has eschewed all but a few original live-action films. Overall, sources say there is an understanding Warners is aiming to release fewer homegrown films than the industry-leading 21 it did in 2015. The studio still will make some movies from "family" directors including Affleck, Clint Eastwood, Christopher Nolan and Todd Phillips. But the emphasis is elsewhere. One insider says the studio will remain a dominant distributor, but "when you get to almost a movie every other weekend or a period where there's a movie three weeks in a row, that's too much."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh
Wonder Woman is pushed up two weeks and two new untitled DC films are added to the slate

quote:

In DC cinematic universe news, Wonder Woman, which will star Gal Gadot (who made her debut in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice), is moving up from June 23, 2017, to June 2, 2017.

Warner Bros. also set dates for two of its now-untitled DC films: Oct. 5, 2018, and Nov. 1, 2019. These new dates are set for yet-to-be announced films and are in addition to the already set DC films, which include Suicide Squad (August 5, 2016), The Flash (March 16, 2018), The Justice League Part One (Nov. 17, 2017), Aquaman (July 27, 2018), Shazam! (April 5, 2019), Justice League Part Two (June 14, 2019) and Cyborg (April 3, 2020)

An untitled WB event film is slated for Oct. 6, 2017.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

They said one of these is going to be a Suicide Squad sequel I think .

That one and Affleck's solo Batman would be my guess

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More stuff about Suicide Squad.

They're indeed doing re shoots

https://twitter.com/brettschulte/status/717584093446168576

https://twitter.com/brettschulte/status/717787380321619969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr83sLEAU1A

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jason Momoa talks about the BvS backlash and Aquaman

quote:

"I like fighting. So, I'm looking forward to being a superhero and just fighting," he teases. "There's some good battles."

After that, Momoa will front his own Aquaman movie, set to hit theaters on July 27, 2018 and directed by James Wan (Furious 7). When we asked what will surprise fans about the movie, the King of the Seven Seas himself compared it to...a Marvel movie?!

"It's just something that hasn't been explored before," he reveals. "For me, it's like Iron Man. When Iron Man came out, it was like, 'Wow!' We haven't explored that character before and Robert Downey took it to a whole nother level. He's genius and it was amazing. I loved it."

ET recently confirmed that Amber Heard will join Momoa as Aquaman's wife, Mera, and though he says they have not had a chance to "really get in there and break it down yet," he tells us, "I'm super stoked. She's awesome!"

One of the responsibilities of directing one of these superhero tentpole movies is dealing with backlash, something Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice director Zack Snyder experienced when the movie hit theaters to polarizing reviews and endless fan opinions.

"There's been some things here and there, but I'm stoked. There's a lot of support from fans," Momoa says of the backlash. "There's a big beautiful world. There's a lot -- a lot -- of stuff. I feel really privileged to know that there's a lot of big, beautiful stuff that's going to happen. I'm excited too, for people to see the final product. And now it's our turn -- it's Justice League time! I've been waiting for four years that I've known about it that I've had to keep my mouth shut. I'm super pumped to shoot it!"

"Some people liked it, some people didn't, it is what it is," he added. "I don't get it, but I don't really listen to what anyone says...You can't win 'em all. And I had a ball. I loved it."

He's such a great guy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Umberto Gonzales recently dropped some very interesting rumours about the future of the DC Cinematic Universe

quote:

>WB is considering releasing the R-rated 3 hour cut of BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE in theaters.

>Batman is a much more prominent character in SUICIDE SQUAD than it appears. Test-screenings have recently happened.

>SUICIDE SQUAD will launch a new trailer that'll be screened with copies of CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR. It might have an early released this Sunday after the MTV awards, and it's cut to "Ballroom Blitz".

>The secret WB/DC movie that is being released on November 1, 2019 is the standalone BATMAN movie starring Ben Affleck.

Keep in mind the guy has an excellent track record about DC.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

Batman and Superman are cultural icons, so anything less than $2 billion is a failure.

Superman isn't even one of DC's best selling comics anymore. Hell, DC as whole has been on a decline for a while.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Cameo posted:

I feel like people also forget that Snyder attracts really ridiculous talent to movies that ostensibly these people would never attach themselves to. He's very good at convincing actors to go on his crazy adventure - just as a random assortment, the man's worked with Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames, Oscar Isaac, Jon Hamm, Michael Fassbender, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Lena Headey, Hugo Weaving, Carla Gugino, Kevin Costner, Dominic West, Scott Glenn, Michael Shannon, Laurence Fishburne, Billy Crudup, Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Haley, Jena Malone, Emily Browning, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Chris Meloni, Geoffrey Rush, Sam Neill, Helen Mirren, Joel Edgerton, Jesse Eisenberg, Ben Affleck, Jeremy Irons, Ezra Miller, Holly Hunter, and now J.K. Simmons.

I mean how in the hell did he talk Holly Hunter into a role in a goddamn capeman fighting cowlman movie. I'm still astounded he talked Sarah Polley into doing a zombie movie in a time when 1) zombies were not a big thing, and 2) she was avoiding studio pictures almost purposely (she hadn't done a studio picture since Go in 1999).

Motherfucker even beat Steve McQueen to the Fassbender punch. 300 was Fassbender's first non-TV work. Like, that's a holy poo poo prescient eye for talent, especially when you realize that he's the "fight in the shade" guy who has a lot of little star moments sprinkled throughout the film. He gave Oscar Isaac a juicy villain role when the only two people prior had seen anything in him were Ridley Scott and Catherine Hardwicke (and God drat, does Isaac relish playing Blue. He has a loving BALL filling in that character).

And he talked Affleck into playing Batman. That's clearly on the "worked out well" side of things.

Plus he clearly has made the right choice with Gadot being Wonder Woman, based off critical reception to her.

WB might just stick with him because he gives the studio access to people who would probably say no otherwise, no matter what insanity he tells them they're about to do.

Speaking of this, is pretty nice what Shannon had to say about Snyder

quote:

"I have a ton of respect for Zack Snyder. I loved working with him on Man of Steel. I think his films have their own unique style and he’s very authentically drawn to that."

"It’s not like he makes these movies but secretly wishes he was doing something else," the actor continued. "It's what he wants to do. It’s valid."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...r-a6972776.html

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Whoah, Joker looks hosed up in the 1:55 mark.

Other than that, really great trailer.

EDIT: I just love that Slipknot vanishes from the trailer after Flagg is telling them how they will end dead.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 11, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/719439142925373440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Uh, they released another TMNT trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAbRg7xUtVU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/markhughesfilms/status/719595692843360257

Good, I was curious about that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:siren:Willem Dafoe is cast in Justice League:siren:

quote:

Willem Dafoe is joining the good guys in Justice League.

The movie began production last week with Zack Snyder, fresh off of the worldwide tour promoting Batman v Superman, in the director’s chair.

Batman (Ben Affleck), Superman (Henry Cavill), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), Aquaman (Jason Momoa), the Flash (Ezra Miller) and Cyborg (Ray Fisher) are the super-powered characters who must team up to combat a threat beyond each member's capabilities. (Warner Bros. is playing it coy about whether the villain is classic DC bad guy Darkseid, who was hinted at in BvS.)

Chris Terrio wrote the screenplay for Justice League, which will be released in two parts by Warner Bros. Justice League: Part One will hit theaters on Nov. 17, 2017, while Part Two is slated for release on June 14, 2019.

In early March, the production added J.K. Simmons to the cast as the Gotham City Police Commissioner Gordon.

Dafoe, who starred as the villainous Marvel character Green Goblin in Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man movies, is playing a good guy in a role that will see him appear in both parts of the JL movies. Details of his character, however, are being kept under lock and key.

Charles Roven, Snyder and Deborah Snyder are producing Justice League.

Dafoe memorably appeared in the Keanu Reeves action movie John Wick and recently wrapped shooting Legendary’s fantasy The Great Wall with Matt Damon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

VJeff posted:

Please God, let "he's a good guy" be a misdirect and let him be playing Darkseid.

What about Highfather? :v:

If anyone's curious, I found the rumors that mentioned Dafoe

quote:

>Zack Snyder might not direct JUSTICE LEAGUE 2 if JUSTICE LEAGUE also receives critical backlash.

JUSTICE LEAGUE is massive and filled with characters. Snyder and Chris Terrio wrote the script together.

Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Ezra Miller, Jason Momoa, Ray Fisher, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne, J.K. Simmons, Jena Malone, Jeremy Irons, Connie Nielsen, Viola Davis, Diane Lane, Joe Morton and Harry Lennix are the returning actors from previous movies.

Amber Heard, Alona Tal, Imogen Poots, James Remar, Alfred Molina and Ed Harris are also cast as Mera, Black Canary, Iris West, Darryl Frye, Thomas Morrow and General Wade Eiling.

Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Tessa Thompson are in negotiations to play Sarah Charles.

Javier Bardem, Jackie Earle Haley, Frances McDormand, Joel Edgerton, Rosamund Pike, Bill Nighy and Willem Dafoe have also been approached and/or are in discussions for undisclosed roles.

AQUAMAN will feature Ocean Master and the Trench. Black Manta is not slated to appear at this point.

THE FLASH will feature the Reverse-Flash, but it's a "new twist" that producers are confident will set it apart from the TV show.

Shawn Levy is the frontrunner to direct SHAZAM.

Matt Reeves, Duncan Jones and Rian Johnson have been approached about GREEN LANTERN CORPS.

CYBORG is still in the backburner until JUSTICE LEAGUE provides feedback on the public's reception of Cyborg. If it happens, it'll have a black director.

Ben Affleck is still reluctant to direct the new BATMAN movie, but he's writing it. It'll definitely include Jared Leto's Joker.

SUICIDE SQUAD 2 is likely to happen in 2018/2019 judging by early reactions.

WONDER WOMAN features Ares and Circe.

SHAZAM will obviously feature Black Adam.

CYBORG and GREEN LANTERN CORPS don't have defined villains yet.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS will be centered on Hal Jordan and John Stewart.

There are plans for Doomsday to return.

George Miller is producing JUSTICE LEAGUE, but hasn't decided whether he wants to direct a DC movie or not.

DARK UNIVERSE is pretty much dead.

BLUE & GOLD is an infant project, and won't come out earlier than 2019.

DEATHSTROKE, BIRDS OF PREY and LEGION OF SUPERHEROES movies are in early development.

Batman is trying to assemble the Justice League to protect the Earth from Darkseid, while the government, represented by Amanda Waller and Wade Eiling, is trying to capture them.

Darkseid is a "force of nature", and is impending arrival is described as "apocalyptic" with biblical undertones. He's also being redesigned, though they'll try to keep his classic look in mind.

Superman's rebirth is somehow connected to Darkseid, and includes Darkseid attempting to corrupt him in some sort of astral plane. Lois will be important to this subplot.

Darkseid will have some sort of ability to force the League members to handle their own dark sides and go through psychological trials. It appears to be capacity for good remains a theme of the movie, with the League members all being shown to be dysfunctional, angry people that could have tipped over to the dark side easily if circumstances were a little different.

The focus is on the six mains and Lois. Everyone else is just minor.

• Locked thread