Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

site posted:

As a selfish audience member, if it means more Evans Cap then all his other movies can bomb for all I care.

Same. Evans Cap 5ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Where are you people getting all this industry gossip, because I want to read all of it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It's a good thing no one else is smug about comic book movies in CineD or else I don't know where this forum would end up

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
That trailer is tight as poo poo. Digging Cumberbatch's accent too!

But honestly? I think my dad is gonna love it. He's such a Doctor Strange fanboy :kimchi: Going with him to see this will be so fun.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I'm okay with a change in color scheme but one of Rita Repulsa's defining characteristics is her impressive headdress. Thing is huge and has horns on it, because she's supposed to be Pure Evil. Where is her headdress in that promo image?

Woman is a BAMF. Let her flaunt it with a crown of pure evil.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

Oh my god, they didn't want to admit that Tibet exists and risk offending the chinese. Fuckin' perfect.

From a selling perspective China is a market they can't ignore and the communists don't want anyone reminded of all the horrific poo poo they've done to Tibet.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

well maybe that money isn't worth making :colbert:

Of course it isn't. Disney doesn't care about that. Not enough to make a stand and say "gently caress you" to China.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Apocalypse trailer is extremely cool and I'm super excite.

JLaw seems like a pretty decent actress, but I don't buy her as Mystique, her voice and demeanour aren't mature enough to pull off the character. I definitely prefer the first iteration of the character.

Oh well, maybe they'll hire someone with a deeper voice next time.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I thought that Zedd and Rita's relationship was quite sweet when I was a kid :shobon:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

No god no please no

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress this stupid poo poo.

Go watch One Punch Man, you will feel better.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
how the gently caress are you people still arguing about this, STOP IT

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

What do u want to talk about?

I like making fun of Ike Perlmutter for being a rich loser with no friends, let's do that instead

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Corek posted:

Perlmutter was definitely responsible. The Sony hack revealed emails of him arguing against it:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/121981

Rich loser with no friends. Make it the Black Widow/Agent Carter buddy cop movie we've all been waiting for.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't the Russos say that since Thanos hasn't really been set up at all so far, they feel like they need to set him up entirely in Infinity War 1?

Talk about payoff for the integrated cinematic universe!

I hope they keep all the 15 second credit stingers canon

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

These suits are really ugly.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Crows Turn Off posted:

Edit: Didn't see it already mentioned above. :(

So, according to the Reddit thread, apparently these suits are helping to confirm a current rumor that in this version, Rita is the former Green Ranger gone bad and her suit is the remnant of the green suit. They re-colored one of the suits and it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/1DAZ5qe.png.

.........uuuuuuuggghhhhhhhh I hope not

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
They would probably look better with less lines and with actual belts instead of...navel...decorations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So Tony Stark and Captain America are also deranged? They kill a lot of people.

It's only deranged when DC heroes kill people, because that makes people feel bad about themselves. When Marvel heroes kill people we giggle and clap, and that makes it okay.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Wait are we somehow looping around to arguing that Batman's actions in the first half of BvS are completely rational things that a non totally insane person would do?

My point is that Batman's actions are crazy but that Captain America and Iron Man are also kinda nuts for carrying on the way they do, and that the divide is not as big as people think.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Ok, that reading of the superhero genre is fine but it doesn't have much to do with my post about Civil War, which again gives Tony and Cap reasonably sane reasons for being in conflict, whereas BvS is rather explicit about Batman's mental illness being a major driver of his conflict with Superman.

Are you trying to imply that Tony Stark is not mentally ill and that he doesn't have huge psychological issues driving him? Are you trying to imply that Cap doesn't have significant issues that drive him to do things like hiding the true nature of the deaths of Howard and Maria Stark, a lie that drives Tony to try and kill Bucky? Just because their reasons for opposing each other are good doesn't mean that they don't have severe mental problems driving that reasoning. Tony is driven by guilt over Sokovia and that he got a face put to the consequences of his conflict. Cap literally cannot function if Bucky is in danger. Those are not sane reasons for doing anything and yet they were present.

Like, dude, dysfunction is the name of the game in superhero media.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I don't agree. I don't really have an argument against it, I just fundamentally do not believe this. It just goes against what I believe in when it comes to my personal art. I just don't like making bad things, if I can help it.

How do you cope with the existence of works like Watchmen or Hamlet?

I'm not trying to be cruel, I'm just raising my eyebrows at the idea that tragedy is anathema to art.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Watchmen and Hamlet are pretty great and I don't have to suffer through poor storytelling to find something in it.

What are the hallmarks of good story telling? (At least in regards to our current movie topic.)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

For me, it's a couple of things. Character drives story, as well as having the story flow in a natural way. Natural could mean a lot of things, I don't to really nail that down to a specific thing. Watchmen doesn't flow quite as neatly as say, Raiders of the Lost Arc, but nothing in Watchmen feels like it's unnatural to the story at hand with the characters and their lives.

Tell me how dumb I am now.

Why would I call you dumb? I like character driven stories too.

I'm trying to understand why you didn't like the BvS movie, I haven't gotten much out of your posts besides "well I didn't like it," which is too broad and then "well it didn't make me feel good" which I don't really understand. So I'm trying to get to the bottom of why.

Because when I saw the movie I was surprised at just how character driven it was, that the characters were consistent (which is hard to pull off in any movie) and that their actions made sense for the arcs presented within the movie. Those characters were larger than life but they are still incredibly human and I managed to connect with them quite easily.

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's a difference between works which are emotionally trying because bad things happen, and works which are intellectually trying because the storytelling is less than straightforward. It's the difference between Hamlet and Ulysses.

Of course the latter is a legitimate style. It's a matter of debate what's good, deliberately obfuscated storytelling and what's just clumsy.

I still haven't seen BvS so I can't say for sure which category it falls into (or whether it's difficult to follow at all) but it's a different thing from a movie being dark or depressing. (Ulysses isn't especially grim.)

BvS is a tragedy. That's really all there is to it. It ends with bodies everywhere. The plot only gets obscure because so much is happening, I think if it was a little less packed or else had fewer cuts, it would be easier to follow. But I still managed just fine and I was in the front row, I could barely see anything hahaha.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is there a reason Marvel isn't doing everything in their power to get Brad Bird to direct a Marvel movie?

Someone posted previously about the possibility that Marvel's micromanagement has driven away the real talent, which means they're stuck with what they've got. Not to drag the Russos, they're good at what they do, but that's probably why.

I mean, for God's sake. Edgar Wright was on their team and they still hosed that up.

So no, Brad Bird probably isn't jumping on with Marvel.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

crosspost

the shadowy cabal of executives bent on ruining the innocent hearts of comic book nerds around the world is growing
If only they'd made Galactus a giant purple man the film would've been saved

"Some call me...Tom?"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, peak human in the MCU Black Widow, Hawkeye, Melinda May, etc...

Cap is the only perfect super soldier ever.

Bucky, Red Skull, the other Winter Soldiers and onwards are made with some form of flawed serum.

And also because they don't have his moral fiber, or something.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Wasn't it a joke in X-Men 2 that Scott played N'Sync music in his car? That was like 2003.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Bucky says "I'm not killing anybody" and then immedietely rams a man through a wall with a cinder block, and then continues to murder like 6 more people.

Bucky and Steve attended the Daredevil "scream at other people for killing criminals and then throw a man head first over a 6 story railing" school of fighting.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some backroom dealing for good reviews, but critics don't have the power they once had. Paying for good reviews doesn't sound like a worthwhile investment.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Sebastian Stan is a pretty attractive guy when he smiles. Bucky doesn't have much occasion to smile though.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

That's a weird thing to still be mad about.

Lol wut? People got mad about JFK being a mutant?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Tiberius Christ posted:

Well Zach Snyder did direct a couple superman movies that's basically loving around with nerd religious icons and any radically different treatment on them is going to send the fanatics into a frenzy.

It's the classic case of audiences getting upset because the movie on the screen doesn't match the movie in their heads.

I don't love everything Snyder does but everything he does do is vibrantly different from whatever the current fashion is. He's completely willing to put what's in his head on the screen and he doesn't let anyone push him around. I really respect that.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Do we know anything about Spider Man: Homecoming besides RDJ being in it?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Electromax posted:

Feige said that The Wall is going to be the main villain, IIRC.

I'm definitely seeing this cinematic masterpiece

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

I'm okay with this all in all.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

Isn't the American banking system rigged in such a way your credit score is actually better if you get a loan?

Much of the American economy runs on the basis that everyone is in debt to each other. Finances are such that if a large enough chunk of people start being responsible with their money than money stops changing hands between banks, lenders, and debt collectors, which could cause a significant market crash.

On the other hand, all shell games have an expiration date, and sooner or later no one can repay what they owe, which is how the financial crisis of 2008 happened, and the money stopped changing hands anyway.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Scyantific posted:

So uh, Joe Quesada mentioned on Kevin Smith's podcast that Marvel has the rights to Namor the Sub-Mariner

Can't wait for these panels to be immortalized on screen

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

quote:

"Well, first of all she'd be turning over in her grave," Atwell said, with a grin. "She'd be like 'no.' And she'd inject herself with the blue serum and become a super villain. She'd break out of her coffin and ground [Sharon]. She'd ground her. Then she'd kick Steve's rear end as well."

Atwell continued "I just feel that, you know - I wouldn't want to date my great aunt's guy. It just feels like it crosses an incestuous boundary. And Peggy just died. That's even more disrespectful, right? It's like, 'don't touch that."' You can't tap that!"

Finally, someone said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I am looking forward to Justice League. I am also looking forward to a great deal of handwringing about how Zack Snyder is the superhero anti-Christ and ruining All The Movies.

• Locked thread