Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

As I've said before, I'm pretty sure that most of the NOT MY BATMAN crowd latch onto what they feel are incongruous details (like batmurder) in an attempt to try and explain why they were unhappy with the film and they're not actually capable of articulating an objective critique because they're basing their criticism on their emotional reaction to the film. Most of the general public outside of CD base their opinions on films almost purely on their emotions so they're usually quite willing to accept plot holes and incongruous details if they liked the film, whereas they'll be hyper critical of those same elements if they disliked the film. Pointing out that the 'no kill' rule hasn't applied for decades won't change their minds because it doesn't actually address the issues they had with the film. Pointing out that Rey wasn't any more of a Mary Sue than Luke won't change people's minds about TFA. Etc etc..

If BvS ended on a less ambiguously upbeat tone and the general audience walked out thinking that Batman and Superman had been cool and awesome in the film then they wouldn't have given a flying gently caress about Batman killing Lex's goons. Many Batfans would have gone into the movie expecting an escapism action/adventure power fantasy experience and weren't prepared for a film that explored actual characters attempting to deal with the traumas associated with superheroism.

The last big Batman movie trilogy made the "No Kill rule" a big plot point. It's understandable that people would notice the difference and not like it.

It's been my experience that most people when asked if they liked a movie will state their opinion and a short statement why. Not because they are incapable of articulating an objective critique but that is not what the person asking is interested in listening to or maybe they are not interested in making one. Comic book movie's aren't serious business to everyone.

Didn't Dark Knight end on a downer with Batman being chased by the police and the Nolan Trilogy explore a messed up Batman? And Burton's Batman, Keaton was pretty messed up and I might be remembering it wrong but I think Batman Returns ended on a downer too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

cvnvcnv posted:

:psyboom:

Wait, so you casually ask people if they liked a movie, they respond appropriately with a cogent, succinct piece of information to accompany that answer, and that sends you into an internal dialogue about wether or not that person is mentally capable of discussing the deep, thematic meaning of cars exploding during THE AVENGERS? Okay, this checks out.

Did you read the post I was responding too because that's what he was saying? People are incapable of explaining why they don't like something so they say something like "I didn't like Batman killing" or "The exploding cars in Avengers". That was what the post I was responding to was saying.

So I guess we agree, just because someone doesn't go into detail why they don't like a movie doesn't mean they are incapable of doing so. It just means they don't give a poo poo.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wasn't talking about casual watercooler conversation, I was talking about detailed conversation like we have here

How is it different? Not everyone is going to want to engage in detailed critique of every movie even in here. Sometimes you just don't give a poo poo.

Again that doesn't make you incapable of doing so.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Didn't Zod throw a Gas Truck at Superman that he dodged and allowed to hit a building behind him and explode at the start of that fight?

Superman not caring about collateral damage seems like a fair reading from the movie. Not the only reading sure but it's not crazy trolling if you watch the movie and think that.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Do you assume someone can't catch things harmlessly if you don't see it demonstrated?

Doesn't he catch Lois?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

MrJacobs posted:

by accelerating to the same speed she was during a drop, then decelerating at a Christopher Reeve pace. But no he didn't "catch" her like a softball, like what was being debated.

So he's able to accelerate at the exact rate of someone falling from a plane and decelerate at a safe speed so Lois is not harmed at all seems like he could use those same abilities to catch a truck if he wanted too.

Come on guys and you do realize the real reason he didn't catch the Truck is that Snyder wanted to have a big explosion.

And my point was thinking Superman doesn't care about collateral damage is a read you can come up with from watching the movie. It's not some crazy made up thing you can watch the movie and think that.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Yeah he saves a soldier and the general and then throws a guy into a train yard that explodes.

Wasn't this fight started by Superman flying Zod into the middle of Smallvile since he was threatening his mom too? I could be wrong.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ah, this makes sense. Because I can throw a 10 pound medicine ball over my head and catch it safely I could also do the same with a couple of 45 pound plates held together by chains. Solid analysis.

Man he's freaking Superman you guys are the one saying catching a truck was impossible come on.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

so again this all comes back to coming into the movie already with expectations on what superman is and is not allowed to be and acting incredulous when the movie doesn't align with an argeement it never made in the first place

So Superman destroys a massive World Engine that was threatening all human life on the opposite side of the world. Fly's to Metropolis in time to save Lois falling from an airplane.

But you believe catching a Truck is impossible for him?

That's what is being argued in this thread. Again all I'm saying is thinking Superman doesn't care about collateral damage is something you can take away from the movie.

axelord fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He was super psyched about BvS and thought it was great, and then devastated that people hated it.

It's ok Ben, I liked it. And you know what Ben, I liked Paycheck. There's a bonus just from me

Part of his job as an actor in BvS was to help sell the movie. We really don't know how he feels about the movie or working with Snyder and WB or if he was devastated that people hated it.

If he's not going to be in the Batman movie WB probably wouldn't want to release that info before JL comes out. My guess after JL comes out he's out officially.

• Locked thread