Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I guess I'll concede to consensus, I just read it differently is all given there's not even slight acknowledgement of his being saved after Superman was red-eyed and wanting to kill Lex earlier. Feels like we'd get a one second reaction shot of Lex realizing what had just happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Lots of great information and perspectives here. I've been processing the film for less than 24 hours and am not very knowledgeable about Superman and his cast so this is all really helpful, thanks :)

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Davros1 posted:

I think Superman saying "Save my mother" would have been more powerful than "Save Martha". The whole film sets up Bats not being able to see anything other than Superman's alien nature. Having Superman, in his moment of death pleading with Batman, not to spare him, but save his mother instead, would have been just as effective, narrative wise, at snapping Bats out of her murder rage. He would see Superman, for the first time, as not someone alien, but as someone human, who has a mother that he holds above his own existence. Batman wasn't able to save his own mother, but now he could save someone else's.

Batman doesn't care that Superman has a nameless, faceless mother, the same he mocked a moment before, along with whatever confidences she and Jonathan tried to impart on him. It's the direct connection to Bruce's first trauma that he was once living out again right there that penetrated his tyrannical tunnel vision.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

Who talks like that?
Not everyone goes thru life clinging to the vernacular of an infant, especially as an adult talking to another adult about yet another adult when these people don't even know each other. It's also highly reductive to call people by what they are as opposed to who they are. There are times and places for both ways, and it didn't seem out of place at all to me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Batman didn't view Superman as a human, let alone consider he would have human parents. A cry for mommy would have made Batman think "Good. I'm glad they're killing Glorpella."
Lol, yep.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Terrible Horse posted:

I mean, just saying "Martha" doesn't give Bats much either. The Ultimate edition improves basically every other area, but the Bats v Supes scene itself still feels clunky and dumb to me. Clark says something like "Bruce, you don't understand. There's no time" then shoves Bats 60 feet. He basically makes no effort to explain things; why would he not say "Luthor has my mom as a hostage, he's pitting us against each other so he can do some other hosed up poo poo while we're busy"? It felt too much like a sitcom or romcom where an easily resolved misunderstanding goes on and on to manufacture conflict and move the plot artificially.

When Clark visits Lois the moment before he flies to confront Bruce, he genuinely has no idea what he's going to do.

"Lois. I have to go to Gotham to convince him to help me."
"Who?"
"Or he has to die."
"Clark..."
"No one stays good in this world."

He arrives and begins to speak, is interrupted by Batman's lines of offense/defense, and that uncertainty takes over and he attempts to toss Batman around until he submits, or worse if he refuses to yield at all, which firmly guarantees Bruce won't listen as it's the same bully tactic Superman took when he ripped the Batmobile doors off and proclaimed the Bat is dead.

Truth is, Bruce may not have listened or heard a word of it, but Clark insisted on advancing from the very start. If he had stood still, not threatened Bruce by his physical advance, he could have spoken freely and expressed his truths. They both were wrong and that is why the violence began instantly.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

I think "You're not brave, men are brave" might be my favorite line in the movie.

Yeah, that was exceptional, a perfect encapsulation of everything that was happening from his taking every blow to Superman's "Oh, gently caress me" face at the blocked punch.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I think Cavill slimmed down a bit for The Man From UNCLE but he was still pretty big in that too.

I wish I could rent that movie anywhere too, it's just options to buy. :argh:

It's on HBO. Get Now for a month? Cheaper than buying plus lots of other ish.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Oasx posted:

I just watched The Dark Knight for the first time and i don't really understand what the big deal is. It looks and sounds like a direct to dvd movie, and as expected Heath Ledger didn't magically become a good actor for this one movie.

It's a 6/10 movie, yes, but elevated by Ledger who was 10/10, best thing about it. Sadly that trilogy got worse with each entry.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

computer parts posted:

TDK is actually the worst of that trilogy.
You know what, I'll go ahead and agree just because I was just trying to think of the character arcs in it and can recall only Dent while TDKR had one for pretty much everyone.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the fact that we got a really well-done animated series of The Maxx is one of the weirdest and best relics of the '90s.

Amen.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Frank Castle was. That was one of the funniest moments of Daredevil to me: Karen getting relationship advice from the goddamn Punisher of all people.

He had a healthy, happy family spawned from his successful marriage. Why is it funny?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Occasionally I check reviews, if I don't know enough about something to determine if I want to see it or not. But high scores and praise mean far, far less to me than good review or bad, for there to be passion behind it. An extremely divisive 50% is exceedingly more attractive to me than universal faint praise. So long as a very quick skim reveals reactions being had, good to go.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

greatn posted:

Shouldn't be loving playing with grenades indoors.

Shouldn't be loving playing criminal when there's a man who is going to come in and stop you by whatever means prevent you from murdering him in the process.

Thinking Batman should throw every single punch uniquely based on the fragility of who is going to be hit is psychotic as it inherently implies the lives of criminals are more valuable than those of others as they're going to be bad, can't and shouldn't do anything about that if if jeopardizes their life, yet the good guys should only be permitted to live or die chained to moral limitations.

Seems to me Batman is simply too strong a character for some particularly weak members of the audience.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Comic book illiteracy: Bruce Wayne is straight up like "Alfred I want to gently caress the Joker in the mouth with a loaded handgun" and the only part that you object to here is that a serial killer might die. Like, not the rape aspect; that part's ok.

Interesting. Tell me, what are your thoughts on eating with others? People sitting in a circle, face-loving themselves and letting out moans and cries of pleasure while staring at each other do the same, even encouraging each other to try their flavor insertable. So, when someone asks you out to eat their really attempting to lure you into a exposed position so that they may literally look into one of your holes as you do stuff to it, as means of giving themselves pleasure. If you protest, the molesters will explain your lack of control. "C'mon, it'll be fun." "You have to eat sooner or later, let's just go now." You force a no, you may shamed for spurning their attempts at gaining intimacy with you, essentially a form of victim blaming.

Pls respond

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

All that to say you think sticking a gun in someone's mouth is the same as eating. Amazing.

Utterly incorrect and inaccurate. My intention is to suss out wether a gun can be just a gun, a cigar a cigar, etc.

A gun because it's final, in the mouth because at that point the struggle has concluded. Not because it's a penis, and rape?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

KVeezy3 posted:

I'm not sure of many shooting events that play out by sticking a gun in someone's mouth.

There's no ducking, dodging, or getting away. Inescapable finality with nothing left to chance.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I still can't believe that Days of Future Past (a good movie) and Apocalypse have the same director.

X1 and X2 were nowhere near as good as people claim. Singer is bad.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I thought Genisys was pretty good, once I moved past my preconceived notions and Khalisee's bad casting.

I thought it quite good for taking the series' own bait and going with a time travel yarn that is turtles all the way down, creating a plot that is simultaneously serious, utterly self-aware of how asinine it is, and a fun celebration of being able to do anything they want, like turn John into a terminator then kill him and inadvertently make Arnold an amalgamation of terminators. That said, it's remarkably ugly to look at and I couldn't wrap my head around why Kyle was such a pill, but the big picture was a quality one.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

I know what Linda Hamilton did was a little extreme

:ohdear: She got in shape enough to show tone, and was capable of pull-ups :ohdear:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Snyder doesnt believe in gym weights.
He believes in bench pressing his kids.

So he just keeps adding kids to the mix to increase the weight. Makes complete sense.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Cave paintings: good art or bad art?
Amateurish.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Soggy Cereal posted:

The Martha scene is weird to me because normally a person wouldn't say "they're going to kill Martha," he would say "my mom" or "my mother." Which might even have more of an influence on Batman than a name coincidence. It works fine as a story beat, but that part of the dialogue is odd. How is Batman supposed to know who that is, if Lois didn't run in at that exact moment?
By being a detective. I'll tell you this, Batman would have immediately shanked Superman if Supes started blubbering about his mama. I mean, I get it, a huge portion of the audience of this movie had no idea before watching that their own parents have names but the violent shock of that discovery should not lead you to want a movie where Superman cries about his ~mommy~ being in danger.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Throwdown posted:

I don't find the Martha scene as weird as the fact that Superman suddenly resorting to ripping Batman a new one at the beginning of the fight, he could have taken a few more seconds to talk before knocking Batman 30 feet away and throwing him through a building.
Superman was admittedly unsure of what he would do, as he told Lois just before meeting Batman. Superman in his continuing hubris thinks a show of power will get Batman to refrain, that he would be susceptible to bullying, which is where it all went wrong. Superman wasn't right and Batman wrong- they were both wrong, Batman for becoming the assailant for a sense of powerlessness and Superman for his continuing false superiority, behaving in a manner that his means are justified for his good intentions, solidifying Batman's view of him as a wayward superpower in need of eradication.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Wolverine's been kid-friendly for almost his entire publication history, there's been like three Saturday-morning cartoons about him.

Even so, he represents a bestial and transgressive nature that differentiates him as being something darker even if his depiction omits those things.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The MSJ posted:

In the comic books, the claws were removed from her before fortified with adamantium and then reinserted into her limbs. She escaped before the rest of her skeleton was modified.

I thought they were waiting so she could finish growing but either way, correct answer.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Phylodox posted:

What do you think the "J" in "Nicholas J. Fury" stands for?

Jules.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

GoTG is the best Marcel movie.

The best Marcel movie is actually OUTBREAK 2: THE VIRUS TAKES MANHATTAN :colbert:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

just let Peter Chung or somebody take the helm.

:swoon: at DC via Chung.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

It's like, they're pushing this movie as an action-comedy but the editing in the trailer is just so obvious. It's jarring. I don't know why they can't just let the footage speak for itself, it has me thinking the movie isn't good and they're flailing to find an audience. Seriously, funny jokes? That's a little too on the nose. Movie is gonna be poo poo.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Guy on the right hanging with a space witch, I get it. Guy on the left hanging with anyone at all, I'm going to want to know a bit more about his who, what, where, etc. Long form of a television show, anthropomorphizing a character like that permits them to be a character but in a movie introducing the entire reimagined world and mythos, simplifying him makes perfect sense.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

If you watch Burton's career, RETURNS is where he finally had enough clout to make things Burtony. It's the precise moment in time he fell into his black and white pinwheel bullshit that was so campy that the guy who came right after him was correct of his assessment of where the series was going. It's also what killed Batman for Keaton.

Awful movie with a couple good ideas.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 2, 2017

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Then again, I still don't like Citizen Kane, so...
Comedies are divisive like that.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

but if the got the nom for Croc, Enchantress

It was nominated for Harley and Joker and no one else.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I don't actually want an answer, I just wanted to point out how bad the animation is.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Gatts posted:

Are we supposed to expect Legos to be able to move like flesh and blood real world people? Let's discuss the tactical realism of that.
Or maybe discuss the need for "tactical realism" in a depiction of an imagination based toy.

CelticPredator posted:

It's supposed to look like stop motion.
It looks as though someone is flickering the lights on and off thru it. It looks epileptic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

• Locked thread