Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AngryBooch posted:

Emotional Horror Movie is the new Political Thriller.

No Nigh Unbearable Tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Was it nigh? I forgot. That post was funny though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Avi Arad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess this movie isn't for me then apperently.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just didn't find Superman very heroic. I kind of disliked the guy, and he never won me over. I think they over played the alien angle way too much for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak posted:

Man of Steel doesn't show a pile of corpses either, you basically have to assume it based on the damage to the buildings, though obviously Man of Steel goes further in that regard.

They literally show thousands of people being crushed to death by the force of the terraformer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

maybe not thousands, but a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wukyrxavkJo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Brother Entropy posted:

I don't think the snarky action cliche is egregious by itself so much as the idea in superhero fandom that it's the default way to do superhero movies and a movie that eschews it is a grimdark failure. It feels like part of a larger trend of modern American pop culture where everything has to have layers of humor or irony to protect us from letting a piece of media invoke genuine emotion in its audience

(this is also probably a major reason I loved the newest Godzilla so much, it did such a fantastic job of evoking awe and powerlessness)

It did, but it's not a completely joyless experience. While most of the film is fairly dark and forbidding, they still managed to have a super fun, crowed pleasing monster rumble that completely makes the experience worth it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Brother Entropy posted:

MoS did this too, the monsters just weren't as big

If that was a fun fight to you, then more power to ya. It was just way to stressful for me. It also gave me a headache. I wanted to leave.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burkion posted:

So are they just not allowed to talk about Civil War in actual movie terms?

Like, do they have to only compare it to other things?

When you're pitching an idea, you usually use other films as a basis for understanding the rough tone their going for.

Instead of saying "It's a dark, psychological story" they say "It's like Seven" and your mind immediately understands what that means. But I don't think Civil War is going to be like Seven, at all. But I digress.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ice Cube as JJJ would be fuckin sick. I love that idea.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Makes me want to watch Spring Breakers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TetsuoTW posted:

I kind of wish we'd been able to get the scene from the Deadpool script where he makes his first mask by turning a Spider-man mask inside out.

Same here. I loved that bit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Comic books are not fun.

Iron Man is not a fun movie.

Oh I beg to differ mother fucker. I beg to differ.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did this super quick and I'm sure it has a hosed up histogram or it's over contrasted whatever...but as a quick thing does this make the shot look better? Or at least a little more visually interesting than a boring grey sky over a boring grey location?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Remember how the latest Captain America movie ended with him bloodied and repeatedly struck in the face with a metal fist, allowing himself to be beaten to death by a robot sporting the face of his dead best friend?

Good times.

Sometimes movies have dramatic moments.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LesterGroans posted:

Needs more neon window blinds.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And then he smacks a flamboyant god around like a ragdoll.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jokes are fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do too. I'm having a blast.

Although, I think once Black Panther comes out, I might be drained. But hey. I'm ridin this train until it starts to smell! Woooo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bane does sound goofy and that's why he's great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Love this moment.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They just released a supercut that shows the "Road to Civil War" and gives a quick recap of Cap and Tony's evolution. Includes the Netflix shows and Agents of Shield's civil war tie-ins if you don't watch those shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=682_yjauxso

God awful sound mixing in this video.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe people just like seeing superheroes fight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

double post :tinfoil:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

computer parts posted:

The birthing matrix Clark destroyed was empty, and even it wasn't that's "killing children" in the same way Planned Parenthood does.

The bus scene.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well, maybe not now. But in a few years he could be the next Eragon dude.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Unless I missed it, I seem to be clean. So that makes me the rightest about movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just found Clark's/Kal's character to be inconsistent which made me feel real uncomfortable.

He never has that "HERO!" moment. He saves people in the first half, but that's shoved between him spitefully destroying people's property and just kind of being cold and alien. (Oh I get that's probably the point but i fuckin don't like it one bit)

I just don't like him as a character. I realized this the moment he got his suit and started flying. None of that landed for me. I've watched the drat thing like 5 times. I just really kind of hate it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

!
!!!!

I gave it chances because I'm not a monster. Movie doesn't work for me. And it never will. Here's hoping Batman V Superman is good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

McSpanky posted:

If you give something five chances with weighted dice, don't be surprised when it keeps coming up snake eyes.

I have my bias' of course. But I did genuinely try to enjoy it. I will say, I did come away with the fact that the visuals aren't quite as grey and muted as I originally thought. But the movie is just totally not my thing at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Okay.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've probably seen Alien over a hundred times at this point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darko posted:

Yeah, I've had the BvS score on repeat for days at this point.

I gotta get on this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah, my essay probably would be terrible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Someone said Danny McBride.

I don't know who Lobo is, but I would care more about that movie if Danny McBride was in it. Kinda how I feel about most things.

I care very much that there's a new Alien movie on the way. But I care even more that Danny McBride is in it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Killing Zod is a good scene, but I wish there was another scene that really tested the "kill/don't kill" argument earlier. Just to give it more of a pay off at the end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bonding over toys is good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

soapgish posted:

It made me feel like I was incessantly blinking, or the filmmakers were maliciously trying to induce seizures in people. Get it?! The blocks are blocky and so the animation is too!! Not good. By that logic the movie should have been five hours long because the people making the decisions are slow.

It's supposed to look like Stop Motion. Which is what every kid with a video camera does with their Lego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqEmpik8Z8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I learned how to shoot and edit movies thanks to corporate plastic products. Toys are special and important. They help children grow (or not).

• Locked thread