Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Best Jesus is a good casting choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I really hope the ending credit song for Age of Apocalypse is Walk Like An Egyptian.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Darko posted:

I was hoping for some Yes or Savage Garden personally.

Charles Xavier accepts his fate. Roundabout starts playing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I want to listen to that album.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If they get rid of James Wan on Aquaman I'll be very sad.

:smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wheeee posted:

They should have been respectful of the original material when making their casting decision.

Actually, Big Trouble In Little China has an almost completely Asian cast, making it one of the worst examples to use.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

It also owns incredibly hard

Yes. It's loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssIuI7PYU90

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'd love to see those old racist stereotypes redone better. Charlie Chan was originally created as a counter to the Yellow Peril stereotype, and there's a lot of potential for a good movie about a chinese-american detective in 1920s Hawaii. As horribly racist as the old novels were, Fu Manchu's backstory is that he took part in the Boxer Rebellion and wants revenge on western imperialism: I'm kind of on his side there!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

More stuff about Big Trouble in Little China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j1hZFJVroE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It looks pretty different from the books though.

The Superintendent of the Space-Time Services only shows up a handful of times in the comics, and here's how he looked in one of his last appearances in Spectres of Inverloch (he's the Lobot-looking dude with sunglasses).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

He's apparently Commander Arün Filitt :shrug:

Here's the image that accompanied Besson's announcement of the casting:

https://twitter.com/lucbesson/status/634119508437790720

That's the Ambassador from Ambassador of Shadows.

Which is a book where Valerian gets kidnapped (along with the Ambassador) and Laureline is the hero of the story. Which describes like half the books, come to think of it (Laurleine owns).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

Yeah. I've posted s few shots of various "delegation" parties in this thread as well... so there's that. Valerian's likely gonna be a mash of a couple albums at most though, if not an entirely new story. I was just noting that Clive Owen wasn't supposed to be the Superintendent, as far as I'm aware. :shobon:

Really though, this has been my most anticipated film since before it was officially confirmed - hoping for good things, and the images I've seen thus far are encouraging, when it comes to that Fifth Element Besson flair.

Yeah, the title itself is a weird mash-up of City of Moving Waters and Empire of a Thousand Planets, either of which would have made good movies (imagine flooded New York, maybe with a John Carpenter-style soundtrack), but the pictures seem like they're referencing Ambassador of Shadows. Laureline probably won't be from the 11th century anymore. Anyway, I'm going let the movie be it's thing instead of a straigth adaptation of the comics, I'm just geeking out because these were part of my childhood.

Also Luc still hasn't shown the Shingouz and they're my favorite. :argh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There were other wars as bad as WWI before. None of them were global like WWI was.

A good argument could be made that WWI was more global than WWII.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There's also the Armenian Genocide.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Maybe Dracula will be helping the Kaiser like in The Bloody Red Baron.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gyges posted:

Only if you're just counting the strict involvement of American troops. Otherwise WWI is very much worse than the Civil War. The Civil War gave hints as to the horrors to come with the beginnings of trench warfare, the introduction of multi-cartridge rifles, near invention of the concentration camp

Actually, american concentration camps for native americans had existed for a while.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It turns out the CIA are Nazis.

Just like in the real world.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

McSpanky posted:

And just like in the real world, when CIA operatives were outed as Nazis they quietly disappeared into new lives instead of being brought to account for their actions.

Yes, I'm saying Nick Fury is Klaus Barbie.

Checks out.

Seriously gently caress the CIA.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah I'm sure most of the cool poo poo from Blade is just impromptu Wesley. Like that line and that time he wouldn't open his eyes

Too bad he looks kinda rough now after all those years and legal issues, would've loved a Nick Cage/Snipes team up Marvel feature. Bring back Neveldine/Taylor and you're gold

Oh man, now I'm sad we do not live in that timeline.

Blade & Ghost Rider: Hellbound

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

If Marvel has the film rights to Blade, I might actually ejaculate in the theater if Snipes as Blade shows up in Infinity War 1/2 The Next Great Movies in the Avengers Franchise.

The only thing I want more in Marvel movies than SnipesBlade and CageRider is for Spiderman to summon his giant robot Leopardon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

I wonder, if it is a big hit, what will the next X-Men be about? They've done DoFP, this is Apocalypse, what other big arcs are left? Will they try and dip into Morrison's run, or go back to the late 70s space opera stuff with the Shiar, or that Legacy business, or what?

There's always Dracula: iirc he turned Jubilee into a mutant vampire in the comics.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Iron Man 1's final fight is one of the very few superhero battle that has actual strategy in it (the freezing problem, sabotaging the enemy suit, etc.) Most superhero movies have really boring fights where they just punch each other or blast each other boringly.

Ant Man is probably top tier in fight choreography and cool/creative usage of power.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'd actually rank Iron Man 2 as the second-best Marvel film. In retrospect, its utter shameless idiocy gives it an ersatz Michael Bay quality.

Like, any film that can make it to the bottom of multiple lists that praise Avengers 1 must be doing something right. The race car scene is, at least, the only great superhero fight in the entire MCU.

I'm sorry, but the Ant-Man vs Falcon and Ant-Man vs Yellowjacket fights are pretty great too.

Thor 2 Portalfight is also up there (only thing I remember from that movie).

Can't think of another one I'd put next to them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

In my dreams, the Coen Brothers make a Foucault's Pendulum movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Fun Fact: I regularly visit the subway station where Frank's hidden base is located near in War Zone. It's the Lionel Groulx metro station in Montreal. Also, they filmed some scenes in the awesome abandoned building on my old college campus, Britain Hall. Used to sneak in there all the time, it's like a horror movie set.

Hahaha, I used to work in that area. I need to watch that movie now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I saw Civil War and I liked it well enough, but I realized I've got the same problem with it as I did with Winter Soldier: they should have gone full Metal Gear.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Just compare and contrast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E486XjhYHh8

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

A Kojima-directed Marvel movie would be insanely epic

I'd be down for a Captain America 4 directed by Kojima.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGxUkubKjg

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Still hoping for Bruce Campbell as Mysterio one of these days.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jonny_Rocket posted:

It deserves it, it was a great game

I think I'm going to replay it. Again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Aww gently caress. Hopefully he won't have anything to do with Aquaman.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You know what would be cool (but will never happen)? If one of the Ultron survived and managed to de-crazy itself and become what it really wanted to be instead of what it'S broken brain made it.

This could even be the origin story of Jocasta or another of the robots created by Ultron

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Geoff Johns has written a ton of great comics, including some very good Green Lantern stories. When I heard he was attached to the Green Lantern movie I was very glad because in my opinion they couldn't have picked a better guy. So what the gently caress happened?

Also, running zombies was the coolest thing to come out of the zombie genre since... well, ever, really. Was Snyder really the first to do fast zombies? Either way the Dawn of the Dead remake is my favorite zombie movie and has been since I first saw it. Day of the Dead remake was absolute garbage. gently caress you, Nick Cannon. You loving suck.

I find Geoff Johns comic go from terrible to merely mediocre.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Now I'm going to be super disappointed when the movie isn't an 80s teen comedy set in mutant high school.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So, the last week I've been watching "gritty crime dramas/thrillers", stuff like A Walk Among the Tombstones or Seven or whatever. And the thought once again appeared in my mind that they really need to make a The Question movie in that style. Or maybe a full neo-noir take on Sandman Mystery Theatre. They'd be different, you could do them on a lower budget so that they needed less money to be successful and since he'll say yes to anything they could even get Liam Neeson.

I always loved the weirder, more obscure comics in DC's library and I think they'd work pretty well as movies. Just not superhero movies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

This is like Shadowrun, except none of us turned into elves or orcs.

We are living in a sci-fi dystopia.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Continuity is a lie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Elfgames posted:

I don't care what color he is but i wanted to see a dude with ten magical rings fight iron man.

Also a Space Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

X-Men Apocalypse should have been a stealth adaptation of Stardust Crusaders.

• Locked thread