Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Valiant comics have a 5 picture deal with Sony.

That is interesting, I read a few Bloodshot comics back in the 90s. The recent rebooted comic looked a bit generically military style, where as the 90s was more generic Punisher style which I like better. I could see the John Wick guys having fun with that.

Also, Kat Dennings should be in all these movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, anyone knowledgeable enough to know that Shazam used to be called Captain Marvel is likely to be knowledgeable enough to know that he no longer is.

It is still kind of funny that they're competing head to head like that though.

Since Mighty Man, a Savage Dragon supporting character, is an homage/parody of Shazam/Captain Marvel, clearly this means a Savage Dragon film will follow. And now audiences will get that reference.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

berserker posted:

Should be a Savage Dragon movie, IMO

Hell yes! Plus if it includes popular side characters like Mako the shark gangster, we'll finally have a street shark on film.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I liked Dragon Age II, though it has some rough edges. I liked BvS, not quite as much as DAII, has it's moments, but I'd give a thumbs up. That's my story. BvS didn't let me romance a sassy pirate woman, so... tough to compare.

Batman II: Batman Romances a Pirate Woman, this is the movie for me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mordiceius posted:

Dragon Age 2 is a horrifically bad game and could be considered the video game equivalent of a war crime.

Well I guess war crimes are cool now, because that game was cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mordiceius posted:

My condolences for your terrible tastes in media.

Oooh spicy, very spicy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vintersorg posted:

So you enjoyed the what, 4 or 5 reused dungeon layouts? The watered down combat? The poo poo story?

Who gives a rat's rear end (which is probably a consumable item in your favorite RPG)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

See the first 15 minutes of Man Of Steel (or Independence Day, for that matter). The 'peace' inevitably leads to the apocalypse. Superman doesn't come to bring peace, but a sword.

Despite some imagery and Zack Snyder's film version in particular, Superman isn't very similar to Jesus. So I'm not sure what you're trying to get across with bible quotes. I know from your posts that you really enjoy imbuing these pulpy action characters with really rich and complex symbolism, but it doesn't always necessarily apply.

Superman, as he's generally written, is just a humble nice guy trying to do good. These superhero stories don't usually go so far as to having to make huge hard choices, and I do like it when they do. But even still, the various choices Superman makes over his career condradict eachother and are the whims of various editors and writers over the years. Largely though, I just don't think he's much different than say a firefighter. He's just trying to put out fires, that's about it usually.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I am not talking about how the character is generally written. I'm talking about the plot synopsis, posted above, where Brainaic is unambiguously the antichrist.

Ah, gotcha. You mentioned something about looking to the first fifteen minutes of Man of Steel for context. In that synopsis, what makes Brainiac an antichrist in particular? I guess a Braniac infused boy is a bit like Damien at least.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So what's the hold up on more creator owned superhero movies being greenlit? Or otherwise alternative ones to Marvel/DC? We had the Hellboy movies a bit before the current Marvel movie boom, where's a Savage Dragon movie? Or Invincible (by Walking Dead's Robert Kirkman). I could even see a Witchblade/Darkness movie being very cool.

Disney and WB are all in, you'd think some other companies would try to get these things going. Granted, there's a Power Rangers movie happening, that's a non-Marvel/DC superhero thingy sorta.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Crow and A History of Violence are my favorite comic book movies thus far, followed by the Nolan Batman flicks and Dredd. Also the Rurouni Kenshin live-action trilogy from a couple years ago.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

NTRabbit posted:

I really liked the first one, but felt the last two tried to cover too much story at once, and ended up having to cut or abridge a whole bunch of the most interesting characters, stories, and scenes.

I really enjoyed them, but needless to say you can't beat the anime/manga, especially for that Kyoto arc. I think they work on their own, I could see people who aren't even already Kenshin fans enjoying the movies.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hodgepodge posted:

I barely remember anything about Kenshin other than the amazing prequel OVA, which was also the first thing I watched.

Maybe you'd dig a well done movie trilogy live-action romp through Kenshin memory lane! In some ways they're the closest thing to a big budget superhero movie series Japan has had these days.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mordiceius posted:

Thor 1 & 2 are some of my favorite Marvel moves. <:mad:>

The first one owns I think, especially Anthony Hopkins ("I cast you out!"), the second one I found less memorable but passable.

NTRabbit posted:

I just watched the Luke Cage trailer, and I'm unreasonably excited already. Then I saw there'd been an earlier clip of just a fight scene, and that confirmed my suspicion that the music choices for the show are going to be awesome.

Hell yeah, well done vigilante justice stories are just good stuff. Also can't wait for that Punisher series!

And how great is it that Nicolas Cage is named after that guy. He should have a bit role in the show I say.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 13, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

JediTalentAgent posted:

I almost expect Marvel to shock us all with the Netflix series based on the Wolfpack comic and play it similar to The Warriors meets Daredevil or something.

Speaking of which, there's a comic book movie coming out based on an obscure underground 80s comic that was inspired by The Warriors. Called New York City Outlaws, and directed by the awesome Jason Eisener of Hobo With A Shotgun fame! I'm jazzed.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3401150/jason-eisener-adapting-new-york-city-outlaws/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Crion posted:

Amy Adams and Henry Cavill are perfectly fine. Christian Bale and Katie Holmes, on the other hand,

I heard she.... rattles the cages...

By the way just saw Suicide Squad. It is cheesy, doesn't always hit the mark, but it is ultimately "good enough" as Cyndi Lauper once said. It's less good than say the 2009 film GI Joe: Rise of Cobra, but it is a better yarn than Jonah Hex.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Well let's go to the graph and check that:

Okay, Jonah Hex is definitely worse than Suicide Squad but I think GI Joe: Rise of Cobra might be just behind Suicide Squad, although it's really close.

I was referring to my opinions, since I was reviewing it.

JediTalentAgent posted:

If we're lising GI Joe, would Men in Black technically count as a 'Marvel' movie, too, if only through their acquisition of Malibu.

I was just comparing movies, though all comic book movies. Oh right the graph thingy, well Hasbro owned GI Joe so it was a licensed comic, like say a Doctor Who comic from IDW. But it was a popular comic at Marvel. Speaking of IDW, they had the GI Joe license when that movie came out.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 15, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I wasn't posting the graph seriously, I thought it was hilarious that anyone took the time to plot out all those RT scores. I'd hate to think that anyone would actually try and bring up that graph as some way of ending an argument.

Ah right on. Maybe that data could be used in a CAD program to make a Marvel/DC movie shaped cookie or something cool like that.

That commercial is magical.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Cameo posted:

Why is it every time I hope one of y'all is posting the "I can't believe this is a commercial for a Batman movie" video, it's always ABC Family's commercial and not this one, literally produced by Warner Brothers to play on The WB and UPN:

https://youtu.be/y9NNIQ-F5lw

The different subtext of that "Batmobile through the waterfall" bit is some crazy poo poo on its own, that is some magical editing right there

I love that movie, but hot drat this TV spot, it is too much. I wonder if Nolan had final cut on that spot.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

WampaLord posted:

Directors have almost nothing to do with the marketing, if my understanding is correct.

I was channeling my Leslie Nielsen in Airplane deadpan, but it is pretty great to imagine Chris Nolan sitting in front of a monitor working on the editing of that Nickelback romance commercial thingy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

If Superman looks like this in the sequel or in JL I will have my rear end in a seat on opening day.

Superman: Metal Warrior of Steel, I'll buy a ticket!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also Bale's Batman is weird. It's fine on the very first viewing of whatever movie, but upon a second viewing you start to notice how garbage he is. For one, that voice sucks but oddly enough it didnt really bother me until someone pointed it out to me. Also it became impossible for me to take anything he says seriously once I noticed that he loving almost never closes his mouth. Poke some loving airholes in the nose, dumbass.

I humbly disagree, but your avatar also reminds me how I defend Solid Snake's voice too, especially his gruffer stuff in MGS4 and Peace Walker. Bale's Batman voice is over-the-top and unusual, and I love that about it. David Hayter (I love him) is over-the-top and unusual, and I love that, etc. Not that you have to like both, the comparison just came to mind.

I love the Bale take on Batman, it's definitely different. I remember when Batman Begins came out, how almost shocking it was to have growling Batman saying "SWEAR TO ME!", personally I think it's a good take.

As for BvS, I enjoy it as a kind of nutty yarn about a psychotic Batman who wants to kill Superman. But I don't think it's a very good take on Batman. I do think Affleck's performance was quite good though. What I'm really worried about is the smooth talking Bruce Wayne we see in the Justice League teaser etc, he just feels like Affleck in Oceans 11 or something. Overall I'm not quite sure about where they're going wtih Batfleck.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 17, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a great take on Batman because it cuts through the bullshit. "Civil liberties are being trampled in your city." That's Batman's legacy.

Though this is the Batman who's kind of chummy and unmasked with Amanda Waller in Suicide Squad. Granted he says he'll get his buddies to shut down the program later on. I love Dark Knight Returns, I can dig Batman being a renegade who fights Superman and the establishment etc, but that's not quite what we get in BvS. He's an unhinged maniac who wants to kill an innocent man at the drop of a hat. And for the record, I can enjoy that story for what it is, it's just not a direction I personally would pick for Batman.

But I'm also not loving the smooth wisecracking Bruce from the Justice League teaser, in general his characterization feels all over the place.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MacheteZombie posted:

It's not at the drop of a hat though, it's have 20 years of becoming jaded and disillusioned and then experiencing Metrpolis 9/11 and placing the blame on an "Other".

The 20 years and the stuff that's gone down explains him being extra cranky and menacing, a'la Dark Knight Returns for sure. But wanting to kill Superman to me felt unearned and makes him appear to be a bit of a maniac. Not to say Batman can't be a bit of a maniac, just didn't quite gel for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Joss is the boss, give him all the keys. I really would've liked to have seen his Wonder Woman movie. This one was ok though, could be better, hopefully the next one has a unique interesting story to tell. Just come up with something outside of a formula that's been done exactly several times, if some weirdo slowly gets powers throughout Wonder Woman 2 a'la Amazing Spider-Man 2, Green Lantern etc, I will lose all hope in the future of film.

For both heroes and villains, they've gotta come up with some elegant solution to the origins thing. We don't really have time to tell the origins of how all these characters got powers in real time and have time left for these movies to do something unique. Please tell me Vulture won't have something like this in the new Spider-Man film. It's almost self parody any time a movie does this to me. Maybe Keaton looks at a picture of a bird as foreshadowing early on, has a speech where he talks about birds, then his wife gets hit by an icecream truck and he loses it, slowly becomes a bird guy. Actually this is great here, but only because of Keaton. And Birdman was great.

I'd also like to add, I really enjoy the film Ghost Rider, and Jonah Hex was not as bad as people say, both Nic Cage and John Malkovich should be in some new superhero films. At least Josh Brolin is still in it, both Thanos and Cable.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 3, 2017

• Locked thread