Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Where does The Crow fit on that list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I was a long-time Savage Dragon fan, and an early days Spawn fan, but I hadn't seen those Larsen Spawn issues. What's bad about them?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Literally The Worst posted:

No no those are the good issues, because Larsen is a good enough writer. The rest of Spawn is terrible made up as you go bullshit

Oh my bad. Reading is hard. I suppose I should check them out then.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The Cameo posted:

I feel like people also forget that Snyder attracts really ridiculous talent to movies that ostensibly these people would never attach themselves to. He's very good at convincing actors to go on his crazy adventure - just as a random assortment, the man's worked with Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames, Oscar Isaac, Jon Hamm, Michael Fassbender, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Lena Headey, Hugo Weaving, Carla Gugino, Kevin Costner, Dominic West, Scott Glenn, Michael Shannon, Laurence Fishburne, Billy Crudup, Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Haley, Jena Malone, Emily Browning, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Chris Meloni, Geoffrey Rush, Sam Neill, Helen Mirren, Joel Edgerton, Jesse Eisenberg, Ben Affleck, Jeremy Irons, Ezra Miller, Holly Hunter, and now J.K. Simmons.

I mean how in the hell did he talk Holly Hunter into a role in a goddamn capeman fighting cowlman movie. I'm still astounded he talked Sarah Polley into doing a zombie movie in a time when 1) zombies were not a big thing, and 2) she was avoiding studio pictures almost purposely (she hadn't done a studio picture since Go in 1999).

Motherfucker even beat Steve McQueen to the Fassbender punch. 300 was Fassbender's first non-TV work. Like, that's a holy poo poo prescient eye for talent, especially when you realize that he's the "fight in the shade" guy who has a lot of little star moments sprinkled throughout the film. He gave Oscar Isaac a juicy villain role when the only two people prior had seen anything in him were Ridley Scott and Catherine Hardwicke (and God drat, does Isaac relish playing Blue. He has a loving BALL filling in that character).

And he talked Affleck into playing Batman. That's clearly on the "worked out well" side of things.

Plus he clearly has made the right choice with Gadot being Wonder Woman, based off critical reception to her.

WB might just stick with him because he gives the studio access to people who would probably say no otherwise, no matter what insanity he tells them they're about to do.

This is a good post that bears rereading.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

That's bizarre. They have the rights to the Turtles, Splinter, April, Casey, Shredder, Beebop & Rocksteady, and Krang, but for some reason Usagi was left out? It can't possibly have anything to do with the actual Kurosawa Yojimbo character can it?

Usagi Yojimbo wasn't an original TMNT character. Stan Sakai created him around the same time as the turtles came about, but he has his own universe of stories.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Off topic, but does anyone remember the goon's name that got the movie accurate Batman Begins (Dark Knight?) costume made? He had it in an armoire with batarangs and everything.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

thanks man!

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

While some of these versions are bad (the Larsen and Geoff Johns versions come to mind), there's usually something to like in each of them. I'm pretty excited to see James Wan's version of Aquaman!

To be fair to Larsen, he hated that gig because the editor kept rewriting whole chunks of each issue, so he washed his hands of it as soon as he could.

"It was an extremely difficult book to write-- on the one hard, the editor wanted me to make Aquaman more cheerful and positive while at the same time he had Aquaman's wife leave him. The "just do it" directive that to me contradicted any logic or reason lead to some very tense exchanges."

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 23, 2016

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I saw a webcomic where the artist depicted what it'd be like if Spider-Man shot spiders out of his hands and I gotta tell you, for a lot of people that'd be loving terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Uncle Wemus posted:

Man i forgot how much avengers looks like a tv show instead of a big budget movie.

I tried my best to crop it. I like that the defiant old guy takes up the whole left third of the screen, making him appear larger than Loki.

• Locked thread