Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Not to mention that if Marvel Comics doesn't use a character named Captain Marvel after a while, the trademark goes to DC.

Which is why Marvel has never let the trademark lapse and never will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sylvester Stalone has allegedly been cast in GotG2 which pretty much confirms that it's a stealth Tango & Cash sequel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah but I don't think people were really thinking that they were going to turn Lucifer into a cop procedural.

There was no way they were going to do anything else with it. From the moment it was announced I've been saying it would only be vaguely connected to the comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It just struck me as a weird detail to include. Like, if they get a second season and one of the episodes revolves around a murder at the new Rams stadium is he going to walk around saying "Oh, you mean 'American Football,"?

I'd be shocked if they don't do that in the remaining episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darko posted:

Lucifer is British because U.S. audiences associate British accents with cool, intelligent, powerful, villains, and it works as shorthand for the character.

American media needs more Chav baddies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

feedmyleg posted:

Then watch Scott Pilgrim

Especially the Brandon Routh scene.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As the source is comicbook.com it's very possible that this is 100% bullshit but if it's not it's some amazing trolling on DC/WB's part.

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/07/j-k-simmons-cast-as-commissioner-gordon-in-justice-league/

quote:

J.K. Simmons will play Commissioner James Gordon in Zack Snyder's upcoming Justice League - Part One, THR reports.

The actor, best known to comics fans as J. Jonah Jameson in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films and the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series, will play the Gotham City Police Commissioner in the upcoming team-up film which will star Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in the wake of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Over the years, Simmons has frequently been quizzed on whether he might return as Jameson in a Spider-Man reboot, since his is arguably the most universally-beloved casting ever in a comic book movie. He's always said that he's open to it, but two reboots on had recently started to acknowledge it seemed less likely.

Justice League, written by Chris Terrio (Argo) and directed by Snyder, is expected to start filming in April for a November 2017 release.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also in this modern era of paparazzi/celebrity gossip websites/obsessed fans/Anonymous/conspiracy theorists it'd be ever more increasingly difficult for any superhero to guard their secret identity, especially if their alter ego is as well known as Bruce Wayne and they don't wear a mask that completely covers their face.
There'd be websites dedicated to recording all their known appearances in an effort to find patterns in their movements and figure out where their secret base was hidden. Characters like Spider-Man who often start their patrols by leaping out their apartment window in full costume would be exposed in a day or two.

This was one of the things Kevin Feige has brought up when explaining why the MCU has done away with secret identities for the most part.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chris O'donnel bought myself and everyone else in line gyros in Chicago as an apology for cutting the line.

I didn't recognize him before or after.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

90 minutes of it is the elaborate backstory for the government stooge that hands Cap the registration law.

And the rest is Spider-man's origin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's got to be some kind of in movie explanation for that Spidey costume.

Tony calls him "Underoos." It's probably homemade and he's 15. Come on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

That Spider-Man costume is so drat good.

If you haven't, find the high-res picture of it before you go off of what you see in the trailer. The level of detail on it is crazy, and it's clearly meant to look Ditko-esque.

The face detail makes me thing of Alex Ross's design from Marvels (which was totally Ditko inspired I KNOW but that's what I'm seeing.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I said come in! posted:

I am really interested in seeing how Bucky Barnes ties into all of this, he wasn't even apart of the comic story right?

Soul Glo posted:

In the comics he becomes Captain America after Steve gets killed.

There's a shitload of stuff in the comic that isn't in the film as Hemsworth isn't playing an evil clone of Thor in this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tony hosed up and almost destroyed the world. Him being the one to lead the charge to control powers makes perfect sense in the MCU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah but considering Evans has apparently been wanting out for a while, this would be a good time to make that happen. I don't know what the contracts look like for Infinity War, but those could always be misleading anyway :shrug:

Evans changed his tun MONTHS ago and has repeatedly said he wants in for the long haul. The removal of Ike Perlmutter from Marvel Studios has made everyone happier to be involved.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soul Glo posted:

Cool. I like him as the character, though it would have been nice to see Bucky Cap or Falcon Cap.

They clearly had that in mind when they started the Winter Soldier story but with Evans wanting to stay they may have changed the direction they were going.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tom Gorman posted:

Spider-Man's costume looks amazing imo. Love it.

It looks great. Nothing will ever match the ASM2 suit but they wanted to get away from that design language. And honestly, this new suit looks like a genius 16 year old might have read up on screen printing and made it himself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

There'll no doubt be a new Spider-Man costume design in every new Spider-Man standalone and at least the first Infinity War but also every other MCU film he gets a role bigger than a stinger cameo. Possibly even more than one re--design in some of those.

Has Holland been confirmed for any other MCU films yet?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Man of Steel is better than any Marvel studios film.

It's so good but I really love Winter Soldier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Black widow's speech at the end nearly ruins the movie for me.

Amy Adams and her "I'm a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter" bit really pushed me out of MoS for a few minutes. All films have their weak spots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Corek posted:

Movies are good

Can you source that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

Guyver 2 Dark Hero is legit awesome.

I would love to know the exact amount of fake blood they used.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I Remember watching the Guyver movies as a teenager and I loved them.

I own a supposedly really rare copy of Guyver 2 on dvd. UNCUT.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I hear uncut Guyver is illegal in some parts of the south.

That scene where Crain flips over and runs on his hands should be illegal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

Guyver 2 Dark Hero is the most B movie to ever B movie and I love it so much. It takes all of the problems of tone and consistency the first movie had and flushes them down the toilet.

The acting is garbage in a fantastic way, the effects are amazing and gorey, the deaths are over the top from start to finish and the creature effects are spot on. We get THREE unique Guyver designs, and the entire thing goes off with only a bit of a slow....

Not a middle. Like, one third of the middle is slow. Then monsters and Guyvers start fighting and it just never stops.

Bro, I LOVE this movie. LOVE. I spent like $85 on that stupid DVD from loving Chekoslovakia or some place that doesn't exist anymore. I bought a shitload of Guyver manga and figures because of that movie. I'm probably into Guyver poo poo for close to a fuckin grand all told.

But

he

runs

on

his

hands

It was too much even for the king of B movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

CINEMATIC GOLD

Better than the literal tentacle rape that's in the first OVA at any rate.

Why Japan. Why 1985 Japan. Why.

Because we deserved it, that's why.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I always figured it was revenge on us for Hiroshima.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sam Rockwell's Justin Hammer is the best evil businessman we will ever see in cinema.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The MSJ posted:

Including AoS is surprising. The Civil War writers apparently had no idea about what happened on the show.
http://m.hitfix.com/harpy/dont-expect-any-mention-of-inhumans-in-captain-america-civil-war

Like I've been saying, nobody gives a single gently caress about what happens on AoS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TetsuoTW posted:

btw i wholeheartedly recommend checking out tezzor's recent rap sheet, he is a man dedicated to his rage that some people like movies he doesn't and by christ is he going to tell you all about it.

Holy poo poo.

And I thought I was a bad poster.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Probated for an opinion about pizza is pretty excellent.

I wonder if Tony Stark prefers Chicago or NYC style.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kurzon posted:

My big complaint with the movie is that Superman always has this glum expression.

Except during the learning to fly sequence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

I have super ADHD and I tend to obsess over certain things that catch my attention. So I go in cycles. If I really like something, I am going to listen or watch it over and over and over and over and over again, then I'll switch to some thing else for a while and then eventually go back to it.

It's why I have the first RoboCop, all 12 Friday the 13ths, and all Godzilla movies not made in 98 memorized.

I once watched Robocop every day for 47 days straight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

We need to hang out

I'm a pretty fun date.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sophie Turner is goddamned terrible and almost makes me not want to see the film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Electromax posted:

Well RoboCop ain't gonna watch itself the 48th time.

drat right it isn't.

To be fair I have watched it at least a dozen times since then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeah it really felt more like a character piece about a guy trying to get his life back together so he can see his kid again but he just so happens to have super powers which are another distraction/temptation he has to deal with in his life. 'Wasted potential' is one of the obvious themes running through the film but I wasn't really sure it was addressed at all by the end of the film.

The filmmaker might have been trying to make Melvin might have been a metaphor for the USA itself - he has a gigantic amount of power combined with booksmarts and good intentions but he's constantly distracted by frivolous partying, drugs and booze and old timey religion. When he does man up and try to affect change he goes for the nuclear option rather than the longterm smart option, which itself causes problems for himself and his friends. He just can't understand why his life isn't as great as he always imagined it and when he tries to bootstrap himself into a better person that doesn't work either.

This is such a good analysis of the film and now I want to watch it again.
Cheers man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think there was an issue of JLA years ago, I want to say circa 2000-2004, where Superman tells some bad guy something like, "We don't kill, but we've sometimes have to come up with no-kill options that might make death look more merciful."

We aren't gong to kill you, but we will exile you to the core of Saturn for the rest of your life.

It was the end of the Ultramarine Corps arc where they exiled the General to a sliver of asteroid millions of miles from Earth.

I think.

• Locked thread