Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody died onscreen, it can be safely assumed they all escaped :colbert: This is how comic books work.

The Joker does shoot Bob on screen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Pretty sure there was outcry about Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin.

There was tons of outcry and plenty of racist assholes decrying his performance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wyoming posted:

Either way, it's unmitigated trash.

You mean tons of loving fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lego is awesome, quit being a bunch of squares.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

"AGE OF ULTRON: It exists."

This is more than I can bear.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

broken clock opsec posted:

Hot Fuzz is still just amazing to watch over and over again, though to me much more so than Shaun of the Dead or End of the World.

the World's End is widely considered his weakest of the Conetto films but it is my absolute favorite.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowman_McK posted:

It tackles the heaviest theme and so has the hardest job balancing humour and pathos. It's bloody brilliant.

My only real problem is it doesn't really stick the ending the way the other two do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slugworth posted:

I saw Worlds End with a friend of mine who is essentially Sean Pegg's character, and my hand to God, he showed up to the theater in a Sisters Of Mercy shirt. It really made the whole experience so much better.

A lot of my friends have said I have far too much in common with Gary King that I don't really see. I guess I have a pretty severe case of Peter Pan syndrome.

And I'm an alcoholic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well it's not like Gary knew telling the Network to gently caress off was going to destroy civilization.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He just filmed an episode of Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" with a very grim title.

It's Great that Garry Shandling is Still Alive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BvS.

Slow start, a little bit of a meandering plot. Good second act, killer third act. Fantastic finale. Loved it overall.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wyoming posted:

Yeah, also this, it seems implied that Batman was retired until Superman v Zod.

No it isn't. It appears that way in the trailers but the film makes it very clear that he's been active as Batman non stop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man.

People going out of their way to defend this movie sure do bring up comparisons to Marvel more than actual Marvel fans. Seems kind of insecure. Why do you think the alternative is Marvel? I mean, Fox makes movies in a certain style too. Some of them have even been movies people like.

Nearly every negative fan review I have seen of the film has some comparison to the MCU and usually holds those films up as "done right."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've seen it primarily from professional critics and BvS's own defenders than actual Marvel fans, but that's my own experience.

So, anecdotal you say?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Both multijoe and I are going off of anecdotes, yes.

As am I. But you present it as if it was the norm when my experience says the opposite.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, prior to the box office numbers, people were doing little victory dances declaring this movie definitively bad because of a low RT score, despite RT similarly being a terrible metric for determining the value of a movie.

Not saying that box office is by any means, and while I liked it I am not going to defend it as great cinema or whatever. But there are a ton of people who seem very emotionally tied to their opinion of the movie being canonically "right", instead of just letting people judge the movie themselves.

There's a very vocal, very large Marvel vs DC bias that is drowning out people who just want to genuinely enjoy the film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WHO WAS THE WOMAN IN BRUCE'S BED OH MY GOD THAT'S A PLOT HOLE.

Is the kind of discussion I am seeing on Facebook right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Waid do something like that to Wally as well or am I mis-remembering?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't think Vader is a very good villain in Episode 4. He's really just kind of Tarkin's thug.

A New Hope kind of sucks a lot.

Edit: But it's still better than all three prequels and the Force Awakens.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vintersorg posted:

Sounds like you walked by some MRA shithead who thought your wife was some "nerd imposter".

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/708526086137708544

I don't follow this idiot but is he being serious?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Given his history, almost certainly.

So what prompted it? Is he jealous that she's become very successful and he's still a douchebag on the internet?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Does Easter matter? This is a genuine question because Christmas is considered a good day for going to the movies. I don't know if Easter is any worse or better.

I messaged my friend that works at Carmike, he says that traditionally Easter is a very slow day for film goers. Anecdotal and all that but still, he is the manager so he'd no best.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thor 2 has peak Kat Dennings which pushes it way past what I can tolerate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like a lot of Thor 2 but any scene Dennings is in makes me want to turn it off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, i think the Wolverine is a pretty good flick so my opinion is worth fuckall so keep that in mind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vintersorg posted:

The Wolverine is actually decent - I was totally surprised and loved everything about it - the goddamn ninjas getting fed into a mulcher just sealed the deal.

The entire fight in the snow is what I love most about it. Such a great fight sequence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hemsworth is really great in the role of Thor, he's got a good mix of royalty and smug frat boy in his performance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just stumbled across a person in a FB discussion who was confused because the same guy played a Hydra agent in TWS as well as Luthor's head thug in BvS. She couldn't seem to figure out that actors play different roles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The MSJ posted:

Well this is out of nowhere.

https://twitter.com/CiaraMcAvoy1/status/711200774127284224

Who even has the rights to Captain Britain?

Pretty sure that was already debunked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

And didn't Grifter somehow end up with DC? Was that a similar arrangement?

Todd did not create Grifter. Jim Lee left Image and sold his entire little "universe" to DC who have very poorly integrated it into their own line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'd be surprised if there was any complaining about Viola Davis.

SHE'S NOT FAT ENOUGH
:goonsay:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Spawn movie is loving terrible. I'll be shocked if Todd actually gets another one off the ground. Is he still lying about Jamie Foxx starring in it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Except BvS had already been crushing advance ticket sales records when Faraci published his semi-weekly "I hate WB" screed.

And JL actually started filming early.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A Facebook post just reminded me that Cap's best friend (Bucky, the Winter Soldier)'s first name is James. Iron Man's best friend (Rhodes, War Machine) is also named James. Maybe Marvel can have their own "Martha" moment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

There's also like, no loving way that's in act 1 like the rumors say, because everyone's already in their respective camps.

It's entirely possible that's how the film starts and then we get a "THREE WEEKS EARLIER" blurb.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Introduce Spider-Man, flash backwards, then flash forwards. I like your thinking.

I can't wait for the stream of bitching that will ensue when Spider-man is in less than 10 minutes of the film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowman_McK posted:

After all, we only have five full length movies of him

BUT HE MUST BE AVENGER I READ IT IN COMICS

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think he means that everyone (except for a new team of Avengers) goes their own way at the end of AoU. Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Hawkeye all take off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was only a matter of time before someone defended Spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw the first Spider-man flick three times on opening day.

• Locked thread