Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I said come in! posted:

I feel like it's perfectly okay to change some of this stuff about these super heroes. Batman in this new movie clearly kills people without mercy. Watch the latest trailer, he is body slamming bad guys through floors and slamming them head first into hard objects, no way anyone in that room he took out survived those brutal attacks.

It's just highlighting how silly Batman's stance is. It's perfectly fine to paralyze a guy from the waist down or put him in traction for a year, but hey, at least he isn't dead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Besides, this a Zack Snyder movie. Man of Steel was tame as gently caress for him. I fully expected that movie to have a scene where Superman rips a dudes head off and covers himself in the victims blood. Batman vs. Superman will get an R-Rated version for the blu-ray release, so maybe it'll still have 300 or Watchmen levels of blood and gore.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy A. Person posted:

What a loving loon.

I'm fairly sure that Strawberry Shortcake pitch is real, at the very least. It's definitely sounding very familiar.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm fairly sure that Strawberry Shortcake pitch is real, at the very least. It's definitely sounding very familiar.

I don't know about that, but there was a fairly internet-famous comic that shows Spider-Man mentioning getting molested as a kid by some old guy.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Bob Quixote posted:

I don't know about that, but there was a fairly internet-famous comic that shows Spider-Man mentioning getting molested as a kid by some old guy.

That was PSA comic about childhood molestation and how if it happens to you it wasn't something to feel ashamed about.

Very different from supposed "edgy" bullshit.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hellbunny posted:

That was PSA comic about childhood molestation and how if it happens to you it wasn't something to feel ashamed about.

Very different from supposed "edgy" bullshit.

Well yeah, and in that context it works - context is everything. Same thing with people getting annoyed with the Zod neck snap in Man of Steel: it would be really unnerving and out of place to see Fleischer cartoon Superman or Superman the Animated Series Superman breaking necks, but within the tone established by the film it made perfect sense and flowed with the rest of the action. It's not something done purely for the purpose of being shocking or edgy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bob Quixote posted:

Well yeah, and in that context it works - context is everything. Same thing with people getting annoyed with the Zod neck snap in Man of Steel: it would be really unnerving and out of place to see Fleischer cartoon Superman or Superman the Animated Series Superman breaking necks, but within the tone established by the film it made perfect sense and flowed with the rest of the action. It's not something done purely for the purpose of being shocking or edgy.

Conversely, seeing some of the Silver Age solutions suggested above by one article or another applied in the context of Man of Steel would be horrifying. Imagine an ant-sized Michael Shannon locked in a jar, screaming and hammering against the glass, forever.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Conversely, seeing some of the Silver Age solutions suggested above by one article or another applied in the context of Man of Steel would be horrifying. Imagine an ant-sized Michael Shannon locked in a jar, screaming and hammering against the glass, forever.

Yeah that whole Phantom Zone thing seems like a huge copout. It's like skipping the killing part and just sending a person directly to hell instead. Doesn't really smack of having the moral high ground if your solution to a problem is to just shut that problem away forever with no hope of escape.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Whaaaaaaa :stare:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

Killing Zod is a good scene, but I wish there was another scene that really tested the "kill/don't kill" argument earlier. Just to give it more of a pay off at the end.

You mean, aside from all the scenes of him holding back so he doesn't murder assholes and bullies with a single punch?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's just highlighting how silly Batman's stance is. It's perfectly fine to paralyze a guy from the waist down or put him in traction for a year, but hey, at least he isn't dead!

That was one of my favorite parts of Dark Knight, where the mob dude is like "Falling from this height wouldn't kill me." "I'M COUNTING ON IT" and pushes him off and it brutally shatters his legs, like, holy poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

wyoming posted:

That was one of my favorite parts of Dark Knight, where the mob dude is like "Falling from this height wouldn't kill me." "I'M COUNTING ON IT" and pushes him off and it brutally shatters his legs, like, holy poo poo.

I felt like Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy was as much about how absurd Bruce Wayne/Batman then it is about how he is a hero. Batman vs. Superman seems to go that direction too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Grendels Dad posted:

I think there was an issue of JLA years ago, I want to say circa 2000-2004, where Superman tells some bad guy something like, "We don't kill, but we've sometimes have to come up with no-kill options that might make death look more merciful."

We aren't gong to kill you, but we will exile you to the core of Saturn for the rest of your life.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like that cause it's so specific. It's so common to hear that opinion in the wild where some dude thinks he can incapacitate someone who cuts in line at Target by shattering his shin with a well timed kick or shooting him in the hand, as if it's chivalrous or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think there was an issue of JLA years ago, I want to say circa 2000-2004, where Superman tells some bad guy something like, "We don't kill, but we've sometimes have to come up with no-kill options that might make death look more merciful."

We aren't gong to kill you, but we will exile you to the core of Saturn for the rest of your life.

It was the end of the Ultramarine Corps arc where they exiled the General to a sliver of asteroid millions of miles from Earth.

I think.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I said come in! posted:

I feel like it's perfectly okay to change some of this stuff about these super heroes. Batman in this new movie clearly kills people without mercy. Watch the latest trailer, he is body slamming bad guys through floors and slamming them head first into hard objects, no way anyone in that room he took out survived those brutal attacks.

Batman 1989 straight up killed a whole bunch of the Joker's goons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPudZd3oI4
They also raceflipped Harvey Dent and hardly anyone gave a poo poo, they were too busy writing petitions trying to get Tim Burton taken off the project for having cast Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne. :v:
(Burton's justification was "Well he looks like the kind of person who'd need to dress up as a bat in order to intimidate criminals.")

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 20, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They also raceflipped Harvey Dent and hardly anyone gave a poo poo, they were too busy writing petitions trying to get Tim Burton taken off the project for having cast Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne. :v:
(Keaton's justification was "Well he looks like the kind of person who'd need to dress up as a bat in order to intimidate criminals.")

Who on earth was gonna be upset by Billy Dee Williams though?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm only aware of the thing penny arcade had to remove, which was sexual but not rapey.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The same people who'd be upset about Idris Elba?? :v:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I said come in! posted:

In the last episode I saw, Daredevil throws dudes down stairwells and wraps chains around their necks and loving pulls, this is moments after he argues against killing people to The Punisher.. The whole ideal of not-killing is very grey in comics because it relies on intentions and ideals which is another debate altogether.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Finally saw Antman after not having a chance to catch it in theaters. It's pretty good.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, that fight is pretty savage. Comic book movies exist in a land where King hits don't exist and death is never accidental, although that said, the Jessica Jones series tended to have lots of 'knocked out or killed from a single hit' moments, so some series/movies have gone for a different style.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Well, I laughed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icrM6q1Un4E

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Vintersorg posted:

It's almost here! :D :D

Articles are coming out again on how Man of Steel destroyed Superman and the babies are crying in the comments on how "he killed!" "he let Pa Kent die!" "Pa Kent said kill children!!"

E:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalk...f/#449f8aac47d8

I love how I see Forbes articles all the time when I google stuff like Fallout 4 Easter Eggs, or the Dark Souls 3 release day. This ain't your daddy's Forbes!!!!! (ps please send money)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Finally saw Antman after not having a chance to catch it in theaters. It's pretty good.

Right? Ant-Man I thought was fantastic. Marvels best movies have been their new movie heroes, like Guardians of the Galaxy. Makes me excited for Dr. Strange.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Justin Godscock posted:

In the last episode I saw, Daredevil throws dudes down stairwells and wraps chains around their necks and loving pulls, this is moments after he argues against killing people to The Punisher.. The whole ideal of not-killing is very grey in comics because it relies on intentions and ideals which is another debate altogether.

"There is no such thing" was a funny and canon cop out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

This is amazing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nobody died onscreen, it can be safely assumed they all escaped :colbert: This is how comic books work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody died onscreen, it can be safely assumed they all escaped :colbert: This is how comic books work.

The Joker does shoot Bob on screen though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

wyoming posted:

I don't disagree with your point, but that is a ridiculous exaggeration. Smarmy mob dude is out of the hospital and walking with a cane within a few days. Just in time for Two Face to question him and shoot his driver.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It seems to be a common thing that as long as the race-switching involves black actors playing criminals, that's 'okay' (see MCD as Kingpin, suggestions for Denzel to play Luthor, etc). God forbid they have them play a white hero, though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Pretty sure there was outcry about Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Pretty sure there was outcry about Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin.

There was tons of outcry and plenty of racist assholes decrying his performance.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I said come in! posted:

In Arkham Asylum I dropped a guy head first into a cloud of poison, his status was unconscious.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Alhazred posted:

In Arkham Asylum I dropped a guy head first into a cloud of poison, his status was unconscious.

the amount of brain damage I caused in Arkham City was ridiculous. Pretty sure I smashed a guy through the pavement once.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think this BvS spot is new. Stay tuned for the new scene at the very end, hahaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQQQ-LMF-tY

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The point about superheroes doing things that would clearly kill people is the "how come no one notices Superman is just Clark Kent without glasses" of the modern day.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The MSJ posted:

I think this BvS spot is new. Stay tuned for the new scene at the very end, hahaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQQQ-LMF-tY

Lmfao.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i want a whole movie of batman driving his car into superman and getting pushed around

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Batman gets shoved into lockers and pantsed in gym class for 2 hours 49 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sentinel Red posted:

It seems to be a common thing that as long as the race-switching involves black actors playing criminals, that's 'okay' (see MCD as Kingpin, suggestions for Denzel to play Luthor, etc). God forbid they have them play a white hero, though.

Both Spiderman and Johnny Blaze want you to stop being outraged on their behalf if you would.

• Locked thread