Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

I look forward to people saying that this means the movie is actually good, while continuing to decry other similarly bloated, brainless affairs as terrible despite making similar amounts of money.

I mean, prior to the box office numbers, people were doing little victory dances declaring this movie definitively bad because of a low RT score, despite RT similarly being a terrible metric for determining the value of a movie.

Not saying that box office is by any means, and while I liked it I am not going to defend it as great cinema or whatever. But there are a ton of people who seem very emotionally tied to their opinion of the movie being canonically "right", instead of just letting people judge the movie themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Boob Marley posted:

Money doesn't matter.
Only opinions matter.
Not our opinions though.
The opinions of critics.
And people who upvote star-ratings on IMDB years before the release of movies.

...but not even the 11,000 premature IMDB votes that placed BvS at 9.7 stars months ahead of its release could skew it hard enough to survive the harsh reality of its own awfulness.

There is no war between Marvel and DC studios. There is no throne. There is no scenario here where DC "wins".
When it comes down to making good movies, Marvel has no quarrel with DC. Just as a boot has no quarrel with an ant.

Yes

Can you please update the chart that has all of the superhero movies over the past 20 years or whatever? TIA

The MSJ posted:

Lego Batman's second and definitely better trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgQSwgKygk

This was the trailer we got at my BvS showing (minus the intro) and it was a massive hit.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Isn't BvS making like all the money right now?

This one weird trick to make a billion dollars at the box office. Movie review bloggers hate it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It's doing very well for a first week but the major question will be the retention it has. There's no potential major releases next week so it has a good chance of having a strong second week too but it is also getting (while not unfavorable) less positive buzz than the first film so it may see a sharper decline. It's hard to say.

Completely anecdotal "word of mouth" story:

My wife and sister-in-law who are not at all into nerdy poo poo (my wife knows more on average through living with me but she still had to ask who Cyborg was, my sister-in-law kept hilariously calling Aquaman "Mer-Man" which led to a lot of Zoolander jokes) saw the movie with me on Saturday and loved it. We were discussing it quite a bit at Easter and they were talking it up, her 8 year old cousin is pysched to see it (he wants Batman to punch Superman in the balls, he also made me sing Led Zepplin's Black Dog in his pretend rock band, cool kid).

I think there are a lot of conflicting factors at work, and it should make the next few weeks interesting to see how it plays out:

- A lot of the hardcore comic movie fans likely saw it this past weekend, undeterred by the bad reviews. However, other people might be put off by the bad reviews and those same hardcore folks might not see it multiple times if they hated it.

- The hype train obviously helped push it to record March opening numbers, and that might be cut into by reviews. On the other hand, all this week during NCAA tourney and prime time television people will be seeing "#1 movie in America" ads for it, every 15 minutes which might keep things going.

- I think a lot of families with kids didn't necessarily take them to the movies on a busy holiday weekend, and (again anecdotally) kids want to see Superman and Batman punch each other in the balls. This could potentially be hurt by some of the violence, but I don't really think it was too bad.

- There is word of mouth and buzz just around how well it's doing and even the bad reviews cause interest based on "how could something get lovely reviews and still be killing at the box office". Combined with nothing else to see on a rainy early April weekend, people might go see it just to see what the fuss is about.

I think there could be a big drop but I also think with such a huge opening you aren't going to see it bottom out to the point where it goes from "sets March records" to "wasn't a financial success". I am not super invested in how well it does financially outside of hoping it doesn't derail Justice League plans, but again since JL is already filming and BvS looks to be at least a moderate success, I don't see that happening either.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sure it's going to be a success. I doubt it will have THAT huge a dropoff. At best it's the difference between a big success and a huge success.

I've said it before but I'm sure we're going to hear a lot about it once Civil War comes out because (tedious or not) it's the big competitor to BvS. If Civil War significantly outperforms BvS then you're going to hear a lot of commentary about that particular result and same vice-versa. I doubt either film will do poorly and mostly it's going to be more fodder for the tedious inter-company slapfights.

Yeah, all true. It will be interesting to see how it is compared to Civil War (well like, intelligently compared, not just the usual Marvel vs DC poo poo slinging).

One thing someone mentioned, maybe in this or the other thread, is how people seem to actually be legitimately choosing sides in the Batman v Superman debate. When I was walking to the theater with my wife we were wearing Superman shirts and some dude in a Batman shirt scoffed and said "typical" under his breath, which was hilarious. It was also hotly debated over Easter dinner who was better (Batman seemed to win out overall). I wish they had played it up even more in the advertising, honestly, because it is a fun way to get into the movie.

Obviously Civil War is still a ways off but so far the general response seems to be "oh so Tony Stark is being an rear end in a top hat again? ok", rather than an actual debate over who is right. Maybe once the movie is closer/released I will see more family debates about the ethics of super hero registration, which would be great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was really funny that people were like "why is TMNT getting a sequel?!??!" Why do you loving think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is getting a sequel?

A guy on my Facebook said "why do they keep letting Zack Snyder make movies??"

Like, no they're not "letting" him they are paying him well to do it because he makes them money.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Sounds like you walked by some MRA shithead who thought your wife was some "nerd imposter".

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/708526086137708544

Quite possibly hahaha

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

He hasn't deleted it so I am guessing he stands by it.

gently caress him and good for Olivia Munn - shes doing really well in her career and is even dating Aaron Rodgers from the Packers who's a giant loving dork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CICGnM8Z8Qc

As a Chicagoan I loving hate how likeable that guy is even as he kicks our rear end twice a year ughhhhhh

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Does Easter matter? This is a genuine question because Christmas is considered a good day for going to the movies. I don't know if Easter is any worse or better.

Yeah not actually sure. I feel like with Chritmas you have the morning where kids are opening presents or whatever then everyone chills till dinner or whatever. This is when someone takes the kids/visiting cousins or whatever to the movies while everyone else preps for dinner. I feel like Easter is maybe a little different since people tend to go to church a little later, it's a little nicer usually so kids are outside hunting for Easter eggs, and it's more local family than people flying across the country.

This is all of course totally based on personal experience, not sure if this bears out in country-wide movie viewing trends. Again it could be because of bad reviews affecting the non-opening day fans, too.

Vintersorg posted:

I haven't seen this kind of vitriol before, either here or on various sites.

Seriously, one guy has repeatedly been openly talking about how it makes him orgasm that this movie will likely do bad.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm hoping the Nick Fury after-credits recruitment scenes are just Batman in full costume asking heroes to join his club.

They should be shot for shot remakes of all of the Marvel post-credits scenes, except with a fully costumed Batman in place of Nick Fury or whoever. Batman driving to the desert in the batmobile and finding Aquaman's trident instead of Thor's hammer, Batman napping while the Flash talks to him like a therapist, etc.

This scene would be especially great, Batman walking into a bar in broad daylight (they can even keep the "You always wear such nice suits" joke word for word):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qQF6LcgH_I

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

Assuming it's Darkseid (which it is, we basically know that), The first part is probably his minions doing stuff on Earth. This requires the normally separate superheroes to team up, culminating with (big BvS spoiler) Superman coming back from the dead and then Part 2 is the assembled Justice League fighting him.

Based on the Flash cameo in BvS, with him saying "you're right about him!" and this likely being a red herring to make you think it is Superman I pictured a Glorious Godfrey type situation where he arrives and tries to weaken the heroes by attacking the public's faith in them.

Steve2911 posted:

The only thing? They're doing the teamup movie before introducing the team.

They're doing a super hero team movie just like X-Men, The Incredibles, Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Hero 6, etc.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Where in the White Martian threat was...the very first thing that drew them all together. Which they can't very well do here for obvious reasons.

Other times he's shown up, they either ignore or play down the White Martian angle, but generally those are not out and out Justice League series and are set some time after he's actually shown up.

The story that you're talking about in that first sentence was the first appearance of the White Martians ever. Martian Manhunter had been a core member of the Justice League for decades before that, having been created 40 years before the White Martians. Also even in that story the White Martians didn't survive and were after him still, everyone on MM's planet had been wiped out including the White Martians and the ones they encountered had just been in deep space when it happened.

What you're talking about sounds like possibly the New 52 paradigm? I'm really not familiar with that, nor do I think MM absolutely has to be a core member of the JL (I really like when he is and lament that they have moved away from that in the past several years, but here we are). But the White Martians have not always been as central to his story; more the fact that he lost his entire race when he was old enough to care (having a wife and daughter) whereas Kal doesn't have any frame of reference for missing Krypton.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

I can't believe "his origin and powers are too similar to Superman's", when it ignores the fact that J'onn's involves genocide and not a natural disaster, and the fact that it would give Superman someone to relate to and bond with.

These aren't obstacles, they're story hooks.

Also, again, J'onn was an adult and lost a wife and child. He experiences his loss in a completely different way.

bring back old gbs posted:

The entire way DC is going about their extended universe is weird. They took this movie to introduce Flash, WW, Aquaman, and Dr. Pepper Cyborg, instead of trying them on their own and replacing the actors if the films didn't work. Then they plan on doing their big team up movie BEFORE their individual movies? What if one sucks? Like you have this great team but one clear anchor weighing everything down? Now some clunky team member replacement thing needs to happen before the next movie can go forward with the Actual Good team, but that crappy guy was still around at the beginning.

Just seems strangely risky for a franchise.

I don't see how? Like Marvel's method obviously worked well for them but it obviously isn't the only way. And carries the problem of starting out super slowly and potentially being derailed if one of those movies failed (this already happened with Green Lantern).

Also, Avengers already kind of did the same thing. You had 3 of the guys with their own films, a replacement Hulk and 2 characters from cameo roles. By the time of Justice League you will have... 3 people with their own films, and 3 characters from cameo roles. Not a super significant difference.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, I don't think a lot of people would complain if the White Martians in J'onn's origin were replaced with Apokolips ravaging Mars.

Missed this as well, but honestly making J'onn a survivor of Darkseid's genocide of Mars would be a fantastic story hook and way to introduce him. The White Martians were cool in the first Morrison story but were lame for most of the time afterward (again, don't know how they've fared in the New 52 though).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It made me feel hopeless. Hopeless about the world. Hopeless about my life (although, that's personal). Hopeless about heroes. I felt drained and just beaten after it. I know it boils down to Superman. I felt this exact same way coming out of Man of Steel. This Superman is just so off putting to me it bothers me.

This is the post that I think people are reacting to CP, especially the bolded part. If a movie is making you feel "hopeless" and "depressed" that's not good, and people aren't insulting you for pointing out how strong that language seems to be.

Unless of course you're just co-opting the language of actual depression in order to make fun of a movie, which of course I would never accuse you of.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I mean...they ganked Jimmy Olsen. I'm depressed by this movie and I haven't even seen it.

It wasn't even the real Jimmy Olsen it was some CIA spook who had probably killed Jimmy off camera to assume his identity

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That sounds like such a huge crock of poo poo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Is WB happy with "fine" though?

It's not likely it's going to make as much as either Avengers movie.

Like, this is a movie with 3 of the biggest comic book characters ever, and it's not going to surpass Iron Man 3. I figure there's gotta be some disappointment on their end.

Do we even have the numbers to project a final box office though? I know there was some buzz about the Friday to Sunday dropoff but Sunday was also Easter and then it had a larger than average Monday.

I agree it likely won't make as much as either Avengers but as far as "disappointment" I feel like their bigger disappointment is that they have sat on these characters for so long while Marvel was raking in the money. If their expectations were that they were going to outperform a franchise that has been building since 2008 just by throwing Batman and Superman into a movie I feel like those were poorly managed expectations.

At this point for them it is likely less about consistently beating Marvel and more about cranking out 2 high grossing movies a year. If they panic just because they aren't making Marvel money right out of the gate then they're incredibly foolish and they won't be able to maintain a consistent franchise for the next decade anyway.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Viller posted:

Who wants to see Batfleck fight scarecrow or the riddler after he beat superman and helped beat Doomsday? Its a no contest, not that it really ever was.

A poo poo ton of people will want to see Batfleck fight Leto Joker, especially if his debut in Suicide Squad is a success. Then if that movie does well, people will want to see him fight his other villains, just like they have in the past.

I mean I sort've get what you're saying but the escalation thing doesn't really make sense when in most Batman series he fights his biggest and most recognizable villain right off the bat or fairly early into the series.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

Haha a guy is a piece of human poo poo because you don't like the way he writes about comic book movies. Ok. You seem real swell yourself.

I mean he is exaggerating because this is the internet but also Devin Faraci is a loving waste of space lying trash golem of a sub-man (not really I am sure he is a nice man and his family loves him)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah that's pretty ugly but it seems like people get more mad about him getting a rumor about Batman wrong than him attacking people on Twitter

He's not "getting a rumor wrong" he's intentionally lying about poo poo to support his narrative and drive traffic to his website.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Accident Underwater posted:

Isn't everyone basically divided up at the end of AOU (aside from Spider-Man )?

Everyone has gone off to do their own thing, but there's definitely no divided team with "sides" formed. Stark and Cap have a nice goodbye and Black Widow teases them about it.

Also Cap's Avengers at the end of that movie include Widow, Vision and War Machine and they are all on Tony's side.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

She's going to make some amazing quip before bouncing into hiding for 100 years.

Going out on a high note like George Costanza.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I'm not even a kid and I'm pretty pissed about Jimmy Olsen, too.

I doubt there are any actual kids who care about that

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Finally watched Ant-Man since it came to Starz this weekend. It was actually pretty rad, definitely within the better half of MCU movies. You could also definitely see Wright's influence, although it sucks that he didn't actually get to direct.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Looking through Deadline reports on BvS's Box Office, I think is clear that while clearly failing to live up to the expectatives is far from being the absolute bomb some places are making it seem.

poo poo's just weird honestly. The budget was 250 mil and it is going to clear 700 mil internationally over the weekend. That seems like a moderate success but at the same time if it totally bottoms out from here that puts it in roughly the same spot as ASM2 which was considered such a disappointment that Sony cancelled their franchise plans and went groveling to Marvel. Then obviously as people have said there's merchandising but I'm sure there were studio projections which it would still be super bad to miss by too much. I also don't know how marketing cost factors into all of this (is it included in budget traditionally?) Certainly missing expectations is still a huge deal when you are planning this to be a decades long franchise starter.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't know I've seen people want the Marvel movies to fail too

nah not to the point were people are reporting near daily box office numbers (not to mention the thread exploding once the bad reviews rolled in)

I mean, at least on these forums I can't recall it ever happening

Burkion posted:

That's not actually what happened.

Sony is STILL going ahead with some of their franchise plans, and they never went back to Marvel.

Marvel wanted Spider-Man really bad and they came to SONY for the deal that was made. That's why Sony still has final say on everything and why the Spider-man movies are going to be a primarily Sony venture.

Oh my bad, I must have bought into the propaganda on that one

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 3, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It's amazing. My first avatar replacement!

Hhaah what the gently caress? You're not even in the top 10 of posters who are hilariously anti-BvS. Not even Boob Marley got that treatment.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gyges posted:

I don't know if it's a testament to this gif or my stupidity that it took a few loops before I realized the addition to the airport run.

Sadly the little hop he does is like the second most dynamic thing going on in that gif (the first being SW's takeoff, Falcon is a close third, everyone else is running super stiff and awkwardly)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

I'm confused. All the Marvel movies are bad now in the light of BvS?

Wuh?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

He's Literally Satan.

Thanos is a ripoff of Darkseid but they've done a good job differentiating them and both villains are real good when used correctly.

Darkseid is less about fighting people one on one like Thanos and more about sending his legions of parademons and underlings to just wash over and overwhelm his enemies (but obviously he is not above throwing down himself). Whereas Thanos's macguffin is the Infinity Gauntlet which gives him the personal power of a god and allows him to unmake reality and erase all life, Darkseid's path to destroying life is the anti-life equation, which removes all will and renders humanity as mindless slaves to Darkseid. He's less about total death in the physical sense than of removing everything that otherwise defines sentient life (free will, creativity, persontality, etc)

But yeah, they both have interesting backgrounds if you actually read them, right now their public perceptions are "scowly dude at the end of a few Marvel movies" and "the dude from that couch meme". Also Thanos is from thanatos and he courts a big tittied personification of death, this poo poo is all as embarrassing as you want it to be.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Sorry guys I'm Team Marvel and the joke went over my head.

It's a fake editorial cartoon from the Onion

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I love that it's a practical effect.

I'm guessing it is going to be a mix of practical and digital, with the actual eyeballs at least having some form of effect.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Darko posted:

I don't care/like the badly directed action at the end or the beginning outside some of the imagery.

I should give Thor the benefit of a full watch sometime soon, especially since I liked Ant-Man considerably more than I thought. But I was watching the last half hour or so on FX the other night and the Thor/Loki fight at the end is positively grim. It's like some bad TV choreography fighting and wire-fu, like if it was Worf against some alien on TNG.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"I don't know, this reads like a desperation move. Everyone is talking about how poorly BvS is doing and speculating how they are going to cancel everything, so they make this announcement to try and act as if they're okay with the response and everything is going to plan."

- probably Devin Faraci or someone tomorrow

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

io9 already had this article up within minutes of the announcement. Their article title on the announcement: "Warner Bros. Is in Such Denial Over Batman v Superman"

Haha yeah I was going to go back and edit, I saw his tweet. No matter what they do it will either be "I told you so!" or "they're lying/in denial". There is no other narrative.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Meanwhile, Danny Devito's Penguin is the best comic book villain ever put to screen.

He played that city like a harp from hell!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

http://comicbook.com/2016/04/05/captain-america-civil-war-to-tie-into-netflixs-luke-cage-/

Apparently Mariah Dillard is going to be in Civil War. She is also a character in the upcoming Luke Cage series. This will be the first time any actors / characters from the Netflix shows cross into any of the movies.

Also, continuing the tradition of Russo Brothers having Community cameos in their movies, the Dean from Community is also an unnamed character in Civil War. Possibly as a Pan-Sexual version of Uatu the Watcher?

I'm going to be severely disappointed if they don't even have at least a cutaway cameo to Daredevil or Jessica Jones in Civil War. Even just like a voiceover news report like "authorities are attempting to apprehend other unregistered vigilantes" with like Daredevil fleeing some cops up a fire escape or agents at Jessica's door while she is watching from across the street in sunglasses or whatever. Ideally something more but man, I feel like we're still waiting for really crazy shared universe shenanigans 8 years later.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

And you'll have to continue waiting Guy.

I know :smith:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

Beyond's suit WAS crazy mech techno armor, wasn't it? You just can't show off that detail with Dini's art style/farmed out animation.

Well I think it was supposed to be some kind of super futuristic techno suit where it is basically like spandex with loving microchips and poo poo in it that makes you strong, faster, tougher. Booster Gold is an example of someone with something similar.

Then again, this is the DCU version of Steel who is basically supposed to be the DC version of Ironman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Electromax posted:

Bohemian Rhapsody and Ballroom Blitz, now SS just needs a Feed My Frankenstein trailer to compete the Wayne's World trifecta.

Lol

This is completely tangential but I like the story that they wanted him to play School's Out and he was basically like "nah I'm gonna play one of my new songs"

Forget Stan Lee cameos, Alice Cooper should be in every comic book movie

• Locked thread