Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

wyoming posted:

That Atom is amazing.

They actually managed to translate the spirit of that costume well to Legends of Tomorrow. Absolutely terrible and ludicrous, just a different era of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought it was rumored to be more of a direction thing, that he was being pushed by Lord and Miller to go too broad and too comedic and the acting coach was just readjusting to ratchet it back down.

teagone posted:

The kid from Baby Driver.

Elgort was good in Baby Driver, but it also showed him bumping right up against the edge of his range.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That looks stupid. The goggles also look stupid. CGI Deadpool eyes would probably look better than either, but still kinda stupid.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cooler than any on screen cowl so far.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I associate black leather way more with chubby motorcycle dorks and angry teen nerds than high fashion these days.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Thor's "missing eye" makeup was hilariously terrible.

That's because it was CGI. It was so bad I assume it was a last minute addition, since it didn't show up in the trailers in at least one key scene. Probably due to Infinity War reshoots or something.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The consensus seems to be its characters and banter is good, but that's about it. No story, bad villain, bad effects.

I'll pass in the theaters and catch it on home video.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Guys. Guys. Can we just stop being cynical internet jerks and... watch this incredible gif?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

All green/blue screen effects with actors looks so, so much worse in HD.

That being said, exteriors are loving gorgeous. I remember being blown away watching From Russia With Love on blu-ray and how awesome Istanbul looked.

I've been wondering when studios are going to go back and re-composite footage for re-releases like Lucas did with Star Wars. The vast majority movie buyers would care more about the cleaned up effects than the loss of movie history, and it'd be their wallets that count.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

The Sears approach to film production, just toss all the IP's on a table and say 'to the victor goes the spoils'.

Wasn't this what they did with the Wonder Woman script? I recall stories talking about how there were 2 or 3 scripts from different writers in development and that WB would go with the best one. Or maybe they mashed them together in places, which is why the 3rd act suddenly dropped off a quality cliff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because a really great movie with a strong thematic throughline and carefully built character relationships suddenly turned into a boring CGI punchfest where the bad guy twisted his mustache and revealed that he was behind the plan all along?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

euphronius posted:

I guess but that's kind of typical third act stuff.

Exactly. The rest of the movie was elevated above the sort of low standards that lead to "typical third act stuff".

A better film would have led up to Wonder Woman being certain that Ares was behind it all only to figure out that Ares wasn't involved (or doesn't exist) and humanity was doing these terrible things all on its own, and that there is nothing she can punch to fix the situation. That instead, she has to inspire humanity to better themselves.

But then there would be nothing to punch, and we can't have that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It was a tight, simple story told well.

That alone makes it a wild outlier when it comes to superhero films. Even the ones that are widely considered to be great are all over the place thematically and totally overstuffed with disparate characters and plot lines. The Dark Knight has like 10 totally different things going on and only like 7 of them come together at the end with a decent payoff.

Also love that idea of the Ares reversal, being enslaved by mankind. That would've been my poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

viral spiral posted:

That is what I'm saying: Wonder Woman simply used the same structure, plot, and elements of other superhero films (hence mediocrity). I really don't understand how this is controversial to some.

Yeah, dude. But it did it better.

It's not the most original film, but it's unique in that it pulls it off without stuffing a bunch of other nonsense in there. Except the ending, which is my only issue with it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

S.J. posted:

That's... that's what happens though. Ares influence is relatively minimal. Her boyfriend is humanity, who is inspired by her to better himself. Her punching Ares doesn't fix the situation, but she doesn't want to become his pawn or allow him to continue trying to influence humanity. Her fighting Ares is about her, she already inspired the people she was with.

Nah. I mean, that stuff was all there, sure, but it didn't work. They tried to have their cake and eat it too, and it muddies the whole thing to the point where they might as well not have tried. You can't say "It was humanity all along!" but then turn around and go "But it was also me all along!" and have his defeat mean anything at all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Then why was he in the movie at all?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So Armie Hammer talked about his Batman from George Miller's Justice League: Mortal:

quote:

[Batman] was a guy who is severely, psychologically, almost deranged. It was dark and it was really intense and this guy had major trust issues, the whole thing

Which is hilarious because Hammer sounds pretty miscast for that. But he'd make an excellent Adam West style Batman.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lobok posted:

He plays a violent psychotic barely holding it together in Man from U.N.C.L.E.

I loved his performance in that film, but to me it felt like a total cartoon character. I agree that Social Network is fairly close in some places, but that's the farthest I've seen him go and it's nowhere near what he's describing in that quote.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's not choppy, they're going for a stop-motion effect with some of the movement and texture-swapping. It's not like one of the artists hosed up and had their frame rate set to 15fps and they went "Well, too late to fix it now!" It's a really cool intentional stylistic effect. I love it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't forget giving $60 billion to Fox News.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

How are you planning on releasing your BvS cut? I doubt youtube will consider it transformative enough to let it pass as fair use.

There are sketchy backchannels for these things.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Kinberg is also an awful producer. Just awful at everything he touches.

Barry Convex posted:

And at least Deadpool 2 and New Mutants are fairly self-contained, which makes it easier for Fox to evade questions about the future of those characters for now. Dark Phoenix has the misfortune of being part of the main X-franchise, and will almost certainly be the last time we see the Singerverse versions of most of its characters, even though it's safe to say that it wasn't conceived, written, or shot with the intent of serving as an epilogue to this continuity.

IIRC it's specifically intended to be the middle part of a trilogy. Or maybe the first part of a trilogy? Who loving knows with these stupid movies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Plus with Captain Marvel they're doing a 90s period piece. Between that and Ant-Man pushing back the dawn of the superhero to the 60s, I'm thinking the mutants have been there all along, but some sort of event will awaken the X-gene. Having a reverse House of M with Scarlet Witch is a good event as any.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I loved Stranger Things season 1, and while I recognize that there were some issues still think it's quite good. But hooo boy was season 2 just a sloppy and poorly written redo of season 1. They made all the same mistakes that they swore up and down in interviews that they were going to avoid. So much fan service (double down on Eggos! Make a totally unnecessary Barb subplot! Ship those characters!), so much repetition of plot points from the first season (Will is pursued by a monster in the upside down... again!!), so much repetition of visual elements from the first season (Wynona needs something weird hung up on all her walls), so many obvious straight-up lifts from 80s films (yes, we have also sen Temple of Doom and remember the Willie/Indy back and forth between rooms), so many fourth wall breaking meta moments (Brett Gelman's everything). It's textbook bad sequel. And on top of that, the writing was awful. Bad dialogue, characters hiding things from each other for no reason, etc.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 19, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

wyoming posted:

Yeah, and Constantine is obviously Ryan Gosling.

Uh, no. It's Dan Stevens.

Also, all of those designs are bad. It just goes to show that despite what the director says, that Power Rangers fan film was definitely not intended as satire.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Seems like a reputable source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As a white, 30-something middleclass male, I agree.

• Locked thread