Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Neurolimal posted:

I like that scene but mostly because Christopher Meloni aka Angry Cop Dad owns. He's the modern David Boreanaz, in that he has that dumb puppy charisma that emanates from their powerful foreheads.

Man of Steel’s greatest sin was killing off Christopher Meloni and Richard Schiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I know people absolutely loathe John Ottoman's X-Men theme but you have to admit that Avengers poo poo is bottom of the barrel. Worst of the worst, total stinker.

I actually don’t have to admit that at all, and the X2 theme is great?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

Dreamcast = Snyder makes a lot of sense to me.

Snyder does what Whedon’t!

*obnoxious guitar riff*

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I loved Michael Giacchino’s work on Doctor Strange and it was partly because you could hear its temp track influences. There was a lot of Trevor Jones’ Dark City and Don Davis’ The Matrix in there, and that makes perfect sense. When a movie apes shots or scenes from an earlier film, it’s an homage. I feel pretty much the same about Jones and Davis influencing Doctor Strange.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Why are the scenes of aliens attacking in Aliens so much more gripping and believable than the fight with the Troll in Thor 2: The Dark World? After all what Aliens was was just some guys in suits--in fact they only had three complete alien suits IIRC and had to use choppy editing to make it appear there were more. versus the "unlimited palette" of CGI, why is it better?

Because those scenes were meant to convey different things? The firefight in Aliens was meant to be tense and terrifying. The duel in The Dark World was a humorous, anticlimactic denouement. They're completely different tonally.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Right but why does Aliens look "real"---like, you take it for granted those are real guns, real slime on the walls etc.--while the fight scene in Thor looks like a guy in a plastic chestplate grappling a grey hunk of CGI? It's not because Aliens was before CGI, there were plenty of unconvincing special effects before that.

Again, there's a different tone. Aliens is dark, tense action/horror, while Thor: The Dark World is a lighter, sillier action movie. I think you're overstating how unrealistic The Dark World looks, but it's definitely not supposed to convey versimilitude.

Electromax posted:

I don't think anyone is going to bat to defend Thor 2.

It's me, I'm the guy who'll go to bat for The Dark World. It's not great cinema, but it's got enough good points to make it worthwhile.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

A better film would have led up to Wonder Woman being certain that Ares was behind it all only to figure out that Ares wasn't involved (or doesn't exist) and humanity was doing these terrible things all on its own, and that there is nothing she can punch to fix the situation.

I was kind of hoping for a complete reversal, wherein it turns out Ares actually is responsible, but only because the humans had enslaved him and forced him to create their tools of war. Because mankind is capable of greater extremes of good and evil than the gods ever were.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

I guess I should see BvS. I think it's on Netflix.

Doesn’t appear to be.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think we ever see him shirtless do we? I assume they sewed him up for the funeral at least

When he comes back? His whole fight against the League is shirtless.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

dont even fink about it posted:

I mean this thread is predicated on a comic book movie bubble. Almost every poster in the thread is hoping for one franchise or another to fail simply because it offends their taste.

I'm not. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean someone else won't. If seeing more movies like Batman v Superman makes some people happy, what's the harm? I won't be seeing them, and it's not like them merely existing is detracting from my life in any way.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He wants to be human, loves pie, and is really into prog rock.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

hiddenriverninja posted:

man I want to hang out with Captain America :sigh:

I’ll help by bullying you viciously. You nerd.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Burkion posted:

I think we even SEE them after the fact.

Not like, directly and cheering and poo poo that you'd get in a Marvel movie but I think we see them scamper off

We don’t, actually. We neither see nor hear them after the fact. The last we see of that family is them almost being eclipsed by Zod’s eyebeams.

There is a conspicuous puff of black smoke emanating from where they were in the long shot of Lois comforting Superman. :stonk:

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong. :argh:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around just how visually illiterate someone would have to be to think the family in MoS got vaporized, rather than saved :psyduck:

Come on. With the benefit of repeated viewings and freeze frame, yeah, but even the people saying they did survive were iffy about the details. One moment of them crouching amidst some rubble where they’re clearly not the focus of attention? How is it strange that people who’ve only seen the movie once might miss that?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Who gives a poo poo if you see them afterwards or not? It's, like, the entire point of the scene, that he kills Zod to save them. I'm not talking about people missing a shot, I'm talking about a much more basic failure in cognition and ability to process film language.

I mean...Superman kills Zod, and, like that one guy said, he raises his gaze to where that family should be and screams. I didn't read it as the family being dead, but it's not unthinkable that someone might. Like that guy.

GonSmithe posted:

He obviously saved them, that's the entire point of the scene. The movie does not need to have the family RUN UP TO SUPERMAN AND HUG HIM while he's screaming in order to know they are saved. This is why you get dumbass poo poo like the Russian family in Justice League or the WE HAVE TO SAVE ALL THE PEOPLE in Age of Ultron.

Can't there be a middle ground? Somewhere between completely ignoring them and zooming in on them after the fact? Even some foley work so you can hear them existing in the background?

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 12, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I, for one, was very confused by the shower scene in Psycho. I mean, we don't actually see the knife penetrating Janet Leigh's skin and going into her body. Did she just die of a heart attack or something?

We do, actually.

Maybe you're just bad at watching movies.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Really I've seen Psycho many times and don't remember that shot.

I honestly don't know if you're being snarky or not, because this thread, but the shot happens at about 1:50-1:52 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VP5jEAP3K4

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

got any sevens posted:

I forgot, did he stop delivering kids because he found the pile of skulls, or what?

QUILL: Guess I should be glad I was a skinny kid, otherwise you would've delivered me to this maniac.

YONDU: You still reckon that's the reason I kept you around, you idiot?

QUILL: That's what you told me, you old doofus.

YONDU: Well once I figured out what happened to those other kids, I wasn't just gonna hand you over.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Goffer posted:

Also Groot is also not an adorable pacifist in GOTG1

They also ask why Groot is different from the way he was in Guardians of the Galaxy when the answer to that is pretty self-evident; it’s two separate characters.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Scyantific posted:

Just give me a properly done DOOM and Galactus and we'll call it good yeah?

I feel like either James Gunn or Taika Waititi stand a good chance at doing Galactus justice.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gatts posted:

Why am I not getting my Dark Universe Namor punching Lovecraftian horrors from the depths movie?

Maybe if they’d started with that the series wouldn’t have flown straight into the toilet.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

quote:

"As long as we let the audiences know what's coming, we think we can manage that fine."

Well, yes, that would be the purpose of an R rating, wouldn't it?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

disney is full of cowards who will never let us see deadpool's hosed up dick

I mean, we've already seen it once. No need for overkill.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gatts posted:

So what comes after comic book movies? Like, is it just remakes of remakes with a smattering of good stuff until end of time? What's the next trend? Video Game movies?

Fully immersive VR simulations of wildly inaccurate historical events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lobok posted:

Not sure how to convert Lensherr into an appropriate surname (al-Lensherr?) but Erik easily becomes Tarik.

Tariq al Anshar?

• Locked thread