Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I will agree that MoS's jokes were much better than BvS's. The 0 Days Since Last Accident gag is so simple, yet perfectly executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Interstellar and Tomorrowland make a good double feature.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Did his Flash episode air already?

Next week.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I want those Disney drugs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I want to work out with Zack Snyder.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MGS2 was ahead of its time. Kojima predicted Kim Kardashian.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The lone comment at the bottom of this article is very :unsmith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wouldn't they all be toddlers or not born when this is happening?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Whoever they cast, I hope they never film his feet in frame.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oasx posted:

What didn't you like about Taylor-Johnson? I think his role was too insignificant for me to really judge him as a whole, but he was a fine Quicksilver.

I was rather neutral on Taylor-Johnson's performance, but he was really bogged down by how much better the character was done in DoFP a month prior.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Living on the Best Coast rules because midnight releases are at 7pm these days.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Flash movie in 2018 starring Grant Gustin, just watch 4 seasons of the show to catch up! That'll sit well with mass audiences.

Edit:

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait so does Agents of Shield actually tie into the MCU in an actual meaningful way now or something?

I haven't seen Agents of Shield, but I can say that it doesn't with confidence because the writers and directors of Civil War outright admitted to never watching it.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 31, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Keeping the shows and movies separate is good, but the embargo has always been stupid.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What would it take for TV shows to be taken seriously? An HBO type treatment? It seems a lot of people just dismiss TV altogether as an inferior medium but I'm starting to feel like movies are becoming less and less relevant. I think the biggest issue is how many millions of dollars you need just to produce 90-120 minutes of content and get it on the screen. And then that content might just be wildly disappointing. For instance, your average romantic comedy is just not as good as your average romantic comedy series on Netflix

Well, we're talking relative to Marvel shows. TV is taken seriously these days. Mad Men and Breaking Bad started the trend of prestige television and lots of Hollywood actors are jumping at the chance to star in them. Unfortunately, I don't think any show has had that same phenomenon status that those two did.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jeff Goldblum hosting a Gladiatorial fight to the death between Hulk and cosmic beings.

I want to watch this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I immediately remembered Sopranos right after I made that post, but I'd say it was the spark of things to come. I suppose GoT did fill the void BB/MM left.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You're right, I just didn't have HBO, so I've been distinguishing them differently because BB and MM came out at a time when streaming video(and piracy) caught on and made them more accessible to a wider audience.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's so weird that people are so sensitive about the change considering literally no one gave a poo poo about Iron man before the first movie, let alone his rogues gallery.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

One of Avengers' biggest issues is the ridiculous amount of head-room in a given shot.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I seem to recall many scenes where the frame cuts the top of the head off. I actually kept getting annoyed by this while watching.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wild card, Aquaman should take inspiration from Ecco The Dolphin.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

Suicide-chat: anyone else think that it's hilarious that one film ago, Superheros were this new strange thing in the DCU, and suddenly there are like 10 supervillains who've been at it long enough to redeem themselves as anti-heroes?

The idea is that they've always been around in one form or another, but in secret, or covered up, or in the shadows, what have you. But Superman and the Kryptonian invasion made them come out of the woodwork. "But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just want to point out that we, humanity, know more about outer space, than we know about the bottom of the ocean.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

I can't think of a song right now that I want to hear less than something that brings together Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, and loving Imagine Dragons.

Having just watched Batman and Batman Returns recently, it's amazing that as soon as he gets a half a chub for a woman, Bruce Wayne can't wait to tell her he's Batman.

Not true. In Batman Forever, he screams it at the top of his lungs at the circus to save Dick Grayson's life... oh dear.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bet you Reynolds will be like Adam West was for most of his post-Batman career. Donning the suit for store openings and whatnot... except instead of doing it for lack of legitimate work/money, he'll do it unannounced and for shits and giggles.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Like let's start with the fact that DCs characters function much better when they don't exist in a shared universe (because they were never meant to before Justice League #1 came out)

:goonsay: World's Finest had been going on for at least a decade before JLA, and the JSA nearly twenty years. With various team ups between unrelated characters happening all the time in between.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here's something I've been wondering: If Spider-Man 3 had been more popular with audiences, how long do you think they would have kept making movies with MacGuire? Would they have kept it going until Civil War came out? Would they have given us stories of thirty something Spider-Man?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't want a grounded Batman. I want to see the Giant Penny and T-Rex in his Batcave.

Refn DCU movie would be sweet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder what his prefered search engine is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's also some subtext that implies Rorschach himself is gay.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Psycho Mantis!?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

The sequel is even better, though it's not available on Blu-Ray/DVD until next week.

The one benefit of retrofitting Watchmen into the main DCU means Watchmen is retroactively the first DCCU movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wonder Woman just keeps looking better and better.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

To quote Steve Trevor: ...well, that's neat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah yes, the colorful and warm setting, World War I.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In think that line was there to establish a baseline between the two.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

How did the courtroom scene change? Didn't seem any different.

The scene itself is the same, but there's footage of Superman helping people hurt in the blast right after, and making it explicitly clear that Superman wasn't aware of the bomb because it had been lined with lead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

Not to go all tactical-realism, but you'd think lead lining would be a dead giveaway.

Maybe that's why they cut it in the original- either way, it sort of comes down to Superman's mind not really being on looking for potential threats.

He told Lois later that he wasn't even looking. He was to focused on what he was going to say, he put on metaphorical blinders.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Batman didn't view Superman as a human, let alone consider he would have human parents. A cry for mommy would have made Batman think "Good. I'm glad they're killing Glorpella."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

It happened because a writer said it did which seems like bad storytelling to me.

This is a poo poo critisism. All fiction happens because a writer said it did.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Superman's secret identity isn't even that hard to figure out in this universe. It's an open secret in Smallville, we saw the process Lois had to figure it out in MoS, and Lex figured it out no problem. It's barely even a thing in these movies.

Yet Bat"World's Greatest Detective"Man didn't even bother looking into what this alien does in his off time. His crusade has blinded him too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Eh, as you point out, there's multiple different versions of Batman across all media, and even in comics multiple titles focusing on different aspects of the character. Still, you're right because in the DCU, he's only the world's greatest human detective.

Within the context of BvS, Alfred even points out that Bruce Wayne is getting more results than Batman.

• Locked thread