Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I've been following this thread now since you posted it in the crappy construction thread and am quite excited for you.

The nerd in me wants to remind you: Wire the house with cat6. All rooms. Consider even the master bathroom. Bring it all to a central location and have a tiny 19" rack installed, terminated, and tested. Consider installing a multi-room audio system wired to the same rack. When the studs are open is the only time this isn't a huge cost/pita. Even if you don't install the low voltage electronics, having the wires (network, coaxial, speaker) in place lets you do it over time in the future. More is better, especially where ever the TV(s) is going to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Got a meeting with another architect next week set up. They want to meet us at the plot to see it, which is kind of nice. These guys are a slightly larger firm - a 6 person team. And they seem to be a bit more tech-savvy (gasp a facebook page AND a website!) Other than that, not much happening.

So, we're a week into this thread. How's it feel? Too many inconsequential updates? I'm trying to give the feel for the whole process and know a lot of it most people just won't care about.

Keep it coming. Good luck with your meetings.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, especially don't get in with Nest. They're in financial trouble, and if they go under your snazzy wi-fi thermostat will be a brick.

Or even if they are owned by Alphabet and have effectively unlimited financial resources:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/05/revolv-devices-bricked-google-nest-smart-home

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Two of the boundary flags that I had seen many times in the past mysteriously went missing. Coincidently, they were the flags along the border with the grumpy neighbor who keeps showing up at all the meetings. This guys's lawn encroaches on my property by a good 10 feet. Not suspicious at all. Hopefully we'll hit a point where he sees construction as inevitable and starts trying to be a good neighbor. We didn't replace those, after I get my permits, if he's still being a dick I'll get them properly measured out and put a stake right in the middle of this guys lawn.

And hope he doesn't try to sue for adverse possession. Anyone can sue, right or wrong. Good luck!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Achievement unlocked: Planning Board Approval - Happy end to a stressful day.

There is a lot of discussion on slope of driveway. Probably 10 minutes of back and forth. About half the board hates it. About half the board is 'engineer and FD said it's fine, what more can we ask them to do?'

One of the board members, younger guy, really becomes an advocate for us and pushes them through to a vote. Vote's unanimous, we get permit with a few extra minor conditions thrown in for good luck. Builder's ready to go once all paperwork gets in.

Congratulations. Sounds like you should make sure that guy is your friend all build long.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

And... 21 day waiting period is up.

Talked to builder, he's getting the last of the permits wrapped up and already contracting with the silt fence guy to start that.

Hopefully within a week or so I'll have pictures of bulldozers and excavators to show.

Hurray!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Also, got another property tax bill in the mail for the land this week.

At least the improvements line is still $0? :unsmith:

Though I guess the building permit could raise the value of the land.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Now for the easy part! :parrot:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
But what if the concrete is being used to anchor a motorcycle? Jeez you two.

More pictures of earth movers and child labor!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Builder called, footers being poured today.

So.. this brings me around to another problem I haven't really mentioned much. Paying for this drat thing. The bank wouldn't accept the final application for a loan until we had all the permits. Since then, I've been shuffled around to 3 different loan processors over 2 weeks as they have some internal issues. My next payment due to the builder is when the foundation is in, and the floor deck is on. That could be next week. I imagine it's going to take at least a week to close on the loan. gently caress. I've got just enough cash to pay that bill and then I'm broke. It would represent about twice what I was planning on putting in by the end.

In theory that should come back to you when the loan closes?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Because they can. In theory the more butts a poopin means more of everything going down the sewer from all the water consumed in the house, more capacity needed at processing plants, etc. Just because you all choose to poop in a single bathroom doesn't mean there is any less volume.

Also, they can.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Had a couple failures with video so we missed the interesting excavation pieces. Was real sad on that. The rest has been really boring. Here's latest:

https://vimeo.com/194392631

Broken link - maybe set to private? How am I supposed to put this up on one of our monitoring TVs at work if it's not set public!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's weird seeing new houses, with wall cavities that aren't filled with some combination of beer cans, rusty razor blades, dead things, newspaper insulation, and long abandoned wiring

If you can, work with the builder to get pictures of the open walls once everything is roughed in (pipes, power, etc.) Make sure you can see at least one landmark in the room and you are square to the wall to prevent perspective problems. Then you can always know where the studs are relative to doorways and other landmarks for hanging stuff on the walls, nailing through water pipes, etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Let me tell you about the time I had to use a chainsaw to get the bathroom floor up...

We'll let you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Got final underwriter approval at 8:30. Needed to get a document signed by me, my wife, and the builder by 10:00 to close on Friday. Thanks for that ample amount of time banker dude.

Hey guys so I know this is literally my day job but there is no way I could have foreseen this standard document I need everyone to sign. If you could magic it up for me in the next 8 minutes so I'm not late to lunch that would be great. Otherwise no one knows how loans work and it could literally never originate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

The actual document was the disbursement schedule, the thing that says how much they'll pay at each stage of completion. I had asked various people at least 4 times if the schedule we came up with was ok or not, never got an answer. I guess it wasn't since they took a steaming poo poo all over it. I've put enough in to buffer it out to make it work, but if anyone was trying to build and didn't have some extra cash on hand, I don't know what they'd do. Probably a lot of yelling with the builder.

Anyways, within the next 3 weeks I should have $120k from the bank spread across 2 payments. That makes all the math work out and anxiety can swapped out for things like picking tile.

Good luck on picking cool tile of which there is sufficient matching lot # stock.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Roof decking over the second floor of the house, going on the garage now.

Look at that house, all lookin like a house.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Closed on the loan today. Number of signatures for a construction loan is much higher than a regular mortgage. The not-being-able-to-pay nightmares should stop now.

Stopped by the house on the way home, they got almost all the roof decking on before last night's snow storm. The driveway is currently treacherous with ice.

:toot:

Does that mean the construction loan pays you back for some of the costs you have fronted to date to replenish you emergency fund?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Go to town hall. I didn't make enough copies. Also, assessors office can't break a $50.

Go to town hall. Talk to different person. Since the board isn't currently full, I originally had the right number of copies. Also, assessors office can't break a $20 (luckily, we figured that one out).

Sounds like you need a checkbook. :) I can't imagine dealing with local government without one. It provides you with a receipt that your bank keeps track of for you! (Just make sure to write the form number or similar on the memo line.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Holy poo poo adding 3 circuits and 4 outlets can't be more than 2 hours of work and like $100 in materials. I wish I could make $750 an hour.

Especially with no walls currently. We were charged $125 for misc extra outlets on a C/O and we had plaster in the way.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Separately, had the revelation that we can key all 5 exterior doors the same. Little things like that make me happy. In our current house we have separate keys for every door and every deadbolt.

You can key literally every lock you have the same. They make re-keyable padlocks, cylinders are replaceable on cabinets, etc. It's as magical as you are dreaming.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

xwing posted:

As a contractor they just buy them all keyed a like... this is nothing for 5 doors. Even if they were idiots and didn't order them that way someone who knows what they're doing it shouldn't take more than an hour to pull all the locks and rekey them.

I have Medeco locks on my door because I want them to have to break the door to get in and so no one can copy the keys... but I'm a rarity. I've never seen them on another residential house outside of my family.

For contracting: Yes. It's easy for them to just say all hardware keyed alike. But as you add locks to your house (build a shed?) it's easy to keep that keying going.

You're crazy to spend money on Medeco (or any patented keyway) in my book. :v: I had a coworker who had them on his house, biggest pain in the neck when his kid would lose one.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Don't forget your N100 respirator while they're doing that work and until they've gotten rid of the dust. (Aka opened the windows and called it "good enough.")

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

I'm amused at the idea that radiation has to be installed before the bank would give you money. "Here's that processed uranium you ordered!"

Install smoke detectors and insist your radiation is in place and radiating.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
POE switches are the only way to fly these days. If you decide later to install security cameras, baby monitor, voip phones, etc, it's all ready to rock, no $5 burn-your-house-down injectors needed.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Are you doing any external IP camera mounts? Curious what residential new construction solutions there are for 12/24 V and Ethernet.

You don't run dedicated low voltage alongside ethernet, that's what Power Over Ethernet solves. Devices are designed to not need more than that amount of power.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

flosofl posted:

I can never look at those stairs without chuckling at that bannister. I know the building code constrains the design for that style of staircase, but SO MANY right angles to turn a corner.

I'm really curious what the plans showed for that section, or if it was just a generalized small square showing "bannister | -- X" -- | stair" as the code requirement.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

peanut posted:

It's in a very natural position, and easy to slide your hand up/down as you go around the tight corner. I tip-toe up/down the stairs in the dark carrying babby at least once a day. My feet have more trouble than my hands do... but My Big Fat American parents still said our stairs were narrow and steep.

Have you ever used it to run across the exterior wall? If not, will you teach your children this after installing a net on the other side? (Safety third!)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, why not have the door open outward or to the other side? Otherwise it needs a hard doorstop in a place where one is always barefoot and asking to step on it (I don't know if I'd trust one of those little spring guys given how frequently they seem to just sorta fall off their mount), or wishful thinking that someone never slams open the door into the glass shower door (or have it blown by wind, etc.).

Hinge doorstops are for just this problem. A-la http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Satin-Nickel-Hinge-Pin-Door-Stop-15586/202033981

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I've seen those damage doors and hinges, depending on the construction. Really, a lot of choice depend on whether the OP has kids, i.e., "mobile point sources of chaos and housing woe."

Better the door than the glass. Kids gonna break poo poo. Put one on every hinge, spread the force! :science:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

My house only uses this style of door stop, I hate these pieces of poo poo. Adjusting them is just fiddly and sucks but what is worse is that when they stop the door they tend to twist applying a torque on the pin that lifts it up and let's the door open up just slightly farther every time. As a result, all of my walls have dimples from the door knobs. Maybe it's just something about my hinges but the pins just don't work with those stops.

I prefer the type where both sides contact the wall as a rigid piece, those were just the first hit on google. That might help with your problem, unless I'm thinking about it wrong. If they do swing a little further our adventurer is in for a fun game of sweeping up safety glass.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

The fan in the bathroom that stays on... is supposed to stay on. It goes down to 1/3 speed and is apparently some newish code. Anyone ever hear of that?

I've heard of it being controlled by a humidity sensor, but not always on forever. Call the inspector and ask them directly?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Got a driveway.

When do we get a video of you attempting to take that Audi TT up this at speed? :getin:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Shower door went in today

Is that coat hook not going to shatter the door the first time someone walks into the bathroom while the shower door is open? I like the look of the tile and glass, but that makes me nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Nice house.

• Locked thread