Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I'll echo the various sentiments saying it's good to see you back berryjon, but I'll add that I registered an account just to follow this LP.

I started reading LPs years ago with Nakar's Ultima LPs on the LP Archives, and recently stumbled across the Exile 1/2 ones there. I figured it was about time to get an account and finally follow one while it was ongoing.

Given that I only saw Exile played back in the 90's (at a friend's house,) I'm looking forward to seeing how this one ends. Even if the interface is basic (and so blatantly 90's,) it definitely feels like some care was taken with the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

Why is it even underlined at all? I don't remember seeing any previous signs having underlines like that, though italics have been used. It could just be a random editing mistake. Not the first, not the last.

& is probably a special character that causes the next word to be underlined in whatever language Exile 3 was written in. It was most likely intended to be a B&B. :eng101:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Arkanumzilong posted:

Reminds me of nakar's ultima lps
didnt steve make a bu ch of enchanted arms and armor and left them to prowl britania?

Magic armor - I think he tried a glass sword too, but they didn't do anything. One of the many amusing things Nakar did to break U6. I don't remember where he did it, but he did it.

One of my favorite LP series ever, right there. :3:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

I straight up admit in the OP that Nakar's work is an inspiration for me, so I strongly encourage everyone to read the adventures of Steve the Avatar, and her adventures in Britannia and beyond!

I've played Ultima 7 probably about as many times as I've read those LPs.

Incidentally, I suspect that's why I've enjoyed these LPs so much - you've done a good job capturing (or creating, if you prefer) the party banter that I love in a narrative LP, with an additional dash of "tweaking the story." :cheers:

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Huh, independent of this, I started reading Nakar's U4 LP this morning. :tinfoil:

Hoo boy. If you've never read them before, you're in for a hell of a ride. :v: I tend to tell anyone who's even vaguely interested in LPs to read them on the LP Archive. :3:

Edit for suggested edits:

"It's <i>whom</i>, not <i>who</i>."

“Search my bookshelves. You will find what you need eventually. I have a tome which will teach you how to make a weapon to slay the Alien Beasts, the culmination of months of tho tough research on my part. Take it to Sulfras. I wish to waste no more time on mere humans.”

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 18, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Hope they're reinforced their set for the catfight scene where the father's actual wife comes out and starts beating up on daddy and Athron.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

As a Washington transplant, it mostly makes me chuckle. Like, "hey, I've heard of these places..."

It's kinda neat though, like realizing Phil Foglio is from Everett (I think?) after seeing his art all over the drat place - including the Avernum games. I moved somewhere cool! :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

:barf:

:catholic:

“Wait a minute...”

I hate this lovely hotel internet connection. The :barf: emoticon has failed to show up for me twice in a row, but it's obviously there because it's in the quoted post. :argh:

Making me think I have an edit to suggest when I really don't.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

“Beware those who would limit your access to information, for in their hearts, they dream themselves your master.”

I don't know if this was a quote from something other than Alpha Centauri, but this gave me a chuckle and a wave of nostalgia, all in one. :allears:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

“Who are the Shapers?”

EponymousMrYar posted:

That... Is actually a very good question!

Chronische posted:

Surely they aren't the robe-wearing, glowing-eye'd friendly totalitarian mages of a very similar game. Surely!

Funny, I glossed right over the initial Shaper reference on first read since I'm following both LPs. :v:

Interesting, though - have we had any other hints that the various Spiderweb games are tied together? Or is this well-known lore that I'm just not well enough to know?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

No, it's a shout-out. Nothing more. Just like my earlier mention of the Nethergate rebellion ... oh ...in Update 22B!

I still have to work an Avadon reference in somewhere....

:cripes: Or a random reference, yes.

I assumed that the General talking meant that it was only-slightly-modified dialogue.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

And next time, I enter the single worst dungeon in the history of Exile. Worse than even the blind, mapless teleporter maze. There are no words for the horror I am about to put myself through for your benefit.

I find this hard to believe, but given the name, I suspect the gimmick will be annoying all the same. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

“I don't know. I found this in the drawers.”

“...”

“This has to be a mistake.”

More misdirection! :tinfoil:

Makes me wonder who actually IS responsible for all this bullshit. We've got at least the Dragons, Erika, and the Vahnatai now, just from who I remember off the top of my head.

... when was the last time we were at Fort Emergence to report, anyway?

As for the dungeon's gimmick... I was expecting something bullshitty like the entire dungeon rearranging itself from those clangs. The spawn rate would annoy me a bit, but I've got a pretty good tolerance for conveyor belt type puzzles. And I typically overlevel in RPGs, so the spawn rate wouldn't be -that- bad for me.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

The Lone Badger posted:

The question is, are they all working together or did they each individually come up with the 'monster plague' idea?

Or are they all being framed by the real bad guy?

I think it's the ghost of the old Emperor doing it. He was an rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

Because this is the greatest Dungeon in the history of Exile, please allow me to show you two images that encapsulate the sheer brilliance of it:

Those who want to make suggestions for dialogue in this dungeon, please feel free to do so In Spoilers for those who want to keep the surprise intact.

I'm simply going to link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VD4JXUozM and let you get the appropriate inspiration. There are so very many ways you could go with it, and I suspect you can write so much better than I can suggest. :v:

Edit: "Art to the head." *THUNK*

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 27, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

“It's called ART TO THE FACE!”

“Where did that come from?”

“It just seemed like the right thing to say.”

berryjon posted:

“What happened?”

“IT WAS AMAZING! Everybody was kungfu fighting! Those kicks were fast as lightning!”
“That sounds like it was a little bit frightening!”
“But we fought with expert timing.”

“Great, she hit her head. Let's get out of here.”

:allears:

Random Basilisk Count posted:

I'm not sure ANY of the ones here count as random... at least, no more random than the rest of the dungeon. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

“Well, I still feel better about that. Amatures.”

I think you want "Amateurs" there.

berryjon posted:

It's unreachable. It's one tile too far, and you are forced to land on a mountain tile, which is instant death. The only way to get in is to cheat by hacking the game. Which I'm not about to do.

Old games are hella easy to hack with Cheat Engine though. The orb's power is probably just counting up to max or counting down to 0 (more likely) - if you know what the count is and search for it, it's probably a minute to find if you're experienced with it. If you can drop me a save that's near there with the orb, I can see if I can scare up a table for you.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

Sure, I'll look into it. I have the game on another computer though, so I won't be able to send it your way just now. PM's?

PM'd.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Parts Kit posted:

Try to overflow it like you can with gold, see what happens if it loops around to negatives. Based off gold overflowing at about 30k I would guess it's probably an 8 bit int and can hold values from -32,768 to 32,767.

Just imagine, The Precious with a tile number of 32,767 steps. Or maybe even twice that if starting at -1 would eventually let you overflow the other way. :getin:

Already done and returned to berryjon with 255 turns of orb for desired exploration. :v:

You were right about it being 8-bit, but not right about what number range that is - specifically, it looks like the orb counter is an 8-bit unsigned int, and therefore goes from 0 to 255. 8-bit signed would be -127 to 128.

Also, there appear to be some things you can't do while the orb is active. I suspect that "entering a town" or "entering a dungeon" are two of those things.
(edit: Oops, didn't notice this last one was already said.)

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 11, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Parts Kit posted:

Entertaining that it is unsigned but the one for gold isn't. :lol:

Funny you mention that though. Now that I'm sitting down and thinking of it, I can't think of a lot of situations where a 2-byte unsigned int has been used, at least in old games I've messed with. I wonder if it's a quirk of some old programming languages.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Zebrin posted:

Huh... so... Berryjon. With those reactions... And some of the earlier ones from earlier threads...
Is Art the Empress's mother?

I suspect we won't get a confirm-or-deny for this until it's plot-relevant, but... drat. Okay, yeah, I can see where you're getting that.

I'm really looking forward to the epic meltdown Art has at Rentar-Ihrno, myself.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

I ... uh ... just screwed myself over. I can't leave this little alcove of mountains. I can't pass by the higher white-capped mountains, and I can't move past or land on the horses!

Funny, we were JUST talking about this... :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:dance: Yes! Nicely done.

:allears:

I certainly enjoyed it.

Still more to go though!

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

Problems fixed.

Asses being kicked.

Yay!

How was the problem fixed, in case others run into the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

The poor GIFTS. :ohdear:

Karatela posted:

It's like they say: Quickfire is the GIFTS that keeps on giving :supaburn:

:frogout:

berryjon posted:

Thank you all. This LP began on March 6, 2016 and was finished on June 15th, 2017. The start of the trilogy happened on March 16, 2013.

It has been a long four years. I had to take breaks – weeks or even months at a time – but I pulled through in the end. Completed 5 other LPs while I was doing these even!

There are too many people to name, for those who commented and contributed to my work here – you are all recognized. Thank you.

Art's story has ended. There is nothing more to say. I will not be advancing into Avernum 4-6. Certainly not with her at the helm. I have other projects I want to pick back up and finish. And if you know me by now, it's that I will finish what I started.

Thank you all, again. And I'll see you next time.

No, thank you for doing this story. This was awesome, and a hell of a read (even though I only came in at the end.)

• Locked thread