Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The US right now quite needs a Mário Soares, he prevented the country from going into either extreme right or left rather well, it is a shame such people are rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Turkey was never going to be allowed into the EU, it was nothing more than a show off when it started because there have always been veto threats over it, only when it became uncomfortable even supporting the (unrealistic) idea of them joining the eu did the support end.

Also, is France trying really hard to get le pen elected? why the gently caress is someone being indicted even running for president? are they trying to do a hillary clinton but worse?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I passed through Belgium various times on car and train and never actually set foot on it, there never was any reason or temptation to

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I am not sure things could have gone any better today

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Is there a video of the Merkel speech with English subtitles?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My experience with VAt In Portugal is that it punishes the poor and makes them pay more in taxes just to live, but in America where I am right now sales taxes and the various stealth taxes added to everything can be worse than VAT as places don't advertise prices with tax but without, so the price of everything automatically gets jacked up at checkout and most poor people won't see it, it also happens to have the same issue as VAT of penalizing the poor for simply existing.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

screamin and creamin posted:

Yeah, and why are people not being told what their income will be after taxes when they get hired, huh?

If you can't deal with things being different in different countries in ways that take about ten minutes to adjust to, then you should stay home, simple as that.

yeah if you cant adjust to dying due to no health insurance then dont come !!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I am pretty sure the trash you saw dumped is illegal to be dumped, but not that something being illegal makes it stop

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
We didn't really care much about the iraq war as far I know other than being against it, but it going or not didn't affect us.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Should I go to Singapore and get sentenced to death for smoking weed or Dubai and go to prison if I get raped.
Hard choices 🤔

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I am pretty glad about my country(Portugal) results, and yeah the abroad voting was easy

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
A lot of portuguese right wing and alt righters will also say that salazar saved portugal from the war and entirely not mention the colonial war.

They are also usually found of Franco, hell I mean, in Funchal, Portugal some highschool was named "Francisco franco" by the Salazar regime and it somehow keeps the name.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Portugal started going tits up in 2010.
At that time our debt-to-gdp ratio was 96%, this is a catastrophe.
In 2019 our debt-to-gdp ratio is 125% and we are a "success story"
Meanwhile in 2007 our debt was 66% , wonder what the gently caress happened?
Balanced budget are very important, and we certainly have those now, except the 24 billion we pumped into the financial sector don't count for that because ~reasons~.

This poo poo was published in 2012 and yet we are in goddamn 2019 and still we hear the "public debt was the problem" from people who really should know better.

But you are right, allow me to make a correction: everyone in the FIRE sector, our various neoliberal governments, the troika and the IMF should be in chains at the Hague.loving us up for a generation really took a team effort.

I did like how they kept telling us they needed to save the banks so we would still have Portuguese banks not owned by foreign capital, with all the saving in 2019 the only Portuguese bank is the state owned one that was state owned before that.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
All the stuff that was sold to the lowest bidder, the health and education cuts and so much more, it is a miracle that we didn't elect a fascist salazar 2.0, but other european countries however are having quite the fascist rise.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Germany could just, you know, turn the nuclear plants back on and build some more instead of burning loving natural gas shipped from Russia but what do I know.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Bringing Russia back into the fold of European democracy would be a net good, while there is a risk of Russian gas turning off, the long term goal of not having a pariah on the border would be helpful

can't bring russia back to something that it was never a part of

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
having lived in Europe and now america lol if you think rural living will save anything, concentrating people leads to less emissions as not everyone has to drive to pick up a tomato, its benefits far outweigh its cons if you look at japan which is concentrated in mega cities and due to that has thriving forests and quite good air quality in cities.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
It truly fascinastes me how shithole america somehow responds financially to crisis better, like what the gently caress Europe. I went through some lovely times after 2009 in Portugal and was hoping no one else would have to do it in future, but off comes the dutch and the German governments to act like sociopath ghouls.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Brussels complaining about healthcare spending in the middle of a pandemic is beyond hosed up

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the eu and esp the eurozone has 0 future without being federalized, and since that won't happen, brexit is just what is going to happen to all countries eventually

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
NATO doesn't get involved in wars between its own members

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

V. Illych L. posted:

even if it's the fascists doing it. i am myself in principle a proponent of a scandinavian federative state, for example.

Lmao

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I used to say to people in Portugal that relying on tourism forever and expecting it to grow forever too was suicidal, that we needed to diversify and have better social nets.
But for some reason most people thought tourism was this never ending growing industry and if something was bad the good Germans would come to help, the psychopatic ghouls that didn't help on the last crisis are not going to help on the next but for some reason the germans were going to have a change of heart (haha), we are incredible hosed for the future. But living in the US has told me Portugal could be far worse, so there is some silver lining that the super power has set the bar pretty low.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Mid to late 90's when lead gasoline was being discontinued in portugal will never forget the horrible headache and weird sadness whenever my parents went to a gas station.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Just to add to the other portuguese posters, I am portuguese and portugal is hyper-racist, just not in same way as Anglo-American racism or French, I am dark but because of the correct last names and family I never had many troubles, but if I didn't have those and my last name was a random portuguese one, it would be different.
Basically, its a really classist society.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I am headed there

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
for last few pages here I thought I was reading a nazi forum or something, what is wrong with you guys.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

MiddleOne posted:

You're going to have to elaborate

the "but white people are discriminated" posts a few pages back

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Pages 824 and 825.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

orange sky posted:

There's always been a fringe nazi group in Portugal, with Mario Machado at its head, in Portugal. It's loving amazing considering we're "brown" for most of the world.

That was in Lisbon apparently, organized by that same nazi group. We import the worst from the US jesus christ.

Most of the anti-vaxxers we have in Portugal and Religious crazies are either ex-portuguese immigrants here in the US or Us cit that move to Portugal and some Portuguese for some reason go "they are american and know better than us"

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

KoldPT posted:

in the last few weeks, a black man was shot to death by a racist in the middle of the street, causing the "new" right party to support the murderer; then the parties of the "traditional" right talked about doing a coalition with that party; then there was a protest with tiki torches and death threats to multiple left-wing MPs and antiracists.

i don't think the old rules apply anymore

Most adult age people in Portugal now have no idea how bad it was in the novo estado and history classes do a bad job on telling the horrors of it because they don't want to show the war crimes we did on the colonial war. That combined with the Portuguese qanaon and facebook trolls you have quite a lot of the right quietly telling between themselves how great Salazar was and how those communists ruined the empire.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
In Germany the US ambassador admitted to be supporting far right groups, it could be the same in Portugal, it is worth mentioning that the rich people today are the exact same in estado novo, and they like to stir poo poo up now and then to scare the left.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
At this point current EU members minus Poland and Hungary should just unilaterally should en masse create new parallel institutions to those of EU and leave EU proper and then Poland and Hungary can scream at each other alone at the European Parliament.

And don't give members veto power again dumb fucks.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
There is no reason for the EU to continue to exist as is with a literal Putin lite in hungary and poland being more dangerous for lgbt than rural Louisiana

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The EU likes to lecture the US on treatment of immigrants and refuges but the poo poo I seen in most of Europe and my home country of Portugal makes the US seem good towards immigrants (it's not).

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The US welfare system is mostly locked out to immigrants, regardless of them being legal or not, aside from refuges that get some protections that are not much.
The end result is labor exploitation as immigrants can't afford to negotiate and human trafficking, maybe opening up the system would make it collapse but it is still inhumane to lock it out. The countries where refuges and economic migrants are coming from with aid and helping a social state instead of supporting dictators would make that immigration vanish overnight, but foreign help doesn't get votes.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Nilbop posted:

What part of the Portuguese border are people arriving at where coyotes are eating them while they wait?

Portuguese Immigration police (SEF) is pretty good at deportation, torture, murder and rape.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Most ex Portuguese colonies I can easily move to as a Portuguese Citizen, even Brazil and Macau, not so much for other European countries and their ex-colonies though.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Portugal does it for the people of goa born before 1961, and for people in east-timor born before independence in 2002, which I though was pretty decent.

Yeah, Portugal at least did something right on the macau return and let anyone who didn't feel comfortable staying under chinese rule move to Portugal or anywhere in the EU with a Portuguese passport, unlike the british with their 20 different citizenships and a hong kong passport that didn't let them live in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Honest Thief posted:

Dems should learn with portuguese gov, they're set on #abolishingICE after a man died by immigration agents' hands, only they're rolling its functions over into the police

CBP/Customs and ICE are all 3 hosed in different ways but they would just straight be open firing on people at the border if they were run like US police.