Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Excuse me, but why the gently caress are your pollsters publishing ONLINE POLLS? I mean in my recent endeavours in the UKMT I learned that pretty much your whole political system is run by people who have a very strange concept of reality, but ONLINE POLLS? No wonder all your pollsters go the general election results wrong.

That's a quirk of this particular referendum. Normally the polls are done by phone. The problem is that people regularly lie to the pollsters here because they're aware their opinions are garbage, to the point where we have real headlines like "British public wrong about nearly everything, survey shows."

British public dumb, news will be at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The public being uninformed is very different from Shy Tories

I am aware, but I like to always sow the seed in peoples' minds that shy tories are shy because they are aware that Toryism is a garbage ideology used only by non-mammalian fauna.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

waitwhatno posted:

Quick, someone overlay the unemployment rates of some cherry picked countries with "reforms"/random poo poo for the last 10 years, then cherry pick a couple events that back up your wild claims and ignore any other coincidental correlation that would contradict them. Journalism!

2003: US + allies invade Iraq, German unemployment rate goes down
2012: Benghazi, Spanish unemployment rate goes down
2015: Turkey shoots down Russian plane, Italian unemployment rate ???

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair to the Jeb! campaign issue, the problem was his Super PAC, Right to Rise, which isn't officially allowed to collaborate with the candidate, was full of idiots and grifters who had no idea what they were doing. Money helps, but incompetence hurts harder.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sadly in the UK or population are pretty credulous. While my link about British people being wrong about nearly everything is unfair insofar as political leanings go, it does show they are massively uninformed. Doesn't help that the two biggest newspapers lie out their arse on a daily basis and no-one appears to notice this.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So uh, was that a serious post or not? I was on probation so I couldn't quote it, perhaps lucky for you? :v:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think I prefer this thread's discussion on Britain leaving the EU to the bollocks in our national media.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah yes, that 1980s policy accurately reflects the current political situation. For more we turn to our Soviet Union correspondent, Vladmir B. Fictional.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Aside from all the times that it was voted down in referenda, renegotiated, or simply quietly ignored, you mean?

For this lack of accepting revisionism you'll be sent to the gulags in the still-apparently-existing-Soviet-Union.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Nice schisophrenia, dude.

Ah, the coveted 'misuse of word' and 'misspelling of word' dual.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Spacewolf posted:

For the Americans in the thread...define bacon?

I know there may well be a difference between its use here and there...But I forget where the difference is.

No, it's the same thing. There appears to be a perception that bacon from Britain tastes nicer but by and large we get ours from Denmark and the Netherlands, so if anything it's merely theirs which is nice.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Of course, as I said previously, British pork has a 25% hepatitis E infection rate, so hope you enjoy the aesthetic of your local hospital.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I did not vote for the Pigfucker General!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So who's the leader of AfD and does he also have a hilarious countenance?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

waitwhatno posted:

You decide:

Bah, that's not even a man.

Shabby hairstyle though, so that's one box checked. Or as it will soon be known, Czeched.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why is the map written in Terrorist?

e: I have been informed that this is what Arabic looks like.

CrazyLoon posted:

Why is it written in Nazi?

e: I have been informed that this is what German looks like.

drat it y'all I shouldn't be laughing at this.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goethe42 posted:

b. ...calling Buttery Pastry a German because of his (ironic) racism

You know, the sad thing is you got offended for the wrong reason.

BP was joking that the Arabic script on the map was 'Terrorist' (a stereotype typical of racists who think terrorism is inherent to Arabic speakers), there is also a small phrase in German on the same map, and CrazyLoon joked that it was 'Nazi' (a stereotype typical of racists who think that Naziism is inherent to German speakers). He wasn't calling BP German.

That said,

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

In other News Nazi-like party AfD is poised to make great gains in the federal elections! Wow! Such irony!

Eh, I'm not particularly worried yet, the BNP got very popular for a while in Britain but the scrutiny of a few electoral gains (at lower legislative levels) led to them going into decline. The sentiment won't go away, though, so that's a worry.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

And here is what David Cameron was focused on during this summit, Tampon VAT. For some reason it's bad if you tax them, because women need them regularly. By that logic a lot of stuff should not be taxed, so I'm not sure why this is such a big deal.

It's specifically that tampons are more expensive because they're legally classed as a 'luxury' item, which anyone who's ever spoken to someone on their period would know is patronising bullshit. Cameron got a lot of grief over this considering our economy's in the shitter and the price of something needed regularly matters.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

waitwhatno posted:

Jesus Christ, that's the kind of argument that anti-EU advocates managed to come up with? Seriously, what's is wrong with people on this planet?

Well, it's the only line of attack he could do anything about. The more realistic concerns such as parliamentary sovereignty and immigration are poo poo Cameron can't do anything about, so he's taken the only thing he can potentially score a win over.

In the overarching debate, this is small poo poo no-one cares about, but for the people affected it's a nice outcome. Nothing more.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Congratulations on escaping from Assad's brutal regime, now enjoy Erdogan's moderately lovely one!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Randler posted:

Is this a classification as a luxury by the EU or by the UK?

EU, apparently. I'd always assumed it was a UK thing until this now years-long complaint.

Also good to see after weeks of reasonable posts Guassian Copula is back on the Lebenunwertes Leben take on the refugees.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Randler posted:

And where I might find this EU classification?

Because there is no distinction regarding luxury items in directive 2006/112/EC and from what I gathered during my last cup of coffee, zero-rates for indirect taxes predate UK entry into the EU. The latter being grandfathered into the VAT regime post-EU membership. Looks more likely that it is an UK classification that Cameron blames on the EU in order to rally up support back on Chav Island.

Oh, and just in case, even your state-controlled broadcasting accidentally reveals that it is in fact a classification amde by the UK in the full knowledge that later revisions were generally not possible. :colbert:

Haha, of course it bloody was. There's no level of depravity our leaders won't sink to.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Nah, the far more likely reason is that Cameron wanted to have another "victory" in Europe to show that he can reform the EU and that Britain should vote to remain.

Absolutely, this is purely propaganda, and if we had a real press media it would be laid bare.

CrazyLoon posted:

rofl...see, this is why I'm ultimately for the UK staying in the EU. I mean, if they leave they'll only have each other to blame and who knows, that Scottish independence might actually happen then for real (lord help us all).

Honestly us only having ourselves to blame instead of blaming the current scapegoat (currently the perfidious Slav, soon to be the treacherous Balkinite) would be a boon to the political landscape.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Truly the economic union experiment is a roaring success.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't get that logic. It's like saying "surgery is bad" because you were unable to save someone who got his head blast off with a shotgun.

Conversely, you're arguing that someone should cure leukaemia with leeches. Bloodletting (austerity) has its place. Greece is showing that it is not working.

Greece needs fundamental reform, but right now your patient has turned green, emitted a funny smell and started speaking French for no reason. At what point do you stop applying leeches?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

What IS the fundamental reform, how can it be implemented without external pressure, and how would it be affected by Greece's inability to service its debt?

The first is partially what's ongoing - the reform of the pension system being a classic example. Second, referencing external pressure makes little sense - do you think Greece is enjoying its economy being in the shitter? That they won't try anything sane that would remove them from that? As to the third, austerity has done nothing in a positive direction to change their ability to service its debt. It is not going to service its debt under the current fiscal system.

I mean if you have a way to to make austerity magically poo poo money out of the unicorn's rear end feel free to help me out here, but I'm seeing a lack of investment both from domestic and external creditors helping keep the economic desert dry.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Please tell me the course of action that would have been preferable in your mind.

Some form of investment. I am aware that Wolfy is buying out some of Greece's public infrastructure, but this is doing little in the way of improving the economy because changing the owner does nothing to create demand when the economy is tanked.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Am I meant to assume that the two of you are credulously telling me that as long as Greece says all the right magic words and signs all the correct magic talismans that somehow the austerity rainbow will push out a massive surplus that eases their debt and recovers their economy? Because I'm going to be honest I'm struggling to remember a time in history where that worked on an economy in the toilet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

If the Greeks don't like that, they should start lynching anybody complicit in running the country over the past 30 years.

Well, to take Effectronica's gimmick, I can't say I couldn't blame them...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pizdec posted:

The same account now describes them as having RE-entered as refugees.

So once again trying to demonise refugees by pretending to be them?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

He would just use that as an excuse to bomb Kurds somehow

"When you think about it, 'Kurd' sounds a bit like 'Curve' - we must eliminate this blasphemy against the teachings of Allah."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Both got scored with 4 points (on a scale of 0-6), even though Germany is clearly more liberal, because 18% (that's the share of jobs in Germany in businesses with 1-9 employees) are generally exempt from most rules.

Without showing a side-by-side comparison of the special protections vs. the regular employment protection legislation, you cannot in good faith claim it's more liberal. The metric may be bullshit, but your post doesn't show that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's a tragedy that Troika just didn't default. It's Greece's only logical way out of their mess.

Unfortunately the Eurozone had a ridiculous rule where once joined you're not allowed to leave, and defaulting would cause that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, there was a standing offer from Schäuble for Greece to default and leave the Eurozone. The Greeks did not accept it.

When was this?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Last year before the referendum, I'm not entirely certain when the offer was first made (sometime during Varoufakis tenure). Schäuble even offered them €50 billion in severance pay. It's actually pretty easy, if you quit the Eurozone, you can get a debt haircut. If you stay, you can not.

So he'd offer them €50bn that they'd then just lose in the subsequent bankruptcy?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

No, that money was so that they don't have to starve after the default.

Sounds like they should have taken it, but since it's Shitwolf I bet it was a poisoned chalice.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blowfish posted:

The word "islamophobia" is used as shorthand for "hating muslims (because gently caress brown people)", not for "hating aspects of islamic religious organisations without having a problem with individual believers".

The word would technically be better suited to the latter but it already ended up meaning the former.

The people who use 'Islamophobia' tend to be the latter decrying the former for making GBS threads up the discussion with their poorly-conceiled dogwhistle. You may well have legitimate concerns over the proliferation of Salafist and Wahabbist ideology, but the problem is you can find yourself sharing a stage with people who just want the 'muzzies' dead. Instead what tends to happen is people with little understanding of the situation just assume that the ubiquitous Muslim horde can be examined as a single entity and ignore that, just like how Judaism and Christianity went from being brutal and warmongering religions to relatively benign outside exceptions like the United States, Islam is perfectly capable of doing the same. Mostly the problem exists in the form of the House of Saud.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, I don't think Judaism has changed all that much, as it never was brutal and warmongering outside of "leave us alone or else JHWH is going to make you regret loving with us".

Better hope your daughter has never ridden a bike then, because Deuteronomy 22:21-22 says if there's no blood on the sheets she should be stoned to death by the village men.

Check out 22:23-24 too, which says if an engaged virgin is raped in the city she must be stoned to death too, because she clearly wasn't trying hard enough to get away and therefore she enjoys it.

As to your proselytising, perhaps, but it also says in Deuteronomy 13:1-11 that apostasy should be punished by stoning.

New Testament wise you're right, it teaches kinder things, but 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 makes sure that women know their place.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also, slightly different topic to my previous post:

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, I don't think Judaism has changed all that much, as it never was brutal and warmongering outside of "leave us alone or else JHWH is going to make you regret loving with us". They are also the only Abrahamic religions that does not have a mission to proselytize.

As for Christianity, it was created as a religion of peaceful resistance against oppression and was perverted by people who wanted to use it for brutality and warmongering, while Islam was created by an Arabic warlord who used it to organize his warmongering and brutality. That does not mean that the House of Saud and the Muslim Brotherhood are not to blame for the current mess, but there is a clear difference between those 3 religions.

It's okay when Moses did it, but it's bad when Muhammed did it?

Remember when Elisha killed a bunch of children for calling him bald? No? 2 Kings 2:23-24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Totally in line with the laws at the time and I'm not aware of a single Jew that wants to stone people anymore. Maybe you can tell me about those?

It is seen as betraying your family and people, but again, please show me the Jews that still believe that people should be stoned. Moreover those laws are only about how Jews should act and behave and not about how Jews should force everyone else to behave.

Actually I was hoping you would ask me to show you examples of Jewish people advocating it, because by this you agree that the text of the book has little relevance to the practices observed in the modern world. So, we can take it that the text of the religious book is no guarantee of dangerous, illiberal or violent behaviour.

To this extent, why is Islam singled out as a religion of repressive laws that cannot liberalise in the modern world?