Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For the love of God I didn't want to say anything but I want this making GBS threads spree to end, check his rap sheet, he's a serial troll. Report and move on.

If Britain isn't the first to leave the EU, which country do you think will be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

YF-23 posted:

I could see it being Greece is the EU and IMF maintain a hardline stance, but I could also see countries like Poland or Hungary going too far right to handle being in the EU (though the EU would probably just dip to the right itself instead). Comedy option: AfD wins the next German election.

Yeah to me it's a toss-up between Hungary, Poland or Greece. The former two for going off the deep end or Greece for going deep into the red.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

No, they aren't.

Heads of government (aka Prime Ministers) are elected in many EU countries, but not in all of them, and I've never heard that non-prime ministers, such as finance ministers, were elected anywhere.

I think he's referring to them being elected to their country's parliament, as opposed to someone hand-picked by the government at random.

Basically if they are in the party voted into power that counts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

Emmanuel Macron (born 21 December 1977 in Amiens) is a French senior official, politician and former investment banker

Aurgh.

Point taken.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

direct democracy is a very dumb idea that very seldom produces good results and are in almost all recent cases abused by populists to further their agenda to the detriment of everyone but themselves.

Bloody Hitler, Mussolini, Kim Il-Sung and Mao, if it hadn't been for that damned direct democracy!!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm not sure why you believe Hitler, Mussolini and Mao to be recent examples of direct democracy.

More a joke since you mentioned ancient Romans and Greeks and then used 'recent' - being a relative word it could comparatively refer to the past 100 years. For once I'm just gently ribbing on ya.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For what it's worth Plato did say that corrupt democracy was the worst possible form of government. Of course, he never got to live under a dictatorship when guns and cameras and tanks had been invented, so he'd probably change his tune a little given modern technology.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Managed to take some time off from bravely facing down the Soviet hordes I see punakone.

Also that's hardly racism given a) Loon is Slovenian b) he's making fun of OhYeah only using vague, hollow statements instead of concrete proposals.

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 11, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Traumatic? I'm making fun of you for when you leapt into this thread as soon as the Belgian terrorist attack occurred to complain about your guns while the bodies were still warm, citing the need to fight off the Russian menace.

And yes, I'm well aware that making fun of someone's language ability can be used in a racially charged way, however in this case a southern Eastern European was making fun of a northern Eastern European for speaking in useless platitudes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

I haven't seen a European on here that doesn't hate gypsies.

FWIW I fully respect and support the Roma, and have absolutely no known ancestors of the Roma people (so no cause of bias towards).

Ligur posted:

Case in point, they needed to shatter the nation to find some semblance of piece. Exactly what I meant.

This is one of those times where the misspelling makes a good pun. And for punakone's sake this is not me insulting the speaker's English capability as natives make this same homophone switch probably more commonly than foreign speakers.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

And yet, multiethnicism is more the rule, historically. If we start from Jeanne d'Arc as the beginning of French national identity, France has been a multiethnic state for longer than a nominally monoethnic one, and more stable too.

Reminds me of when Stewart Lee made fun of UKIP for the idea that Britain is a pure monoculture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HMhWB95ldQ

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

The US were directly involved with overthrowing democratic governments in Syria in 1949 and Iran in 1953. In addition the US have been and still are propping up various dictatorships in the Middle East, the foremost examples of which would be Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Pakistan and Iran prior to 1979.

Also financed and trained the Mujihadeen who would later repay the favour by bombing the WTC in 1993 and 2001.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I admit that I'm not exactly reading regular reports of French politics but he does seem to have primarily done gently caress-all in his time in office. Similar to Cameron here in the UK.

This isn't to say the governments they run aren't loving things up royally (see: austerity UK, French labour laws) but both of them just seem to be sitting in their Big Boss Chair with their feet up content that they're in the history books and nothing else need be done.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Huh? Cameron's fought and won one major referendum that would've changed the status of the country, and is preparing to contest another, he's overseen a major top-down reorganisation of the health service and is planning one of the school system, and he's running a government that's cutting public spending by ~9% of GDP, radically shrinking the state. There are many things you can accuse him of, but quietly sitting back and doing nothing isn't really one of them.

I appreciate the Tories do all blur together but the person in charge of the health service was Lansley, followed by Hunt, schools was Gove, now Morgan, and the spending cuts are by Osbourne. Yes, he is the prime minister in charge of these secretaries but the only thing I recall him personally doing of note under his tenure was passing gay marriage. Everything else he just idly waves his arm at the relevant minister.

The referendum wasn't won by him for all of his smugness about winning, and if he survives this one it won't be because of him. Very few people in Scotland before and in the UK now were/are sitting on the fence about the referendum and look to Cameron for clarification. I agree he can put effort in but he rarely if ever drives policy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Merkel has given the go ahead for the prosecution of the German comedian who made fun of Erdogan over his thin skin http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/15/angela-merkel-agrees-prosecution-comedian-erdogan-poem

I hadn't seen the clip and it appears the link on Vimeo has been taken down. Not sure if it's satire or actual straight-up insults since, well, all videos pertaining to it seem to have disappeared from Google. The article suggests it was playing on what was or was not acceptable to say (or even true).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

Simply put, there is no sense in having Syrian refugees move past their neighbouring countries (where the language and culture is similar)

2.7 million Syrian refugees are currently registered in Turkey. Syria is a majority Shia country that speaks Arabic, Turkey is a majority Sunni country that speaks Turkish. Please explain how these cultures are similar, and please try not to mention basket weaving or snake charming.

And given that a lot of the diaspora are fleeing from religious extremists, I'd say moving to nominally secular countries like France or Sweden makes sense considering if I was being persecuted for being atheist the last place I'd want to go is a) another Islamic theocracy or b) a Christian fundamentalist country like Hungary or Poland.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

Iraq is majority Shia. Syria is Sunni.

Yeah sorry I believe it's the majority of the diaspora is Shia, not Syria itself. I forgot sometimes because of Assad's Awalite background. Which is probably of course why Daesh had such a large recruiting pool given the leader's the opposite of the majority faith.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

To be fair, there is a vast difference in the treatment that refugees get in Turkey/Lebanon and Europe. If Germany/Europe could simply establish refugee camps and have the UNHCR/WFP and NGOs care for the refugees, things would be different.

More camps burned down by locals? :v:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There are a few travelers who absolutely don't want to integrate at all but by and large the problem occurs because, as travelers, they don't want to settle down in any one place, so institutions that require you to have a fixed address etc. are undesirable.

I think in Spain there was a pilot scheme where this was taken into account and Roma crime rates dropped as well as school attainment records jumping up quite high. Someone from Spain feel free to tell me that was bunk, though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Liberal_L33t posted:

So far evidence would seem to bear out the assertion that a large fraction of them, if not a majority per se, are deeply religious fundamentalist Muslims.

That's interesting since it's not what I was led to believe, can you link the data?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

It's Liberal_l33t dude. He thinks every Muslim is a fundamentalist. Like Dawkins level paranoid delusion.

Hence why I asked to see the data. I doubt it exists but I'm happy to be wrong.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A lot of Green Parties seem to be that way - and frequently have a large collection of moonbats spouting anti-science nonsense.

GMO and nuclear power come to mind.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The British Greens predate Chernobyl but have the same distrust. I once watched their party conference debate nuclear a few years back and it had people in their 60s and 70s screaming like children when the guy tried to suggest looking at the safety/lower waste output of new-generation reactors.

He basically had to wait every few sentences for the shouting to die down.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

I can at least understand why Greens are against nuclear power to some degree, but why do they recruit people that seem to be radical Muslims? I don't see the policy overlap there.

Presumably it's an actual case of 'anti-racism' going too far and them allowing harmful opinions in because they patronisingly believe that as a Muslim they can't help it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Actually from what I understand it's just the solitary confinement that's the violation. I don't think they're under any obligation to let him upgrade from only being allowed to play Herdy Gerdy and Crash Bandicoot*.

*I do not know what games he's allowed, just that he whined about only having a PS2 with no shooting games, the giant baby

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

The left is worst than the right on this in many cases, surprisingly enough.

Britain's right-wing government is currently begging China to pay the French to build us a new reactor, which has a fixed unit-cost of twice the current unit cost per kWH. Even the pro-nuclear lobby are telling the government to back away from this stupid loving idea.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

Well as Austrian I can shed some light on this:

Thanks for this, it's interesting to see how things are going on in Austria. What's the platform of the independent candidate?

Also I know the parallels really aren't there but I'm loving the optics of an Austrian far-right-winger rising to power on populist anger.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It seems like a bit of a poo poo-show, all-in-all. With any luck the Greens will manage to pull a victory out of their arse but it looks like your country might well be joining the "idiot public voting in terrible candidates based on national myths and lies" brigade. We in Britain will let you sit at our table. Until Brexit, of course, then you'll have to sit with Poland.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

I guess the major problem are the deep rifts between the conservative voters, those who voted for Griss and the ÖVP candidate Khol, and the Green party.

Unlike Le Pen it seems as if Hofer will be able to count again on the votes he received during the first election run. While VdB needs the votes of the conservatives and the social-democrats (and he already had a lot of those during the first run) to succeed. And it is quite unlikely that the Griss and ÖVP voters will lend him their voice. Some of them will, but I think a good portion will either not vote at all or maybe even vote for Hofer instead.

It's really close this time and no matter how it ends, it marks the end of an era and the beginning of a new one. The good thing about one of the most heavily criticized features of the country, namely it's completely over-sized administrative apparatus, is that it things keep on functioning, even if the government is defunct.

drat, so I'm guessing that socdems are more likely to go Green and CCs more likely to go Hofer, and likewise that Indie's bloc will go Hofer. Given that the socdems failed to threshold for round 2 I have a feeling a Green win would require half the country forgetting the date.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

UKIP's party political broadcast that raised the spectre of Turkey was so blaringly racist from the get-go that all I could do was laugh because it sounded like something somebody would make as a parody of UKIP to make them look racist.

Not sure it did very well though because all the information was closer to the end.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'd have thought his glaring red-title might have given you a hint. :v:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are you telling me a person in favor of the UK leaving decided not to use Switzerland and Norway as examples, and instead went for a bunch of post-Communist countries?

Switzerland and Norway believe in taking care of their citizens. Countries used to totalitarian dictatorship and horrible poverty are more apt for his ideal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Austrians, 2016: please stop calling it the Austrian School we don't want to be associated with these slobbering morons.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Riso posted:

At the same time Obama seems to be the best unintentional Brexit campaigner.
Americans just can't help themselves. They have to intervene in everyone elses business.

Obama's intervention led to a +10 percentage point boon for the Remain campaign.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Simple. It's an online poll. If online polls were accurate then Scotland would currently be an independent republic.

Looking at the poll of polls by the Financial Times you'll see if anything a jump around Obama's intervention. I'll admit it wasn't 10pp, but I was more saying it as hyperbole to your hyperbole.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Mason is calling for action against Austria without regard to the president's actions.

Hmmm yes I can't see any reason to be pre-emptive about a far-right Austrian being elected to the highest office.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Are you suggesting that the Austrian people are genetically predisposed to being a Hitler?

Eh, 2 in a century isn't that common. Britain has produced several more Hitlers per century, just our dumb electoral system has thankfully prevailed in keeping them out of power.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

You could probably find people in India who would count Churchill as one.

He's one of the people I was thinking of. If that rear end in a top hat had won the 1945 election Britain would be nothing like it is today. For the worse of all of us.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah yes, the Iraq War, exactly what any reasonable person wants tied to their legacy.

Just look at the rousing success the result is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blowfish posted:

I don't think you understood the article summary. Sampaio is calling out Barroso for being an idiot who supported the Iraq war

Ohhh, I took it as Sampaio bragging about supporting the Iraq War. Oops.