Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Death is Certain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
arretez les bateaux

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/elenacmontanez/status/710853295657652225

Having done that, they will be required to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest.... with a herring!

Hercules: can I have another go at the Hydra instead

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

YF-23 posted:

I'd like to think the primary motivation here is fear rather than support.

Afraid of who?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There's "being afraid to report" and "pelting media cars with rocks". It's not a stretch that a place that produced a lot of isis recruits would also have isis sympathizers living there.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
well that's hosed up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

LemonDrizzle posted:

The chancellor of Austria has resigned after his party crashed and burned horribly in the presidential elections, and people in his party are calling for closer cooperation with the populist/anti-immigrant FPÖ: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/09/werner-faymann-quits-as-austrian-chancellor

social democrats with extreme nationalists, social nationalists if you will

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tesseraction posted:

Why does the state of emergency need to be extended at this point?

I'm guessing the Euros 2016 play a big part.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i groaned

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Libluini posted:

Back when I was in the Bundeswehr, one of the buildings I had to guard had a poster detailing something ludicrous like 20 stages of alert for Germany. We were at stage 3 at some point, but our effort in Afghanistan raised this to 5 for nebulous reasons. Over the years, I hazily recall our dear leaders talking about raising the terror-alert one or two times. So if this is true, Germany is now at terror alert 7 (out of 20).

The Terror Ladder is the most dangerous climb

Charlie Mopps posted:

In the Netherlands the 1 and 2 cents are also gone, and i dont think anyone complained. The only complaining i heard once was when German tourists paid with them, the shop owner had no place to store them in his register. :lol:

more evidence that Germans are the wurst

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mike12345 posted:

Also, with Austria, pointing a middle finger to the elites is half the appeal of voting for the far right.

actually that's pretty much the case all over.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
let the good times roll

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
moi président de la république

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pluskut Tukker posted:

It does seem kind of appropriate that thanks to mr. Stalinesque moustache, the only newspaper you could buy in French kiosks yesterday was the communist one.

good

(not that anyone still buys newspapers)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
world war three, it's going to be france vs germany again.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean in theory the league of nations is probably supposed to deter that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

it's loving hot in Europe I'm torn between going out for coffee with a friend and staying at home drinking sixteen rum cocktails while capitalism rips itself apart at the seams around me as more and more beautiful hipsters throw away their degrees to commit themselves to my coffee

is it hot. here it feels like december except without heating because landlords only give a gently caress about what's written on the calendar.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tesseraction posted:

We also make fun of their HON HON HON accents to hurt their feelings.

thats ok we make fun of your bad food

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

WMain00 posted:

Contemplating moving to Finland or Luxembourg since my girlfriend has family there. Web developer, looking for jobs. Know some French and willing to learn/brush up on it quickly

I'm sorry but we cannot allow more refugees in, spreading their dangerous ideology.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Junior G-man posted:

LMAO Verhofstadt is currently holding a press conf saying that the answer to this is increased confederation of Europe.

he's right.

USE! USE!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
When magic comes back to our world, Irish speakers will become elves

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pissflaps posted:

The 'hardcore English' want Scotland to achieve independence.

what do the hardcore Welsh desire?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

that seems like a not good idea.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dawncloack posted:

It's the law of talion.

A new normal for a new normal.

This cartoon is irrelevant cause those are French people comitting these attacks. "We" didn't bomb "their" civilians, we are their civilians.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Speaking of independence movements

http://www.thelocal.fr/20160728/corsican-militants-threaten-to-hit-back-against-islamist-radicals

quote:

A militant splinter group on the French island of Corsica has warned Islamist extremists that they would respond to any attack that took place on the island.

In a statement sent to Corsica’s newspaper Corse Matin the group FLNC October 22, a splinter group from the main separatist group the National Liberation Front of Corsica (FLNC), said any attack would trigger “a determined response without any qualms”.

The splinter group also warned the French government that “if a tragedy were to happen it would bare substantial share of responsibility because it knows who the radicals Islamists are in Corsica.”

"The aim of the Salafists is clearly to install Isis policies here and we are prepared for it," the group said.

The militants, which have been involved in bombings and organised crime over the years, also stated that they had foiled a terrorist attack on the island back in June, that was planned to have been carried out in a public place.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

YF-23 posted:

Of course he's not, but Europe, and specifically France, are being explicitly targeted for their own participation. And the French response to every single terrorist attack in France is "ok, we'll drop more bombs". I brought Hollande up not because he's singularly responsible, but because he exemplifies the kind of foreign policy that is perpetuating this situation.

Foreign policy isn't the problem, domestic policy is.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 9, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

YF-23 posted:

Point taken about domestic policy, I'm not going to try to undersell its importance, but you cannot honestly say that French foreign policy doesn't belong to the root of the problem. Foreign interventions in the middle east have produced the #1 terrorist training site, and however way you cut it France has worked really hard to be part of that.

How do you explain attacks in Bangladesh, Indonesia, Tunisia...?
Our foreign policy isn't at the root of the problem, the foreign policies of other countries last decade is. Remember we didn't got to Iraq in 2003.
We always were going to be involved, against our will, just like other countries in the region or with heavy Muslim populations suffered consequences from the Iraq War.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 9, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DarkCrawler posted:

Were not guiltless. Between climate change, the exploitation of international companies, de-colonization gently caress-ups, clandestine and open support of dictatorships and endless military interventions and occupations we have contributed to the chaotic bloody situation in this countries. This is not a controversial or new fact to anyone who is not deluded.

Were still getting off easy. It isn't even the first time Europe had dealt with this poo poo and holy gently caress are we better off now. Just deal with the realities of the modern world and our place in it and find your stress lowering by the day!

I'm sure this is what terrorists tell themselves before they go on to gun down cafés, bomb stadiums, brutally stabs and tortures a Westerner. They are all guilty, they deserve it, it's their fault.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rappaport posted:

Speaking of racism in Europe,

This, uh, sounds kinda bad? Is politico.eu a reliable news site?

Merci Merkel

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
America already has walls, it's called the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.

edit: and Britain has the Channel.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Friendly Humour posted:

What I don't really get is how the Ligurs and Velkests of the world rationalise the fact that they're doing exactly what Daesh wants when they call for borders to be closed and muslims to be deported. You do realise the whole point of the terrorism campaign in Europe is to turn Europe against the refugees and foster hatred and mistrust against Muslims?

Yeah that would be a great change from the present situation

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

YF-23 posted:

The thing is, these terrorists don't need to take the refugee route. Being European nationals they can instead pass into, for example, Algeria, take an airplane to France, and commit their acts of terror. They are instead taking a riskier route where they have a chance of dying on the way in order to leave a paper trail that will discredit the refugees and increase tensions between them and their host countries. You could build a hundred-meter tall wall in the middle of the sea and completely cut off the refugees from Europe, and that would not stop the terrorists, because they do not rely on the refugee route to return to Europe, they are using it to achieve a different goal altogether.

I didn't know Iraq was part of the EU now, that might explains some things.

Fox Cunning posted:

I've got a hunch that those using IS as reason to not accept refugees wouldn't be that enthusiastic about the situation even without the looming threat of IS-terrorism.

I've always been in favour of accepting refugees but they need to be vetted or no thanks.

How can you be enthusiastic about this situation? You'd have to live in a completely remote place safe from... oh wait!

I can do the same thing by the way "I've got a hunch that those using mass murders as a reason to apply gun control wouldn't be that enthusiastic about the situation even without the looming threat of mass shooting".

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 12, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

That's one city and the ban is going to be overturned.

computer parts posted:

Considering we just had someone say "France isn't racist, it's just their culture!" I don't think that's accurate.

Cannes isn't the whole of France.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

icantfindaname posted:

You're right, laicite is a bad ideology completely independent of racism

It depends on how it's applied, I don't see the problem with having a secular environment in public spaces, but personal clothing choices probably shouldn't be regulated to that extent (I can see why the face covering argument can be controversial, security wise).

Laicite just means secularism, you know.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

AceOfFlames posted:

Serious question. I am Portuguese and am currently working in the Netherlands. I really don't want to go back home since I cannot possibly live making a third of what I am making right now (medical bills) and I work in biomed, which has very little employment in Portugal. Yet I am worried about the potential rise of fascism in Europe. What should I do?

Enjoy Bogland.

if they go fascist they're not irrelevant to do anything bad.

Cat Mattress posted:

They honestly couldn't be worse than any of the potential future candidates.

e: to answer the question, here's the list:
Bourbon, Legitimist: this guy
Bourbon, Orléanist: this one (looks like a vampire IMO)
Bonaparte, option 1: that dude
Bonaparte, option 2: the youngest claimant

I'd vote for the Nosferatu, Ventrue sucks

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Doctor Malaver posted:

I lived in Amsterdam for 6 months and talked a lot with Eastern European expats and never heard about a single problem from any of them. It's probably the best/safest European country to emigrate to, next to Iceland. If you get to the point that fascist gangs roam the streets of Amsterdam and Den Hague, then the rest of the Europe would have already been turned into a Mad Max wasteland long before.

What about Ireland?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
we are so hosed

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

computer parts posted:

40% of the US presidential race gets you zero.

30% of the French Legislature race gives you massive influence.

You do know France has a presidential race right.

Also our parliamentary system is massively anti-democratic (think Great Britain parliamentary elections, except with a run off system added on top) so her party is unlikely to gain a massive influence there.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can't England or Germany annex us?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Gypsies don't live in carriages carried by horses

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah it's a pool, burkinis are already banned in pools for hygiene reasons, like swimming trunks.

Basically

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PT6A posted:

Are you supposed to go in naked? It looks like the picture of the bathing suit is crossed out. That's weird.

Or is it a women-only pool, since apparently women's bathing suits are okay?

Men must wear speedos.