Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Rappaport posted:

I don't speak German so sorry if these questions are dumb; there was noise some time ago that Merkel is facing heavy criticism for her "open arms" rhetoric, has something changed in the German political landscape that'd drive the push for distributing refugees into the EU? Finland is currently having a poo poo-show with our internal politics and no one is discussing the refugee crisis, but it doesn't seem like the issue has become any less controversial.

The original plan was to absorb Syrian refugees throughout the EU states. Merkel apparently forgot to discuss this with the class. In an effort to perhaps lead by example, Merkel welcomes refugees to Germany. She did not stipulate which refugees. She did not explain that not every refugee would be settled in Germany. This resulted in massive waves of immigrants from a bunch of disadvantaged countries. With no border control policies in force, most flooded Germany and Austria with the expectation that they would be welcomed and receive houses and cars etc (lies sold to them by people smugglers).

The execution of this is amazingly terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Fuuuuck shut up shut up shut up. No one wants Finland. NO ONE EVER WANTS FINLAND. Finland has nothing to do with anything just shut up with your stupid derail.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

drilldo squirt posted:

When was the last time american police tore down a neighborhood of black people? What about European police tearing down a gypsy neighborhood?

Haha im on to you :)

In other news

http://www.salzburg.com/nachrichten/welt/chronik/sn/artikel/zugunglueck-fahrdienstleiter-spielte-mit-dem-handy-191623/

Statt sich voll auf seine Aufgabe zu konzentrieren, spielte der Fahrdienstleiter vor dem tödlichen Zugunglück von Bad Aibling auf seinem Smartphone.

tldr; Big train crash a few months ago. New info says the dude was stuffing around on his phone the whole time.

I thought all these things were automatic?

Comedy options: Ban trains and or phones.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Brainiac Five posted:

I'm sure noted racist Ligur was being satirical, or noted dumbshits steinrokkan and blowfish were being satirical, or noted ???? you is being satirical. Maybe you think Karl Popper was being satirical? I don't know. Maybe you got "satirical" and "serious" confused somewhere?

So, in any case, I like this line of thought. Certain cultures are more acceptable than others. Perhaps this correlates to a measure of value for the culture in question! Thus, we can talk all we want about how multiculturalism has failed to force the Muslims to dress the right way without also concluding that it's time to pummel some steampunks.

Steinrokkan made some excellent points. If you don't agree with them, try to argue on the same level without raging so your argument doesn't sound like uneducated strawmanning and logical fallacies.

Here ya go

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/index.html#index

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Brainiac Five posted:

No, he did not. He made an argument where he took a basic principle to extreme, absurdist ends, and when that failed to make me break down in awe at his genius he went to misunderstanding what other people have written. All because he wants a monocultural world but is too cowardly to accept the price of it. Just like you are too cowardly to accept the price of having a monocultural nation. That price is paid in blood, and if you are not willing to acknowledge that, then you lack moral courage completely and totally and the culture you believe is totally worthless because it has failed to instill that in you.

This is why you can't be taken seriously. I didn't say anything about any of that. You literally made it all up.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

drilldo squirt posted:

Gaussian and ligure are very smug about poor brown people not being allowed in Europe, personally I find it kinda weird how much they seem to enjoy it.

They seem to be pointing out (in a roundabout way) that the EU can't take every single migrant in the world and shouldn't be expected to.

It's a pretty reasonable stance as far as these kinds of stances go.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

blowfish posted:

Hypothetical: if France got nuked would everyone surrounding France be more or less torn up over taking millions of French than they are about taking millions of Syrians.

I assume just as annoyed because no country has infrastructure set up to take on millions of extra people.

Your hypothetical doesnt work with this situation though.

More accurate would be: If china, japan and indonesia (we have to use countries with vastly different cultures) suddenly came to Europe with no money or language skills, would it be the same?

OR since we are strawmanning, if australia, the US and ireland get nuked, would the Saudis take everyone in (also include everyone living in 3rd world countries)?

OR as a broad question: Can any one place take everyone who doesn't want to be where they live?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Xoidanor posted:

You know I like the idea of human rights, but I don't like paying to uphold human rights, let the poor nations do it. :smug:

Like seriously, feel however you want about economic migration but complaining about asylum seekers moving too far when re-shuffling their entire existence is kinda morally bankrupt.

Its a horrible situation and im sure no-one is taking any joy from the fact that the EU can't possibly house every refugee who wishes to go to the EU. Thats the reality though. There arent millions of houses sitting around empty and millions of jobs that everyone likes.

If every country pitched in, there would be much better outcomes.

Ironically, the EU and Merkel in particular would have better support if nothing had been said to refugees at all. Every other continent has done sweet gently caress all and aren't copping anywhere near the same sort of backlash.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Kassad posted:

Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey (the part where refugees are, at least) are in Asia.

And this right here is the problem. You assume the refugees are all Syrian/Iraqis/Iranians.

This is nowhere NEAR the truth.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Cat Mattress posted:

Those who do not come from a war-torn country like Syria, Iraq, Libya, or Yemen are not considered to be refugees.

That's great in theory, however the stand that "Germany welcomes all refugees" was apparently not clear on the "You must be an actual refugee" part.

So what you actually have is migrants from every country trying to claim asylum all at once. It was a ridiculous popularity stunt by Merkel and has backfired badly.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

blowfish posted:

It is, however, the only definition of renewables that's practical to implement if you also insist on having zero nuclear. Besides rolling out excessive amounts of hydro (destroying all the river habitats) and biomass burning (destroying all the other habitats with land use), that is.

Solar Farms.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

steinrokkan posted:

According to this document https://www.ise.fraunhofer.de/en/pu...-in-germany.pdf current research suggests that solar energy could make up 10% of total generation by 2020 and 30% by 2050, assuming good market conditions. That seems pretty significant if true.

Thats also conservative because it doesn't take into account future technology improvements.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Tesseraction posted:

Have you heard of Jobbik? They're the second group down on the polling. Orban is a dumb racist dipshit but it's Jobbik that Jewish people would have something to be fearful of. They're both holocaust deniers and holocaust fetishists.

And I didn't say 'Israel set up a Twitter account' I said that the group behind Europe Elects could have had an Israeli office because Israel was willing to provide funding. It's hardly unlikely that a nation of a historically discriminated group wouldn't be interested in the rise of people wanting to re-do the holocaust.

Wait... so if you condemn the slaughter of Palestinians, you're antisemitic?

EDIT: Not saying the Hungarians aren't racist, just find it interesting that Israel can apparently commit similar atrocities because they were persecuted in the past.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

YF-23 posted:

There is no easy answer on how to handle the refugee crisis. There's nothing that will fix everything, or cause no problems. Refugees staying in countries with weak economies and high unemployment are going to require resources allocated to them that could otherwise have been used elsewhere. Not accepting refugees would also be harmful to hundreds of thousands, utterly evil, and morally bankrupt.

The only actual solution to the problem is for wars in the middle east etc. to end, but the degree to which that can be achieved in the near future after a century of western interference and imperialism is doubtful if anything. For now, the only thing we can do is help.

This is a good statement but "help" needs to be sustainable and not to the detriment of the countries providing said help. There is no endless supply of anything in this universe. I supported Merkel's enthusiastic offers of asylum but was gobsmacked to learn that there was no real plan other than good intentions. What will continue to happen is what is currently happening. EU member states close their borders and accept quotas. Something that should have been done from the start instead of floods of refugees going wherever they want. Systems need to be in place to genuine train refugees and deport economic migrants.

If there was an actual plan for all EU countries to take a quota and adequate resourcing was accounted for, this mass migration issue is doable. Until an actual plan is organised and agreed to, the mass migration of refugees to random countries will hurt not only the refugees but the european people to the extent that all countries end up rejecting all refugees.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

GreyjoyBastard posted:

No good. I've known too many Spaniards.

Are you doing the American thing where you confuse Spain with South America and Mexico or are you just jealous of siesta time?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I'm a bit late to the party but you can absolutely write an algorithm to determine expected tax from a bunch of bank data. Designing software to automate audits were part of my previous job and we often had to do things like what was being discussed.

At its simplest, one of the implementations went through company cash accounts vs declared p&ls, income statements, cash flows and statement of accounts (among whatever other data) and would flag an expected amount based on that.

It was definitely a guesstimate and the flag was never shown to the companies but it was a pretty good way to find who should be looked into.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I've read a lot about how Greece has had high levels of debt for basically forever and they fudged numbers to get into the EU. After getting into the EU, they exploited the new stabler economy by borrowing like crazy and when 2008 came, it all backfired. By "they" I mean the politicians and bankers who were allowed to get away with all this and not Mr and Mrs Citizen Papadopoulos.

How much truth is there to this and if true, how does the responsibility lie with Germany?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

doverhog posted:

German and French banks loaned Greece the money, then when Greece couldn't pay germany forced the rest of the EU to loan Greece money, which was then immediately payed back to those banks. Greece was left with the debt, the banks never had to take the hit for loaning money to someone who can't pay it back, and the taxpayers were left with the bill.

What should've happened is Greece defaulting and leaving the Euro, and the banks that were too big to fail should've been bailed out directly but also nationalized.

Yeah it really sounds like Greece should never have been allowed to join the EU. They would have still been lent money though, just at higher interest rates. I find it odd that there seems to be a lot of blame going to the lenders and little to the borrowers. It seems logical that if Greece lied about their economical figures and people lent them money based on that information, it would hardly be the fault of the lenders...

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

doverhog posted:

It's the responsibility of a lender to not believe whatever lies someone tells them to get money. Once the money is handed over, if the borrower cannot pay it back, the bank loses that money. They are not supposed to get it from tax payers instead.

There isn't a single country in the world where that happens to my knowledge. Even in a very simplified Bank -> consumer lending scenario, the bank can garnish wages and assets to pay back loans. Just in the case of a loan to an entire country, the entire country pays.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

doverhog posted:

Yes, but Greece couldn't pay. They were handed the money to pay by the EU, so the losses will be on the EU countries instead of the banks.

If there are no wages or assets to garnish the money is gone.

There are of course wages and assets. One would argue its unethical to take them though as it is not the fault of the Greek people, rather their corrupt officials. Banks in general don't forgive large loans and they wont in the case of Greece. There seems to be no way to fix the Greek problem. Even if the debt was written off and a law passed to forbid lending to Greece, they would still manage to get dodgy loans due to the corrupt nature of the officials in power.

I suppose the only thing that could be done is throw them out of the EU, write off the debts and let them destroy themselves. Its pretty sad.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Ligur posted:

Can't destroy themselves much worse. They had a regular, working internal business model back in the day before the crazy loans for the public sector.

Just gently caress off from the eurozone and the EU, take back their own currency and let things settle. How much worse could it be? A horrible year or two? How is that worse than now? Especially since it has become clear they will never get out of the hole with the Troika.

Well not really, they have always been crippled by the corrupt actions of their governments. I don't see the "troika" writing off all debts though and even if they did, history shows that they would just screw themselves as soon as they had enough stability to borrow again. Their whole political and financial elite class need to be shot into the sun and let them start from scratch but its another thing that wont ever happen :(

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Over here in Austria, theres a big push back against "refugees" but most of the ones who came over have been housed and are no longer in the big tents in town or the train station etc.

Finally I figured out the confusion. In Salzburg, there are a massive amount of beggars. In the altstadt its one or sometimes two on every corner. Legally this is fine. The weird thing is, the Austrians believe that these beggars (90% from Romania) are these Syrian/Afghan refugees which is a bit unfair to the refugees.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Proof positive Austrians aren't racists.

It's a special type of racism where they don't even bother get the ethnicity of the person correct though.

I mean I kind of understand the annoyance (Salzburg has the most beggars i've seen in any western city) but Austrians need to chill out. They already put through a Bettelverbot for most frequented areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Riso posted:

My mother lives near a refugee camp in Vienna. There is hardly a time the police isn't going there full speed.

Eh? I thought most of them are shut down. They still have the big white tent things in Vienna?