Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Zero. posted:

When was the last time you checked? They changed a couple of things in regards to fractals but I dont know what you're looking for. Technically you're still running the same fractals but on the higher difficulties (75+) they can actually get challenging and even if they are boring as gently caress the rewards were polished as well and are somewhat worth it now. There's even a legendary fractal backpiece now which does not look like total garbage.
If you're looking for a higher difficulty you could check out raids they arent too bad either.

I quit when that stupid woman was the main boss that kept coming back. Just after her nightmare forest story line. (so a while). As for fractals, can you get a pug group as any class again?

Most dungeons sucked. Unless you had a group of friends your group would whinge and whine if a 2 hour dungeon took longer than 11 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'd like to call attention to Toontown Rewritten, a private server for the now-defunct Toontown Online, if only for the fact that it's a fun little curiosity.

It's primitive, but hey, it's my lovely MMO of choice at the moment. :v:

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

I quit when that stupid woman was the main boss that kept coming back. Just after her nightmare forest story line. (so a while). As for fractals, can you get a pug group as any class again?

Most dungeons sucked. Unless you had a group of friends your group would whinge and whine if a 2 hour dungeon took longer than 11 minutes.

I dont know. I never had trouble finding a group but I tend to play as Guardian, Rev or Warrior. I believe unless you're playing some serious off meta build you wont have trouble finding a group below 75. I cant speak for 75+ tho but I imagine it being a bit more hardcore but you would have to check for yourself. At least the times of "5k ap, asc gear link only zerker plis" are over. Nobody gives a crap about that anymore.
And yea, dungeons still stuck. They havent changed much except for the fact that the rewards are really useless now. They are still fun to do once in a while with the right group but I avoid doing them on a daily basis.

I dont log in every day but a every once in a while, usually like 3 or 4 times a week. I do some fractals, do the two, soon to be three, raids, some stuff for the new legendary collections and log out again. There isnt that much to do but the amount of content that is left isnt too bad either. Its a nice MMO to play if you're bored but I cant imagine anyone playing as hardcore as WoW for example.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Brave New World posted:

But compared to other MMOs, how bad are we talking? I realize that's vague, varies from game to game and there's always that guy that has to whip his Epeen around "lol mmos aren't hard".

I used to play LotRO, and they dumbed their combat down to the extent that people reported that they actually defeated mobs while they were literally AFK. Some of the TOR chatter almost sounds that bad. I going to check it our anyway, so it's a moot point, but it still sucks if true.

I might be a bad person to ask because I've been informed that since I last played SWTOR they've added level scaling to the planets to keep the content somewhat interesting even if you've leveled past it (why don't more MMOs do this anyway?).

Anyway, back when I played it (about a year and a half ago) I would say it was generally on the easier side due to having a companion that can shore up your weaknesses, but the mob density was really high in some places and could get pretty challenging if you weren't careful. Also, unlike a lot of recent titles like ESO and Wildstar SW:TOR was still in the old school WoW ability school where you had a ton of different abilities to hotkey which I really like (I loathe 'limited action sets').

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I think it's interesting how many people like level scaling.

Why not:
1) Remove leveling
2) Remove vertical progression
and then replace 1+2 with
3) Horizontal skill and gear progression
4) Player skill progression
5) Cosmetics (gear, emotes, skill visual effects)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Why not:
1) Remove leveling

Because horizontal gear/skill leveling is the same as character progression leveling except it is far harder to tell if you can take that bear or not.

Plus the brutal truth is that there is only so much "skill" you can put into most MMOS, after which it is just a gear check

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Why not:
1) Remove leveling

Because people don't like running in place.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Lol at everyone wishing they could go back to quest givers in Guild War 2. Ya'll suck. The hearts are the same as quests dummies.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea. GW2 quests are the followup to Warhammer Online public quests and kill collectors (as originally hyped by Paul Barnett)

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah i liked this in GW2. But it makes sense. You would normally end up talking to the quest giver at some point. So rather than the 'kill 10 orcs',
'ive killed about 50 on the way here'
'thats nice, kill 10 orcs.'

Its more like.
'Kill 10 orcs'
'Oh, ive killed about 30 on my way here.'
'Oh good, here's a reward.'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJOrSr6Q3_o

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 21, 2016

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I really wish there was a good ship type game. Uncharted Waters Online was probably the last one I tried (with Pirates of the Burning Sea being the only other one?) and I remember having to be drunk to play it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I guess I want an MMO without the RPG.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Second Life?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

How about you just shoot your own balls off instead?

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Bob NewSCART posted:

How about you just shoot your own balls off instead?

Degs posted:

Second Life?

JINX you owe me a coke

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Planetside 2 was pretty good before it became a ghost town.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Another goon via Steam posted:

*link to this thread* Also, I dare you to try and cause a goon rush on Toontown.
Oooookay, so here goes absolutely nothing. I'm sure that some of you will have at least heard of Toontown Online, a MMO that Disney released in beta during 2001, officially released in 2003 and kept in operation for over ten years before finally closing up shop in September 2013.

I never played Toontown Online. What I have played, however, is Toontown Rewritten.

Wikipedia posted:

The most popular server, Toontown Rewritten, is described by its developers as "a fan-made revival of Disney's Toontown Online, created using publicly available downloads and information made freely available to the general public."
So a bunch of fans came together and recreated the MMO, gradually working on restoring features and functionality to the point where they have very nearly everything that was present on the official servers. (The main stragglers to be rounded up are pets and field offices.) And since this is done entirely out of pocket and without accepting donations of any kind, Disney seem quite content to just let it happen. :toot:

As of the writing of this post, there are... 2809 players online. That's pretty normal for this time of day.

Now for he main crux of this post: trying to get goons to try what looks like a very family friendly MMO. Aside from appealing to nostalgia for those who did actually play the original (and therefore do not need to be sold on its merits), let me give you a quick run-down.

-You play as a toon. Choose species, gender, clothing and accessories, a wacky name and get to playing. You can type in your own name (to be approved or denied by staff), or generate one from lists of parts. "Cool Fireball Electromarble" and "Prof. Robozilla" are two good examples I've seen lately.
-There are sinister robots called Cogs threatening Toontown, making fighting back against them the main goal. They are all corporate types, coming in Sellbot, Cashbot, Lawbot and Bossbot flavours. There are nine or ten different cogs of each type.
-Aside from a selection of side activities (including fishing, racing, golf and a bunch of short minigames), the main part of gameplay is round-based combat. Toons get to act, Cogs get to act, the usual. Combat is up to four a side, and players can just step in to help as needed.
-Your weapons for combating the humourless Cog menace? Gags, of course! Throw pies, squirt alka seltzer, drop safes on their heads and lure cogs onto trapdoors!
-Complete tasks for Toon HQ, venture into dangerous Cog buildings and face off against hordes of fearsome foes. Overcome the greatest of challenges by teaming up with other toons!

Pros:
-Simple to understand mechanics.
-Something that can be picked up and played for a few minutes.
-Bright, colourful and cartoony.
-Despite being 'family friendly', Toontown is surprisingly willing to kick your rear end. Larger Cog buildings can and will kick the collective butts of unprepared toon teams.

Cons:
-Kinda grindy, both for earning new gags and completing tasks. But as MMO players, you should be used to that.
-In-game chat messages are a bit on the short side, and are of course filtered.
-Each round of combat gives 15 seconds for everyone to decide on and enter their gag selections. Better hope no-one goes AFK.

If you feel like trying something simple and quick to download (It's taking up 385MB on my computer), you could do a lot worse. Come be a goon toon with us!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

As of the writing of this post, there are... 2809 players online. That's pretty normal for this time of day.

what percentage of these players are currently engaged in furry ERPing

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Vargs posted:

All of them

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Vargs posted:

Yapping Eevee posted:

-In-game chat messages are a bit on the short side, and are of course filtered.
Reading comprehension, folks. :eng101:

But yeah, there's not been a single trace of that I've seen in all my time playing. Amazing for an MMO, I know.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Yapping Eevee posted:

Reading comprehension, folks. :eng101:

But yeah, there's not been a single trace of that I've seen in all my time playing. Amazing for an MMO, I know.

Oh yeah like that's going to stop them. It's not like there's 12 year olds out there discovering this game for the first time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If the idea of potential ERPers around any given corner happens to be a fear of yours, I suggest never playing any MMO again.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
You underestimate quite how aggressive the chat filter happens to be. :v: Excessively so, even.

Also that's a remarkably cynical way to look at things.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Chat filter? There is no barrier in heaven or earth that can stop the force that is the impotent boner.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Lol at everyone wishing they could go back to quest givers in Guild War 2. Ya'll suck. The hearts are the same as quests dummies.

There just isn't much sense to it. "Why am I killing boars? Oh, because this guy needs them for stew" versus "Why am I killing boars? Because my HUD updated when I walked in this zone to tell me to do it to fill some bars so I can get gold, the task is literally meaningless to me"

Functionally it is the same, you kill boars, but at least you have some sort of reason with the quest givers.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yapping Eevee posted:

But yeah, there's not been a single trace of ERP I've seen in all my time playing. Amazing for an MMO, I know.
Can we really trust someone named after a Pokemon

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jackard posted:

Can we really trust someone named after a Pokemon

You're a real Jackard, you know that?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Meskhenet posted:

Scarlett was the loving worst.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It has become clear that the words "Ventura" and "Carrey" are considered offensive language in Toontown and are thus censored. Does the game have taste?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Why not:
1) Remove leveling

I don't mind leveling as long as the experience from start to level cap is representative of the endgame (unlike BDO/ArcheAge where it becomes a completely different game at cap) and updates/expansions don't invalidate the progression I've made.

That's why I love Guild Wars 1 so much, you hit level 20? Done, and all future expansions focused 99% of their content on level 20 content. Gear didn't get better or worse, it was just cosmetics.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

You're a real Jackard, you know that?
Just Asking Questions :tipshat:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Morglon posted:

Scarlett was the loving worst.

thing was i dropped out for a few months and came back and she was still the event. i didnt mind some fo the alt leveling side bits, but yeah, she sucked.

Have they rebuilt lions whatever? the main city?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I don't mind leveling as long as the experience from start to level cap is representative of the endgame (unlike BDO/ArcheAge where it becomes a completely different game at cap) and updates/expansions don't invalidate the progression I've made.

That's why I love Guild Wars 1 so much, you hit level 20? Done, and all future expansions focused 99% of their content on level 20 content. Gear didn't get better or worse, it was just cosmetics.

Ah, yes. That's a good example.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Meskhenet posted:

thing was i dropped out for a few months and came back and she was still the event. i didnt mind some fo the alt leveling side bits, but yeah, she sucked.

Have they rebuilt lions whatever? the main city?

They thought they had a really good character there so they made like every other event feature her so in the end she was pretty much behind every bad thing that happened and she was a complete caricature. At that point I was barely playing anymore anyway but from what I saw she was such a blatant self insert it wasn't even funny anymore, way worse than even the loving main story line with all the self insert heroes you got to play bitch for and get their laundry or whatever.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Hey Chickenwing I'm maybe too late but FFXIV is real good and it's anime but the English script is mostly excellent, the music is consistently good, and there's so much to do that you and YOUR FIANCÉE will not burn through the content for a good long while. It has a free trial so it's also no risk to try it out.

Other comments: the GCD is slower than WoW but there are lots of off-GCD abilities to keep the rotation interesting. Most classes have a good mix of abilities and rotations are complicated without being stupid. All of tanking, healing and dps have engaging gameplay, and if you like a support-ish dps then bars and machanist do party buffs.

There are at least three different goon guilds on Excalibur, which is the busiest ustz server, and they're pretty consistently full of people willing to help out as you learn. If you're more into RP, most RP focused players congregate on Balmung although you've then got to often run around with general chat hidden as people like to ERP in open chat there.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
Toontown was loving awesome and not having to pay a subscription fee for it sounds even better. I wonder if it'll stand up to how I remember it from when I was 11-12.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hey Chickenwing I'm maybe too late but FFXIV is real good and it's anime but the English script is mostly excellent, the music is consistently good, and there's so much to do that you and YOUR FIANCÉE will not burn through the content for a good long while. It has a free trial so it's also no risk to try it out.

Other comments: the GCD is slower than WoW but there are lots of off-GCD abilities to keep the rotation interesting. Most classes have a good mix of abilities and rotations are complicated without being stupid. All of tanking, healing and dps have engaging gameplay, and if you like a support-ish dps then bars and machanist do party buffs.

There are at least three different goon guilds on Excalibur, which is the busiest ustz server, and they're pretty consistently full of people willing to help out as you learn. If you're more into RP, most RP focused players congregate on Balmung although you've then got to often run around with general chat hidden as people like to ERP in open chat there.

the killer: ffxiv is literally 2009 wow with a pretty coat of paint and this will wear thinner and thinner the further you go

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Did you mean

Thunderbro posted:

the winner: ffxiv is literally 2009 wow with better story, random Japanese anime things, and nobuo uematsu soundtrack

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

mallamp posted:

Did you mean

no it's a boring old MMO with generic class design and stupid quests that make you teleport all over the world for no reason and every 50 hours or so there's a nostalgic song you heard 20 years ago

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
help my browser double posted

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
on the other hand you should take everything thunderbro says with a grain of salt. literally just the tiniest of glances at his posting history will explain why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Thunderbro posted:

no it's a boring old MMO with generic class design and stupid quests that make you teleport all over the world for no reason and every 50 hours or so there's a nostalgic song you heard 20 years ago

Yes that's definitely bad part of the game, constant teleporting. At least you can teleport though. And I also agree it has oldschool feel, but I also think that out of the mmorpgs with oldschool feel (WoW-school) it's the best one. Subbing once or twice a year to get a fix of that isn't the worst idea (game is updated 4 times a year). And before you get to that point you have solid 2-4 months of FF story, yes with the drawback of ridiculous amount of running around, but also amazing amount of cutscenes,

• Locked thread