Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Velthice posted:

on the other hand you should take everything thunderbro says with a grain of salt. literally just the tiniest of glances at his posting history will explain why

Yeah but I still find it easier to believe the guy who doesn't claim that Square managed to write a story that's not completely stuck up its own rear end and that anime ever improved anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Anime improves everything if youre a nerd
If you arent a nerd you probably shouldnt be dabbling with mmorpgs

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

mallamp posted:

there's non-anime mmorpgs

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just curious, but what do you think makes ESO an okay game if not the core combat/ability/movement?

I said it might be an okay game. But the core gameplay is so unenjoyable I will never experience it.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

there's non-anime mmorpgs
Sure, but variety is spice of life, sometimes you want anime and play FFXIV, sometimes you want grimdark and you play ESO

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

crabcakes66 posted:

I said it might be an okay game. But the core gameplay is so unenjoyable I will never experience it.

I actually enjoy ESO a lot more than Skyrim because it is a big step up in terms of gameplay/combat

Though I also realize for a lot of people this isn't saying much, but it is an improvement

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

mallamp posted:

Slow pacing and cheap animation improves everything

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Berke Negri posted:

I actually enjoy ESO a lot more than Skyrim because it is a big step up in terms of gameplay/combat

Though I also realize for a lot of people this isn't saying much, but it is an improvement

Yeah the combat is literally light years ahead of Skyrim. It's still not super complex but I find it fun and I've played all types of different lovely MMOs.

I'm still throwing in my hat for TOR, game is awesome nowadays

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Whether you like TOR really depends on what you liked out of Skyrim. If you like the main quests and doing the scattered normal side quests then it is probably very much your deal. I didn't really get into it because I like Elder Scroll games for being able to break into the house of someone I don't like, stealing all their stuff while they sleep, and then killing them just because gently caress you. Or making truly game breaking spells. Or whatever. TOR is just too restrictive for those kinds of crazy things just because they need it to be played by -everyone-

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Brave New World posted:

I'm definitely going to play TOR at some point cause I hear the story is great and I'm a huge fan of both Star Wars and old school BioWare, but is it really true that the game is pathetically easy? Is it really as faceroll as I've been hearing?

The story in SWToR is not even close to "great". I hear a lot of people espouse this opinion and it makes me sad to think that this is what passes for great writing. It's okay. The big deal is that it's a long personal story - which is cool, your decisions have some impact on the characters around you - that's fully voice-acted.

But the story itself is a basic children's-book story.

I played ToR for a month of so, and hated it for about half of that. The game was made as a time-waster MMO; instead of, say, loading directly into your ship, you needed to walk down a series of long corridors in which you couldn't mount or sprint. The whole thing was just designed to take as much of your time as possible. I remember when they went F2P they locked sprint away behind a paywall - not sure how much more blatant you can get that "yes, this game is designed to make you spend as much time as possible on it."

I'm sure things have changed by now, because people complained bitterly about it. I just strongly dislike obvious time-wasters in MMOs (grinding rep, running down corridors, farming lockboxes, etc). Which, in turn, means I don't like a lot of MMOs :)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Also, some TOR stories are better than others. For instance I thought the agent was great, but the jedi consular was completely forgettable.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Agent was definitely someone's baby during TOR development because it has six possible endings while most the class stories in the game basically get either a light side or dark side end and that's it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Thursday Next posted:

The story in SWToR is not even close to "great". I hear a lot of people espouse this opinion and it makes me sad to think that this is what passes for great writing. It's okay. The big deal is that it's a long personal story - which is cool, your decisions have some impact on the characters around you - that's fully voice-acted.

I played ToR for a month of so, and hated it for about half of that. The game was made as a time-waster MMO; instead of, say, loading directly into your ship, you needed to walk down a series of long corridors in which you couldn't mount or sprint. The whole thing was just designed to take as much of your time as possible. I remember when they went F2P they locked sprint away behind a paywall - not sure how much more blatant you can get that "yes, this game is designed to make you spend as much time as possible on it."

I'm sure things have changed by now, because people complained bitterly about it. I just strongly dislike obvious time-wasters in MMOs (grinding rep, running down corridors, farming lockboxes, etc). Which, in turn, means I don't like a lot of MMOs :)

Story is still the same but they changed the companion system, leveling and a lot of the padding has been cut. You can now level to max just by doing your class story and can teleport for free from mission to mission and bring any companion you want since they can now freely switch between roles and scale off their affection towards you, gear for them is purely cosmetic. You get all the gear you need from just doing your story too and don't have to waste time with the filler missions unless you want to. Also you get scaled to planets which I'm not a fan of but since the latest expansion adds story stuff to the planets it kind of makes sense.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thursday Next posted:

It's good compared to the competition. Bioware gets all of it's chops on writing because the competition is still pretty much terrible.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

crabcakes66 posted:

I just don't get how you can reconcile those two statements.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Thursday Next posted:

Most games are. Even ones acclaimed for their writing.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hey Chickenwing I'm maybe too late but FFXIV is real good and it's anime but the English script is mostly excellent, the music is consistently good, and there's so much to do that you and YOUR FIANCÉE will not burn through the content for a good long while. It has a free trial so it's also no risk to try it out.

Other comments: the GCD is slower than WoW but there are lots of off-GCD abilities to keep the rotation interesting. Most classes have a good mix of abilities and rotations are complicated without being stupid. All of tanking, healing and dps have engaging gameplay, and if you like a support-ish dps then bars and machanist do party buffs.

There are at least three different goon guilds on Excalibur, which is the busiest ustz server, and they're pretty consistently full of people willing to help out as you learn. If you're more into RP, most RP focused players congregate on Balmung although you've then got to often run around with general chat hidden as people like to ERP in open chat there.

Hi Kalenn I actually decided on FFXIV really early and wasn't disappointed, it's basically been scratching the exact itch I wanted. My only problem with it is that I'm not outlevelling the MSQ and so there's no excuse for me to be doing dungeons at literally all times.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Lizard Wizard posted:

I just don't get how you can reconcile those two statements.

There can be more to a big complex MMO than combat/movement/abilities. Maybe the crafting, economy, quest design or some other aspect that people care about is really good in ESO. It's possible to like or dislike video games for different reasons.

I'm not sure what's confusing about that.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Hi Kalenn I actually decided on FFXIV really early and wasn't disappointed, it's basically been scratching the exact itch I wanted. My only problem with it is that I'm not outlevelling the MSQ and so there's no excuse for me to be doing dungeons at literally all times.

Are you doing sidequests? You should outlevel msq pretty easily if you want to

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

mallamp posted:

Are you doing sidequests? You should outlevel msq pretty easily if you want to

I'm also going reeeeeeeeeeeallly slow. I stopped doing sidequests like 7 levels ago but I'm only like level 25 so v:v:v

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Sidequests can be fun too and some of them give pets and stuff, but if you prefer dungeons remember to use the roulette! It gives half a level a day almost all the way to 50 I think

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

mallamp posted:

Sidequests can be fun too and some of them give pets and stuff, but if you prefer dungeons remember to use the roulette! It gives half a level a day almost all the way to 50 I think

The idea was to MSQ until we outlevelled it, then dungeons until we caught up, repeat.

At least, that's what we figured on.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Yeah for better or worse the msq is pretty muh perfectly paced now so that you only need to run dungeons once on your way through until the mid 40s at which time you can do FATEs or spam dungeons to get to around high 40s. Also save side quests unless they unlock things as they're legit good to level alt classes. Most of this is in the XIV thread OP so I won't repeat much here. I kind of burned out on it but played for a solid 2 years. Might go back at some point but so many other things to play including XV in the fall :D

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I'm thinking when I play I might just start off with a dungeon regardless. MY FIANCEE isn't a huge fan of running all across hell's half acre not killing things.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ChickenWing posted:

I'm thinking when I play I might just start off with a dungeon regardless. MY FIANCEE isn't a huge fan of running all across hell's half acre not killing things.

If you're at lvl 25 you're just starting to get into where dungeons are a regular part of the msq. It will get better but not a bad idea to just run some anyways because they're fun.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

If you're at lvl 25 you're just starting to get into where dungeons are a regular part of the msq. It will get better but not a bad idea to just run some anyways because they're fun.

We were quite enjoying it when they first introduced dungeons and there were three story quests out of like 9 in a row that wanted us to run dungeons. I expected that to become the norm - go to a zone, run the dungeons there, receive entertainment. I was dismayed when that did not happen.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

You'll be happy at level 50 when you unlock like 12 dungeons and can level to like 53 just running them once, if you buy Heavensward that is. Personally I find most ffxiv dungeons bit boring but trials own

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
you'll be happy after getting through the actual 364 quest gate to even touch expansion content and then the 100+ quests that come after that before you can raid or play with your friends outside of the awfully designed level sync system

spoilers: there are too many mandatory quests and they are all forgettable

ChickenWing posted:

ffxiv is p much made of what your wife hates

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Well if you are "endgame endgame endgame!!!!111" person FFXIV will be probably be miserable experience anyway. For some, mainquest is the reason to play and running dungeons is just a way to continue the story

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

mallamp posted:

Well if you are "endgame endgame endgame!!!!111" person FFXIV will be probably be miserable experience anyway. For some, mainquest is the reason to play and running dungeons is just a way to continue the story

it was a miserable experience because you are forced to run lazy copy paste quests with design from 8 years ago. it's not because they exist or because of endgame.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Alternatively, soak up the ambiance and solid translation and don't sweat it too much, and if you feel like a dungeon to spice it up then run a roulette. Chickenwing try to get in the habit of running daily roulettes. They're not great for loot now but they will get you half a level of xp.

Also the people sour on dungeons are mostly bitter era who have been been bashing away at the same content for years while griping mightily about how terrible it is but hey I'll do another

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Alternatively, soak up the ambiance and solid translation

Maybe while you're at it enjoy some gourmet food right from the bottom of a dumpster, some high quality music by a dog with his head stuck in a tuba or a well thought out and cohesive movie by Uwe Boll.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

GW2 is mostly about running around killing things, though it's light on dialog and stuff (outside of the ~PERSONAL STORY~ your character gets) and it might be a bit harder to run dungeons without a goon guild on hand. But hey, can't beat the price of admission.

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

Thunderbro posted:

it was a miserable experience because you are forced to run lazy copy paste quests with design from 8 years ago. it's not because they exist or because of endgame.

Now Im curious: if its that bad, how does the game keep its playbase somewhat active? Surely there have to some raids or something

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Zero. posted:

Now Im curious: if its that bad, how does the game keep its playbase somewhat active? Surely there have to some raids or something

There's plenty of raids and more come out literally every patch (3 months or so), also the quests are fine but I'm apparently a crazy person who reads all the dialogue in a mmo so who am I to judge? :shrug:

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Zero. posted:

It's the best MMO i've ever played, a bunch of content and it's chill as gently caress.

That guy posted a bunch of bitter tirades about the game in the main thread for it as well. It's ok that he doesn't like it but he is borderline obsessed about telling everyone about it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

spudsbuckley posted:

That guy posted a bunch of bitter tirades about the game in the main thread for it as well. It's ok that he doesn't like it but he is borderline obsessed about telling everyone about it.
All part of the MMO HMO healing process

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Zero. posted:

Even the most terrible mmo has a playerbase. Not that ff14 is the most terrible mmo, it's pretty good, but it's still an mmo and has a lot of questionable/lovely design decisions. The people who play the game/post about it on these forums always react really negatively towards any criticism towards the game though, maybe they haven't figured out you can play multiple video games yet

Thunderbro may have some pretty antagnostic posts but it's funny how everyone always shits all over him instead of the points he's making

Eopia posted:

There's plenty of raids and more come out literally every patch (3 months or so), also the quests are fine but I'm apparently a crazy person who reads all the dialogue in a mmo so who am I to judge? :shrug:

4 8-man raid bosses released every 6~ or so months which is considered the hardcore content in this game. I don't know who's psycho enough to do hardcore raiding in a game with 4 bosses a tier but eyyy. There's also a difficult 8 man boss released every patch which is usually pretty dope.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ArtIsResistance posted:

Even the most terrible mmo has a playerbase. Not that ff14 is the most terrible mmo, it's pretty good, but it's still an mmo and has a lot of questionable/lovely design decisions. The people who play the game/post about it on these forums always react really negatively towards any criticism towards the game though, maybe they haven't figured out you can play multiple video games yet

Thunderbro may have some pretty antagnostic posts but it's funny how everyone always shits all over him instead of the points he's making

This is true. A common complaint is that the expansion content is gated behind I think what is literally over 100 quests and it's a pretty drat valid one. The thing is I think it's a combination of having heard the argument for the nth time in the thread and also that most people probably limit themselves to just 1 mmo so they feel the need to justify the time spent playing it.

So yea there's lots of things the game could be doing better. The problem Thunderbro has is that even though he might be right about some things he comes across as a total rear end in a top hat. And I mean, you can probably guess how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Zero. posted:

Squeenix has never released accurate numbers beyond "we have 5 million accounts guys! 5 million whole accounts!". They fudge PR and news a lot to make the game seem much more popular than it is, and considering their level sync stuff pulls in all players their queue times are still really bad. I'd be surprised if it had much over 1 million subs.

ArtIsResistance posted:

That's just because they're accurate criticisms, down to an exactly specific number. Calling someone obsessive or an rear end in a top hat is really the only retort left.

• Locked thread