Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Trump Steaks
Trump Vodka
Trump Winery
Lil' Rubio
Lyin' Ted
Kasichmentum
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

BeOSPOS posted:

I'm not watching the debate tonight... whose winning and has Trump said anything great yet?

trump is clearly winning because nothing noteworthy has happened and the candidates are all being nice to each other so they look like calm, reasonable adults

trump's favorables probably go up double digits after this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

paranoid randroid posted:

i cannot loving believe this dude who looks like a high school gym teacher from ohio and thinks peace is irresponsible is the "reasonable" guy on the stage we are supposed to be getting hype for

the sole reason that was happening was that he was positioning himself as above the fray, but right now there's no fray

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

saints gambit posted:

This is stupid. The answer should be:

"Keep it open. American money will flow in and change their society before negotiations would. They're a small island nation and we're going to invest heavily."

yeah, that would be a great thing for the guy whose main policy plank is "giving money to other countries is screwing over our own workers" to say

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

GamingHyena posted:

Wait, he returned a bust?

blair gave it to bush, it's customary for incoming presidents to return the gifts the previous ones were sent

when bush was president there were two busts, there's still one there you can see it in the tour

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

logikv9 posted:

suddenly rubio will care

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Totalizator posted:

Trump is super low energy but the other three have basically become Trump. Kasich suddenly very concerned about China's currency manipulation.

it was pretty telling that all of them said they support "free trade but fair trade" and kasich said build the wall, they're legitimizing the gently caress out of his positions by agreeing with them in calm voices

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Rubio could use dikes to stop the flooding in Miami but he'd making that illegal day 1 :(

jokes aside a wall actually won't stop anything because the water is coming up through the porous bedrock

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Prorat posted:

This will be the last debate that trump plays by the rules. It's gonna be a poo poo show next time.

why, this is his best one by far

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

According to prorat it isn't tho?

oh well if a goon said it

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Can I get a job at cyber command? I have a masters in Computer Engineering from a top 5 school.

contractors pay better, plenty of job openings in the DC area

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mr. Nemo posted:

Did Rubio just copy Trump's police shout out?

trump has been copied up and down by all of them, this is why it's hard to take "omg trump's destroying the party" seriously

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Arkane posted:

I don't think I've ever wanted anything more in my life than for Donald Trump to fail, at everything, forever.

sorry he took your party away from you but it was pretty obvious it was gonna happen when mccain let the genie out of the alaska bottle

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Who should I be looking at? I'm legit in a job search now though mainly for quantitative finance jobs.

a google maps search for companies with offices in reston would be a good start

keeping in mind that it won't make you very popular with most of your friends on the left, lockheed and friends have job openings all the time

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

i don't get the smithsonian thing, what was cruz going for there

trump said ted should make him president so cruz had to quickly think of a government employee that might have "president" as a title other than the big chair

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Kurt_Cobain posted:

All this talk about deals is going to make them a laughingstock in the long run.

says increasingly nervous man for the seventh time this year

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

everyone is making fun of this but it's legitimately correct, people care way more about tone than substance, trump is absolutely killing it with the general election crowd

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

You never know. He might have been mad about capital gains rates.

if people were mad about those rubio would have more than 10 people at his rallies

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

no clear winner, so trump is de facto winner

https://twitter.com/pourmecoffee/status/708137123405115392

basically this except no one was really trying to foul him

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Did you really just post "Trump has no skills at diplomacy and bluffing, except for being good at convincing people to think things."

to be fair he said that trump is good at convincing dumb people to think things, which might not cut it against the superleaders of mexico and japan

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is sarcasm right?

no it's a combination of my understanding of conventional pundit wisdom mixed in with a considerable dose of fear

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

It will take centuries to recover from liberal Supreme Court nominees...

Trump does know the average lifespan of a human being right?

the legacy of institutions can last many lifespans, many people feel that the wrongs of slavery have never fully been made right despite being being 150 years in the past

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

paranoid randroid posted:

why do people keep saying this

when hes calm it just underlines that he cant loving answer questions without changing subjects every three sentences

because no one is nailing him to the wall over it, CNN just said his answers were very substantive

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

our expectations for him at debates are really low. he didn't shout LIAR, FALSE or talk about his dick, so he looked presidential. talking about what a sweet power play the Tienanmen Square Massacre was in a debate is not some clever 11th dimensional chess move, it's stupid. it has a powerful appeal to people already behind trump and is absolutely toxic to everyone else.

maybe but people have been saying "trump is saying stuff that won't appeal to anyone who doesn't already support him" since he was at 15%

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

it's almost as if that will change in the GE when he will be facing a person who is going to crucify him

yeah i'm sure mark penn is gonna come up with some devastating attack lines

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

a substantial plurality of the republican base is blood-gargling psychopaths whose biggest complaint against romney is that he didn't directly accuse obama of being osama bin laden's gay lover on stage. trump's path to the nomination has always been clear, ever since it became obvious that the GOPe can't force the others out to effect a consolidation. even after the Great Collapse marco still has trump something like 55-45 one on one, but he won't ever get a shot at that. the reason nothing matters is that all of the poo poo that most politicians never say because it's GE poison, trump is happily spraying everywhere, and the base will follow him to the ends of the earth for it. i do think he looked more presidential than in the past at this debate, but when he's talking about how awesome it must have felt to squish students under tank treads or how we must get rid of our treacherous fifth column, you get this:

don't play into the narrative that GE polls matter in march, they don't

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

i don't think you have been paying much attention to the dem primary

the fact that there's still a dem primary is a decent indicator of how good at this hillary is

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Kurt_Cobain posted:

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/donald-trump-favorable-rating

Nope, these numbers don't matter at all because lol nothing matters. Definitely do look deeper into how the demographics break down because hey it is still March and some Great Deals can be made.

romney was winning by 10 points this time 4 years ago, demographic arguments are great and all but the GOP has been very carefully making it as difficult as possible for many of those groups to vote in november

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Kurt_Cobain posted:

But they can't vote dude ^ see:
Lol

the overzealous voter roll purges that just happened to affect a few thousand minorities in florida in 2000 certainly didn't affect anything, your're right voter suppression is inconsequential

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Not a Step posted:

I enjoy that you've adopted the concept that a ham sandwich painted blue could garner the votes of the loyal/captive Democratic base. Its the Independents that a candidate actually needs to appeal to in order to win.

most independents actually are more reliable partisan voters than most people who declare party affiliation, the mythical swing voter is virtually nonexistent in the grand scheme of things

you absolutely win elections by boosting your own turnout and/or depressing your opponent's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Arkane posted:

some political casuals, one of whom is a trump fan, said trump looked lifeless and that the tone of the debate was all wrong for him

from their lips....

trump winning the drudge poll handily is no surprise but 56%-37% is probably the smallest margin i've seen on one of those by far

• Locked thread