Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Hey, posting for Discord. Discord name is Cheapshot.

When they fix bugs and smooth out the game this will be the only thing I ever play again. I'm in love.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

TheRagamuffin posted:

Sorry for double post, but tonight we found a bit of a "workaround" for the frozen-in-spawn problem.

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/1254113

e: In case of confusion, I forgot to record my own voice on the stream, so you'll just be hearing the others in Discord at the time.

Rag dolling is my solution to everything, but I didn't expect it to actually work. I dub this method, "Ragadolling".

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

7c Nickel posted:

Yeah, not sure where I read or heard it, but I believe islands will sink/rise out of the depths on a regular basis. This lets them bring in new material for building stuff, provides a reason why you can't build island settlements, and let's them take out old content for revisions as they update their tools.

I'm sure some group will try to build a super massive ship or group of ships to act as a town at some point though.

This is certainly the way to go. gently caress building on land, we're above that.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

They said the vast majority of islands will probably be proceduraly generated with an artist pass over actually. I think that takes them less time than vetting user created maps honestly.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Pavlov posted:

Are you sure about that? I could see that for the wilderness islands but not for the more industrialized ones. Those would still be time-consuming.

The community seems to self-vett pretty well so far. Right now it looks like most islands in-game are just the most popular ones on the workshop, probably with a quick pass to make sure they aren't full of dicks and swastikas.

It's what they said in interviews. :shrug:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

I've seen some videos and this game seems kinda cool but also unplayable. I saw a video of a guy shooting another guy for like 30 seconds and nothing happened, likewise there are hostile people just standing around looking at each other as the ships are fighting, am I just watching complete idiots or is this game's pvp really stupid?

I don't know, everything else is so fun that I haven't even bothered with pvp beyond shooting a dude who tried to hijack my ship. And that was pretty cool because we had a grappling hook pistol battle with all of us swinging around shooting.
I think there's some serious bugs with pvp right now but like, it's alpha. Join the alpha if you want to help test it and are willing to give feedback? Otherwise....wait until it's done?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

phourniner posted:

I'd help test if I had a key. :v:

Have they said when they're giving out more keys?

I supposedly going into open beta early access sometime soonish

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

forge posted:

Many good things in the stream today which was a preview of 6.0 alpha. Check discord for specifics. New alpha invites will come with this as well. ETA soonish likely 3/1 from what was said about it being in the final stages for bug fixing.

Invites supposedly go out march 2nd

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

How was the game performing most recently? I took a break and then came back just after the lighting overhaul. It was running really poorly, while before I had had pretty solid fps and only got lag spikes at load walls.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Gotta say, I'm really disappointed by their founder packs. What a weak offering for so steep an asking price. They don't even offer additional "atlas coins" for explorer or captain, and we don't know what they're worth or what you can expect to get with them. not to mention cash shop on a full priced game.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

forge posted:

Official Server is now US server.

I was confirmed to have a much higher population around all time zones. Delete your characters and recreate on US if you want to play with us.

Ugh what? I just deleted my US character to make an EU character.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I have a suggestion thread on the Adrift forums. Maybe you guys can check it out and give me your feedback.
https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/ship-bay-tweaks-improving-clarity/

I feel like this game is really really starved of quality of life improvements. This is the sort of stuff that should have been in the game in alpha let alone beta.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Kylra posted:

Yeah sure I guess I could fall to my death countless times.

First though, what's bad about it at the moment and what's unfinished?

Bad things right now are lag walls that lock up your game for up to a minute and often toss you out of your ship (this has improved significantly in beta. Nowhere near the level it was in alpha), and a lack of quality of life stuff. Some of the core systems like ship designing and building have seen almost no improvement during alpha or in beta. Also of course limited content but honestly, not a problem yet. As is it's already good for 20+ hours of entertainment.

Good things are everything else.

If I had to pick my favourite thing, it's that grappling hooks work near flawlessly. It is so effortless and fun to use, the physics are pretty great, and they're as challenging as you want them to be. I mean that you can really push it and do all kinds of crazy air acrobatics and stunts, or you can play is safe. You feel like spiderman, but more rad because you're making it all work with only one web-slinger. I think they really really nailed it out of the park there, checkmate.

Edit: oh yeah this too \/\/\/\/

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 1, 2017

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

*falling* "What should I save?!" *transfers over berries*

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

dylguy90 posted:

I just made a run at the windwall in my special snowflake double engine ship and got my poo poo kicked in. The only real drag is the ten minute turn time on ships right now, anything I can do to improve that significantly?

Wings will really help with that. And keeping the ship light.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

dylguy90 posted:

Alright, I'll give that a shot with a rebuild. I think my mistake was using the largest frame and then adding to it - didn't realize handling would be affected so drastically.

If you're aiming for the wind wall, but you don't have higher tier engines and wings, you should do 4 engines and power through it. Even in my 3000 kg ship I get tossed around if my engines cut out.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Kylra posted:

I made a 1.2t exploration boat out of some stuff I found lying around.

Nice :D

Let's post our ships people!

The ship is bigger than it looks. Took hours to build.

It weighs 4500 and had 6 engines. Paneling it was a nightmare.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

7c Nickel posted:

HEY THIS IS THE SKY CITIZEN SPACESHIP THREAD RIGHT?

Yes it is. Prepare to spend thousands on this game.

:awesome:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Took a break because of how bad the memory leak in this game is. Decided to try out the island creator instead.

It also has a memory leak.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

futile posted:

drat this game looks real bad

I love bad games

Is it true the FPS in the beta is complete poo poo though? Like 20-30fps?

It varies a lot, mostly dependent on island size and number of big ships in the area or loose parts on the ground. Also of course the memory leak has performance dropping over time until it crashes.

I think beta was a bit pre-mature, but it really is a good game. Just needs a poo poo ton of work.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Tempus Thales posted:

Another game we are immortalized by pubbies...

Seriously? Caton lives matter? That's actually kinda tasteless. Please continue to enforce sky law with extreme prejudice.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Why on earth aren't you linking this stuff? You're driving us insane.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

It probably wouldn't be very sturdy, but tin ship parts are yellow.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I really think they need to give up on or severely rethink panels. They are enormous fps siphons and add several years to build and repair times.

Tollymain posted:

the sails can go on the bottom of the boat

landing underneath islands would require a change in shipyard behavior

Upside down sails make you sail backwards btw. It makes zero sense but here we are.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Fog Tripper posted:

On a different subject, do clothes make any difference beyond aesthetics? I have ones that claim to protect against: critters, wind, the elements, and "mechanics"?

I don't think so? It would be the first I've heard of it. Post a screeny of your character equip menu showing you wearing it and with the tooltip for the clothes open?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Raged posted:

Weren't spawn rates for the compass/instruments supposed to be increased? Been running around the T2 area for days and opened a stupid number of chests and still haven't found one.

Don't want to lose a third ship running the storm wall without one.

I don't think they made them more common, they just moved them to a lower tier's loot table.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Raged posted:

Any tips getting through the storm wall without a compass?

I have a big all iron exterior ship with lead casing for all 4 tier 3 engines, generator and core.
Sadly the 4 wings are wood because even the one tier 3 wing schematic I have only has wood casing and I am pretty sure I have every diary entry and knowledge tube in the available zones.Comes in at 1798. Think I need to lighten it to add more wings it turns like a beast.

Would it be easier to do the sand wall solo instead? There is one available.

Get the highest power engines you're able to, and put them inside the ships hull. Have one or two people repairing nonstop, preferably one dedicated to below decks repairing core + engines and bottom decking. Put the best pilot on the helm, and have them use the wind ribbon to navigate. Take note of the direction of the wind and position of the ribbon as you enter the storm wall and make corrections constantly to keep the ribbon in the same position as when you entered. Wind direction doesn't change inside walls yet. I suspect adding stuff to your ship like bar pipes and fins will soak up a lot of the lightening but that's unconfirmed.

That's what worked for me anyway (I was on helm). Made it through completely intact first try.
Did an inspection of the ship on the other side. Our shark fin wing took a beating and seemed to draw a lot of the lightening (could have just been weird RNG)

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The problem is the grinding in this game is best done solo, while pvping is better done in a group. The result is we usually play solo because 90% of the game is just grinding.

Easy to think that at first, but after a while of playing with a crewmate or two, you can amass a large stockpile of duplicate journal entries, each of which give you 15 knowledge. You just transfer all of them into your inventory, go through them all and then throw the ones you already have back in the box for someone else. Knowledge databanks are good knowledge, but journal entries have made up most of mine. After playing with people, I hit T4 engine unlocks very quickly with 2-3 people bringing back journal entries and finding all the databanks quickly.

This just isn't a solo game, and I really love it for that. It's the only MMO where my friends can't power level well beyond me ever catching up. There's been zero grind for me since playing with people.

Here's a hot tip to eliminate the rest of the grind for you. You hardly have to bother with mining nodes. I've only used mining nodes to get atlas shards. Looting scrap piles gives you loads of metal while you're just wandering around looking for chests. When an island you're on or approaching starts shaking and you hear lightening, that's called an understorm, and every time that happens, all the loot containers on the island reset. You can just sweep through and loot everything and be sitting pretty.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Kylra posted:

I unironically look forward to playing Air Pirate Grapple Mario Maker Super Expert.

Yes please

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Stokes posted:

I finally decide to buy a key and they pull sales. About how often do they put it back up for sale?

I think I read that they plan to release keys on Wednesdays now

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Have they updated or improved the ship buillding part of the game at all since alpha?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I think I'd still be playing if they spent some time improving the building ships part of the game. It's too tedious and awkward. It's got great bones but needs work. As it stands I'll probably just keep waiting for improvements there.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Uncle Spriggly posted:

I'm sure updates will make the game more populous, but I really wonder if there are enough interested people to keep the game in development for a few more months or years...

It might not matter. Some companies use early access to fund development, but some just use it to pad a pre-existing dev budget. They might be fine to just keep plugging away regardless of current player-base and make more money on release. I hope that's the case.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Raskolnikov posted:

If awkward developer videos are your thing, they've been doing a ton more of this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8A6g-sYvq0

so awkward, but also, at times, adorable. Man that dude DOES look like a beautiful pirate woman.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

BurtLington posted:

Anyway yeah I just feel like it’s kinda pointless doing that much expensive poo poo for a launch event. Hopefully I’m wrong though.

I too am pretty worried about this. This seems like a bizarre and ill thought out waste of money. Also the "airship" is literally just a table and chairs anchored to a metal slab held up by a crane. It doesn't even look like you can stand up once you sit down and they raise it up. Sorry if you gotta piss I guess? This is so confusing.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

They really need to work on how the early game plays. It takes too long to get materials, get the knowledge you need to build, design a ship, print all the needed parts, and then assemble the ship. And you can only fly using sails at first, which snap off if you wink at them. It's just too much for new players to go through all that and then not be able to escape veteran players (Who're in the starting zone because they're bored and no one is anywhere else.) They have to repeat all those gathering and building steps each time. You have to manually place all of those parts each time.

There needs to be smaller, less costly entry parts that you can whip up quickly and get in the sky. Faster ground to air time can only improve a game where everything is in the loving sky.

I also think they made a huge mistake with the current atlas core design. Lumping all this poo poo together into a huge wad leaves very little flexibility with design. You either psychically made a wide enough ship to comfortably fit all the arbitrarily sized upgrade parts without cutting off access to other parts of your ship, or you start over from scratch.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Just jumped back into this recently to see what's different. Lot's of nice changes and updates. I'm absolutely flabbergasted that ship designing and building is the same as it has been since the start of Alpha though. What on earth are they waiting for? It's like, the central aspect of this game.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Jackard posted:

That's what I've been telling them!

Why wont they listen to you? It's really bad.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Songbearer posted:

Is PVE a good, chill time for solo players? I liked making effortships that were just flying houseboats but it seemed a risky prospect making anything that wasn't just disposable in PVP.

Yes. I'm mostly solo and I sometimes team up with people I meet. The PvE server is honestly my idea of how the game should be in the first place. Having the top tier zone be the dangerous pvp land lets other players get their legs and learn the game. (There does need to be more clarity on what rules change once you enter T4 though. They need to work on that).The PVP zone runs across the middle of the map so you have to cross it to get to the pve zones on the other side. It's such a brilliant setup I can't imagine myself playing the game any other way. I've had way more fun and interesting player interactions on PvE than the entire alpha and beta prior to it. I also tend to build more interesting ships now, and feel more comfortable having fun with lite RP stuff.

I'd love to get on that. I have a lot of BIG IDEAS™ and I'm pretty passionate about this game. I'm really uncertain about how their selection process works though and it sounds like there was and is a lot of people kinda upset about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Jackard posted:

They draw from names that people put into a hat.

ah...