Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Rubio would be a great homeopathic salesman after this election cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Amused to Death posted:

lol for what google/AP is worth, at the current results, Sanders actually came out one delegate ahead in Missouri and Kasich(with 19% of the vote) wound up with 4 delegates in Illinois while Cruz(with 30%) has none.

It's the other way around. Hillary won Missouri by 1 delegate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

Rubio would be a great homeopathic salesman after this election cycle.

Well he won the homeopathic Super Tuesday 3.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

XK posted:

The potential risk of GMO isn't really that people who consume them would have ill effects. To be fair, that did happen once with tryptophan supplements. The actual legitimate risk of GMO foods is that a genetic sequence with unforeseen negative environmental consequences manages to escape into the wild.

How would labeling prevent this

GMO labeling is a slap in the face of science. If you support it, you hate science. Don't hate science.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Jhanez posted:

Yes, that's true. Do you think it's accurate and useful to frame this as a sudden and devastating lack of procedural collegiality? That one day congresspeople just woke up and decided that they were no longer willing to compromise? It seems far more plausible to me that they and their constituencies have actually and fundamentally different values that they perceive of as being under threat, because people act ways for reasons, and a sudden attack of the no-get-alongsies doesn't make any sense at all.
This article is still relevant:

quote:

I was standing in the National Mall, surrounded by nearly a quarter million people, when I realized I wasn’t a liberal.

I had come to Washington, along with 215,000 others, to participate in Jon Stewart’s “Rally to Restore Sanity,” an event inspired by Glenn Beck’s “Rally to Restore Honor.” The festival reached its height as the spectators were treated to a video montage of fire-breathing pundits from all the major news networks denouncing their political opponents.

The message was clear: Those who tell you there are fundamental differences between Americans that are worth getting emphatically angry about are lying to you.

This divided America — an America that contains people with radically different values and radically different ideas of what a just, moral society looks like — does not exist. If it seems otherwise, it is simply because, as one sign at the rally put it, we fail to use our “inside voices.”

Standing in the crowd, I felt my eyebrows furrow. True, the antics of cable news conflict do nothing to contribute to the national discourse. True, most American citizens are more complex than the buffoons we rightly dismiss as “pundits.” Yet for all their shameless spectacle-making, the talking heads of the national news media do get one thing right: There are substantial, and fundamental, oppositions between Americans.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/07/why-im-not-a-liberal/

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

zoux posted:

Well he won the homeopathic Super Tuesday 3.

If only he had stayed in, he could have continued diluting his share of the vote. Once he got down to .5% and bottled those ballots and drank that poo poo, he would have the republican nomination locked up.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I bet Bernie can predict rain two days out based on the feeling in his left knee.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

zoux posted:

Tell that to kudzu.

kudzu's invasiveness is greatly overrated http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/true-story-kudzu-vine-ate-south-180956325/?no-ist

in general on this topic of unintended negative consequences from artificial selection i think societies will continue to suffer from ecological damage as they always have since the dawn of human history, and that the effects will increase in scale as our ecological footprint increases and our methods get more effective, and that we need to be proactive about preventing that but will only do so tardily, so that the cost will be paid disproportionately by the world's poorest people. that's not a doomsday scenario though, it's just business as usual

we need people on the other side of the tug of war with people who profit from considering ecological damage as an externality, and labels are really not a big deal either way, so if this is what gets donations to the nrdc and other organizations that fight the effective battles then hey whatever, it's not the least efficient approach ever

just some thoughts ~

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Al! posted:

I hope gmo labeling gets passed just for the hilarious moment you walk into the store and see that label slapped on practically everything

I want it to pass for this too, so all the anti-GMO Luddites will conform to their agribusiness overlords or starve

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

on the other hand farming really could use some decentralization and bringing back local markets via organic kale merchants is a roundabout but probably effective way of doing that

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

oystertoadfish posted:

kudzu's invasiveness is greatly overrated http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/true-story-kudzu-vine-ate-south-180956325/?no-ist

in general on this topic of unintended negative consequences from artificial selection i think societies will continue to suffer from ecological damage as they always have since the dawn of human history, and that the effects will increase in scale as our ecological footprint increases and our methods get more effective, and that we need to be proactive about preventing that but will only do so tardily, so that the cost will be paid disproportionately by the world's poorest people. that's not a doomsday scenario though, it's just business as usual

we need people on the other side of the tug of war with people who profit from considering ecological damage as an externality, and labels are really not a big deal either way, so if this is what gets donations to the nrdc and other organizations that fight the effective battles then hey whatever, it's not the least efficient approach ever

just some thoughts ~

Well the point is that nature's niches aren't actually locked in and invasive better competing species push out native species all the time.

Not that I'm against GMO or anything, but ecosystems can be pretty fragile.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I feel like labeling food products which contain ingredients that may cause abnormal health issues is a no-brainer. Like if something's 80% sugar it says it's 80% sugar. Not telling me what I'm stuffing in my fat disgusting body leads me to believe you have sinister motives.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

I feel like labeling food products which contain ingredients that may cause abnormal health issues is a no-brainer. Like if something's 80% sugar it says it's 80% sugar. Not telling me what I'm stuffing in my fat disgusting body leads me to believe you have sinister motives.

Except there are no abnormal health issues caused by being GMO compared to naturally mutagenic(aka every lifeform on Earth) products. Putting a label on something is an implicit message that it's something that NEEDS labeling.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

axeil posted:

Oh it's only because they haven't allocated MO yet.

No, it's because he lost Ohayou and it was impossible to get enough delegates elsewhere to make up for it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

The entire commentariat is going to feel a little silly when Marco Rubio wins every Republican primary.

https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/647401086056271872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The entire commentariat is going to feel a little silly when Marco Rubio wins every Republican primary.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Oh look a jacobin link out in the wild, you don't see to many of these outside of D&D these days.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

zoux posted:

Well the point is that nature's niches aren't actually locked in and invasive better competing species push out native species all the time.

Not that I'm against GMO or anything, but ecosystems can be pretty fragile.

i mostly rambled but first off youre right that niches aren't locked in, even without human intervention there's really no such thing as a steady state.

i guess my qualification to that, which kudzu serves as a good example of, is that the degree to which an invasive species changes an ecosystem is often exaggerated, in this case basically for literary purposes

ima ramble again now. adaptation is a constant process for all members of an ecosystem including us, with benefits and costs that should be managed with more care then they usually are. often ecosystems fail in ways that hurt lots of individuals and societies including human ones, like Easter island or the microbial genocide of the native Americans; what's really surprising to me is how often the result has positive elements for ecosystem members, considering the intensity of the change we've introduced globally, from deforestation to the Columbian exchange.

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Mar 16, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Why are people calling the kids who are 18-19 backing Bernie "Millennials?" I turn 29 soon and millennials was my generation. I already went through the double heartbreak of seing my primary and general candidates go down in my first serious election with Dean and Kerry 12 years ago.

Get your own name, 1997-1998 births. We've already had the Millennial experience. You guys were too young for 9/11, the Iraq War, Katrina, Obama 08, and the Recession.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Don't you fools see. Take off the bias goggles and accept that Bernie is actually WINNING and is INEVITABLE!! Hillary is UNELECTABLE!! These US Uncut head to head polls say that explicitly!!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Why are people calling the kids who are 18-19 backing Bernie "Millennials?" I turn 29 soon and millennials was my generation. I already went through the double heartbreak of seing my primary and general candidates go down in my first serious election with Dean and Kerry 12 years ago.

Get your own name, 1997-1998 births. We've already had the Millennial experience. You guys were too young for 9/11, the Iraq War, Katrina, Obama 08, and the Recession.

I thought people your age were called generation Y and people younger were millenials.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Jewel Repetition posted:

I thought people your age were called generation Y and people younger were millenials.

I'm pretty sure generation y and millenials are two different names for the same group.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

Al! posted:

I hope gmo labeling gets passed just for the hilarious moment you walk into the store and see that label slapped on practically everything

well thats why i visit co-ops and small sustainable organic farms :)

try it goon lorg sperg human being

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Millenial: The generation which didn't ever not have GPS on them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Millenial: The generation which didn't ever not have GPS on them.

I'm a millennial by most definitions and my first years of computing not only didn't involve GPS, but actually consisted entirely of command line fuckery in MSDOS

I don't think a new generation is allowed to be birthed until the youngest one decides an election that the 18 year Olds aren't entirely happy with

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

axeil posted:

Nah they've already learned it in one area: dating and they lost their goddamned minds over it. Thats why you see them dehumanizing women by calling them females, being redpillers, getting mad that a woman had sex with not-them, "nice guys", etc.

Basically they're spoiled children.

LOL I bet they wear fedoras, too

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I like being in the age range where I fall in between Gen X and millennials so I can claim or disown whichever I choose. That being said, everyone sucks, gently caress them.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Does anyone know what youth turnout numbers were like yesterday?? They must have been low for Bernie to lose this bad.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

fknlo posted:

I like being in the age range where I fall in between Gen X and millennials so I can claim or disown whichever I choose. That being said, everyone sucks, gently caress them.

High five! Being born in 1980 rules!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Does anyone know what youth turnout numbers were like yesterday?? They must have been low for Bernie to lose this bad.

Pinterest Mom posted:

IL was 17% under 30, Ohio 16%, Florida 17%, Missouri 17%, New Hampshire 17%.

That seems p normal to me, idk.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yeah I always thought I was gen y until this year when I apparently became a millennial

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

Yeah I always thought I was gen y until this year when I apparently became a millennial

Hello, I am Hillary and you will surrender to me your vote.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

A lot of universities are on spring break this week and that certainly isn't helping

Bernie pulls surprise upsets when youth turnout is especially high, so when it's merely "about normal" it's a big loss

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fullhouse posted:

A lot of universities are on spring break this week and that certainly isn't helping

Bernie pulls surprise upsets when youth turnout is especially high, so when it's merely "about normal" it's a big loss

Michigan was 14%, Oklahoma was 12%.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gently caress da Mods posted:

well thats why i visit co-ops and small sustainable organic farms :)

try it goon lorg sperg human being

you'd be surprised to learn that a lot of that stuff is gmo too loser

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
what the gently caress happened to the slacker generation

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

My favorite desperate Bernie supporter flailing of the day was seeing someone cling to a possible 16 delegates from Americans Abroad as some kind of reason to keep up the fight.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

pathetic little tramp posted:

they mostly died of AIDS and drug overdoses

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Al! posted:

they mostly died of AIDS and drug overdoses

Or killed in the Middle East. They were the sergeants and captains in the Army and Marines when 9/11 rolled around.

e: Gen X is defined as widely as born 1965-1980, so you conveniently get everyone 21-36 years old at 9/11.

sean10mm has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Mar 16, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

That's always the generation after yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Or killed in the Middle East. They were the sergeants and captains in the Army and Marines when 9/11 rolled around.

I was being flip but huh:

• Locked thread