Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Chaucer posted:

As far as I am aware, your previous employer can confirm what your salary was. I heard a secondhand story of a big consulting firm pulling an offer after learning that their new hire lied.

If I had a gun to my head, I'd frame the dollar figure as my "total compensation," hoping they'd misinterpret and giving me an out if they asked why my number is 20% above my base salary. My company actually quantifies my total comp in a year-end report every year so I'd have the perfect excuse.

Total comp is way more important than salary anyways. I never tell them what I make. If they ask for a number I just say it depends on the total comp.

My company does the same year end report, pretty neat to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Tots... Have you even talked to your manager at all? Do you have monthly 1 on 1's and is he agreeing with your amazing performance? If your manager is good, which it sounds to me like he is as you started higher up then you should have, he will get it come review time. You need to have those talks, plant the seeds, take on the hard project. You can then go in before the review and say it has been a great year, I really performed, I am currently here in the pay grade and I think I deserve to be up here. That actually does work. Companies reward people who they want to keep and value.

It happened just like that for me. I was making $59k and took a lateral in another state for $72 (with lots of room for growth). Kicked rear end and got a big raise year 1 (was at the bottom of the grade and clearly was at the top of performance and my boss agreed), kicked rear end promotion and bigger raise year 2, year three... Kicked rear end with a good raise, year 4 super kicked rear end and right now I make $108k. Granted I work at a great place and wanted to work hard and move up.

I would be putting your energy into your current job since there is a lot of potential there, unless you hate all the people then leave.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The amount of people who counter with a range is amazing me. This is the third person I have tried to hire to do it. When you put you want 90-95k that means 90k (which means I counter lower). Hopefully none of you are doing this.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would probably pull the offer of you tried to pull that poo poo honestly.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Wow, that is just a pile of garbage.

I will say that you are in the better position though. They want you and don't want to pay what they are and they trust you. I would probably just decline saying it is better for you working with the recruiter. They will either keep you in that role, find someone else to train again (that could be worse), or maybe offer you more money.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 23, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Inept posted:

This is just me, but I'd negotiate for paid leave instead of a bonus. Bonuses are never guaranteed.

This is a good idea.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dik Hz posted:

If you're currently gainfully employed, walk away. That's some bullshit. A six month review will never happen, Unlimited PTO is a trap for new employees, and bonus eligibility is completely meaningless unless it's guaranteed. Don't get paid in promises.

He works there now through an agency. So it is definitely a weird situation.

I would probably come back at $75k and if they can't do that just stick with the contract work with them.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The question you have to ask as well is, is 75k appropriate for the position? Nothing like getting more money but if other qualified people are willing to do the job for 75k and you demand 80k you might be out of luck.

I tried to hire a guy and had a good back up (he just had less experience). I could do 106k, he wouldn't budge off $120k. So I withdrew the offer and got the younger guy for 82k.

I think you will be fine, especially if 75k is what you would have said without the recruiter saying a range and it is fair for the job.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I reply to them all the time. One guy was looking for a senior engineer in Boston for....80k.

I told him that no one will take this job. He did reply in a sad tone that the hiring company won't pay a real wage.

I reply a lot of the time with, did you even read my current job?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It probably is fine to do a phone interview. You said you probably wouldn't relocate so take the first step and see. If they ask for another interview you can decide if it is worth going further.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

In this case though he said he was making market for old responsibilities. He got new responsibilities, stretch/growth goals? He feels like he is crushing it. My advice would be to go in and talk about a raise based on the additional responsibilities and doing well at it. Especially if he is happy with the place he works otherwise.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hell yeah nice job

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It should be in your employee handbook what type of moonlighting you can do. If you get the new job it may be a conflict and you would not be able to continue. Since you already work there you should know all the rules or have access to them. I would start there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pretty good outcome considering you had very little leverage

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

10% rule here if moving up a grade.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Motronic posted:

What was your tax burden?

This is typically the problem.

Also, there was no vesting period? You have all of this equity vested right now/as of signing? That's kinda of a red flag to me as to management experience/quality.

He said the vesting period ends this fall which is somewhere around 4-5 years.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Vacation at an established company is basically a non starter unless you are pretty high up. That is what I have seen mostly.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bamhand posted:

Wait, is it one way or round trip? 90 minute round trip is pretty reasonable. Don't do it if it's one way.

Both suck. Especially going from 5 min.

My requirement is under 20 min bike ride.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bamhand posted:

45 minutes is extremely normal for any kind of urban area. Sure you can have your specific preferences but for most people that would eliminate >70% of their job opportunities.

Yeah, people do it but not exactly fun or good. People choose to commute long distances by car. They put their priorities on whatever that other stuff is.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sometimes people just need someone to ask and confirm what they think and how they feel. Relax people.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would probably do what you plan but you do have 60 days to accept COBRA as long as you pay your premium before day 60. Also your employer may not offer COBRA coverage if it is a very small company as they can be exempt I believe.

So if your new coverage starts on labor day you could just do a wait and see.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Cacafuego posted:

Reading that has got me wondering. For the people that actually are hiring managers, what do you do with someone who you’ve done the legwork to being in for an interview and you want them for the position and they drop a ridiculously high salary requirement on you?

Do you drop them immediately and laugh about how foolish their ask was? Do you tell them you only budgeted for half of what they’re asking for and try to negotiate from there? Do you keep looking for someone with a similar skill set that will take a lower rate? Do you re-evaluate the budget for that role?

Last person I hired wanted $120k. I could afford $105k. Tried to convince him on 401k match, pension, good cheap insurance, 40 hour weeks, etc and he walked. Got candidate 2 for $82k. Just business. If people put a ridiculous number down I just don't call them. If it is during the interview I just note it and hope I have better candidates.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That part is dumb. A girl I hired asked for $68k which was the bottom of my bracket. I offered $72k and she was more than happy. Started off on the right foot and had been a great employee (just got her a $1000 spot bonus today even).

People should have some idea what they are worth but crazy out of the realm on the low side shouldn't be taken advantage of.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is a bummer. I agree that I would pass unless you really know you want management experience (if you don't have any) and then bounce in a year. Surprising that a business with defined grades would not require everyone with those defined responsibilities to be in that grade.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is also possible that managers know the market and what they need to pay and don't want to deal with the BS. I usually make a fair offer (within company pay bands, we pay less than consulting) with a bit of room. I will not lose someone over $1000 but I don't really want to have a huge back and forth.

I feel a bit bad for the last guy I hired since he went from $90k in New Orleans to $82k in Denver. But that is where I could pay based on his skills and certifications. He had similar experience to a guy that works for me making $83k. I kind of could not pay him more (my boss didn't want to stretch it or pay him more than my other guy) and I had him over a barrel since he wanted to work at the company and his wife took a job in Denver so he was moving here regardless.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If he goes he goes. Wasn't my top choice. Where he came from paid oddly high for not having his PE. He can make more consulting but he will work 50-60 hours a week instead of 40. Honestly if he just takes his PE exam and passes I can promote him.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ranidas posted:

Out of curiosity, what kind of work do you do that a PE matters? Civil Engineering or something where people need to sign off on plans?

I'm in plastics engineering and I've never heard having a PE even mentioned in terms of career advancement, no one seems to care about it in the field.

Structural engineering. Need FE to get to engineer 2, PE to get to engineer 3. Nothing leaves our office without a PE seal on it.

E: so if you can't seal I need another engineer to be the lead and then another engineer to be the reviewer.

E2: C-Euro definitely wait to give notice. I can't pick a start date for my hires until they pass the background check. If they gave notice and failed that or the drug screening.... Just kinda of SOL...

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 27, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Never been involved with a start up but I still think the op did a good job getting~20% more in cash. Even if it all crashes and burns in 6 months if they pay him for six months that is an extra 10k in his pocket. It also sounds like he wants to work there and do the work and he is willing to do it for the 130k. So maybe he is off base on the whole thing but it sounds like he is happy with where he is going. Not sure why everyone is making GBS threads on him so hard (honestly I don't think he even knows what his value is, if it is so niche then asking a few others isn't going to work. It is going to be widely variable based on the company). His other option is crap atm. Go work there and see what is what and leave if it isn't what he thought.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bamhand posted:

I mean no one decides if they're happy with their pay in a vacuum. So I'm under the impression that as a consultant, and with my particular company, my pay is generally higher than what most other people in a similar industry role receives. So if I'm to move out of consulting maybe I'm wondering if I should be happy with minimal or even no pay increase. Or if I should try to spend more effort shopping around and get more money.

It's not logical but in the end a person is going to be a happier if they know their salary is in the 90th percentile and the 20th percentile for their industry even if the actual number is the same. Plus if you're getting an offer that you know is at the 90th percentile then you know that you likely can't find a better one. It's silly to pick some personal number that works for you without paying attention to what's an appropriate salary for the job you're applying for.

So my question is essentially, is there enough of a difference in consulting vs industry salaries that I shouldn't be expecting to make much more than I am now?

The answer is yes. A guy I hired went from 130K in Madison to 120K in Denver. He went from Being gone from home 5-8 days a month and working 55-60 hours to almost zero yearly travel and 40 hours a week. Consulting -> Industry. I think I pay him 132K right now (2 ish years later). It is up to you but in my example he is making more per hour worked and quality of life is hard to beat with his wife and now 2 kids. I had another guy who wouldn't make the same compromise coming from consulting. He took another consulting gig and works 60 hours a week, making 15K more a year. For him it wasn't worth it.

E: This is considering you moving laterally for basically the same position (that was the case in both my examples).

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 5, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Vegetable posted:

When you finally do negotiate with them, I’d ask for more than your current salary. You shouldn’t believe that the provided range is accurate. In plenty of places a hiring manager can find their way around it.

When companies have pay grades and it is published on the intranet usually you are stuck in them. In my experience I can't offer outside the band, I can't even give someone a raise if it pushes them outside the band. When you get to HR being that well setup it is hard to get them to budge at all. Every company is different of course though, just my experience.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Completely agree. It is not that middle management is not aware or does not care. So often the hands are just tied.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What city were you in before? Midwest City to Denver area is a huge COL adjustment. I made the move in 2011 and went from 58 -> 75 and would say it was generally an even swap. Rents and housing have gone crazy since then. You should be good on 88k be things can get pretty pricey, especially in Boulder. Congrats on the new job.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

TheSpartacus posted:

Springfield Il. I live 20 miles from boulder, so I dont get hit with the ridiculous COL. My wife makes 30% more too so its definitely not been a like for like swap for us. We are actually financially healthy for the first time!

Awesome. I want sure if you were in process or not. Congrats to you both and welcome to the neighborhood.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ultimate Mango posted:

What is this threads view on employer contribution to benefits (or employee’s cost) as a part of total comp?

My last 3 jobs were all with small ish companies, and coming to a larger firm the difference is staggering. I think new employer is putting in at least $20k per year more into my benefits staggering. Both better benefits and significantly less employee contribution.

It is very important to consider. My company does a yearly document for us that lists all our comp. So salary, PTO, bonus, health Care, etc. Above my car salary and PTO the company puts in about $50k. Cool to see how it is changed as well in the last 8 years.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rex-Goliath posted:

What all do I need to consider if I switch over to contract work? 31 years old in PA for health insurance, single. A recruiter hit me up with a one year contract and the hourly rate is.... wow. Also it’s a year long.

My long term goal has been to eventually contract on my own and eventually start my own consulting firm. Was planning on waiting a few more years until I really jumped in but if it falls into my lap like this then why not?

Generally you will want to be a minimum of 3x your hourly pay as an employee. Without knowing anything else about your situation.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

They should be able to at least lay out a bonus target, even if it is not guaranteed. My bonus is never guaranteed but I am least know about what it could be if the company is doing well (15% of my salary). Based on the quarterly metrics I have a pretty good idea of what I will get.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Giving up $1k for 5 PTO days is well worth it. I used to be able to buy PTO and it was way more expensive than that (basically your hourly pay rate times 40). Nice job man.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

This is uncomfortable is spot on about why you need to do what you need to do to get paid. Worth it to give a listen.

https://www.marketplace.org/shows/this-is-uncomfortable-reema-khrais/f-you-pay-me/

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s good but unless I misheard something (she intentionally asked for less than the really high number she knew some other people made?) it feels like that first woman left money on the table and is perpetuating the cycle with her younger coworkers.

I thought the same and scrolled back. She asked for $10k more than the guys who responded to her told her they made. So she actually was really smart. But I had to listen to it a second time because I completely heard the same thing as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

He still has no leverage but if it is customary for a raise at the end of the probation period he can at least point to the additional responsibilities and ask for more money.

quote:

When I was hired, I understood that I would have a 90-day probationary period and then become a regular employee and receive a raise at that time. From that point on, reviews are conducted annually and compensation adjusted appropriately at that time. Since then, I have heard that employees even a single paygrade above mine typically expect a $1-$2 raise at their reviews. I don't know for sure what mine will look like, and my review is scheduled for a couple weeks from now.

He really should want to make this review go well. Highlight the good work completed, additional responsibilities, etc. He probably will be stuck with whatever raise they want to give him (if any). He at least has a forum for discussion.