Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Sundae posted:

Yep. Unless you have reliable inside income (aka not what HR says) on how the company treats its bonuses, always treat bonuses as surprise income and don't count on them to make ends meet.

This is so true - I had four separate jobs where I was never paid my bonus, even at the highest evaluation levels! I was shocked when my last two regularly paid bonuses because I was so used to getting nothing. It became a regular part of my negotiations to take cuts on my bonus to get my base salary up. It was also a good way to tell when they weren't really serious about paying bonuses. ("Oh, ummm, we can't give you a 10k bonus cut to raise your salary by 5... we don't really usually have that money")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

solution architects at my company actually do solution design and it architecture and are paid in the mid six figgies

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Does the "mid six figgies" imply $150k or 500k?

150 base with 20-40% bonus depending on how well you negotiate plus stock

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

but yeah lol mid six figgies in my world means 150k

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

One dollar. Then claim that you misunderstood the question

I've definitely put 0 in questions like this before and made it to the interview phase, YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

more anecdata: mine is a big company (~10-20B revenue) and matches 6%/6% with an addn'l 3% from the company that vests over 5 years unless you have 5 years service then it vests immediately