Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I just want to say that the banner ad and a mis-click were very fortuitous as I'm actually getting ready to interview currently.

I'll try and have a story later today on if I hosed up or not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Question for the thread: I've recently accepted an offer, and now it's time to move forward with a background screen, drug test, etc.

I'm 100% confident that I will pass all of that with ease, as I am an incredibly boring person. However, the one thing I'm wondering is how much I should care about the step where they reach out to my current employer. I intend to give my 2 weeks once I have passed everything. In the meantime, should I be concerned that having someone call and inquire about me might flag me in the system or something? For what it's worth, I work for a very large company, so I have to imagine that whoever fields these calls gets hundreds a day and is just going through the process as fast as possible.

Still, though, wondered if anyone could provide any color around that specific piece of the process!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

spwrozek posted:

Put your two weeks in once you pass everything and have a start date.

Yep!

Just wondering if the call to my current employer would somehow flag me in their system or something.

Sounds like "probably not", though.

Edit: Is employment verified in this matter with something as simple as when doing credit checks?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

skipdogg posted:

Have they told you they're going to contact your current employer?

Most large companies use an automated service like TheWorkNumber.com to verify employment. The company I just started with used a 3rd party company to verify my employment history, and I provided some redacted W-2 statements, and a redacted current pay stub and that was all they needed.

A third party company is handling this background check. Part of their process is to contact the current employer; I can ask them not to, but then that makes extra paperwork for me (and could potentially slow things down).

Thanatosian posted:

Employment checks get done for things other than switching jobs, like loan applications.

Excellent. Of course, if they say "We're from NewHireVerificationCompany, tell me about this person", then that gives the game away I suppose. (I don't know if they would announce who they are or not)

Chainclaw posted:

Usually you should tell them not to contact your current employer, and they'll respect that request.

Yeah. I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra hassle or not. I was curious if people in this thread generally make that request, or just let the background verification people just do whatever.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

If you've already accepted the offer having them find out by your future employer calling to verify is a hell of a power move though

Hah, true, although I'm not sure I'm a PowerMove(TM) kinda guy :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

m0therfux0r posted:

You can just sign up for an account on the IRS website and pull your transcripts from the years that you worked there to prove it. If you have them ready it slows things down by like... an hour. I've had to do this twice because a company that I worked for went bankrupt and by the time I was out of unemployment, it no longer existed so there was no way to contact them. If you haven't settled your pay for the new job yet (which I hadn't the first time I had to do this), they accepted the transcripts with the income blacked out without any issue. It sounds like you have settled it though so you might even be able to send those right over.

But yeah, I have never ever had a company contact my current job when I've said no. The only time I put a reference for my current job on an application was when I had a manager that I was *already* friends with before I worked there and they were encouraging me to apply to other jobs because our company was underpaying me and after like 2 review cycles of her trying to convince management to give me more money they kept refusing. I doubt that this is your situation.

Good info! You are correct that that is not my situation, haha.

Yeah, I was trying to decide if I should allow the verification service to to contact my current employer, and it sounds like it's probably not worth it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I feel like there is a story behind the last two posts :allears:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TheSpartacus posted:

It doesn't help the recruiter is from out of state. I just gently reminded them that to be able to answer their question fully, I needed to be informed of their expected pay range.

The funny part is that this law captures ALL remote jobs in the US, as they can reasonably be done from Colorado.

Can they get around it by asking what you want for compensation, rather than what you were making?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

spwrozek posted:

No, the law says:

Each job-vacancy posting will have to disclose the hourly wage or salary, or the hourly wage or salary range, along with a general description of all benefits and other compensation offered.

I just looked at our CO postings and we have the pay band and a link to benefits on the bottom of each.

drat, that owns.

While I don't have quite that much information where I'm at, my Fortune 100 company (probably) pays some consulting firm an absurd amount of money to benchmark against their peers to make sure they're not paying us too much or too little. I can see what my internal salary band is, so I have a decent idea of what to expect for similar work at basically any other Fortune 100 company. While it's still less information than I'd like going into a negotiation, it has helped.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Yeah, I think the "standard" way that a hiring process goes is that you finish all the interviews, then are presented with an offer, and then you negotiate. That's the Platonic Ideal, anyway; I always have someone trying to get numbers up front.

Speaking of, now is probably the time for me to tell my own Thread Story. Let's title it, I hosed Up and Said a Number, Sorry Thread or maybe Knowing When You've Won is Key.

Recently I got a cold-message on LinkedIn "Nice profile, wanna chat?" and it turned out to be someone with a Fortune 100 company. During the first call, they said "Oh I see you work at $Company, they pay pretty well, what would it take you to come over to us?" and I was like "Oh gee total compensation, don't want to just reduce it to a single number, everything is different, let's talk about the role first shall we?" but they were insistent and said, "Oh, well, before we do that, I just wanna see if you're in the range, y'know, if we should even move through the process" and wouldn't take "No" for an answer.

Sidebar: Now, I'm lucky enough that I knew how the salary bands at $Company worked, what the min/mid/max of the next several salary grades were, along with the bonus structure for each of those grades. This new job is in a MUCH more expensive market, BUT I'm also friends with people in my field in that market, so I have a decent idea of what they make. Not perfect information, but I'm not going in blind either.

Back to the story: Not wanting to make this person mad, I finally tossed out a number that I knew I wouldn't see for at least 2 more promotions (which would be 4-5 years from now, if my career stayed on track, I didn't have to take any lateral moves, etc.). They said it was within the range. However, I made it a point to stress several times that "That number assumes all things being equal w/r/t benefits, and I'm also taking a guess at the cost of living differential". So I tried to hedge it a bit.

Moving through the interviews, we get to the end and they send me the benefits info on a Friday, with some homework to research the area and to wait for them to reach out with an offer on Monday. I was told to assume salary would be the number I quoted them (of course it was :rolleyes: , this is where I likely done hosed myself). Long story short: benefits were . . . different. Better in some ways, worse in others. So I built a spreadsheet, as I do, and dove into cost of living research. Math told me that the thread was right and I was a loving idiot: it would be a stretch to try and maintain my current standard of living in the new market on the number I quoted. gently caress. So I did more math, made some what-if scenarios: I would probably be comfortable on 5% or 6% more. I decided that 10% more would be my win condition - that would give me plenty of flex room for anything unforeseen (tax differentials that I ignored/fudged, etc.)

So they called back and asked what I thought. I said "I really want this to work, I did the homework, and I don't know if I can make the first number work. What I can say is that if we can get to [new number], I'm an automatic yes, I'll sign right now." Short silence. Then, almost suspiciously: "How did you come up with that?" So I laid out my math on the differential in benefits, the cost of living adjustment. "Are you a hard no on the current number?" I decided to be honest here: "No, it's not a hard no. But it WILL be a difficult decision. I'd have to decide if I can sacrifice something, whether standard of living or funding my 401k or something, I don't know. But my math says that I won't need to sacrifice any of those things at the new number." "Okay, thank you. I'll see if I can get ahold of the team; it's close to the end of the day though so we'll see. I don't know if it's in the budget."

And then I waited. But not for long.

Two hours later I got a call back saying that my new number was accepted, and a question if I was still interested. "I said what I said - if you can hit that number, I'll sign for it." Thus ends my tale, and how I left my company of almost 15 years - and the city I've lived in since I was 10 years old - for something completely new and unknown.

Could I have gotten more? Maybe, I dunno. Should I have said a number? Probably not, but I didn't see a way out at the time. But keeping in mind the second rule of the thread, I was able to recover and lay out something that - for me at least - counts as a win. In raw salary, it's a 30% bump. After benefits are factored in, maybe closer to 20%. But the ability to maintain my standard of living while moving (with relocation assistance!) to a job market that isn't ruled by the whims of a single company is huge for my peace of mind.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 5, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ghosting sucks but it's become practically standard.

From mid-2013 to mid-2014 I applied to nearly 150 jobs, and I barely got automated replies if/when my application was auto-rejected by a filter. The only way I knew was to log back into the system and look up the status of the application manually.

After interviews, the only time I've ever gotten callbacks from those are when I was interviewing internally.

To be fair, probably the bulk of my interviews have ended after the first call.

:hr: "What is your salary range?"
:v: "Oh, gee, total compensation, don't wanna boil it down to a number *continues to dance around topic*"
:hr: *accidentally tells me the range*
:v: "That is less than I made before I had a degree, thank you anyway."

Fake edit: I don't know why that smilie is ": hr :" but I'm leaving it :colbert:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

cgeq posted:

Now I do wonder what my current company will say. A few employers I've had to leave in the past seemed willing to entice me to stay, but I couldn't for various reasons. That's not the case now.

Thanks for the explainer!

When I left my last employer, I was kinda surprised when I said "Hey, I got a better offer, so long and thanks for all the fish" and the response was "congratulations, all the best!". They didn't attempt to counter-offer or anything.

To Admiralty Flag's point, even if they HAD tried to counter, I probably would not have taken it - not only because I'd be concerned about being a target - but because the other things involved with moving to the new company were too important (relocation, etc.). In a way, I'm almost glad they didn't counter, since that meant I didn't have to make that decision.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Chaotic Flame posted:

Doesn't everyone fantasize about the shock/dismay their leaving is going to cause though? Especially if you don't like your boss.

I felt bad when I quit :(

Yes, I know, it's just business and all that, but I feel bad for the people that 1). pulled for me to join their team and 2). have to pick up the slack while I get backfilled

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
What I've found interesting in this space is the concept of (optimally) how burdened each employee should be. I think the numbers I've seen are something like 80% - this would (in theory) give everyone one day a week to work on incidental stuff, keep documentation updated, etc.

In practice I feel like the company I worked at for the last 13 years kept us burdened somewhere over 100%.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MJP posted:

Any pointers in negotiation for lateral internal transfers in big companies? I'm interviewing for a role that's a bit of a career change, and I know for a fact it's one rank down from my current salary. Different boss, same team.

I only know one big company, but there was basically zero ability to negotiate, even for promotions. You got what the schedule said you got and that's it.

Granted, that's only one company, and your company's culture may be different, but I think the thread consensus is that internal negotiations are difficult, if not impossible, to pull off.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

PIZZA.BAT posted:

This is a completely normal feeling that will evaporate about a day into your new job

This is some wisdom here.

I went through this at the end of February - left a company I'd been at for over a decade - and it's not even the end of March and I'm already over it. Too much new poo poo too learn, to many new people to meet, too much work to do. But in a good way.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Parallelwoody posted:

That's the direction I've been preparing for as the fired guy did report directly to the CEO, but yeah I'm mentally ready to walk if they try to renege on anything we have agreed to. Not trying to work for an employer like that and I'll be fine picking up more contracting work. I do appreciate the advice.

For the positive, I did negotiate an extra 8k in salary which was over a 10% increase, so at least I got a psychological victory even if everything else goes tits up.

When are you chatting with the CEO? Somehow I have become deeply invested in how this story ends :allears:

I realize it's super stressful for you, but it's just so unusual that the mystery of it all has captivated me.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BonHair posted:

This really stood out to me. That really sucks. I remember being super nervous about this for my first adult job and talking to my union about it, and they assured me that offer letters are binding over here in Denmark. It just makes a lot of sense from the perspective of a flexible labour market too, since it lets people change jobs without worrying about poo poo like this.

That struck me, too; in one of my college classes the head of the Career Center gave some presentations and he made it sound like the offer letters were pretty legally binding, and you could be open to recovering damages if you made life changes based on a signed offer letter and then they walked back after the fact.

It's very disappointing to find now that this isn't the case. Which is interesting, because when I signed the last letter (well, e-signed) there was a big disclaimer that said something like "BY CLICKING THIS BUTTON THIS BECOMES A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT, DO YOU ACCEPT?"

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Parallelwoody posted:

Spoke with him earlier, he shot down the signing bonus which wasn't in the offer letter but was advertised with the position (with an out to possibly add it in for some reason, I guess if I raise a big enough stink), and I'll "get clarification" (we know this is going to be a no) on whether the PTO in the offer is separate from holidays. Otherwise the offer still stands as written. I did what felt like a mini interview that I purposely kept brief as I'm not going to interview for a position I was already offered regardless of the circumstances. So looks like ball is in my court if I want to move forward with the relocation. I hammered home that the expectations are this is going to be a 40 hour work week and if it goes over I'm allowed to manage my time as I see fit, and that a work life balance is my top priority, so we will see what it's like in practice. Who knows what the new boss will expect though. Thanks for the advice everyone, sorry I couldn't provide a more dramatic resolution like "and then I burned their house down and yelled 'WHAT'S YOUR BATNA NOW, BITCH?'"

drat, too bad the signing bonus wasn't in the offer letter. I guess that's good info for me to consider in the future, I guess! Are they covering relo?

Also, I'm not sure I've ever heard of PTO being rolled in with holidays . . . I'm not sure how much you were offered, but that seems like a weird thing to need clarification on.

You definitely delivered with that last sentence though, thank you kind goon!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Business, Finance, and Careers > The Negotiation Thread: and then I burned their house down and yelled 'WHAT'S YOUR BATNA NOW, BITCH?'

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

evobatman posted:

Remember that while you are sitting around stroking your impostor syndrome, actual real morons who are better paid than you are confidently loving poo poo up out there.

This is some powerful wisdom here.

For thread content: I've utterly and completely failed the introductory salary question the last two times. Granted, I haven't given away my CURRENT salary, but I've always ended up giving a number first. The first time, I said "I've been given the green light to start looking for new roles internally, and because we're MegaCorp, Inc. the system is incredibly structured; how about I tell you what I expect to make in my next desk, since that will be a more useful figure to work from?". I figure this wasn't the WORST strategy in the world since by giving that number, I was essentially anchoring upwards, telling them they'd need to beat what my next job was going to be by enough to get me to move halfway across the country.

It would have been better if I had just straight-up asked for the range, though. I honestly can't remember if I tried that approach or not; both times they "just wanted to make sure I was in the range" and I'm not sure if I even thought to just straight-up ask. In the past, I've had people tell me ranges before when I tried to dance around the question, so . . . hmm.

I will say that working for a company that tells you where you are in your current salary band is huge. I just changed companies, and not knowing what the bands are or where I am in mine is somewhat off-balancing, to say the least. I figure I'll wait awhile before I start asking how to find that information out over an after-work beer or whatever, though.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Avoiding confrontation is not helping you become a better negotiator.

This line seems huge to me. I think on some level a lot of us (myself included here) would feel like we "failed" if we start an interview process and walk away without an offer. I'm not sure why this is, and the psychology behind that is probably out of scope for the thread, but it's probably important for everyone to start the process recognizing that it's okay to walk away and say "thanks, but no thanks" with the understanding that (hopefully) you learned something.

I'm pretty good with that mindset in other aspects of my life, but haven't really been so good with it in job searching. (Then again, I probably spent too long at my last company so I haven't searched as often as I should)

downout posted:

I'm going in the opposite direction, interviewing with the first company to ever provide salary band/range details for the position from the start. And not even bother asking my current salary. It's great but unfamiliar. I feel like they anchored me now :confused:

Oh, the job didn't post the range on the application; just that once I was in it, I could see my own band and where I fell in it (the very bottom, natch)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

m0therfux0r posted:

I know everyone is already saying "yeah don't do this", but I do indeed want to confirm- the last contract job I had that went through a recruiter required my most recent W2 and pay stub after I accepted the offer as part of the contingent background check. This is very common and is where your offer would probably get pulled- companies due this for full-time employees frequently as well. You got extremely lucky.

Mine required this, but they said it was just for verification purposes that I was employed where I said I was. I blanked out all the salary information before sending, and they didn't have a problem with it.

Edit: I would not have had to provide this information if I had allowed them to contact my previous employer, but I didn't want them to do that before I had gotten the firm offer.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

spwrozek posted:

If you are applying internally they know what you make. So kind of don't think you messed up.

Ah, no; I was using what I knew my next promotion would be internally, to leverage a higher salary at an external company. Essentially I was setting myself up to skip a pay grade (compared to if I had stayed internal).

In reality, I could perhaps have gotten more if I hadn't set that expectation there, I suppose. But from what I knew of the job from an internal contact, I had a pretty good idea of what it was going to pay before I even applied, and that strategy set me up to get where I expected it would be. Then COVID hit and they cancelled the interview, RIP

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

spwrozek posted:

Ah ok. I see. I misread that. Never say a number.

*nods sagely*

I will try harder next time!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Target Practice posted:

I haven't really thought about it, but is this something that you can just straight up ask your manager/HR dept? Not that I would ever want to bring that question up to our lovely HR people.

Maybe! I suspect it might even be possible to look up in the HR system myself if I dug deep into it. I just haven't had the time yet, as I haven't even been here 6 weeks yet (and I'm trying to relocate, kill me now :v:)

I figure I'll be in this role for 1.5 - 2 years or so; once people are back in the office, I've actually met my team, and found somebody to be work-bff with, I'll low-key see if they know if that data is in the system first. If not/they don't know, then yeah, I might start asking around with some harder questions. And/or innocent inquiries about how being promoted internally works and that sorta thing.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Eric the Mauve posted:

As to whether the Letter Writer actually is making the story better in the retelling when the candidate actually never agreed to a specific salary while interviewing but instead said something noncommittal like "I'm sure we can reach an agreement somewhere in that neighborhood", yeah I agree that is somewhere between possible and likely. Certainly an employer being offended a candidate didn't want their generous offer is far more common than a candidate using a dishonest hook-and-reel tactic in my experience. I just don't see what's helpful for our purposes here about assuming this must be the case.

I know I hedged HARD when they "forced" read: I got beat at negotiating me to say a number first; I said "Without having done extensive research on the cost of living differential, and assuming all benefits are equal, it'll probably take $x for me to move". After I got the bennies information and crunched all the numbers, I ended up asking for (1.1)($x).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd think any candidate would hedge.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

spwrozek posted:

but as far as the company is concerned your role is the same if it is a lateral so why would I pay you more?

Well, historically the justification was that it was valuable to have employees with a depth of knowledge across a breadth of the company :v:

For some reason, employers don't seem to value that anymore though :thunk:

This was part of why I recently left my company of 13 years - they were adjusting the scales so that laterals went from being worth half or 5/8ths of a promotion to nothing; they started adjusting the bonus structure so it was harder/impossible to get a "full" bonus; they nerfed merit increases by half; they nerfed promotions by a bit . . . the list went on. All the while, they started on a push to "hire external talent" and even said something like "we are opening this location to attract more and better talent" which . . . as a current employee, there's really only one way to take that, eh?

So, yeah, to the guy considering a lateral: for me, I promised myself that the moment my next career step was locked into a zero-pay-upgrade lateral, that was the day I found a new employer. A new employer found me before that happened, but I digress

In my opinion, if this lateral doesn't do MAJOR things to position you for a huge advancement directly thereafter, you are most likely better off looking elsewhere if they won't play ball on compensation. At my last employer, a promotion was worth 8% salary bump (12% if you were on the bottom of the salary grade because that's about what the gaps between the bottoms of salary grades were) and a 2% bump on the bonus amount.

Also worth noting, that employer I left was very engineering-heavy and it was very common for engineers to get a Promotion In Place two or even three times in the same desk because they (presumably) got that much better at the job after they'd done it for 2/4/6 years.

YMMV, IANAL, this post is presented as/is with no warranty, etc. etc.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Parallelwoody posted:

Did they tell you that beforehand? Because I specifically asked based on language I got in here. I'm just kinda floored that this lady thinks only CEOs get flown out to interview. Maybe I understood her wrong but the way she phrased it and talked about it afterwards I don't think she meant just for my employer, I think she meant period.

My brother is a dipshit computer toucher and he's been flown to multiple interviews.

I'm just a dipshit and said " if I drive it will be way cheaper even if you pay for one night in a hotel, which I want" and they did.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think it's wise to burn a bridge unless you're really certain it's worth it. Accepting a new role, even at the same company, carries some degree of implied understanding that you'll fulfill that role for at least a while, and won't just jump a month later and leave 'em high and dry.

Companies will do it to you without hesitation if it benefits them and all that, sure, but your reputation does matter. Someone else offers you 70% more a month after you start your new role? Absolutely, burn that motherfucking bridge to ashes and laugh your way to the bank. Someone else offers you 15% more? Ehhhhh.

Please be aware this is, necessarily, super generic advice and there are all kinds of variables to a particular company/department/industry that might pragmatically push you into jumping ASAP without a second thought.

tl;dr I'm very much in favor of the mercenary mindset, but the fewer senior people you can make enemies of along the course of your career the better and that should also be factored into your calculations.

Yeah, I was definitely in a weird position here not long ago.

Took an internal move that netted about +12%, was pretty happy with it, was in the role for 5 months or so (had already set up a 2-year goal for the role and everything) and an external recruiter came calling with an offer +30% above the new role. I know for a fact that I had been "a good value" for my old company for a decade+ and decided that I was willing to risk making some people sad for taking the external offer. Everyone was super-professional and congratulatory (except one) so I'm pretty sure that I didn't burn any bridges there.

Personally, I feel like there is a big separation between "went looking" and "came calling" but to anyone who isn't me it probably all looks the same, so while I was able to convince myself to sleep well at night, maybe I ended up on some naughty lists regardless :shrug:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dik Hz posted:

From Ask a Manager today.

So, here's a horror story about why you should always negotiate. OP got a $5k bonus and then realized they're going to be making $10k less per year they work at that company.

Their options pretty much boil down to 1) suck it up or 2) burn the bridge.

I started a new job in March and I still sometimes have a quick moment of panic where I wonder if, somehow, I made a mistake on the math and took a pay cut. There's no way I did, even considering the move to a HCOL area . . . I don't think. I guess how much I have "left over" at the end of the month really depends on how much I end up paying per month for shelter. Goddamn I cannot wait to be out of this temporary living space.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

buglord posted:

I asked 60k per thread advice, and managed to do it at the absolute very end of the interviewing process. I felt way too bold asking for 63k (max for this role) given that I felt I missed some of their “nice to haves” on the job posting. 55k as the floor was already 5k more than I expected. HR didn’t really bat an eye at the number I gave either.

Sooooooooooooo . . . you got 60?

I feel like you're leaving out the details here lol

Parallelwoody posted:

You should ignore half the requirements before you apply and all of them once you get an interview.

Also this. A job posting is a fuckin' wish list with absolutely nothing even resembling a passing acquaintance with reality. If you got an interview, then you're pretty much in the Top 3 (if there are even two others at all). From that point, it's just a matter of getting the most for your time without violating any social norms TOO badly.

Then, at some point, you'll (hopefully) have made enough money that you walk into interviews saying "Don't ask me about salary, I don't even WANT this job. However, I am interested in the value you think I'll provide, what I'll be doing, and how much that's worth to you; if that all lines up, then we can talk about start date." My buddy's dad is a Professional Businessman and this is apparently how he approaches interviews in his post-retirement; I suspect he is making more now than he did pre-retirement.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

buglord posted:

Oh, yeah looking back at that now, thats only half a story.

Yeah that's where things are at currently. Finished the 3 person, 2 hour long interview which wraps up the 3 interview rounds. Told HR at the very end during the post-interview talk that I wanted 60k. They said they'd have an answer if I got the job or not by the end of the week.

Not sure what time of day you got that message, but I'm here with an offer of Hope The Worst Offer :v:

After my interviews the recruiter was like "yeah so you're good at the agreed upon offer yeah!?!?!" and I was like "Uh, no, I gave that number assuming all things being equal but your bennies are diff and more out of pocket so I need 10% more, soz" and she was like "UGH IDK IF THEY WILL GO FOR IT AND IT'S LATE AND A FRIDAY OR MAYBE WEDNESDAY IDK BUT LET ME CHECK" but then came back like 2 hours later and was like "YAY EVERYBODY AGREES, STILL INTERESTED!?!?!?!" so . . . HR ladies are a land of contrasts. By themselves.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

stellers bae posted:

Just dropped my $200k ultimatum and, after (not) explaining myself to the somewhat confused and annoyed recruiter, they'll have an answer back by tomorrow AM.

I totally hosed this negotiation by letting slip my current salary as they explicitly targeted a percent increase over what I currently earn, instead of what people at this level actually earn. Let this be a lesson to never do that :(

OOF :(

Yeah, I feel like I've hosed up when I've said a number before, but when I've done that it's what I think I should expect to be making, rather than what I'm CURRENTLY making. Which, the answer is: not enough, apparently, because here I am, talking to you, Friend Recruiter :v:

How early in the process did you let that slip? Or what that a recent development? (If you don't mind my asking! Just curious how it played out is all, since I've been following your saga for a bit here.)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Chiasmus posted:

Congrats! Succeeded in spite of yourself.

I feel like this describes my last negotiation too :v:

Guinness posted:

Big congrats, another thread success story!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > The Negotiation Thread: How to Succeed in Spite of Yourself

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BonHair posted:

Succes is awesome! And also remember, even if they can see you're underpaid, they will want to pay you at market rate to make sure you don't leave immediately. Recruiting and training is expensive, and giving you a few thousand extra is usually worth it for them in the long run. Of course, not all companies see the wisdom in this.

Ahhhh, I see now where my current (new) employer offset the cost of relocating me . . . .

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MJP posted:

Negoontiation thread, I could use a pointer maybe.

I got an offer for a job that I would like to do. It is a significant pay bump. Benefits, team culture, the stuff I'd do, hybrid arrangement in mid-September (tolerable, but doable). I'd happily say yes to it. Benefits line up nicely with where I'm at.

My current role has a pretty good annual bonus that paid out even during 'rona. I'd be leaving halfway through the year, so I'd be forfeiting a good chunk of change. I asked %newplace% about the possibility of a sign-on bonus - they said they don't do it for anyone.

%newjob% gives 35 days PTO (yeah, it includes sick days/bereavement/etc.) which does beat out my current 20 days. Also, it's not the dinosauric bureaucracy and set-up-to-fail situation that I'm in - last man standing, everyone else in my team quit. Help is on the way in the form of a 3-month contractor but nothing on a permanent fill.

Their BATNA: they go to the next candidate down the line

My BATNA: If I pass, I'll still be in my current situation, open to being hired elsewhere or trying to transfer internally

I'm about 70% leaning towards taking the offer - is there anything else I should be angling for here? I don't think they'd give more PTO since they're way above average for a US employer.

edit: BTW, the OP speaks truth, way early in the process they asked my expectations, and I basically had this happen
[img]https://i.imgur.com/AgrHXMa.png[/timg]

The offer is $10k over the top end, heck yes

If they won't do a sign-on bonus, do they have a bonus structure of their own? Is THAT negotiable? (If they don't have one, can you get one added? If they do have one, can you ask for a few extra percent?)

In theory, that could maybe work out for you in the long run, even though you'd be giving up cash now (and we know how JG Wentworth feels about that)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MJP posted:

There's a bonus structure. The recruiter/HR contact's words: "bonuses are discretionary and merit based. There isn’t a set range." Performance evaluations do get laid out on four factors that they just made clear to me.

Honestly, it's in advertising, I don't see them pulling the "sorry but we aren't doing bonuses next year" crap like previous jobs have. The usual pro rata "you have a 3 month probationary period and that means only 3 months of 2021 are bonus eligible, too bad so sad" can always apply - hence distrusting bonuses - but my 1.5 beer lightweight rear end keeps on thinking I should take it. I think I'd like the place, at least more than my current one for sure.

Sure! I'm just trying to spitball other areas of Total Compensation that could be flexed if you feel like you've already maxxed out on salary, PTO, and have ruled out a sign-on bonus.

That's too bad about the sign-on; I had a co-worker who got a job halfway across the country and when they told him "no relo" he was able to swing a sign-on bonus that basically covered most of his move.

If the salary is high enough that it's still enough of a net gain for the move, then maybe you'll just have to eat the loss of a bonus at the old place. My new job doesn't have a bonus, so I did some Excel Fuckery to determine if New Job was a net step up, but in the end my math said it was.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

skipdogg posted:

Alrighty, we've been watching you do this find a new job/don't find a new job dance for like 3 months now. The potential new job met all your demands, you should feel very validated right now, but you still want to go back to your current job and push them for even more?

Like I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you've already won a couple times now. What exactly are you looking for?

Wait, was there already an ask for the current company to pay more this year? Or was that just considered and then discarded when the decision was made to not leave?

I'm so confused now haha.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pillowpants posted:

I've been told that I need to post this story in this thread as a lesson to some people.

I was told in early 2019 that I was going to be promoted and given a significant 25% raise. When the time came, my title stayed the same and a 10% raise.

I expressed my concern and my boss was all "it's out of my hands!"

In July, i saw the same situation happen in another department and the person reacted by applying for a different role. They ended up getting what they wanted, so I called my managers bluff and started interviewing for different roles internally.

In September, I got the promotion and what was promised to me.

In March 2020, My boss left the department and I was promoted again to replace her. They Demoted someone from a company we integrated with at the same time to work for me (despite being more qualified) and she hosed around until she quit in December. When I tried to talk to people internally about replacing her, our business partner FREAKED OUT and tried to get me demoted. She failed.

I hired a Staffing Agency temp to fill the gap, and she is awesome.

March 2021 I get my review - performance is awesome but I "gossip" specifically referring to when the BP freaked out....so i get no raise.

May, I am told that the Temp I hired is going to brought on full time...as my boss.

The grass is always greener

:psyduck:

I don't . . . I . . . yeah. I have no clue what sort of message I'm supposed to take away from this story lmao. It's like one of those stories just written to be a mindfuck at the end lmao

Maybe the only way to finish that one is "The End. No Moral." :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Interesting conversation, thank you!

When I left my old company earlier this year, I don't recall doing an exit interview, nor do I recall one even being scheduled. It's possible that the chaos of changing jobs and getting prepped to move impacted this recollection, however.

What is the best way to go about finding out if I'm eligible for rehire at my old company? I'm expecting I'll stay in this role I'm in for another 1.5 years or so, but I figured it'd be nice to know if have the option of going back (and/or if I'd want to let another employer reach out to my old one, I guess!)

Which brings up another interesting question: am I correct large corporations typically only give out dates of employment and if the employee is eligible for rehire if another company calls to confirm employment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

priznat posted:

Nice, this was what my instincts were - all based on this thread! Prior to it I would have thought the same way as my dad as well. Thanks for confirming it! If I want 200k should I go with that or try for 205 and then "settle"?

I gave a reason for why I needed more money when I took my current job, but I'm not sure I'd do it again.

Looking at how co-workers talk when working on B2B transactions, I feel like that'll really be my template for this next move. I have a bad habit of slipping into my folksy/personable/customer-service persona when I'm doing interviews but I think that needs to be left at the door during Negotiation Time. Not that I need to be a dick about it, but at that point it's Just Business.

Edit: Just from reading the thread, aim a bit over what you want in case they try and negotiate down. If they don't, then great! - you got a bit more than you would have been happy with!