Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm not the most experienced at this, but if you're in a scenario where both parties know you're going to be moving on, I would ask a few things:

Are you going to be training any one else to do your job? If so, that needs to be factored into pay. If you don't need to document everything and bring someone else up to speed and just keep going on for six months, thats a different duty expectation.

Rather, you can frame and think of it as as 'are my duties staying the same, or am I taking on more for more pay?'

The other thing I'd do I ask for a letter of recommendation and hardcopies of your employee reviews up front. For, you know, your five years of hard work/good standing going forward.

Are you comfortable with that amount of hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

I also think this "stepping-stone" position might be a complete waste of time and it might be better to hold fast where I'm at until the management job - which is the position the company really intends to sit me in long term - is opened up.

So, I'm not a huge negotiation pro and other people's advice should trump mine, BUT I have heard horror stories about being hired away from a union as an excuse to let somebody go, and I would try to make sure that you have significant consideration for giving up a lot of your protection (so security loss = pay increase), and/or negotiation to take your old position back if it doesn't work out/after at trial period.

It sounds like there's not many other candidates for the job, and it would be worthwhile to explore/ask the union what it would cost an outsides contractor to do your/their prospective position;

The old adage applies, I think: if a company really wants/needs or likes you eenough, they'll create a position for you. Is there any reason you -can't- have union negotiated management position, because, well, you just said they exist?

My overall reaction about this is 'maybe take a step back and forget about pay first; figure out what additional job duties and liability you are assuming, first, THEN put guage effort and hastle and liability and manhour requirements, then the money factor will fall into place.

However, It seems like they want you to mentor/train people?
Is there any reason you -can't- negotiate for a, hm, second position billed at seperate rates for training while maintaining your first?
Like, I know most/some? unions have rep/coordinator/leader positions where you do your job duties and get your pay, but you also draw additional pay for being a union rep at the same time.
'I do my current job but also train people' seems like a perfect opportunity to split off the additional duties into a role like that and have the union negotiate it for you.
its a non-standard scenario, but you're still a member and negotiating with an employer to fill a labor need is a union's job.

Without getting into specifics about your job situation: is there any potential conflict of interest scenario where the new non-union position would have to perform job duties that union members can't or aren't able to do do for those reasons?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 4, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Chalets the Baka posted:

The second issue is, assuming the offer is a healthy one, what's the best way to break the ice on the negotiation? I've gone through this thread but what I've seen assumes verbal negotiation - I'm assuming it'll arrive over email, and I don't think I've negotiated an offer over email before. It's been almost 3 years so I'm a little rusty, and knowing some good ice breakers might help.

I think you play the honest card: that you want to start a new job fresh and engaged and you need some serious time off to stave off a mental breakdown/midlife crisis, but you frame it in a way you want to committ your best effort but need time to recharge. I think if you say it was startup culture hell and then some, they'll know what you mean. Oh, and obviously, securing a job offer is pressure off you during recovery period as well, and you'd prefer to breathe easy :)

Two things I would personally negoatiate for: start date AND an easier /lighter schedule during training days as you get brought up to speed. Maybe take wednesdays off (2 on, 1 off, 2 on, weekend off, repeat) for the first While. Fridays off are an alternative, but I think for countering burnout the 2 on-break is better than 4 days in a row; its just freshing).

Further down the road, its possible you could angle to keep that schedule, or just slip into full time role when its reasonable that you're fully brought up to speed.(a month? 6 weeks? 90 day probationary period that some companies do? )

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Geizkragen posted:

This could be a good job and it's something I'm very much interested in doing (either role honestly) but how do I get them to loving commit:

If you're okay with either role:
Don't forget to negotiate travel compensation and per diem if you're going to be traveling so much. Getting the expense card out of the way early prevents itemization and payback hastle later. If the role's bigger than initially sold, make sure there's a clear list of job duties either way.

My impression is they had someone else doing these travel-trainings retire and they moved on too; which is why why there's bigger shoes to fill. Also, always ask why the position's open.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Diggus Bickus posted:

Is there any reason that I should quit rather than waiting to see if they fire me or accept my proposal? And how hosed am I?

How much of it is in writing?

And if you quit, no unemployment.(assuming usa) Its sort of advantageous to get fired, assuming you have any sort of documentation.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

This came up recently on another thread i watch.

Good reading:here through here or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkLVRt6c1U

The salient points were:
1) liability insurance
2) definitely make a signable change-form for use during projects (the initial agreement should also probably cover who on the clients side is authorized to make changes/issue work - the point of contact)
3) that video has excellent points, and the kill fee/stages of work/firable offenses for clients/how lawyers fees are covered are great includes
some other stuff like a cpa saving you money when it comes to 1099 taxes and whther you want to incorporate

You may want an afterhours/call policy just for your partner's sanity, depending on the type of work.

Another big one is ownership of the work and that it doesn't transfer to the other party until you are paid in full. Assigning ownership of works, I think is how its called?
So like, its for when you finish all the work and the client decides they won't pay, they can't use it (and are committing theft if they try) until they do.

The last thing it should probably cover is upfront payment and deposits before work begins.

Whatever you get drafted, please share with the goon over there!

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 23, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Shats Basoon posted:

I went ahead and put in notice at my current job. My current manager is actually a really great lady & boss so when I told her she actually encouraged me to try to work until the bonus is paid out if I could. I was more concerned with starting off on the wrong foot at the new job. If the bonus was paid out a few weeks earlier I'd give it a shot but I think i'll just let it be. Thanks for the advice thread.

If your boss seems cool and open to it - try arranging your final few weeks with your saved up vacation time so that you're on the books but not at work when bonus day +1 rolls around.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The colorado equal work for equal pay act is actaully a little more comprehensive than that. it owns. It also requires any colorado employer to advertise promotions to existing employees and allow them to apply, including notifiying them of job postings and suchlike

It also straight up forbids a company asking a hire for wage data to determine pay. Like, they aren't able to ask.

The biggest thing it does is puts the burden of keeping records of job duties and wage rates for 2 years after employment on the company, and assumes that if they don't, the employee with the complaint is right.

It owns. Would definitely recommend colorado goons look up the EWEPA act details/explanations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

IANAL, but setting the standard to "if the company doesn't produce the records, they lose by default" seems like a huge deal. Especially when collecting wage and employment data can be extremely frustrating as a complainant. As a complainant, how would you gather enough data to compel the company to turn over the records that prove your case has merit?

As far as I read into it, the major potential issue for a business involves one where they didn't keep records and the only ones that exist are in the hands of the employee, but they aren't necessarily compelled to provide them (5th amendment?) I wish I could find the link i read that, its lost to history now.

The other big one's fines for non compliance, as well as clear protections against workers discussing wages.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Do you have a chance to play the 'I've got my hands full with other projects , but I'd like to deploy and play with these new technoligies you work with, here's my contractor rates and I'm available ___x___ days per week?' card

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

m0therfux0r posted:

But yeah, I have seen the "we'll probably hire you after 6 months" get extended to 9 months, a year, 2 years, and then totally laid off multiple times at multiple companies.

Is there any way to mitigate this when you make or create the contract?

Whether its a bonus at end, contract completion, or a resigning penalty?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Javes posted:

Seems that many employers are reacting to the Colorado equal pay law by not accepting Colorado applicants.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/investigations/job-posting-labor-laws/73-7f2ac237-06fe-4353-8318-00a4b52d80bc

I wonder if this counts as discrimination.

Also these companies are hosed if any employee thats already remote moves to colorado while already being employed.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

How does a person who is an employee of Company A already moving to Colorado at all impact their obligations under Colorado law to disclose salary?

The person has the job already.

The law does have a promote from within clause, actually: Any company that has at least one employee within colorado also has to disclose and inform the employee of promotion opportunities within the company.

So this is big because if, say, a Senior Position on Prexisting Employee At Company A's team the employee would have to have a chance to apply for it. and the company would have to disclose the range and benefits up front. So if that team's lead gets an extra 10k of dosh and stock options... gotta disclose it.

The total stinger part of the EWEPA act is that the whole 'we only do outside hires so people on staff stay where they are and never ask for more' loop is also broken.

(From what I understand its worded fairly reasonably; promotions from within aren't -guaranteed-, only they be -allowed to compete-; as in it doesn't force inside hires, it does force disclosure of position openings tho)

Obviously this is a big deal for pay discussions b/c nothing stops a colorado employee from talking to other people about it. I don't know offhand if the law states that 'only the CO employee has to be informed' or 'as long as they have one Co employee they have to do it for everyone'.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm not a superb or practiced negotiator, but my off the cuff reaction to that is:

"Thats the power of being their #1 (or last standing #1) pick!"

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Has anyone had luck getting a noncompete waived through asking for it to be paid/salaried if enforced, or is that more of an EU/non USA thing?

I remember reading a while ago that one of the big powers that be changed things so that if a company enforced a noncompete, they have to keep paying salary out for its duration, but can't remember the specifics. Was it struck down or is it still a thing?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Sounds good to me. There's a chance they won't budge off $70k, so you should probably figure out if you're willing to take it at $70k if they don't move. But $80k isn't an unreasonable ask if you have a couple years of experience.

if they won't budge, isn't this the point where you start negotiating over benefits?

What topics are good to ask about besides like, extra vacation?

Asking mainly I've seen the thread focus on salary, not so much on the perks adjacent. Any tips there?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 30, 2021

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Kilbas posted:

They claimed it was because they want a degree of commitment and performance guarantee on my part due to a comparative lack of experience, and they see the bonus as a part of the salary component. Which as I’m writing this just seems more ridiculous.

My gut reaction: I think you've just discovered why the posting has been up for (a) month(s?) and nobody is a culture fit!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Deadite posted:

Yeah that aligns with my feelings on it. I was wondering if anyone in the thread has successfully done it or knows of coworkers who have

From what I have heard - other people may want to confirm - you want to boomerang back to a place you like working long term, but after hopping around a bit to build your worth up.

Like, take another job, take the pay raise, come back in a few years if the culture is still good sort of deal

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 8, 2021

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Alright, question here. (Context: I have an upcoming interview for an office position in my area; hit it off with a missed connection/callback unexpectedly, going in tomorrow for a formal interview)

What places/sources are good/do you fine folks use to find and look up salary info? What are good places to start?

I'm the colorado goon; job's range is deffo under market value and also under my city's minimum living wage(its for gov/city employees; but its inflation/cpi adjusted and makes a good meterstick for what everyone should ask for)

Aka prime negotiation opportunity!

I'm just not sure what my baseline should be.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Yeah, just move instead of proof.

You don’t need to proof anything. If they don’t want to keep top talent they’re going to lose out.

Speaking of google, this link came across my radar today. Figured the thread might want to see it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/10/google-underpaid-workers-illegal-pay-disparity-documents

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Well, thread, I could use some advice. An offer letter came in!

I just nailed and interview for something outside of my field that I have little direct experience in (its office work and for an administrative assistant position)

Downside: They want to know by tomorrow, deadline is friday, so... two days to negotiate and say yes/no.

Right now my leverage is that I seem to be their first choice candidate. I put off naming a number twice! The advice works!

Here's the skinny. I'm not happy with the pay or vacation. Its at a small (20-30 people) construction firm doing boutique/luxury remodels.

Mistakes: I did tell them I didn't mind a lower introductory rate during a probationary period as long as it had a definitive end date and agreed on pay after it expires.
Complications: I'm the colorado goon and companies out here are required to put their range and benefits up front. The listed range was 18-24$.
I wanted to ask about project completion bonuses (there were apparently issues with very hasty people mislabeling budget reports and causing cost overruns; it was a talking point for this position during interviews.) I'm not sure its appropriate to ask.

Benefits are:
5 days per year paid vacation, +1 per year up to 10, available after 60 days. (This seems low)
60 days for health insurance. It is through united healthcare. I don't know anything about them.
IRA match 3% after 2 years. This doesn't seem ideal.
Sick time wasn't listed in the letter, despite being mentioned in the ad. Normal or no?

My gut says ask for 48-50k and 2-3 weeks vacation, maybe a project completion bonus if its under budget/schedule (over runs due to previous people making haste and mislabeling things with budgets were a talking point during the interview, but I know its iffy). Is the usual 'counter 5-10k above' still relevant when you're not talking about $bigmoney tech jobs?

For comparison, I think its a bit under market. The big city in this area has a wide range of positions (Denver, thanks to the Colorado goon that dug these up - pay documentsfrom 2020)

i used them to find ones from 2021, its a little harder to read. Admin assistants seem to have a -huge- range and dailing in what I should be asking for.

What I can say is the city living wage is around $18.50, so the offer is really for minimum wage +$2.50. (based on both a cityworkers program/law and the mit living wage calculator; though its not accounting for 2021 inflation)

I could use some advice. Its also time sensitive, and they wanted to know by tomorrow.

I know I want to negotiate for inflation-adjusted/annual COL wages given the new year is right about the corner, and for more vacation. I'm not sure what I have to offer in return, but this seems to be moving fast, and I know its dangerous to assume but I think I may be their top or only pick.

FWIW, I caught one of their just-expired job postings for another position (project manager) in the 60-100k range, and so I think there may be room to come up, even if its entry level.. but yeah, I'm more or less negotiating for my wages after the probationary period.

What should I do? Right now I'm reaching out for clarification on the sickpay vs vacation pay.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 29, 2021

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Those bennies are a bad joke. Very unlikely they will negotiate an inch on any of that, but it drat well justifies asking for (a lot) more salary.

how much are we talking here? like double, or like 45-50%?

And thanks.

When does 401k matching usually start at real jobs? after the probationary period? the 1 year mark?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

What were you planning to ask for? I mean if the posted range is $18-24/hr I would ask for $24 and settle for not a penny less--but I'm not sure I would want that job even at $24/hr. But I'm not you and don't live where you live. Unless you have no palatable alternatives at all, I wouldn't want that job if I were you. You should work out exactly how high a wage would actually make you enthusiastic to take that job at that lovely company, and ask for that, IMO.

"The benefits are unfortunately well below what I expected, so the pay would have to be $X for this to make sense for me" is the kind of language you should use.

Lets see.

I think my gut reaction is: The time pressure is there to force a snap decision and not researching the disparity.

I think for my area the absolute minimum to get someone in the door and caring about a job, based on what i've seen poking around job sites, is around 20$/hr. (i saw a restaurant offering 26$/hr for a dishwasher, due to presumably, covid risk/can't find anyone/other fields being better)

I -don't- have other options and am coasting on savings, but my living expenses overall are fairly low. I don't have to take it, but I DO want to get office/admin asst experience on my resume and to get out of my field. Lack of car payments is a big one.

I think the median/50% of range offer is fair for a lack of experience but hit the high notes for team meshing, and the goalposts are on the lowball range by about 2$/hour for the area, gut sense.

Health insurance would, through their plan, cost me $114 per pay period, and come to think of it, I did forget to ask if that was weekly or biweekly. Its a $3k deductable/$8150 out of pocket max/80% coinsurance, so I think that pegs it as a... bronze tier hmo. Disappointing, they talked it up during the interview as being really good. Thats in the right range for $228/mo.

Putting that all together... I could tough out a 48k for a year for experience, but I'm also seeing that as a fairly commonpiece salary in data that will be 2 years out of date by the time I'm over my 60 day period. (at 3% inflation that'd be 51k)

I think I'd like to make 50-55k after a year on the job.

But... I'm also seeing job ads a city over for the same effective role with a listed range of 55-65k; and basic sit at a desk receptionist positions in this place are starting at $22 and up so... :shrug:

I guess its a tossup between what i'd be willing to settle for, and what the position is worth?

Is it better to demand better benefits, or just shoot for the pay when negotiating?

My initial sense of 'reasonable' that I should shoot for was '$23 during 60 days, 2-3 weeks vacation, automatic col, and X amount after a year, when I'd be fully trained up.) X undecided.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

downout posted:

Regarding the pay, you might even want to bump up to 60k. The 2 years of missing 401k match is worth 3k alone, and I'd ask for more because it sounds like there is going to be a lot poo poo to deal with. Chances are they will negotiate down from any number you go for. Are you happy with 50k, probably less than 3 weeks PTO, and "meh" medical benefits?

Honestly, I'd completely dump the attempt at a bonus. This compensation package sounds crappy enough that you might have some weasel-word bs that lets them screw with paying out the bonus after you're an employee.

Just send back the canned statement, "I'm very excited about this opportunity. The team sounded great, and I'm looking forward to getting started. If you can increase the salary to $60,000 and the PTO to 3 weeks a year, then I'm prepared to agree to the offer."

Thanks. Do you rephrase the salary to hourly, or just keep it at the x per year verbage?

5 days (and those 5 days possibly including sick days) definitely means they are trying to rip you off. Think about that- if you want to take a long weekend and take a Friday off, after that one day, you already can't take a full week of vacation until the next work year. That's ridiculous (even though it is, disgustingly, 100% legal).

m0therfux0r posted:

5 days (and those 5 days possibly including sick days) definitely means they are trying to rip you off. Think about that- if you want to take a long weekend and take a Friday off, after that one day, you already can't take a full week of vacation until the next work year. That's ridiculous (even though it is, disgustingly, 100% legal).
it was! Thanks for the doublecheck, m0therfux0r! that helps.

I sent an email last night asking about the PTO/sick day split (its supposed to be seperate, per their ad) and haven't heard back. Wait for a follow up, or just drop the demands?

I have a feeling that they don't want to go up to 60k/2-3 weeks vacation - is this part of the negotiation dance where you ask for more and negotiate down to acceptable levels?

follow up question, re, etiquette: if you say the 'I'll sign today for _x_' treatment, and they accept, do you actually go and sign/scan the offer letter, or is an email saying you accept enough. Do you sign the original or make them issue a new one?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 30, 2021

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thanks again. I appreciate the double-check. I understand most of the theory behind the negotiation, but most of my jobs up to this point were hire on the spot sort of deals. The fiddly bits of putting it into effect are what I'm stumbling through.

What sort of benefits would you all consider baseline, normal, or commonly accepted? (small company office job, usa, not big tech, if it matters)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 30, 2021

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is correct about insurance but bullshit about PTO. One week of PTO a year is reflective of a cheapskate mentality and never anything else. It's standard for the horrendously abusive retail sector.

Well, I heard back. The sick leave policy IS seperate, but its still bad.

Sick leave: 1 hour per 30 hours worked up to 48 hours banked; so 8 days, and about 4 weeks to earn one day off. Still seems on the low end for america, but not bad/better than expected

(no other bonus/shot down - deflected into quarterly reviews)

Yolo # time? Yolo # time.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Well, I heard back and the offer was pulled. Not sure if missed opportunity or dodged bullet.

Thanks for walking me through it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Jumpsuit posted:

Recruiter placed me in an interview last week that went really well. Now at salary negotiation point.

I was back reading the thread and taking some notes. I think there's some relevant advice i just breezed past, here:

Hadlock posted:

One strategy when you get the "well your counter is way over our top of band" is simply asking "well if you did take this number to your boss, who would have to sign off on it?" "well, it would be the CXX person" "ok well do they want project N done? you guys picked a great candidate (me) and he wants more than your models show. can you take my counter offer to the CXX and get them to sign off on it?" "well, maybe, but-" "ok so let's do that, float the offer past them, see what they say and let's review then?" "yeah but it'll probably take 2-3 days" "i'm gainfully employed, happy to wait and see what they say" "...ok?"

In both cases the VP or CXX approved my out of band. I later heard from my boss that the VP laughed when HR told them the band for my position and he pulled it up on levels.fyi, then immediately approved my new pay

TL;DR talked the recuiter into going over their own head and getting me my money

Maybe give that a shot

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

But you are right, I should factor in the "grain of salt" she put out about returning to office only and negotiate that into my contract as a non-optional part rather than just "hope" for the company policy sticking around.

If you're going to negotiate this, I think the angle I would take is that the 'home office' is the place you report to work normally, and also clarify that (in addition) if WFH policy changes in the future that commute time and travel costs are paid by work.
Pretty sure this is How It Works normally if a job makes you start traveling all over the place; you want to build in future leverage and costs if they want to cancel WFH.

Nirvikalpa posted:

I think I'm going to decline the offer if I can't get paid. The employer makes her income directly based off of the work her unpaid interns do, which is not that great.

From what I understand unpaid internship laws that do benefit the company are illegal(usa); so you're well within your rights to ask to be paid. It looks like they're looking for free labor tho. If you want to burn a bridge, it might be a 'report to dol/' sort of thing.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

spf3million posted:

4th week of vacation starting at 10 years is pretty standard in my experience. However in my field it's 10 years in the industry, not 10 years with the same company. You can probably negotiate your "industry start date" so that you get that 4th week sooner.

One of my bookmarks from earlier in the thread is relevant. here you go! Tldr, ask for a bridge. (credit to hadlock, thanks)

One thing I've been running across poking around salary negotiation stuff is the idea you can negotiate severance ahead of time. Yes, on the job -land-. this doesn't seem to be a topic thats discussed very much in the thread, so...

Has anyone done it? Is this a holdover of old style job searching/the boomer era? Or is it more 'the higher up you go the/the more executive level you go the more expected it is?'
If you're a hiring manager, have you had to deal with this in your line of work? Whats a typical range?
how does the negotiating leverage change?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Mniot posted:

I don’t think Surf Rock’s email was totally wild. At a 60 person company I would absolutely expect every employee to have that level of familiarity with the executives. I’d expect a long-time and valued employee to also have a relationship with a few board members.

All of you talking about getting fired for emailing an exec need to look for jobs at less toxic companies.

I thought it was well written and put it as politely as possible, and was sort of impressed at the phrasing. For the shots you could have taken, it was pretty good.

I feel like the question isn't 'was the letter enough' but more 'is everyone's minds made up already'.

(+/- poor timing over holidays)

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Gin_Rummy posted:

The stock award… I don’t totally understand, tbh, but it seems like a decent chunk of stock for whatever that is worth.

Stock options or RSU's? There was a nice discussion on options and startups a few pages ago, but I've yet to hear the thread's advice on RSU's

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The only winning mover is not to play !

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

m0therfux0r posted:

Those laws definitely do not exist in the US. Most companies encourage people to just give the bare minimum "yes, that person worked here" response, but it's not illegal for someone to go off script and talk poo poo.

The one thing that is hard illegal is maintaining blacklists, but its very hard to prove; as they actually have to communicate they are not to be (re)hired under any circumstances to another company. (usa)

'm not an expert, but its something I had to look into recently, so if you guys know more, do say so.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

leper khan posted:

Basically every position has fully paid medical and dental. I'm not going to shave corners on a 15 vs 20 copay or 8000 vs 10000 out of pocket max or w/e

In the usa its more like 'the difference between a fully paid silver plan and an hsa with matching, vs the shittiest bronze tier plan thats only 80-90% paid for and has a 13500/9k out of pocket max just so the business can say they offer health insurance'.

A difference that big is, in fact, a talking point. American health care is lovely.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

One frustrating thing is when people send me messages on, say, LinkedIn without showing they've even bothered reading my profile. If you're recruiting for a cloud computing position, I want to know that you're doing this aware that I have no experience in the field, and that the position will include on-the-job training for it because it's more important that I've done C++ dev for several years, say, or anything else I have actually done. I can read companies` boilerplate job postings myself, I don't need that in my inbox.

You could try including a passphrase in your profile. I'm not sure if its gauche , but something like 'Recruiters: include the phrase _______________ in your message to show you read my resume.'

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm not an expert, but I think there's a few basic clauses to keep in mind, like payment up front/work doesn't start until payment recieved, as well as retaining all IP until you are fully paid(depending on type work).

What do people think of mike monteiro's talk? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkLVRt6c1U

Milestone payments up to you, but touched on in there.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Agreed!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i would not do any kind of milestone based invoicing that have any kind of dependencies that you do not directly control

Yeah, thats what the video I posted touches upon: working with a client to set up deliverable milestones, but also it works as a sort of cancellation fee too. Worth a watch.

I just don't know how relevant all of it is to the line of work Parallelwoody is into, which is why I made it a discussion!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

if its -that- bad, it sounds like you've got more leverage than it sounds on first glance?

Edit: there's 2000 hours in a FT work year(assuming 40 hour work weeks), so a 5k retention bonus is about the equivalent of a 2.50 an hour raise as a one time. I'm not sure how many hours you put in to make it feel worth while to you, but maybe try asking for a larger retention bonus and segue into a competitive pay re-evaluation from there?

If the business is losing people left and right, clearly they have room in the hiring budget from the empty seats

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 16, 2022

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hm.

Its a data point on how 'off the mark' companies are, not in salary, but in being behind the times.

As feel good as it is to turn down offers, you might as well guage their drift from reality the market.

Tell them you need competitive, market driven wages not just for 2022, but 2023 and 2024 as well and see what they say. That's really what it comes down to, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

That is what I figured you'd all say. Not sure what I'll do to respond, since he has answered all my questions and that is what I usually use to deflect. When he kept insisting I literally said "I've heard you're not supposed to say a number" which is when he said this other stuff, which I didn't necessarily agree with but it sounded a little like 'anchoring' so I was not immediately dismissive.

This has come up a few times in the thread.

Click quotes for context, not all situations are the same.

Minor apologies to everyone I'm quoting; brushing up negotiation skills was one of my lockdown boredom projects, and i took notes.

Hadlock posted:

If they challenge you on the salary number you can literally just say "I talked to my buddy and he told me the literally worst thing I can do is give you a number first, so let's just wait on that and come back to it at offer time, I'm confident I'm the best candidate for the job, but at this point I don't want to lose salary negotiation leverage by giving you a number" if they won't accept that then you can walk

I've used that exact line twice now and can confidently say I make a comfortable amount of money now, and the company doesn't suck because I'm hanging out with my sick toddler instead of working today, and my boss is usually cool with it

Sometimes they'll come back with a line like "well I need to put a number here" and the response to that is "that's fine, just put any number, can you just make a note that says 'candidate declined to give a number'?" The recruiter knows they're being slimy, so it's totally cool to just ignore their tactics and be up front that you know what game they're playing

Corla Plankun posted:

I weirdly just got into this exact same situation this morning! A third-party recruiter was trying to get me to agree to numbers on an offer before they actually sent the offer. Maybe this is some kind of slimy new tactic to try to force numbers.

For my situation, I refused to budge on numbers. My go-to line is "Compensation and benefits are inextricably linked and I can't talk about one in the absence of the other." and I said it a bunch, and then rejected the offer proposed by the 3rd-party recruiter with the qualifier that "If I had it all in writing we might be able to work something out." "Tell HR to send the offer so we can move forward." etc. It was really hard to get the recruiter to budge though. Pretty big pain in the rear end.

Not a Children posted:

The nice thing about having a strong negotiating position is that you can just straight up say "I don't care" when they try to pull this poo poo. My go-to line is typically something like "if we determine that this will be a mutually beneficial opportunity, I'm sure we'll be able to reach an agreement. Until then, I'm not worried about specific numbers." If they push it I just flat-out tell them I don't want to talk numbers until I have a better understanding of the position and an offer is on the table. If they push harder than that, I tell them if they want to hire a bad negotiator they should interview someone else (I've only gotten to say this once, and I did end up moving forward).

The rule of not saying a number can be flexed a little if you're familiar with the position, the market, and what you want, but the "DON'T FUCKIN SAY A NUMBER" advice is a drat good catch-all until you're experienced and well-informed.

I think your tact really depends on how hardball you want to play, and how polite they've been to you so far.