Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

My wife has a position through a consulting firm (Tek Systems) and they called her this morning to cut her hourly rate by 3%, saying that the client company is cutting rates across the board and they don't have a choice. It seems that their stance is she has to sign a new contract at the lower rate by Friday.

Anyone have any insight into likely outcomes if she simply said that she won't accept the lower rate, and she can be done effective immediately if they can't keep paying her the rate she agreed to when she took the contract? I assume there's plenty of profit built into these things that if she really decided to take a stand it would work out just fine, but it's hard to tell since I've never worked on that side before. We also don't really care too much if they call her bluff, she doesn't need to work and this job is really boring and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Does her contract communicate any minimum time (e.g. 3 months) that the hourly rate agreed upon up front will be paid for?

Nope, nothing like that. I don't see anything that prevents them from simply terminating employment effective immediately if she refuses to sign the new contract at the lower rate.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Goodpancakes posted:

He called me asking for a reference and that's when I found out he was the other candidate. I asked him what he asked for and he told me 22 an hour. I was totally stunned. I told him then on the phone what they told me. 58-72.

Is the 58-72 range an annual salary of 58k - 72k, or is it also dollars per hour?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Macaroni Surprise posted:

This is a strange situation to me. Normally I would never go back on a job after accepting it, but that voicemail from company A is making me think twice about accepting it. That they would make an offer then appear to have second thoughts is very unprofessional to me. Company A is a small up and coming company that felt comfortable, and Company B is a larger company that may pay more and definitely will have better benefits.

Thoughts on how to handle this?

Maybe they found out about you taking an interview with the other company and are pissy about it? People who give cryptic messages like that piss me off, it just means that they don't care enough about you to phrase the message in a way that won't make you worry about stuff all night long.

All you can do is wait for the offer from B, and wait to hear what the guy's problem at A is. If the guy doesn't apologize for leaving you a lovely message and then disappearing it would sure go a long way to making me not want to work for him though.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

A couple reasons. One is that, to be frank, I am not very good at all (and that isn't just low self-esteem talking, I'm genuinely not a good programmer).

I think about 90% of programmers can be described this way.

Exhibit A: the internet.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

redcheval posted:

I’m totally perplexed why everyone is being so sassy about it though, I’ve posted similar questions in this thread before and found it really helpful! I do appreciate the reminder about comparing my salary in my area to the high COL areas, that was spot on.

Everyone told you that you should find a better job offer before asking for a raise, and you explained in a defensive and snarky way to them why they are wrong.

If you want to ask for more money without any kind of ultimatum, then I suggest you ask them what you can do to improve your worth to the company in the context of the expansion next year, because you are interested in moving your career forward.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

You'll pay a much higher amount of state and local taxes in NY than Chicago. And higher taxes overall since the 1.0-1.6x income will be in a higher marginal bracket.

125k in Chicago = $21,410 federal and $6089 state/local
200k in Manhattan = $41,850 federal and $19,425 state/local

So you got a 75k raise but 45% of it is effectively just extra tax. You'll get a small break on FICA though depending on your actual before and after salaries.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Where does that state tax number come from? It looks wrong at a glance. There is definitely a higher tax burden so make as much use of tax advantaged accounts as you can.

The first and also featured link when you type "nyc income tax" into google

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

spf3million posted:

Chicago has the nation's highest sales tax at 10.25% and the median property tax in Cook County is north of 3%.

Property taxes in both Chicago and NYC are about 2%. Some of the other counties outside Chicago (Lake :bahgawd:) are close to 3% but not inside the city

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

What additional leverage would having some random HR drone sign the letter provide? It's not an employment contract, they can still rescind it or change it on you at the last minute anyway.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Maybe I'm being silly or the concept of legally mandated wages is foreign to you guys, I really can't tell.

In the US it's basically the norm for someone to be making $50k, ask for a 20% raise and be told it's ridiculous/impossible, and then go out and interview and find a job paying $125k. This is especially true now for certain kinds of jobs because there are significant job skill shortfalls in things like programming. It has something weird to do with personal greed and resentment and idiocy, I dunno why people are like that here.

My impression of Europe in general is that while similar situations certainly exist, that number range is much more compressed so a guy might be making $75k and could maybe find a job paying $85k. In which case it's much more of a "meh" if he is happy in his $75k role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

IDK, I got my 20% raiseby playing hardball, I'm happy. Really, by shifting the negotiation towards the level change, I made the money raise even firmer for myself, because we pretty much immediately stopped negotiating that.

I don't really have a personal opinion on your situation, but what people are trying to point out to you is that:

1. Just because you got a raise doesn't mean you are fairly compensated - you might be the $50k guy now getting $60k, not looking for that $125k job

2. Your workplace might be paying you temporarily with the intention to replace you. This might be because they think you will leave for a better job with better pay inevitably (since you "played hardball" with them once already), or because your boss feels personal resentment that you got a raise, or whatever

Edit: with that said if you're happy and you think you are fairly compensated based on the job market you're in, then go for it. But people in this particular thread are going to yell at you until you change jobs every 2 years :)