Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 14, 2020

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 6, 2017

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Happy Thread posted:

I recently came up with a sort of manipulative.... trick... to get through interviews with. I tried it on my last one. To my surprise it landed me a research lab job that I knew I was under-qualified for by objective measures.

As thanks for this thread's advice, I typed it up for your amusement. It covers both the interview and the salary negotiation, since most of us do both.

Happy Thread posted:

Either they'll tell you some flaw in the narrative you gave early on (that you can fix next time), or something better will happen.

Dik Hz posted:

Don't use that final question. It's transparent even if you are "subtle". A decent manager is going to ask about their concerns regardless if you ask that question or not.

Lockback posted:

Asking questions as you go is a good tip. People like to talk, and will like you if you give them chances to talk.

I get asked that "What hesitations do you have about hiring me" all the time and I have an automatic go-to to deflect. It's not a bad question I guess, but also it won't work.

Ok, so Happy is a little naive, but this is an extremely useful and effective tactic; however, its best function is not to manipulate, hard sell, or straighten up your narrative, it's to know when you walk out of the room whether or not you got the job.

I've been using this ("What would stop you from hiring me?" final question) since 2011. For each job search (2011, 2014, 2018) in that period I had 70-75% success rate in getting offers (7-8 offers per search in 2011 and 2014, 3 in my 2017-2018 search) and this end-question gave me great accuracy in knowing when I left the site each time whether I'd be getting one or not.

Sure ~20% of interviewers give you their go-to deflection, and another 30% will bullshit you, but in general, and I'd say 80% of the time for the actual hiring manger, you get authentic feedback, positive or negative. Often, if you've built a good rapport, the feedback sounds exactly how they'd describe how the interview went to their boss or co-interviewer.

I do agree that if it's negative it gives you the opportunity for one more riposte, an attempt to turn the highlighted weakness into a strength or opportunity, but in my experience by that point their mind is made up. Your best strategy is probably agreement and acceptance to communicate you can reflect and that you do have self-awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This also depends on the field - there are some super hot fields where offers abound.

it's timing and choosing your battles

oil & gas 2014 vs 2015 huuge difference in market conditions starting late 2014

I agree with Eric, though, only 25% really do end up being worth anything. the rest are leverage and practice.

sometimes you just don't know that going in