Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

El Mero Mero posted:

What are people's opinion about just lying about your current salary (or inflating it) and then using that number to negotiate slightly up from?

I'd say that the counterexample is a company lying about a salary to you. I once accepted an offer of $X, and my boss attached the words "That's at the very high end of what we usually pay people in your role." I have no reason to believe that wasn't true, but assume I later found out he was lying, that person and that company would lose a significant chunk of my respect.

So, if the lie is plausible and/or you're 99% sure it'll never be found out, sure, go for it. But realize you're betting a huge amount of your credibility, which may be worth a lot of money long term.

My advice would still be to keep your current salary entirely out of the negotiation. Look at it this way: if the hiring company is willing to pay you $Y after knowing that you currently make 0.95 x $Y, they should also be willing to pay you $Y for your skills alone. They're definitely able to; they just admitted as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
How does one best go about applying for an open position in one's own company?

A friend is working at a decent sized company, about 2000 people in head office and 10k world wide. The role is OK, but not stellar, and she's slightly underemployed.

Now the company is looking (externally) for a candidate which matches her profile rather well. What are the unwritten rules for applying for a position like this? Like in any other scenario, I guess the goal is to not let it backfire on you. I have no idea what the policies/traditions in this company are on internal recruiting.

Is it best to apply "externally" like any other candidate, or should one have a lunch with the potential dept. leader and do it a bit more unofficially.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hello thread, I need advice. It's time for the annual "salary adjustment" in my company. It's the first time for me, as I've only been here a little over a year and it's the first time I'm eligible.

At it's core, the adjustment is a decree. I'm not entirely sure how the pot of gold is divided and who does it, but at the end of the day, you're presented with a number, and while you can bitch and moan, 90+% of the time that'll get you nowhere.

Now, I had my monthly meeting with my manager the other day, and the topic came up. The conversation went something like this:

Boss: "So what's your expectations?"
Me: (Oh crap what do I say now, better aim high!) "Well, I'm super good and have the skills for the role, got up to speed quickly, few sick days etc. When I was hired a little over a year ago, the company ate my salary demand in the first try, so it obviously wasn't completely unswallowable. I expect 5-10%."
Boss: "Well... it's lower than that."
Me: "...OK."

It seems to me that he's in no position to actually influence my number, so why the gently caress would he bother to ask for my expectations? He caught me by surprise, but thinking it over I actually find it a bit of a dick move. In effect, he forced me to show my hand while knowing that it mattered absolutely fuckall in the end.

I would love any input on this. For the record, while I think a 3-5% raise would be fair in my situation, I should also state that I'm well compensated and that I really like the position/tasks/people/location, so in a sense I have a piss poor BATNA.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's probably 2.5% COLA as opposed to an actual merit increase.

We have very little inflation in my locale currently - about 1%.

fantastic in plastic posted:

Why do you think that 3% is fair? It's basically enough to cover inflation and not much else. You haven't developed any new skills, gotten materially better at your job, or gone above & beyond at any point in the previous year?

If you're irritated that they aren't giving you as much of a raise as you think you deserve, that's a fine thing to feel. Start interviewing elsewhere.

Again, very low inflation.

I have developed new skills. I have created things that no one else had thought of before, I have become either the authority or matched the previous authority in a number of areas, and while I haven't put in a string of 100-hour weeks, I have frequently stayed around to make sure we met goals when things were busy.

I'm not so much irritated that I'm not given a certain percentage raise. My entire career (~10 years) has been very low raises broken up by huge leaps after getting a new job. I'm mainly irritated and puzzled that my boss would go about things like he did.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

If you're in a big corporate environment then your direct manager probably has very little leverage in what your raise is prima facie.

Basically, he can't actually dictate his personnel budget and might not even be able to have full discretion in how the budget is allotted.

I fully agree with this assessment.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Consequently, he probably was not astutely negotiating and trying to get you to splurge out a ceiling, but instead was trying to figure out if the thing he can give you is gonna be good enough, and if he's gonna have to chew some glass to keep you around.

It's hard to tell, and it doesn't sound like you're close enough with your manager to know one way from the other. But it might be that having a good offer in hand (say of 5-10%) can result in matching IF:

- Your present employer is a big corporate.
- Your present manager does want to keep you around. You can feel out more of this after you get the actual raise number.
- You use the counter offer to leverage the raise in the way that inflicts the least pain on your direct manager.

That means you give him a lot of time to respond and set up the counter offer.

IF you pursue that strategy, you might get to a deadline point with the first offer and not have gotten an acceptable counter. If you don't leave at this point, you've shown your current employer how much they have to lose by not negotiating with you (it's nothing. They lose nothing.)

Fully agree, again, and thank you for your comments.

I'm not very close with my manager. He's only been here for a few months, and we don't enjoy good chemistry.

The honest truth is that I would still stick around with a 0% raise, but of course I don't have to let management know this. What I'm mainly concerned with is if this sets the precedent for a number of years with COLA-at-best adjustments.

I'll await the actual number, maybe snoop around a bit and see where I'm at compared to my peers, maybe object a little bit, and take it from there.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Well, Balls^3, you kinda screwed up showing your hand. You can try to negotiate, seeing as the worst that can happen is that you're stuck at the 60k, or you can use some more or less bullshit excuse as to why you want more (does the figure include pension, for example.)

It all boils down to how ready you would be to walk. But if my career has taught me anything, it is that salary bumps during hiring are much, much easier than salary increases during tenure.

I'm right around of 250% of starting salary, and I can attribute two thirds of the increase to job changes.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hi thread.

The wife has currently been offered a position at her old job, basically the same she was doing, but with a promotion. She left around 18 months ago.

At her previous tenure, she accumulated around 8% raise over 3+ years of service.

When they asked for her salary expectations, she gave an ambitious but realistic number, which they accepted.

New salary: 45% higher than her last paycheck at the place.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dik Hz posted:

Congrats to her! Put it in the win column. But that's a sure sign she could have asked for more. If your old job tries to hire you back, the best number is the highest one you can say with a straight face.

That's the eternal question. If you get what you asked for, did you squeeze them for their last penny or was there still room for more.

We'll never know, but I'm a fan of a couple of philosophies:

- No one ever went broke taking profits.
- Know when you've won.
- This is a datapoint that can be used in future negotiations.

In this particular case, we took her current base + best-case bonus, which has been very shaky in 2020, Added 5%, rounded up and went for it. New position doesn't have bonus, so it's guaranteed salary.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I think I’ve told this story before, but once, in an interview, I was asked for my salary expectations.

I said a number, to which the interviewing manager blurted out:

“That’s a lot! How does that compare to what you’re making now?”

Let’s just say that any and all desire to work for him vanished in the following seconds.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dik Hz posted:

I want to impress this point: Decent managers want to pay competitive market rates because it's really hard to retain talented people if you don't. Determining salary should be at least partially collaborative because employees want money and managers want to keep them when they stick around long enough to be productive.

Also, in the long run, it’s in everybody’s interest that salaries are fair. Managers (should) want motivated, happy employees and employees want to be able to argue that they provide value to the company in the event of financial dire straits.

Being way overcompensated is great but unsustainable, just like the other way around is, seen from the company’s point of view.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BonHair posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'm fairly certain that expectations are quite different between the US and Denmark regarding work hours. Unless you're a super career person, 37-40 hours is absolutely the norm. I am very definitely gonna be clear that I might work overtime once in a while, but it won't be the norm.

As for transportation, I live fairly centrally in Copenhagen, where most businesses are. It's Denmark, so the distances are a lot smaller. I honestly don't expect a problem, but I am going to ask about it. I know they have billing for transportation at least.

It definitely seems like I was gonna lowball myself, also are talking to my union, so that's good to know. I'm gonna adjust accordingly and report back.

I'm also Danish. If you're OK with it, PM me your LinkedIn, and I'll give my two cents.

TL;DR: You could probably close this at way more than 40k.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Boot and Rally posted:

I've given companies a choice between 5 more days PTO and $50k more and they always say 'more PTO is impossible, we'll see about the $50k'.

Usa.txt

I’d value a rad boss solidly in the low five figures though. I went from a hurry-up-and-wait micro managing scrum fetishist to a chill nerd with a PhD who’ll happily spend 45 minutes of a meeting talking about camera gear. It would take a SIGNIFICANT raise to put me back with the first one.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Shiat, I got quoted, grammar mistakes and all.

Anyways, don’t disclose current salary, walk away if they press the issue.

DO have a suitably shameless number prepared if they ask you what your expectations are. The less they’ve told you about the total package, the bigger the number, because you have to assume the worst.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

evobatman posted:

Remember that while you are sitting around stroking your impostor syndrome, actual real morons who are better paid than you are confidently loving poo poo up out there.

Amen.

Never underestimate the Dunning–Kruger effect.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

buglord posted:

Despite all odds I’ve made it to the third and final round of the interview. I don’t think I can kick the salary can down the road any longer.

The floor is 55k, the goal is 60k, the ceiling is 62k.

If I stick to my guns with 60k, will they say “ok we’ll consider it” and then choose the guy who accepted 55k instead? I guess that’s a funny way to put it, but I’m quite worried that somehow I lose the job so someone who offers to do it cheaper. Or does that come after I’m selected (god willing)?

Sorry these are really dumb questions but this is the first time I’m able to negotiate anything instead of flat out accepting minimum wage because I have no other choice.

It’s usually way more important to get the right candidate than to save 5k. Unless, like someone said above me, they’re poo poo.

It can also cost way, WAY more than 5k to hire the wrong guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BadSamaritan posted:

I’m in a weird spot for negotiation and would appreciate some insight from the thread.

I work in a moderately niche healthcare support field. I worked at a large campus full time for $63k ($30/hr) and tried to go part time there. They didn’t bite, so I left for a very similar role with part time hours for $55k ($44/hr). I’ve worked there for about a year and a half, can’t stand my manager but am able to tough it out. Both positions are salaried/exempt, no meaningful bonuses, standard formula vacation hours.

Colleague from the first place contacted me for a flex hours full time opening that is a promotion from my position (ie analyst 2 vs analyst 1). Interviewed right away and they’re having hr extend an offer in the coming week.

The manager at the first place is aware of what I make at my current job from when I left. I doubt they will offer the equivalent hourly rate, but I do really want this job and am willing to entertain a slightly lower per hour rate.

I think I have a lot of ability to negotiate up- they know the quality of my work, I’m already pretty integrated into the support structure, and I walk through the door being useful rather than training for 6+ months.

How should I approach negotiations coming from part time? My rates for benefits will be significantly better, but I feel like I shouldn’t undercut myself there.

First of all, this is why you should try to not disclose what your new salary is when resigning. (Don’t know how your old manager knows, not insinuating you spilled the beans.)

Second, the good thing about them having this knowledge is that it puts a floor under their offer. They know they have to match + say 5%. Of course, this is also a negative.

I would approach this like any other negotiation. Focus on the value you add, and let it be known between the lines that you expect a raise to change positions.

Finally, it’s not in the hiring manager’s best interest to get you as cheaply as possible, it’s in his or her best interest to make the budget look good while making you happy enough to be retained. It’s not the manager’s money (although I’ve certainly met some that acted that way.)