Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah speaking as another person who has never been and never will be in that position, that all sounds completely accurate; the number one goal is to get you into a better place, the number two goal is to protect yourself and your reputation, and the number three goal is to help the HR of the company remove the toxic, dangerous manager from a position of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Well, maybe this will happen everywhere and we can stop answering the "what should I put in the previous salary box" and instead say "do not volunteer this information, and if they ask, they're doing something illegal".

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2016/08/01/3803836/massachusetts-equal-pay/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

psychokitty posted:

I have a standard job title, Environmental Engineer. And there's really only one other person here remotely at my level but the situation is quite different because I'm much older and have 2 degrees, so it's kind of apples/oranges.

So it sounds like what you should do is find out how much you're worth, and the best way is to get a job offer.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

I think it goes both ways. People overestimate their own contributions to team successes and downplay their role in team failures. So they almost always think they contribute more than their peers. So it can be highly demotivating for people to find out coworkers make more than them. But their are also companies that put the hush on coworkers discussing salary to get away with paying poo poo.

I mean most companies discourage it, lawfully or not.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

I've just been transferred to a different department after doing my new position's responsibilities since the beginning of spring. This also prompted HR to notice they've been incorrectly paying me shift premium that entire time and hold it out my check resulting in an effective 70% pay cut until sometime in february. Should I even come back from lunch?

Yeah, but look for a new job immediately and don't give two weeks? Wow, I would be monumentally pissed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

I interviewed with several research places in Boston back in 2010. Nobody wanted to pay more than $30k for a research tech, except Harvard. They paid $37k, so I took it.

Sounds like pay hasn't increased in 6 years, which is sad.

Wages have basically not gone up in general. It's not sad, it's class warfare. :c00lbutt:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Don't tell them it's less than what you're making, don't tell them anything about your current salary.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

have you read any of the nine trillion posts in this thread about counteroffering and benchmarking?

I suggested he post here instead of a completely unrelated chat thread, don't be rude :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bamhand posted:

We have a "mandatory" PTO day this holiday season but they're also gifting us 2 days. Though technically you can just work from home on the mandatory day and record the hours as work instead of vacation. No one else in the company would be working so I'm not sure what you would even do though.

"record the hours as work" and "no one...would be working" seem to mesh pretty well, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Last week I gave a single number to a recruiter and she got very, very confused. “That’s a very specific number. Can you provide, like, a range?”

Basically what she wanted was how much lower I could go. It was dumb.

Oh that sounds like a great opportunity to go

"Okay, that number to that number + 15%".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Headhunter: "So what sort of salary range would you be thinking of?"
Me: "It would have to depend on the whole package, obviously."
Headhunter: "Yeah but what sort of range? I know you haven't been interviewing recently, but even internal recruiters would need to know a range before continuing."
Me: "Well, can you tell me what sort of salary the places you are mentioning might give?"
Headhunter: "Well they don't give me a range but we've placed at x with y bonus, mostly."
Me: "Yeah that sounds reasonable, pending full packages, again."

seems about right?

edit: this is indeed the first time I'm interviewing for the last dozen years, so I'm v rusty and don't want to handicap myself before I even get started

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 3, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

All good answers, thanks. This is just the most aggressive headhunter that's contacted me so far.

I made it clear that I would be looking at an overall package, regardless, but I guess even suggesting that yeah that sounds like it might be okay is too much?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fair nuf.

Also I didn't much like that recruiter so hey, I can just not follow up with him anymore.

Lots more calls and stuff, with no numbers discussed at all, so yeah.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

spwrozek posted:

The amount of people who counter with a range is amazing me. This is the third person I have tried to hire to do it. When you put you want 90-95k that means 90k (which means I counter lower). Hopefully none of you are doing this.

See the thread title. I'm never giving a number, but especially never giving a range.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Okay I'm potentially at offer stage. Had my first in person interview and they seem to really like me. I also have an in person interview with a different company later this week.

They seem very intent on getting a number out of me, this is for a principal software engineer in the Boston suburbs (i.e. not in the city).

I'm trying to decide what I should say. Given that this is my first interview, I don't have any specific knowledge of comparable salaries.

I love the location and mission, and merely like those two things for the company I have later this week, and don't have any in person interviews scheduled otherwise.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 16, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Keystoned posted:

Was just contacted about a position and theyre asking if i have a non compete. Technically yes - its in the standard employee agreement that everyone signs and Im wondering what the best way to approach this is.

The company is similar in many ways whic is attractive but we service different demographics so it would be easy to argue we dont directly compete.

They did specifically mention my company though when referencing the non compete and they have had issues hiring candidates from us in the past.

For reference i am in admin. Nothing product/sales/client related.

Might depend on state, check your state law (MA is super good about this)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Okay I'm potentially at offer stage. Had my first in person interview and they seem to really like me. I also have an in person interview with a different company later this week.

They seem very intent on getting a number out of me, this is for a principal software engineer in the Boston suburbs (i.e. not in the city).

I'm trying to decide what I should say. Given that this is my first interview, I don't have any specific knowledge of comparable salaries.

I love the location and mission, and merely like those two things for the company I have later this week, and don't have any in person interviews scheduled otherwise.

Wacky job hunting ensued. This place got me to give a pie in the sky number, they actually offered a decent bit lower, I negotiated it up slightly, and kept interviewing at a place I was also excited about.

Who proceeded to do a full day, brought me in for a second full day, then rejected me "due to not having a team where I could make a big impact" whatever the poo poo that means.

Then I took that first offer, which I'm glad I negotiated up and is ridiculously convenient commute wise, and that about settles my hunt. I appreciate the advice, and maybe next time (not anytime soon I hope) I'll just be able to handle it without! Or I'll be back.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah and note it's not hr who's saying this, don't confuse the reason, it's your boss or one or two levels higher that's saying it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

What's the deal with unlimited vacation? It's obviously not unlimited, they aren't paying you to be on vacation permanently. It just feels loving lovely to read that as a policy

At a good company it means you don't get a vacation day payout when you leave, so the company isn't carrying that liability on its sheets.

At a bad company, it's a way to pressure employees into taking less vacation than they'd demand in a normal accrual framework.

Most companies that do it are in the latter bucket.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah don't give notice until offer is signed and references or background check is done.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

...can you sign it anyway, send it back, request a counter signature? Like, what the poo poo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's more if anything goes haywire later, they can't say "you made that up, we clearly didn't sign it" or whatever.

I'm also not a lawyer though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Because usually the answer to that is "it's up to your employer"?

Or "make sure your boss is good and fights for their team members"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Motronic posted:

Hey gently caress you.

:gritty:

:wrongcity:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Besides, if you want to draw notice, why not loudly organize for a union, and see how long they take to "fire you for performance reasons"?

(don't do this)

((everyone should organize though))

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Never tell them how much you make. It should be illegal to ask, and is in some states. If they refuse to consider you on the basis of you not telling them, run away, that's a red flag.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

If you're dead set on applying to them, figure out the highest number you can say out loud without flinching, then add 20%.

But if this is how they treat people that haven't even applied yet, how will they treat you if you work there?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

he didnt even really get a counteroffer he got a counter wellmaybe

Right, a counteroffer is literally as of right now, signed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Can you sense the employers' emotions as leverage though?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Betazoid posted:

Bro, the hiring manager is Ferengi, so no, it doesn't work.

poo poo! Would have been useful though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all consulting are bad

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That is a *horrible* situation, jesus. You have, more or less, zero leverage and they know it.

I'd recommend making sure you have an employment lawyer at least ready to call, because that sounds sketchy as *gently caress*.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I suppose so. Still really sketchy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dongsturm posted:

maybe it's like spam mails where they are accidentally filtering for people naive or desperate enough to believe a ridiculous story, and wasting everyone else's time.

It's this, they don't want anyone who won't give them way more than they're paying for

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

jimmychoo posted:

thanks all, no surprise that it worked! saved by the goons again. i only had the guts to ask for a 3% salary increase and that's what i got. not unhappy of course because their original offer was great.

earmark a bit of whatever that comes out to post-tax for something nice in a year, imo :3:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Guinness posted:

Big congrats, another thread success story!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > The Negotiation Thread: How to Succeed in Spite of Yourself Without Really Trying

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Very much so. RSUs are basically just cash, but at a varying amount based on the market when they vest.

Options are still who knows, but instead of them being worthless nearly all the time, it's more like...most of the time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yes. What I mean is, if you work for a public company, and they give you options that vest, they have a higher chance of being convertible at first opportunity to cash than non public companies.

Never take options instead of salary, and RSUs are risky.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

yeah 0. Or sometimes they prevent that, and you can put 1 in.

If they're going so far out of their way to stop applicants who don't want to give a salary, they'll probably ignore it once a human looks at it anyway, but that's their loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Wibla posted:

I booked a "followup meeting" with my manager today, for Monday at noon, with no agenda.

:sun:

Absolutely brutal.