Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I generally play spiral galaxies and owing to early geographic division end up with two enormous sectors called 'Spinwards' and 'Widdershins'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I love this so much.

I've probably said it a few times, but the way that parrots uniquely wear space helmets all the time makes me laugh every time I see them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Kitchner posted:

No, if they grow big enough a yellow version of them spawns and they fight each other but that's about it

Wait, really?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I love this so much.

I've probably said it a few times, but the way that parrots uniquely wear space helmets all the time makes me laugh every time I see them.

Spacesuits even in the Bronze Age. They are one of my favourites: in one of my games an AI version of them formed an ultra-Pacifist AI Federation: despite their peaceful ways they turned out to be brutally effective badasses who continually crushed vastly superior Militarist opponents who outgunned them nearly 10 to 1.

Whilst I'm genuinely enthusiastic about all the new species rights/slavery/purge options et al, I am skeptical as to whether the AI will be able to use them effectively. I suspect they will probably just develop a set of default policy preferences for each AI personality type. Which could work up to a point I guess

EDIT:

Bold Robot posted:

Wait, really?

Yeah. Technically two extra factions of Unbidden can also come through if the Unbidden get big enough/survive long enough - the Aberrant and the Vehement. They all hate eachother as much as they hate everyone else. However given how easy it was (prior to 1.4 I think) to destroy their portal, the Unbidden rarely lived long enough to spawn

Tigey fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 19, 2017

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Bold Robot posted:

Wait, really?

They fight each other, and you.

Basically you can get 3 separate Unbidden factions, the Unbidden, Aberrant, and Vehement, all of whom want to devour the galaxy but don't want the others to.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ORBITAL HABITATS?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!
WIZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Aleth posted:

I'm going to enslave and eat the universe.

Thread title please.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sky Shadowing posted:

They fight each other, and you.

Basically you can get 3 separate Unbidden factions, the Unbidden, Aberrant, and Vehement, all of whom want to devour the galaxy but don't want the others to.

Nobody is going to devour the galaxy but me.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I like the idea that every empire is going to have a species designated as domestic servant put on every plant, except for a homeworld set aside only to production of slaves, to boost happiness of everyone else. Then I realized that there is going to be a mod renaming domestic servitude to pleasure slaves. :whitewater:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope they add some diplomacy along with all these choices. For instance you may have a radical emancipation faction that is upset if you make any deals with your neighbour who's brutally enslaving people, and in fact want you to go to war. Would love to see some "CB"'s for going to war over huge ideological / rights issues.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Rincewinds posted:

I like the idea that every empire is going to have a species designated as domestic servant put on every plant, except for a homeworld set aside only to production of slaves, to boost happiness of everyone else. Then I realized that there is going to be a mod renaming domestic servitude to pleasure slaves. :whitewater:

The introduction of robot maids will surely secure the anime market.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
please allow us to rename orbhabs and make any orbhab named "space station 13" randomly explode kthx

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Is there anything more important in the early game than getting an industrial scientist into your physics slot?

It's just so damned nice to not have to worry about energy because you're producing three times as much per power plant as everyone else.

Also I checked how much of the galaxy I could explore with the initial corvettes in a new game in 2 years - it turns out to be around half of a large galaxy, maybe a bit less, with Warp. Not too shabby! Even faster with hyperlanes, I'm sure - and anyone who wants to see that nerfed is a goddamn rear end in a top hat, btw. I got some nice enclaves to trade with, found a nice chunk of the galaxy without any civs in it and I've set up a station to basically block off access to it so I have a ton of room to grow into, and an absolutely killer colonization prospect that is, admittedly, 654 influence away (but then, I have the influence to spend thanks to all the alien races I've made contact with so why not use it?)

Not having a military when the pirates showed up did cost me two stations before I built up a nice fleet, but imo that's a small price to pay for the knowledge I received and I could have had sufficient defenses anyway if I hadn't been spending it all on stations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Coolguye posted:

please allow us to rename orbhabs and make any orbhab named "space station 13" randomly explode kthx

Or sometimes just give you a strategic resource of space drugs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I only ever play on the two smallest sizes and hyperlanes only, so that makes exploring most of the galaxy early on pretty doable.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Coolguye posted:

Also anything named Babylon 1, 2, or 3.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:frogsiren: Stellaris is 33% off and all the DLC is 20% off. Tell your friends.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Ofaloaf posted:

I've gotten real carried away with the old timey stuff

literally just trawling wikimedia commons and hacking away at old paintings.

This is awesome, you are awesome. What mod is this under?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm HYPED about this new DLC business. I guess we're almost probably a couple months out too :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kitchner posted:

Downside is it effects performance and anecdotally I've found the AI much worse at managing planets in bigger sectors than in smaller ones

Counterpoint: small sectors are also terrible sometimes. I had a sector with exactly three planets in it for decades, all Synth pops, and I forgot to check in on them for a long time, after setting them to research focus. Turns out that in that time they built absolutely nothing. No synths, no buildings.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Xenomorphs should be stealth armies you can secretly place on non-friendly worlds that sow chaos for whoever owns the world and culminates in losing the world if not dealt with.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kitchner posted:

I was thinking sectors if like 3-4 planets rather than 7-9.

I always play with planets at 125% if that makes a difference, I don't find I've normally got enough to have multiple sectors of nearly 10 planets at a go

there's just not enough governors in the universe for that I'm afraid

I actually just won a domination victory, which caught me off guard but I'm not done until I can put down this stupid FE next door to me

i spent an afternoon already earlier in the game savescumming trying to get the edge on them and never could, and right now they've got at least 600k worth of fleets with tachyons and more bombers than I've ever seen

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

poverty goat posted:

there's just not enough governors in the universe for that I'm afraid

I actually just won a domination victory, which caught me off guard but I'm not done until I can put down this stupid FE next door to me

i spent an afternoon already earlier in the game savescumming trying to get the edge on them and never could, and right now they've got at least 600k worth of fleets with tachyons and more bombers than I've ever seen

let me tell you man:

you need to first build about 3 or 4 defense systems where you want to bait these scum in. Just build the biggest fortress with snare in the sun, and around it build only fortresses with kinetic artillery.
You will also need some tailored weapons, i find for the materialist FE you should build half kinetic artillery and half plasma guns, with a lot of fighter support and point defense.

Then you build about 300k fleet and pile it all together.
The idea is to stagger their fleets into your systems where you'll hopefully manage to begin the battle right on top of them, and destroy them without much grinding down of your own fleets.
You start the battle by attacking one of their border worlds, which they'll come defend.
If you're getting destroyed, try moving to your defense systems, and then rush to the middle where you can hopefully ambush them again. This can be risky, but hopefully you can destroy enough of them to be worth it. Save up some serious funds, and rebuild a new fleet after this.

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 19, 2017

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

Xenomorphs should be stealth armies you can secretly place on non-friendly worlds that sow chaos for whoever owns the world and culminates in losing the world if not dealt with.

I too approve of seeding enemy worlds with Genestealers.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Wild Horses posted:

let me tell you man:

that is dishonourable

I'm going to kill them honourably on the field of battle with my own 600k blob

Azuth0667 posted:

seems like an obvious future dlc crisis when they escape and start killing all your pops

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Infiltrations of primitives should totally be storylines, with one option being placing a xenomorph army on the planet, letting them fail at XCOM, and your regular armies "miraculously" swooping in and "saving the day".

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
I don't care about slavery, I just want to be able to genetically engineer aliens into xenopets.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Will this expansion let me go maximum space Juche? This is important to me Dear Leader.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

:frogsiren: Stellaris is 33% off and all the DLC is 20% off. Tell your friends.

gently caress it, bought the leviathans DLC. I can spring a fiver on it where £8 seemed a bit steep.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

This is awesome, you are awesome. What mod is this under?
The background stuff isn't in any mod yet, but all the portraits are in a collection. Trying to get a Grand Vintage Aesthetic Overhaul sort of thing completed. Just finished up the last ethos backgrounds today, already done most icons (still need to redo a few buttons tho) and replaced the fonts with more serif-y stuff. Still want to replace the vanilla building sets with something a little less sleek, too. Also want to finish up a German portrait set or two (HRE and Austro-Hungarian), too.

If I had the chops for it I'd go so far as to add in space-dirigibles and space-steamships and like space-da vinci-mobiles I guess?, except I don't have the 3D modelling chops so :/

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

poverty goat posted:

that is dishonourable

I'm going to kill them honourably on the field of battle with my own 600k blob

boo

someone's not struggling with stalinistic fervor against their overlord :commissar:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you name your starting system Yuri the game will suggest Yuri Prime for your homeplanet. We really need more mind control techs. :v:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Infiltrations of primitives should totally be storylines, with one option being placing a xenomorph army on the planet, letting them fail at XCOM, and your regular armies "miraculously" swooping in and "saving the day".

Step 1 for any improvement of what you do with primitive species:

Show where they are on the loving map holy poo poo.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The species uplift events could really use more content or outcomes or something to make them more interesting. I'd also think about how many uplifts a player is expected to do - is it like colonizing in EU4 where you are doing it all game long and individual species are not too important, or would it be smaller in number as in you uplift some dudes early they become your buddies / battle thralls and then you go conquering.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Are plants on sale. I will buy plants if they are on sale.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Are plants on sale. I will buy plants if they are on sale.

20% off. I picked up them and Leviathans yesterday.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PittTheElder posted:

Counterpoint: small sectors are also terrible sometimes. I had a sector with exactly three planets in it for decades, all Synth pops, and I forgot to check in on them for a long time, after setting them to research focus. Turns out that in that time they built absolutely nothing. No synths, no buildings.

what the gently caress is up with this? I made a huge sector and it's not making enough power so I gave it some power and went away and years later they still need power and I look at a planet and YOUVE DONE NOTHING! WHERE DID THOSE MINERALS GO?

Do I have to take planets out of the sector one-by-one and fix them, build them up and then put them back in the sector? That costs influence!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tony Montana posted:

what the gently caress is up with this? I made a huge sector and it's not making enough power so I gave it some power and went away and years later they still need power and I look at a planet and YOUVE DONE NOTHING! WHERE DID THOSE MINERALS GO?

Do I have to take planets out of the sector one-by-one and fix them, build them up and then put them back in the sector? That costs influence!

As near as I can tell the AI just gets hung up somewhere and stops doing anything. Until we get the tooltips in the next expansion it's not really possible to know more. The upside is that other Empire AI plays exactly as badly, so you're not really at a disadvantage sticking stuff in sectors.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Tony Montana posted:

This was a problem for someone else's file a few weeks ago, Wiz said that it was a bug with the sector AI allocating minerals for robots and never building them. If you toggle it off for a month that should make the sector reassess where it's spending its minerals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ah good, I'll try toggling it off. I like the sector idea, it makes sense to me. In a 4x I usually end up with with a few key military and civic cites, strategically placed so I can make units and have them anywhere in my empire efficiently. The rest are all just cash cow chucking resources into the pool for me to use. I don't really care what the equivalent of Albuquerque wants to do with their civic buildings, whatever guys if you want to elect a cow as mayor and force everyone to wear green on a tuesday, I don't give a gently caress. Just make sure my minerals are in the coffer at the end of the month, the rest is up to you.

• Locked thread