Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

ukle posted:

Sir Jackie has always been pissed off with Lewis he was even slagging him off in his debut season, he really does have a thing against him for what ever reason

Racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Rio Harian-whatever his name is will crash while being blue flagged
After Vijay Mallya is arrested, Force India will fold by the end of 2016
Sauber will get a new title sponsor mid-season: MacLaren strollers

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

GramCracker posted:

Nico doesn't win the WCD

There is nothing bold about that.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Jolyon Palmer strikes me as the type of guy who, if born 100 years ago would be an RAF pilot, shooting down Fokkers and giving the Kaiser what for.

Jolyon Palmer is a cool.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Good God Sky loves to polish Shamilton's knob. Martin Brundle said at the end of the race that Hamilton's crash "took the sheen off the race." If the TSN broadcast was any better I'd switch over and watch that.

As for other teams complaining about Haas "buying" their car; the parts that Haas buys from Ferrari amount to basically running gear minus brakes (which are bought from either Brembo or Carbon Dynamics). Haas actually has to design and build the actual car themselves.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Goetta posted:

Dallara does the chassis right? That seems like a big ol' part of the car

The Haas Factory in America designs the car, Dallara turns the designs into actual carbon fibre parts, and the Haas factory in NorthWest GlouchesterBuckinghamshire upon Trent assembles the parts into a car, and then paints it as well I think. They might be painted before they get to the UK, I'm not sure on that.

So I'd say Dallara's part is rather small. Haas is still building their car, they designed the thing and they assemble it.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 5, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

Oh and Vettel had a get out clause at red bull that made his contract void if he didn't win a race that season and shame on people for believing Horner, and you are mental if you don't think going to Haas gives you a better shot at a Ferrari seat than staying at renault and if you think Grosjean would give the remotest poo poo about being the Rubens.

Straight from the Crypt Keeper's mouth: Ferrari want Ricciardo

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

be nice wicka posted:

please make it so. please get are dan to freedom.

Vettel's meltdown would be incredible

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

be nice wicka posted:

i think matsushita would depend a lot on how much funding they could get from honda/other japanese sponsors. nasr brings a lot of money.

Bring back Taki Inoue

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
If the rumours are true and Sauber can't even afford to be at the next race, then I don't know how they are going to get a Honda engine for next year.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I presume that would involve limiting aero, is there some reason the teams don't want to limit aero?

Probably because it's the only thing that differentiates the cars and without it F1 might as well be a spec series.

Also because it would slow the cars down.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

Sort of, it actually all stems form a failed attempt to float F1 on the Turkish stock exchange. There was no formal prize giving or money distribution structure before that, you got what you were given by Bernie, but in order to get the legal go ahead from the Turkish government Bernie had to put what we have now together, smaller teams signed because it made it much easier to attract investors and take out loans when they didn't have to say "I dunno how much we get it depends on how Bernie feels"

CVC is trying to get rid of all it's shares asap because this agreement is null and void in 2020 and the teams can rightfully say "48% for doing what exactly? gently caress off"

It was the Singapore stock exchange. Not the Turkish.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
gently caress Yes

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

I'm not getting my hopes up just yet it's just repeating that rumour in the Brazilian press without adding anything new or any supporting evidence.

Spin up the hype machine and set it to "Maximum"

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Kilonum posted:

If they do this they should rebadge the engines in the Haas cars as Chryslers

Haas: Powered by Dodge. *hellcat jumps across the screen*

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

The English press are a very odd group of people, and I say English because you don't get this to the same extent with the Scots/Welsh.

The media, including Sky, says: We like a hard luck story, we like a young talent and we will support and celebrate them on their way up and will pathologically defend them often in the face of all logic or reason, but the moment they get very successful that's it, they are far too big for their boots and must be dragged down again, preferably right into the gutter. We are biased against Americans because they are a young country who have done very well for themselves, but we like Australia because they are more "down to earth" and also because a lot of us have relations living there and we are owned by an Australian.

The British are silly buggars.

If Williams and Force India have a problem with buying parts, then maybe they should start designing their own braking systems instead of buying them from Brembo. Every team up and down the grid buys off the shelf parts from one company or another. They just don't like Americans.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

They actually admitted they don't know how to fix it and have given it to "Daimler Benz" ( I am assuming Toto meant Daimler AG). No idea if their clutch guy moved there or if this the first time they have worked on a F1 clutch before, or if it will be ready for China.

What the gently caress does Daimler Benz know about making clutches? They stopped making manual transmissions back in the 80's.

1500quidporsche posted:

It's so dumb because anyone else would just run an Xtrac gearbox. Why wouldn't you want a leading team's gearbox?

Marussia and Caterham were the last teams to run Xtrac gearboxes. I have a (I think) 1st gear from an old Caterham Xtrac gearbox. You'd expect F1 gears to be made of titanium or inconel or something to save weight, but it's so heavy that I'm pretty sure it's just steel.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 6, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

JFairfax posted:

you still have clutches in automatics, and F1 cars are not manuals anyway

In double clutch systems you do, but those are fairly recent things. Standard automatics that were Merc's bread and butter for decades are torque converters and clutch packs made of a bunch of alternating friction discs and steel discs. Not exactly your traditional clutch.

[edit]I will admit that practically everything uses a double clutch system now. I stand by my criticism of Mercedes. gently caress the cars. gently caress the race team.

[edit2] In other news, Renault is going to bring the engineering perfection of diesel combustion to their engines in Canada. It's been a good long time since we've seen an engine window itself in F1. I can't wait.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 6, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

El Hefe posted:

Driving a manual in a big city is an awful experience tbf

I love driving manuals, but yeah I agree. Driving a manual in a big city or in rush hour stop and go traffic is so awful that I will do everything in my power to drive an automatic if I know I'm going to be in that.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I might have gotten lucky with my cars (Z28, miata, fit) but i dont even think about shifting, and i commute an hour and a half on I95 in one of the most sprawl-y crowded areas in the south. Does it not just happen......automatically for you?
I am willing to admit that my manual transmission woes are entirely my fault for being an idiot kid and dropping a "Stage 2" South Bend clutch into my GTI because "hurr hurr race car." And as a result the now heavy loving clutch would make my leg sore when inching 6" forward every 2 seconds. I've never actually done it with a sensible car.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

but good luck diagnosing an auto that wont shift out of third, or rebuilding all those high pressure valves properly.

Go to the junkyard and hack a working automatic out of another car and replace your broken one. Do not open that box of whispers and shadows.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

This conversation is very American.

How dare you.

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah it seems pretty daft that the man born in a loving tax haven needs more assistance in not paying tax.

Apparently, it's only a tax haven if your income comes from Monaco. Income outside of Monaco is taxed, but at a drastically lower rate than any other EU country worth living in.
Nvm, this is wrong. residents don't pay income tax.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 7, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Can someone explain to me why success ballast is such a bad idea?

1st, 2nd, 3rd get 200lbs, 150lbs, 100lbs respectively mounted to the top of the engine cover (can be on the inside so as to not disrupt the aero, as long as it's still mounted as high up as possible). This ballast is applied for the next race during FP1 and cannot be removed until the race is over on Sunday.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with that system (maybe the weight isn't enough.)

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Because F1 is supposed to be the test of who has is the fastest driver in the fastest car and messing around with that changes the whole purpose formula.
And yet, here we are.

be nice wicka posted:

"ballast" is a metaphor, it would actually be implemented as time penalties. but to answer your question, it's a competition, penalizing the best teams defeats the point of a competition.
Again, "competition" doesn't matter. If it did, we wouldn't be going through all of these rule changes or quali bullshit.

be nice wicka posted:

plus - it's not going to work. it's F1, teams are going to figure out the best balancing of starting/finishing positions to maximize points gained given ballast penalties, it will make the sport even worse.

Ok, that's a fair point.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

simplefish posted:

Hey we could do that as a fun thread thing: what are some of the defining features of F1 that should be present throughout changes, in your opinions?
- Millionaire playboys acting like literal children
- blatantly corrupt officials
- sometimes a car race happens.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Multiple tire manufacturers

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

Wow Peter Windsor just eviscerated Bottas in his latest video, and practically out and out said Massa was a better driver than him despite being washed up.

Peter Windsor is a retard.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

be nice wicka posted:

I also think its unfair to suggest mercedes is winning solely because their engine is the best.

It's not solely due to the engine, but the majority of their success is due to it, yeah.

1500quidporsche posted:

You just have to look at Williams to see that the Mercedes engine is only part of the reason they're ultra dominant.

Or hell, look at Manor last race. A team that previously was struggling to race at the back, and now is able to push to 17th.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I want Nico to win WDC because it seems like he just works so drat hard for it. It always sucks when you find out your best isn't good enough, so I hope he gets it just once.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
More Canadians plz.

Who am I kidding, if it's not hockey Canada doesn't give a gently caress.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Nothing about motorcycles is great

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Are we finally going to have sprinklers on the tracks? :allears:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I trust 1500quidporsche's opinion on engine dynamics far more than I trust wika's insane ramblings over perceived misunderstandings in an article based on speculation. I do however, love reading it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

krushgroove posted:

I'm not the one that is taking offense at anything directed at you, so it's not on me to stop it. You don't have to reply every single time someone mentions you or directs a post at you. You don't have to demand that people stop posting about/to you - well, you can but they don't have to listen to you. You are free to ignore those posts, or put those users on Ignore. If the other posters won't do what you seem to be asking, that's on YOU.

This is the first time I've commented on this, and it'll be the last. Unless you bring it up again.

I like Wicka too - I like pretty much all of the posters here. I wish some like Kade and that cool guy that made the awesome steering wheel mod for sim racing posted more, though. And yeah, Alonso's pretty smokin'

Does no one want my books? :(

How much do the books weigh? My in laws are coming here from Leicester, so I might get them to being them for me.

Otherwise, let me know how much shipping will be to British Columbia. I will take all of them.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Riccardo is dressed like a farmer.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Riso posted:

Lewis looks like are our Jacques, Villeneuve.

You loving take that back. Are Jacques :canada: was a humble, well meaning individual.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

Has Keke ever done the podium interview? I feel like he'd be just as good as Piquet and this is the year to do it.

No one gives a better podium interview than Gerhart.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

The only massive shunt Lewis has had lately is into a Bottas.

There's also the...oh wait, you said shunt. Nevermind.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Norns posted:

Office is a work in progress please ignore cables and poo poo.

I have that same keyboard. You should get an Oculous, and a drivers licence and then go here

1500quidporsche posted:

I will say learning to wrench/drive stick/race on a shoestring budget can be a blast no matter how dull and boring autocross is though, its a shame karting isn't more prevalent in north america because if your club has its own facility its great to just head out on a weeknight and blast out a few laps.

This actually beats all sim racing. You haven't lived until you've scraped your knuckles across a hot radiator but you don't stop working because this bitch has to be on track in an hour. I am eager to start karting for serious.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Human Grand Prix posted:

Fixing your broken car sucks rear end dude, I disagree.

Racing real cars is better than racing fake cars. Sometimes you gotta fix poo poo, it's part of the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Norns posted:

It's cool you enjoy racing irl.
It's cool you enjoy sim racing.

1500quidporsche posted:

ehh there's pluses and minuses on both sides, I can see why some people would prefer sim racing. Norns doesn't have to keep a rape van on his insurance that reeks of brake cleaner and pre mix and probably looks really attractive to crackheads who need some fast cash. Also as fun as karting is, its physically exhausting and I broke a rib or something last year. It would've been cool not feeling like I was hit by a bus two or three days a week.
I mean, yeah I get that. But nothing worth having comes easy, and ultimately at the end of the day any hobby has you putting up with massive amounts of bullshit for a fleeting moment of "this is awesome." I've gone down the sim racing road, and it never really appealed to me. But loving around with cars and then racing them around a bunch of cones was way more fun, even though the bullshit level was way higher. And doing that Chumpcar race was even better.

how did you break your rib?

Human Grand Prix posted:

I do it as a hobby as well but I'm just being real.

Fixing broken cars is only good when you have the luxury of being slow and just enjoying it without worrying if it runs today or not. Fixing cars on a timeline loving sucks, but sometimes adrenaline helps with that.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 16, 2016

• Locked thread