Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

emoji posted:

Why do a ton of unnecessary work for no benefit when you said yourself the forums work fine?

every part of this sentence is wrong

it's not a ton of work, the work isn't unnecssary, it would have benefit, and i didn't say the forums work fine, i said they've been maintained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

completely understandable

i didn't really assume that e.g. the latest vbulletin would have all of the functionality we needed, but there's got to be a piece of forums software that allows for sane extensibility; in which case knowing what features you have the ability to rewrite and bolt on atomically might be feasible, and unless the features are completely intertwined, work on those can be done in parallel (i'm always looking for code poo poo to work on in my spare time, and i'm sure i'm not alone)

edit: okay you answered my reply as i was writing it :-)

thanks for the work you've been doing in any event, i'm sure it's slowly but surely getting better

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zen death robot posted:

*i work with telcom software so my threshold for "unworkable mess" may be a lot higher than normal

at least here you don't have vendor support guys lying to you over the phone as they fumble around in your database

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

zen death robot posted:

And yes, I did an honest look at what it would take to move to a new vBulliten base and it was not going to work as-is or with any existing plugins. So you'd end up doing exactly what was done years ago - taking vBulliten and re-writing massive chunks of it. At that point, why even bother with the vBulletin part?

I know it's going to end up being php and mysql forever most likely but what would be your ideal software stack be if you had unlimited resources?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
aren't most really big forums out there on heavily customized forum software regardless?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

zen death robot posted:

*i work with telcom software so my threshold for "unworkable mess" may be a lot higher than normal

im so sorry

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

horse mans posted:

what part of my post is funny
the armchair computer janitoring

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

zen death robot posted:

a DR drill coming up

cool, I love his tweets

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ZDR what's plans for mobile? I dunno about anroid but iOS is fairly well served by Awful app right now. Well down the list of things to do I'm guessing? some kind of api provided rather than just scraping the forums?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ZDR what's plans for mobile? I dunno about anroid but iOS is fairly well served by Awful app right now. Well down the list of things to do I'm guessing?

Aren't both the ios and Android apps just scraping the pages and redrawing them?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

jony ive aces posted:

the armchair computer janitoring

in case you weren't aware, we're typing words into a forum

literally every post anyone makes is "armchair"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The starting point for a VB upgrade would be systematically comparing SAVB to the release it was based on and then that to a later release but apparently people keep losing the floppy withe the SAVB source repo on it so

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

horse mans posted:

in case you weren't aware, we're typing words into a forum

literally every post anyone makes is "armchair"

it's likely some of them are "toilet", op

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Gazpacho posted:

The starting point for a VB upgrade would be systematically comparing SAVB to the release it was based on and then that to a later release but apparently people keep losing the floppy withe the SAVB source repo on it so
lol

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

an enormous diff of the original vbulletin code against the extant codebase would be interesting, but i'm not sure how useful it would be

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

zen death robot posted:

its on a zip drive and i don't have anything with a parallel port@@@

do you seriously need stuff pulled from a zip disk? if so, this subforum may be able to help

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

flakeloaf posted:

quote:

(9:33 AM) Lowtax: who cares about criticism, as long as you post anonymous and don't load thousands of copies of a webpage you're mad at in hidden iframes, it's not a big deal
so baffled that lowtax didn't actually fire radium after he did that, like that was the one time he caught radium blatantly abusing his trust, such that he couldn't whine that he was being maligned "for no reason"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what happened there, I don't even think I remember that incident

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Gazpacho posted:

so baffled that lowtax didn't actually fire radium after he did that, like that was the one time he caught radium blatantly abusing his trust, such that he couldn't whine that he was being maligned "for no reason"

otoh i'm not sure i could tell someone i've known for ten years to just up and gently caress off no matter how bad he was at whatever i was paying him to ostensibly do

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

what happened there, I don't even think I remember that incident
radium rigged the SA forum servers to generate DoS level traffic against SASS, and did it in such a way that also slowed down SA itself, which he then claimed was due to SASS attacking us

then finally he bragged about what he had done and lowtax pretend-fired him

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i wonder how much of radium's mess was done deliberately for job security or just because he could, vs how much of it was because he was incompetent and XY Problemed a solution every time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sweevo posted:

XY Problemed

misandry is real

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sweevo posted:

i wonder how much of radium's mess was done deliberately for job security or just because he could, vs how much of it was because he was incompetent and XY Problemed a solution every time

can't it be both?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Lowtax posted:

I'd prefer if you kept SASS on SASS.

I really hate that acronym, I keep getting it confused with Something Awful Secret Santa.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

zen death robot posted:

hell most of you all seem to really hate it here, wierd why is this sub around?

don't take it too personally zdr. yospos is full of angry sad nerds who've realized that their six and a half figgie salary won't make them happy or take their virginity

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I thought radium went away a loooong time ago.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lite_sleepr posted:

I thought radium went away a loooong time ago.

he did but is not down to background radiation levels yet

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

he did but is not down to background radiation levels yet

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

obstipator posted:

:wth:!!
no one here is mad. we just like talking poo poo about computers. the radium stuff is computer talk so that leads everyone to talk about the forums. pram is a funny man and i dont think he should have been banned for what i read as a jokey joke

please dont delete the funny computer forum.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
im actually Mad as gently caress about radium owning lowtax like this.....

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
ii idolize lowtax because he is older than me and runs a comedy website, two personal dreams o f mine

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Kirk posted:

same, op

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
pourin out a dram for pram

:rip:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

horse mans posted:

an enormous diff of the original vbulletin code against the extant codebase would be interesting, but i'm not sure how useful it would be

On the plus side, we could add newer vBulletin features that I think are lacking, such as emailing you a happy birthday notice on your birthday

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i hear some guy named thermos is working on awesome new forum software, you should check it out

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Kirk posted:

wb :unsmith:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
oh wait i guess youve been in the sci fi thread too

well wb anyway

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
just opensource the forums. pleaseure kevin can write the comment system.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

just opensource the forums. pleaseure kevin can write the comment system.

pleasure meter could be something awful's spin on downvotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
don't make it user-controlled though, that can be exploited and encourages groupthink

have it determined by a perfect rational artificial intelligence algorithm

• Locked thread