Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Finally sat down and read some books

Fuckin' loved Thor. End to end it was great. Del mundos art fits so well. I burst out laughing at that last page

Tbh wasnt much impressed with marvel rising alpha, hopefully the main book with north and Wilson wiring is better

Had a lot of fun with exiles this week [spolier]ben as Blackbeard now raids slave traders[/spoiler] hah owns

Two in one annual was in that awkward place where it's incredibly referential to secret wars and somewhat less so to bendis' infamous iron man but also you see he never really changed because editorial mandate for him to end up as old doom at the end of this and it just feels like a huge step backwards. Although there is that one silent page that makes me wonder if Doom's kid is gonna play a role eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Uh huh.

This was so intensely awful i just skipped that whole scene

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's not a marvel book but we talk about Kelly Thompson in here frequently so i just finished Nancy Drew and it's off to a pretty good start and i really like jenn st-onge's art

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Zdarskys Spider-Man is gonna be doing some wild poo poo in the next arc

https://twitter.com/Dryl/status/1008394534101962752?s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Schneider Heim posted:

Are the Sentry minis good? (The Sentry and Sentry Reborn) They're on sale in Comixology.

The age of the sentry is but the rest I wouldn't bother with

site fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 18, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Synthbuttrange posted:

which is the one where he bones rogue

Paul Jenkins ao3 account

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My first thought is that this teaser is not piquing my interest but if Ewing is gonna write it then okay

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Weapon hex is sorta clever i guess

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol are they not going through with it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thats dumb as hell, but im not gonna read it anyways so :shrug:

Would rather kelly get to do AFORCE!!! rather than more r&g tho

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Haven't looked through em yet but sept solicits are out

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's alright, but if you haven't picked it up already probably worth waiting till it hits a sale or unlimited

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

Like always, "yeeess?"

This is a bad page:

This conversation is funnier if you also read yesterdays champions where she has the same exact argument with kamala about going all minority report on people

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so i just finished slotts iron man, and besides it being fairly generic and not really that interesting (i know i know shocking) it feels incredibly weird that slott decided to jettison the entire supporting cast besides rhodey

friday got replaced with jocasta, mary jane got replaced by rando red head girl, riri is now rando old guy, mom is gone, and theres no explanation theyre just gone it's like what the hell

site fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 21, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is cabe a returning character from the beforetimes then? i didnt recognize her

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
renew your vows

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah Cabe's been around on and off since the 70's

I don't think it's weird to jettison a supporting cast given how often it happens. Bendis ditched everything Taylor did, Taylor ditched everything Gillen did, so on and so forth. It's how a lot of runs kick off with only the absolute most long term characters like Lois Lane mostly immune to this.

Hell Sharon Carter is practically synonymous with Captain America but she disappears for stretches of years at a time.

thats true. i guess my thinking on this is that invincible spent the last like 7 months having permutations of that group together building them into coworker, friends, and teammates for the finale where they all come together and embrace as a more or less familial unit and then the next issue opens and we're not even paying lip service to the idea that any of that mattered or that it even happened at all. it just makes the entire thing retroactively feel meaningless imo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

That's Comics!

yeah i know, i guess it just irks me when it gets thrown in my face like that

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
A-asking for...a friend???

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That is some excruciatingly bad dialogue

Who is that supposed to be, cassie and nadia?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If that's Nadia it's too bad the artist/colorist had never bothered to look at a single image of her before making those pages

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No she was a big part of the last ant man series, she went back to being a hero again though i can't remember what name she's going by now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

How's Lemire's Sentry?

just finished. it was okayish? doesnt really explain anything about how he is in his current circumstances and i know its the first issue and all but having just recently coming off and disliking pretty much everything that came before it didnt really give me a reason to care about sentry being a thing again

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
personally i fuckin hate those old editors note boxes

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They cover up the art, (when in books) are generally used far too liberally, and the with advent of the internet are completely unnecessary

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay tell me why they're good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Archyduke posted:

I mean pre-internet if you read, say, an issue of Captain America with Constrictor in it, and he piqued your interest, the best way of directing you to previous appearances of him would be the issue just telling you*. I remember as a kid picking up an X-Men comic and discovering that Wolverine had no claws-- if there hadn't been a little box letting me know where to look for more information about this revolting development I would have just been totally in the dark.

I always read it as part of a fine balancing act between fluid storytelling, clarity, and playing in a complex shared universe. How do you clue new readers, or even just readers who don't keep up with every title, to what's going on outside of the specific issue in their hands without slowing the narrative to a crawl with non-stop exposition? Claremont is infamous for his pithy, epigrammatic descriptions of peoples' powers-- they're corny now but I'll never be able to forget the gist of what Cannonball and Psylocke do. Editor's notes were another option, and presumably a decent sales mechanism too, in that by their nature they pointed the audience towards more purchases.

*I guess you could read Wizard or something, but like, why. You could also rely on word of mouth but that was iffy. I grew up with a kid who was convinced that Carnage was the vampire version of Spider-Man because a trading card said he was "blood-thirsty."

I mean I'll grant they had their use back in the day, but nostalgia isnt a winning argument for me on why i should like them today esp since i have not been reading comics for decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like backmatter stuff too

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

For another thing, it provides a sense of shared continuity and books co-existing with one another without actually requiring a bunch of effort on the part of the reader. If I see a little note saying "It happened in Amazing Spider-Man #162" then I know, just from looking at that box and nothing more, that this is a story that draws on past continuity that I might not be familiar with, and that helps me to feel like I'm reading an installment of a long, ongoing story even if - I'd argue especially if - I never get around to going back and looking at Amazing Spider-Man #162. Just by that little box's existence I know that this is a writer who'll reference past continuity, and presumably has affection for and knowledge of that continuity, and I know that there's an editor somewhere who cares enough to make sure I know that the writer isn't just pulling this story beat out of his rear end.

This had been the most convincing argument but I can't say I've ever actually felt this way myself. So personally I'd still rather they go away. And unfortunately, in Marvel's case in particular, with everything getting rebooted every 6-12 months it's probably becoming more and more irrelevant for those books

• Locked thread