Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Matt works for Kingpin, so having a showdown between Gwen and Criminal Daredevil would be kind of awesome.

Uh, no. Matt IS the Kingpin. Fisk is in prison, and unlike every other case where that happens and the lackey is too scared or loyal to try and gently caress him over, Matt has an army of ninjas to do his bidding and is a master ninja with the world's best cover. The scene with him and George, complete with Matt wearing a version of the Waid/Samnee "I AM NOT DAREDEVIL" shirt, is the closest to paying off on the high concept that the book got in a while, especially followed by the scenes with George, Gwen and Uncle Ben.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problems you are having are conceptually not with the writing itself so reading the book would have no effect on this conversation.

Though i might pick it up you are actually selling me on it well. I thought it was going to be generic teen drama #100 and it seems he is avoiding that crap for now.

The thing is the teen drama are what the writer is actually good at, and the book is at it's best when it does that stuff. Imagine if in the middle of an issue of Amazing Spider-Man we're introduced to, oh, say, the Winter Soldier, but instead of him just showing up and helping Spidey, we stop the book for 5 pages to go through a Cliffs Notes version of Brubaker's Cap run, which isn't detailed enough to be interesting in and of itself, but takes long enough that you notice it killed the pacing of the book to tell you about a character that shouldn't be dominating the story.

THAT's what happens in every issue of Spider-Gwen. And as Toxx said, those backstory bits rarely add anything that you don't get from the basic high concept of Black Lady Captain America. It really doesn't matter WHY she's a Woman Out Of Time, we know she is because she's CAP. The only one that HAS mattered majorly is Frank Castle, and that was done efficiently. (You could argue Harry Osborn, but I don't think retconning the Green Goblin into his D&D character really helped anyone.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Squirrel Girl OGN and YA novel that Marvel are pushing forward with would certainly imply that book does significant numbers digitally or in trade. I doubt they'd put resources into that kind of thing if the title was a lame duck.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

They could stand to drop Captain Marvel. As much as I love Carol she's got a lot to do in the two other books she's in and it's mostly in space so she's the one who really sticks out as it being weird that she's there. Plus She-Hulk can handle the leader role just as well.

Medusa is the same in terms of "why is she here" but she adds a sort of almost-villain foil to the team that is useful.

It's a bit odd given that Carol's on two teams and isn't leading either (as noted, She-Hulk's the A-Force leader and Blue Marvel and Black Panther kind of jockey for that role in the Ultimates), despite being the character Marvel push as their flagship female hero.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Someone mentioned not too far up that he was in the most recent issues of Mighty Thor.

Mostly in a flashback where he fights a Hulk in Viking times

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And Cap (Steve) is fighting him and Zemo, I believe, in the next arc.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Only as a sex offender.

He was only reading those pamphlets at the doctor's office because he's a scientist and he was bored, OK!?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

I really don't know why writers still give the standard PR bullshit about dismissing all the explanations except super double secret actual factual backstory. It makes it meaningless because everyone knows it's going to be retconed, just go with mind control ,mind control has given us plenty of good suspenseful stories.

Especially in this case when we're all gonna just go "Oh, so Cosmic Cube, then?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Best (well, 'best') part is you know they'll try and defend making Cap a literal Nazi with "Hydra aren't Nazis now!", while using Man In The High Castle as a touchstone for the story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

The internet at large is buying it and is super pissed, or at least the level of comics fans who don't read comics but still decide to get mad at everything they hear are. I've seen a lot of FB/Twitter complaining about it being lazy writing and a slap in the face to long time fans.

I don't really get it, it's like these people have never seen a last-page reveal that turns out to be something else, despite that being like the oldest trick in comics. But yes, assuming NIck Spencer isn't straight up lying when he says it's not mind control, then it's Kobik re-writing his history when she repowered him, probably influenced by Skull or Zemo or someone else who was at Pleasant Hill. Hell, maybe the cube that is Kobik is the one that Skull used to have and it still carries some of his resonance or whatever.

I'm not reading either Cap book, but was Steve's de-aging implied to be separate from the rest of the Avengers getting their powers/gear back? Because in Avengers it looked like Deadpool talked to Kobik for like a minute, and she fixed everyone, so I'm not sure when Skull or Zemo or Sin or whoever would've been able to get to her?

Toxxupation posted:

I just read the first issue of the new Nighthawk and oh boooooooooooooooooooooooy is that series a loving mess. You know how TNC's BP is a really studied and interesting take on black perspective re: superheroism? The new Nighthawk is like, the exact opposite of that. It's really just...oh boy. An ugly and angry and gross mess of a book where everyone's some flavor of a worthless rear end in a top hat.

You'd hate Walker's Power Man or Shaft, then.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Necroskowitz posted:

That whole twist reeks of a kind of edgelord nonsense that's been plaguing comics since comics writers decided to take the wrong lessons from Watchmen back in the 80s.

Sick Grim and Gritty idea: Take the Jewish anti-Nazi Propaganda Golem representing the progressive ideal of America and make him a secret fascist!

Yeah, all other aside, making the dude Jack Kirby created to be a subversion of the Ubermensch into a literal Nazi is the kind of thing you shouldn't even feint towards. Like, Breevoort should've just whacked Spencer with a newspaper and rubbed his nose into the crumpled script while yelling "NO! BAD WRITER!" when he suggested it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

But the latest time the child was also around a man who had been around a bunch of cosmic cubes and has the brain of one of the most powerful telepaths

No. They were talking about Franklin, not Kobik. Unless Pleasant Hill tore the world literally apart in panels I somehow missed?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Oh no, Spider-man is doing crime! But he hates crime! What is going on? This is offensive to Stan Lee and Steve Ditko because they are non-criminal Americans.

So if they retconned it so that Sam Wilson was actually a member of the Sons of the Serpent, a group that's literally meant to be a superpowered KKK, that'd be totally OK because it's CLEARLY not going to last?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

There's a specific line Kamala says in that issue of Miles's book: she knows who he is, but won't tell him who she is. That gets thrown out the window after what future historians will call the Science Fair Incident.

Or the debut of SKYSHARK, America's greatest hero.

Which also fits in with how she found out who Sam is.

Though later issues of Avengers sorta imply the whole team know each other's identities barring most of the team not knowing Thor's.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

I can see being of the opinion that Hydra shouldn't even exist in the comics, or that they should be completely divorced from the idea of real-world racists/nazis. That's a legit thing, that maybe we shouldn't use them in the same way Spider-Man shouldn't really be fighting ISIS. But if you accept that Hydra is an acceptable comic book villain organization, then Cap isn't sacred in terms of comic book tropes like mind control or whatever.

Which would be one thing, but then Brevoort goes online and pulls the completely un-credible "It's not mind control. NOT AN IMAGINARY STORY!" crap. It paints him either as an idiot who believes his own writer when he's told that, or a liar who has the audacity to act confused when the provocative, borderline offensive thing he signed off on... provokes and offends some of the audience.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Plus, arresting someone for something they MAY do is pretty sketchy. I'll be honest, I'm not reading the main mini, but just based on the premise, I'm all in on Team Iron Man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Spider-Women has been loving great.

I haven't gotten to it in my digital pile yet, but please, please tell me Evil Silk called her Spider-Gwen, because otherwise that's incredibly stupid to have her call herself that. I only barely tolerate the comic itself being called that, I don't need it happening in-story.

hope and vaseline posted:

I.. didn't hate Civil War 2? At least it's a far better event start than AoU, but that's one hell of a low bar.

Well, they did set up the fact that Ulysees's mind is unreadable. He's a brand new player throwing out visions to world-ending events, but who knows just how trustworthy this guy is, if he has some other kind of agenda here. Perhaps stopping his visions could actually be the catalyst for something down the line with a much worse effect than each separate event he's predicting. I'm on Stark's side for being wary around this guy. Now about the actual character deaths, yeah that seemed contrived as hell and seems like a lovely way to actually kick start Tony's actions at the end there.

If a telepath can't verify his predictions, that makes him even worse, because what's to stop him just lying about something and turning around with "uhhh, good job, by killing Squirrel Girl you totally thwarted Annihlus' evil plan!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll grant this, it makes sense that Carol would be OK with using his predictions, because as a former fighter pilot, she's probably used to missions going off of intelligence that is difficult or impossible to fully verify.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

Civil War II is going to end with the reveal that the whole event was one of Ulysses' predictions and he'll do something so that it never actually happens.

This is so dumb I hope Bendis has the stones to do it, and drink the fanboy tears as they try and work out how to make the tie-ins make sense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's actually a really kickin song playing on Peter's in-suit stereo (powered by WebTech), so he's throwing up the horns as he headbangs. He doesn't even know this is a big superhero fight, he thought it was like the Avengers annual softball meet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Carol leak the Cosmic Cube rumor and that's why Thanos came in the first place?

Nah, he was already headed to Earth based on what was happening in Ultimates. Carol didn't even know about the cube until the Shi'ar told her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

In Patsy Walker, she's one of the main supporting characters. Definitely doesn't star in the book, but is more then just a cameo.

To elaborate, the big subplot in Hellcat is Patsy trying to get her old modelling rival to give her back the rights to the romance comics that her mother published about them. Jen is her legal representation for that, and Jessica Jones is the PI Hedy (the rival) hired to get dirt on Patsy but is swapping sides to help Patsy preserve her secret identity.

(Also, I really liked Jessica's little Jewel charm thingy on her phone in the last issue, they should carry that over into the TV show.)

SynthOrange posted:

Not as awesome as her date ("Superheroes arent real")

And this was fantastic. As was SG's whole response of "Dude, I can literally text nearly ANY Avenger you want and we can hang with them- you wanna meet Wundarr? Done!- ... and then NEVER go out ever again"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ElNarez posted:

Yeah but they did stop Thanos, so, they didn't really need more than the Ultimates, A-Force and some Inhumans.

Like, the only thing that went wrong is Rhodey dying, and, he was never part of the plan, so the only way he could've been saved is if someone looked into the future and changed it. Carol is unambiguously in the right so far, and Tony is just being a giant baby.

Almost like they have someone who can do just this. How come he didn't see this and go "Yo, War Machine maybe shouldn't go cuz he'll die and She-Hulk will be messed up"?

Also, there's a decent chance that this is exactly what the solution will be, and the last issue will have Ulysses going to Carol and saying exactly that, and there's your reset button.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the people that buy stuff in digital and trades aren't people who care about a kinda-sorta mobile game tie-in named after a crossover from 30 years ago, no matter how good it is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's basically fortune telling for nerds. The study of various disciplines and trends in an attempt to predict future behavior and conditions, to be very reductive about a slightly more complicated subject. Tony being a futurist is literally saying he knows better than you and that's why he takes steps to control things.

Hence why Hawkeye uses it to make fun of him loving up in the third Cap movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The futurist/transhumanist element is more a thing that Ellis did in his Iron Man run. Fraction also played with it a little, but I don't think Bendis or Gillen really bothered and it's barely relevant in any Avengers/Illuminati stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Or there's the Ultimate universe explanation where they were a side-effect of trying make another Captain America.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

Is the prostitute stuff even still a thing anymore? I thought it was well deservedly swept under the continuity rug.

I feel like it was touched on by Liu. I don't think Taylor's mentioned it though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...where the gently caress is Tom even getting Avengers yaoi doujinshi?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Its pretty fun. Also drat that preview for the cover of #2

The preview I saw was pretty good, with Loki latching on to the election because it's basically a battle fought not with facts, but with stories.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

The premise is 'We need a movie tie-in'. It delivered exactly what I expected. :geno:

Also I'd vote Loki

LIES YOU CAN BELIEVE IN
LOKI 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I think you and Kitty are the only ones who were fans of it.

Nope. I liked it too, and a large part of the non-BSS comics-reading internet did as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
MU works fine on browsers, but it's a pain to navigate, or was, the last time I had it.

JoshTheStampede posted:

US Agent. You could throw Nuke in there I guess?

He already said USAgent (John Walker).

American Dream, if you're counting MC2. The 3 different Nomads. Golden Girl. And Free Spirit, that one weird attempt to both give Cap a new sidekick and try this new 'women's lib' thing by making the character a violent brainwashed misandrist who dressed in skimpy outfits.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also really miss Avengers Academy. Gage was really good and actually made me give a crap about almost everyone in the book, from Finesse and Hazmat, down to Hank Pym, Tigra and Julie Power.

twistedmentat posted:

I like the government guy saying the Ultimates look like a Benetton ad.

Also, no-one's mentioned that, unless I'm mistaken, Ewing's using the weird interdimensional G-men stuff from Joe Kelly's Deadpool?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

He's using stuff from newuniversal.

Still insane and amazing. By which I mean literally making me gape in amazement.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Thats not a hammer that's an axe.

Yeah, Ultimate Thor's hammer actually has a hammer-y bit on the opposite side to the ax head.

oh god this is gonna be Bucky's gun all over again isnt it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

So anyone got some spare time and want to put a puzzle together to see which characters are getting the big push in the fall? I'm guessing most of them are in the teasers from the last week but I see glimpses of a few, Cable and Gwenpool for example, that weren't in the teasers.

Eh, CBR or Rich will have done it by Monday.

And when does the new Marvel Previews come out? Next Tuesday?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Who's that in front of Prowler? And is that She-Hulk or Gamora with the swords (I assume the latter, but it's kinda small on my monitor.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Come to think of it, Squirrel Girl, Miles, and Spider-Gwen are all good examples of radically successful new characters who aren't straight white men. Also, the Runaways.

The Runaways? Exactly one of which still appears in comics regularly? Maybe two if you count Victor.

Like, if you can't keep Molly Hayes in comics, I'm pretty sure that proves the point. (And the lame extreme future version Bendis did doesn't count)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How can you tell that's Amadeus as the Hulk? Is it the watch thing? Cuz that looks like a regular old angry Hulk and I thought Amadeus was like, horny teen when he Hulks out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Squizzle posted:

Mr. Alonso grew up in San Francisco and went to UC Santa Cruz and Columbia. There's remarkably little chance he's some sort of secret homophobe unless he spent the first ~25 years of his life shuddering with repressed rage at the cultural mores surrounding him.

I read his statement as understanding that how we talk about sex and sexuality has evolved a lot in the past 15-30 years, and continues to evolve at a pretty steady clip. Instead of saying "this is a lesbian and her lesbian trans partner", he'd rather just...show that. Describe the plainly-presented reality (of the fiction) in whatever terms are most appropriate, but Marvel won't risk either being offensively behind the times/inaccurate now, or describing things in ways that we as a culture might realize later are problematic.

Marvel under AA hasn't been shy or tawdry about showing diverse kinds of people and relationships, so it's not like they're trying to hide this stuff. Things are what they are, and you can call them as you see them.

Alonso is weird in that he'll say the absolute wrong thing but do the right one. Like when their last big round of title announcements had more diverse characters, but no women or people of colour in creative roles, his response was basically "SHUT UP! WE CAN DO WHATEVER WE WANT! DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO MAN!"

...and then announced Chelsea Cain and Kate Niemcziek on Mockingbird and TNC and Stelfreeze on BP and Walker and Greene on Power Man/Iron Fist.

bobkatt013 posted:

If that is Mary Jane then during the All New storyline

EDIT: Ignore I am a dumb.

• Locked thread