Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Howard the Duck (Chip Zdarsky & Joe Quinones)Also a direct continuation of the previous book by the same team. They still haven't fully resolved him getting a new hat.

No it resolved that. He bought a "Pobody's Nerfect in Florida" baseball cap at a truck stop on his way to the Nexus of All Realities. Like you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Skeematic posted:

His Secret Avengers run was great and have me high hopes for Bucky but unfortunately that was horrible. I wish he'd get back to Zero, that's my favourite work of his.

Zero is done. Like, it's complete as a statement. The only book he's got going now is Wolf, and it's pretty good. Then again, I liked that Bucky run as an interrogation on superhero fiction as masculine power fantasy involving the same people punching each other over and over again, so, grain of salt and all that.

Also my impression was that he left Big Two comics because a) he could and b) they give a pass to way too many bona fide dirtbags and have yet to make up for years and years of nasty poo poo.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Hey quick warning : pages from Civil War II have leaked, read at your own peril

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
So, is talking about the FCBD Civil War II preview fair game now? Because, sheesh, that was a bummer and a half.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The narration talks about time, and the lady who enrolls Steve's mom into Hydra is named Sinclair. That pretty much screams "Sin traveled to 1926 to nudge Steve into being raised to become a Hydra sleeper agent". The coloring in the flashback scenes is really not that subtle.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's legitimate reasons why this would feel weird, but, as an examination of how fascism works by writing a version of history that fits their need for a convenient narrative they can sell to the disenfranchised, I'm willing to give it a shot.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Civil War II: Tony is still wrong and dumb

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I love how Tony acts like he has some moral high ground when earlier in the issue he loving brags about how bad Rhodey's armor is compared to his. Like, maybe give him the suit that can get punched by Thanos instead of being a huge jerk.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Tony's insane protectiveness about his armor tech has never, ever made sense to me. You have to have a fundamental belief that you're better than the entire rest of humanity to think that if your technology was reverse engineered it would lead to more war crimes than awesome heroes.

the craziest thing is that, meanwhile, in Invincible Iron Man, THAT EXACT THING YOU JUST SAID happens, and it's totally fine

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The disaster that happened was that the team who used the power were stupid and didn't plan enough. This isn't civil liberties vs safety, this is 'you rear end in a top hat, next time call your entire speed-dial to fight the space god' vs 'aw poo poo yea, sorry man'.

It's not even that. Rhodey was just here because he was visiting Carol, then Thanos happened and he thought he'd go and help. He died stopping Thanos, which is a thing you probably know could happen if you put on a costume and call yourself War Machine. There is absolutely no way you can argue Carol is wrong.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

But Thanos didn't just "happen". They planned a mission to stop Thanos' vague cosmic cube plans because they knew when and where he would be because of their future telling boy! That's what the event is about! Which implies that there was some forethought into who would be going on Operation Stop Thanos. Sure Rhodey was there and volunteered himself, but during the strategy session when Carol was calling in the Ultimates and A-Force she could've dropped a line to the other 50 superheroes she knows.

Yeah but they did stop Thanos, so, they didn't really need more than the Ultimates, A-Force and some Inhumans.

Like, the only thing that went wrong is Rhodey dying, and, he was never part of the plan, so the only way he could've been saved is if someone looked into the future and changed it. Carol is unambiguously in the right so far, and Tony is just being a giant baby.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
aw heck guess who's back in one issue of one Civil War II tie-in miniseries

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

So having seen CW 2 #3 it totally reads like Bendis doesn't actually know Banner isn't the Hulk anymore which is just

I'm tired

I'm so very tired

It adresses it. It says that, while Banner hasn't been The Hulk in a while, he's been experimenting on himself with gamma cells, which has never been good news ever. Hawkeye made a judgement call based on the available evidence, which is supposed to be an indictment of Carol because her way made it so he went in thinking the worst was gonna happen, but really, in this specific case, in this specific context, it's way more of a "Clint is terrible at decisions" thing.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I don't think this issue was as bad as the second or third issues, but this may possibly contain the worst characterization of Carol Danvers that's ever existed, so that's saying something.

The worst part is that it's not even consistent with Carol's actions in previous issues of CWII. Like, she went from "Knowing where the bad stuff is gonna be, let's put people there and make it a controlled environment where casualties will be limited" to "WELP THOUGHT POLICE" without any explanation. You can't even say "oh it's those dicks at S.H.I.E.L.D. loving things up for nebulous reasons", it's something Carol is totally down with. And it's the worst, dumbest way to use Ulysses, which makes even less sense since she's in the Ultimates with like, half a dozen supergeniuses.

And then also the Guardians of the Galaxy show up.

Man what a terrible event.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

SilverSupernova posted:

Vic is busy being the cool uncle for Vision's kids.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Squizzle posted:

They will, I'm certain, fold Miracleman into the mainstream Marvel universe eventually, but if you asked me to lay down money, I wouldn't bet on it happening in the next year.

And absolutely not with Greg Land attached, c'mon.

they already did (kind of) in Fraction's Defenders run

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's one Jeff Lemire who's doing the best work of his career in Moon Knight, and another that's just mailing in his Death of X scripts, and I have no idea how they can be the same person.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
so Marvel is still sitting on S.H.I.E.L.D. #5 and #6

https://twitter.com/DustinWeaver12/status/802253887814021120?lang=fr

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
looking back at it, it's not pointing at specific people as much as it is isolating Cap from the rest of the Illuminati

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

It's not just the way the cast being written being hamfisted and "How do you do Fellow Kids?" It's the fact that what happens in the comic is so utterly not what anyone reading this book wants to see from this team. I was excited for Champions when I thought Champions would be like Marvel Adventures in the main universe. Instead it's been "A very special episode soapbox" that the book completely cannot keep to. It's all the whining that "Superheroes don't solve REAL problems" with the subtlety of a sledgehammer and no fun at all.

that people expected anything else from the writer of Strange Fruit, which is one of the most clueless comics ever published, has always been weird to me

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Also we need to bring up the fact that American Kaiju is literally Marine Todd from the chain e-mails.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's one thing that maybe we haven't talked about in talking about Marvel's recent foibles and it's the fact that the books driving the lines, which is to say, the events and the books those events spin from, have been depressing as poo poo to read. Heroes being hypocritical dipshits and making America into a white nationalist ethnostate is maybe an interesting story to pull once in a while, but it's been the basis of back-to-back events between Standoff, Civil War II, Inhumans vs. X-Men, Secret Empire and I'm probably forgetting some. At some point, trying to understand the current Marvel status quo is a chore materially and emotionally. And sometimes the books aren't even good, which makes it worse.

The DC Rebirth line opened with an 80-page one-shot promising poo poo wouldn't be miserable all the goddamn time, and that's a pretty compelling argument to make when you're selling the comfort food of fiction.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

To be fair, it's Fox, promoting the bad X-Men TV show that's not Legion.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

El Tortuga posted:

They still need to show the 1,000,000 B.C. Ghost Rider, and that is very, very exciting.

well guess what

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was under the impression that Marvel had given new characters a lot of chances, but they just didn't all sell. :shrug:

That's disputable. I'd argue they tried re-capturing the lightning in a bottle of Ms. Marvel, but without putting any of the effort required for people who'd be interested in such a character to know that the books are on sale. They just send these books out in the wild and expect them to do well. And when they don't, they pull the plug immediately, which makes people even less likely to try things out.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Roth posted:

Sounds like they're thinking it will bring back old readers like DC Rebirth did.

Alex Alonso is making the news rounds with the money shot from the issue and Wolverine is back. So, that's how they wanna bring back readers, mostly.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
the primers meant to re-introduce the characters to new or lapsed readers coming in for the "big" Legacy "marketing" "push" are printed at the end of the books and I feel like that says something about Legacy

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Nice scarequotes

I mean mostly I'm making fun of the fact Legacy isn't making anywhere near the amount of noise that Rebirth made.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Hey, has Cebulski been insanely, brutally fired yet? Feels like that should happen like, yesterday.

of course not

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's a reason why the line pops up in both Avengers and New Avengers

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
here we go again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2BfTXIwABo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
man talk about falling upwards

dude writes the worst Marvel event of this century, and here he is, on Amazing goddamn Spider-Man

• Locked thread