Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PaybackJack posted:

I'm so sad that Rachel-Cole Alves didn't get a bigger push as "female Punisher". Rucka did such a nice job building her up. With Marvel doing a big push to get other races/genders into the mantle of their popular guys I was surprised there was nothing announced for her coming out of the ANAD wave of books.

That does seem like an odd omission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

bobkatt013 posted:

Cyclops did something everyone hates them, there is the m-pox, and decided they needed a new place.

The downfall of mutantkind being Cyclops' fault would be perfect and needs to be true.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Wilson said that Carol was only going to be in A-force on a guest starring role, not in every issue, but it seems like that's not happening. I'd say drop Carol for a bit and put in Jess or Storm or Rogue or some other top tier lady hero for a bit.

I do like how the book exists because Wilson said she wanted to see characters that don't hang out often to come together. Captain Marvel never would hang out with Dazzler or Nico otherwise, so she put them together.

Why would Marvel put a mutant in charge of a non-Xman book? It doesn't go with their current stance of burying them until they get the movie rights. It's a good policy too mutants are big jerks. :colbert:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

People say this all the time but there's not really any evidence that they are shying away from mutants in the way they are for the Fantastic Four. There's 3 team X-books and two Wolverine books despite Logan being dead, plus Uncanny Avengers, '92, everything Deadpool is in, etc. There's mutants all over the drat place. Making Squirrel Girl not a mutant was more a Ryan North joke than anything and the Maximoffs have had like twelve backstories anyway.

I'm not saying that Marvel is completely freezing out the mutants. They still have a following and make money. But they haven't got a big reason to push mutants over the Avengers or even Spider-Man who they at least have the merch rights to and a deal to share the movies.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Sunspot's in charge of the new avengers and just disbanded them to start up the secret avengers, but that's more an indication of how much Sunspot rules that he's able to overcome being a mutant to be genuinely good outside his book.

Sunspot's real power is that he's rich, not a mutant.

KittyEmpress posted:

First off, She-Hulk is A-Force's leader. Carol never has been. Carol was never teased as being it. So you obviously don't even read the comic you want to complain of.

Second part, Dazzler is literally right there on the team, and is a mutant.

She-Hulk's a mutant?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Tony Stark can survive a series where he is the rear end in a top hat because of the movie good will. And who doesn't enjoy rear end in a top hat Tony Stark?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Cyclops turning into a totalitarian rear end in a top hat is a natural evolution of a normal rear end in a top hat given super powers.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Why are comics fans so obsessed with changing the sexuality of fictional characters, especially when there is no basis for it? Can't they be happy with superheros punching nazi-dionsaurs on the moon?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Because the vast, vast, vast majority of iconic comic characters were created in a time frame when having a protagonist who was anything but a heterosexual white male was a complete no-go and pushing for greater representation is important, mixed with some people who just like the idea of two people loving.

Greater representation is fine. But changing a character so completely without any ground to build on is just fan wankery.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

... Really? You're going to say that for comics?

I mean even ignoring all the real-world reasons why someone would be in the closet, this is a comic universe where the same characters express directly opposing viewpoints depending on era and writers, and where almost every character has such a long storied history that it's pretty trivial to find grounds to justify anything you want and probably have canon things to back it up.

Yeah I am. X-O worded it a lot better than I could.

X-O posted:

Well sure if you want to make Cap gay even though in 75 years of stories there's never been any inclination he was gay, and in fact plenty of proof that he wasn't, sure go ahead. It doesn't make any sense. It's not like an Iceman situation where there were theories from fans for years that he might be. But the problem is, as pointed out when this this was trending on twitter or whatever, the whole campaign is completely disingenuous. It wasn't people wanting Cap to just be gay. It was people specifically wanting Cap and Bucky to be a couple. And not even based on the comics, just because of the movie. The same people would likely be just as mad if Cap was gay and not with Bucky. Because that's what they want in the movie.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Those two Buckys are the same person though. It's like wanting Batman and Nightwing to gently caress - sure it's not pedophilia NOW, Dick is old enough, but the relationship they have was inherently paternal for most of it and even now where they're closer to equals that dynamic is still there.

Not to mention that Bruce adopts Dick so he'd legally be loving his son. Just eww. :barf:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They're the 'same person' except that their history and personality and characters have been retconned and rewritten so much that trying to claim that the original Bucky is the same as the new Bucky is as dishonest as hell.

If you play that game you can just as readily point out the fact that Reed Richards met Sue Storm when she was 12 years old and he was a college freshman. (Something that has seen been explicitly retconned IIRC.)

I just read Civil War and Sue brings up meeting Reed at 12 so if it has been retconned it has been done recently. If I recall as the scene is written it's Sue having a school girl crush (character's words) and Reed being completely oblivious because he is an autistic brainiac college freshman and not creeping on a 12 year old.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I'm going to start answering the phone "gently caress off we're sold out of Uncanny Inhumans #11."

26 calls about this loving book today. Hope you have your copies reserved.

I just googled to see the preview and it autofills as you type Uncanny Inhumans. That is some serious hype.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Incredibly low ordered book despite the CW2 tie in banner. Death of Lockjaw. Standard cover is hitting $20 on ebay already.

People love animals. And Lockjaw loves hugs.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That's really bizarre. I can't even think of what might be causing that.

Noble sacrifice would probably be up there on the possibilities.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

TwoPair posted:

It was in one of the last two FF runs (so either Fraction or Robinson, I forget). They actually referenced it in a letters page where someone wrote in mad about the retcon and they responded by just saying "Yeah we know a lot of people liked John Byrne's stuff back in the day but we find it creepy and it's 2015 now".

That makes sense. The Civil War stuff is just fresh in my brain from binging on it through Unlimited. I hadn't known about the twelve year old thing and I was like "ewww, why even do that?"

HIJK posted:

"This will legitimize the slash fangirls!" Well Jesus, so what? It's not like that would be the stupidest decision Marvel's ever made.

Yes it would. That kind of thinking spawned Twilight and we all saw how that ended.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Question:
Is FemThor one of those stories where all the guys become sexist assholes all of a sudden? 'cuz I haven't followed comics in years and I was checking in on my favorite supervillain couple (Absorbing Man and Titania) and apparently Creel decided to be a sexist rear end in a top hat and taunt Thor for being a woman (right next to his super-awesome wife he loves) because...you know, you can't do empowerment without something to fight against. I'm just going off the Wiki article here, maybe it misrepresents the situation, but I've heard Odin is also apparently now a sexist rear end in a top hat in spite of the fact he once left Sif in charge of all of Asgard while he slept.

In any event, I'm glad Crusher and Skeeter are still together. They're not bad people, they're just kind of....slow. Also I don't know why this whole Pleasant Hill thing was such a big shock. Does no one remember how SHIELD brainwashed Sin years ago? That was a hosed up little story and I loved it. But yeah, government/military = evil in Marvel, always and forever. Osborn was just honest about it.

I'm not sure why it's surprising that supervillains would be assholes to a woman. They are supervillains!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Marvel Supervillains are a special breed, it's why I love them so much. When you think "SUPER VILLAIN" you think Darkseid or Thanos or some thing hideously evil. But most Marvel supervillains are just weirdos and idiots and don't mean anything bad by it. This is like 90% of Spidey's rogues from what I have read.

My fascination with it all started back when there was a funeral for Stilt-Man. How can you hate them after that? Supervillains are mostly just a bunch of losers with the very occasional real bad seed.

And Creel loves his wife deeply.

Do you think marvel supervillains sit around thinking about which of the good guys they arch would be a good criminal? Like do Electro and Doc Oct sit around counting money and say to themselves "You know Spider-Man's never gives a hint about being a villain but man would I love to do crimes with him. That would be so hot."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Is the general accepted way to identify the characters who have been or are Thor right now to call Jane Foster "Thor" and the asgardian formerly known as Thor "Odinson?" I imagine a lot of people call her FemThor because of the video game habit like referring to the Mass Effect protagonist FemShep and DudeShep.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

It's not subtext. It's literally text, in her first issue, that she's Thor, not lady Thor, not new Thor, not femThor, but loving Thor. I should probably dig up the panels where Aaron (fairly heavy-handedly actually) goes "No, stop using dumb descriptors, she's loving Thor, the guy with the metal arm who's not wielding Mjolnir is Not Thor, his name is Odinson" which is a stylistic choice virtually all books that use the Odinson since have subscribed to and that Aaron most certainly does within the bounds of Mighty Thor.

To me it's a much cleaner clarification than having to use "FosThor" which is a dumb word anyways, but when you use "Thor" and "Odinson" people think they're synonymous words when Aaron goes out of his way to explain the difference. But whatever.

Yes I get that she is loving Thor in the comics. I was referring to people describing the comics in a way that would make it clear to someone who might not be up to date on what happened recently in the comics.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I disagree that the original and legacy characters can't co-exist or even supplant the original. If you ask anyone who grew up in the 90's who the Green Lantern is they are going to say John Stewart due to his featured role in the Justice League animated series. If you go earlier you'll have people say it's Kyle Rayner. It would probably still be like that if Geoff Johns didn't have a giant hard-on for Hal Jordan and made it an editorial mandate that he is the one and true Green Lantern.

Peter and Miles can happily co-exist in the same space and have cool stories told about them. If you get hung up on who came first and who owns a name you're missing the forest for the trees. Because it's perfectly alright if Peter came first because that is how it happen. And when Miles became a new character that was so popular Marvel plucked him out of another dimension that is fine and good too. There is plenty of room for everyone out there.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That is because you're talking about two different mediums. John Stewart was the only meaningful Green Lantern in the Justice League Cartoon so anyone who didn't read comics would only know about him. He wasn't sharing screentime with Hal Jordan or Kyle. Kyle likewise was the Only Green Lantern except for Guy who was either a Yellow Lantern or Warrior at that time.

I'm not sure how the mediums invalidate my claim. Are you saying if Hal and John had been in the cartoon together John wouldn't have a chance of being his own character? When that bad Green Lantern movie came out Hal was front and center in the comics but a large group of people wanted to know why the Green Lantern was being played by a white canadian comedian and not say the Rock. Though the Lanterns are probably a bad example given they are all being actively buried for the one true white hope Hal Jordan.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Not to mention how enthusiastic black comic book readers and black people in general were about Marvel making Captain America black. They can all co-exist together because there are different fan bases for them that can and will overlap. There is no set in stone mandate that if hero A is alive and being written about hero B is doomed to failure.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Having read through Civil War for the first time on Unlimited I was curious what other big events are essential reading in everyone's opinion as far as modern Marvel goes? Secret Wars 2 I would imagine and I heard Original Sin was entertaining.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

My only concern is how she will get all that awesome hair in that helmet.

Better yet what kind of sound effect will the artist draw the first time she takes the helmet off and that hair do opens up like an umbrella.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

SilverSupernova posted:

Okay, seriously. How is her hair fitting in that.

Super-science!

Also the lack of boob armor and combat heels is nice.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I enjoy super-science whenever possible.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Rhyno posted:

All white people are brothers united by our love of racquetball.

And mayo, don't forget mayo.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

I hope they just stop making comics in general so people will quit talking about comics in this comics forum, that's what I hope.

If that happens what are goons going to project their weird sexual fantasies and convoluted gently caress laws onto?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Marvel just needs to go whole hog and turn all the classic Xmen into genocidal villains like they did with Cyclops.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Jean Grey - yep
Beast - The worst
Angel - yep
Iceman - the only one left

Throw in Storm and Emma and you have a really potent team of rear end in a top hat mutants to go rampaging around with.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Angel and Beast are there to watch the car, I guess.

Beast is turning the car into some sort of time continium destroying bomb. As far as Angel goes yeah he's just there to make sure no one scratches the paint.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I was gonna say that the Inhumans won't be villains what with the movie, but apparently they've cancelled that one, so whatever. v:v:v

Marvel is always redoing that movie schedule. The Inhumans movie could pop back up at a later date or they might wrap the characters into another movie.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

So does Bendis secretly hate Carol? Because with the movie gaining some hype with casting you'd think you'd want to put a better foot forward. :confused:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

Them plus Carol getting chair-faced have been the best parts of this whole event, not that the bar's been set high at all.

Although it's funny that nobody mentioned what a coincidence it is that this blind redhead lawyer they totally don't know personally was the prosecutor at Hawkeye's trial AND the executor of Banner's will.

Matt probably gives discounts for super friends.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Marvel vs Cyclops.

Finally a villain we can all agree needs to go.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Xinder posted:

I can't decide if I hate or love this character now. And that's the best feeling.

Someone post those panels of Osbourne meeting the kids when he wanted to see their parents.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Inhumans vs X-men 3: X harder.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

I just want to see the X-Men bursting out of hell to thrash some inhumans. Which will actually happen, because the X-Men are currently residing in a hell dimension. They have to live there, because that plane of existence is more hospitable than Earth right now thanks to the inhumans waging genocide against mutants.

Have I mentioned lately that the inhumans are waging genocide against the mutants?

Black Bolt did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

site posted:

I can't help but imagine bb's voice as being comically high-pitched

Black Bolt played by Chris Tucker channeling Ruby Rod.

• Locked thread